Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones -- "Breaker of Chains" -- 4/20/14

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-14, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- "Breaker of Chains" -- 4/20/14

I enjoyed the episode, I didn't think it was that filler-ish. But I guess after every big event there's a bit of a let down for the following episode that has to explain the aftermath. I really liked Tywin's discussion about what makes a good king, and the discussion of Tyrion's trial and the judges as well. I actually didn't care for Daenerys at the end, only because it felt like we've seen this twice before already (as she even explained).
Old 04-21-14, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Jam Master Jay
Speaking of brew, I picked up a bottle of the Fire and Blood Red Ale. Has anyone else tried this yet? The parts with the chilies makes me kind of nervous since I'm not big fan of spicy beers but couldn't pass up grabbing one.

It's okay. I had it a couple of weeks ago on tap and it was not as spicy as I thought it would be. It's much better than last years back licorice tasting one but falls short of their first blonde series.
Old 04-21-14, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The last scene of what's his name that was recast was pretty awesome. I knew the horse was going to get fucked as was that rider.
Old 04-21-14, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still can't see him as anything beyond the stupid fucked up drugged up Sonny from Treme.
Old 04-21-14, 03:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jam Master Jay
Speaking of brew, I picked up a bottle of the Fire and Blood Red Ale. Has anyone else tried this yet? The parts with the chilies makes me kind of nervous since I'm not big fan of spicy beers but couldn't pass up grabbing one.

They need a variation called Strong Belwas. Has a nice ring to it.

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Uh, so Jaime raped Cersei right next to their son's corpse? Man, that family is really messed up.
In fairness to Jaime, Cersei probably says "No" while really meaning "Yes." She does have a slightly-skewed view of interpersonal relationships. Of course, at this point, it's more love-hate and about wielding power than sex anyway. Or guilt sex. Or angry make-up sex. Or escapist sex.

But when they grabbed the tapestry, we were waiting for the corpse to fall onto them. That would have leaned toward messed up.

If they had invited the Red Viper & his concubine to join them, that would have been messed up for sure.

Last edited by creekdipper; 04-21-14 at 03:13 AM.
Old 04-21-14, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper

In fairness to Jaime, Cersei was saying "No" while really meaning "Yes."
I thought Jamie had turned a corner, but he just raped his sister.
Old 04-21-14, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
I still can't see him as anything beyond the stupid fucked up drugged up Sonny from Treme.
Did you stop watching after the first (maybe second) season? Because Sonny grew into a more likeable character.
Old 04-21-14, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Yeah, but it wasn't rape-rape.
Old 04-21-14, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
In fairness to Jaime, Cersei probably says "No" while really meaning "Yes." She does have a slightly-skewed view of interpersonal relationships. Of course, at this point, it's more love-hate and about wielding power than sex anyway. Or guilt sex. Or angry make-up sex. Or escapist sex.

But when they grabbed the tapestry, we were waiting for the corpse to fall onto them. That would have leaned toward messed up.

If they had invited the Red Viper & his concubine to join them, that would have been messed up for sure.
The Aristocrats!
Old 04-21-14, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone
The Aristocrats!

I wonder how many here got that.
Old 04-21-14, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Horses are dumb.
Old 04-21-14, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought this was one of the typical "let's catch our breath" episode for GoT. Not bad but not much happens. It serves to remind viewers where everyone is and not much else. Having said that, I did enjoy:
1. The return of Littlefinger was very nicely handled. He gets it.
2. That shot of the crowd on top of the absoutely enormous gate of Mereen was awesome. Where the hell those catapults came from is anyone's guess. Also, what are they feeding Danaerys' army?
3. The whole "Champion of Mereen" scene was a missed opportunity. A dragon should have simply swooped in and set the guy on fire while he was peeing. Would have been much funnier, a reference to the "shoot the swordsman" scene in Indiana Jones and appropriate to Danaerys' character. Instead, they used it to set up Daario.
4. Was that a shot of Braavos in the ad for the website? Have we been there before? I don't remember.
5. The scene with Oberyn and Tywin was pretty good. Mainly, it revealed that Tywin is likely the only clear-thinking man in the Red Keep. He seems to get it that huge threats are growing around the Seven Kingdom borders and that the Lannisters need all the friends they can get. This is more than can be said for most of the other characters in the story who can't seem to see beyond their own tiny squabbles.
6. Cersei treated like furniture again by her father and then raped by her brother next to her son's corpse. She's basically the devil incarnate, but can you really blame her?
7. The Hound was right about that farmer.
8. Ygritte shooting an arrow through the head of an unarmed, helpless and innocent man in front of a child reminds us that she's hardly an angel.

Other than that, ho hum.
Old 04-21-14, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I really liked Tywin's discussion about what makes a good king
I forgot to mention that scene, which is a crime, because it was an excellent scene. Thank goodness Tommen isn't Joffrey II. Joffrey was a jerk by the time we first met him.

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I read a recap this morning that suggests that scene plays out differently from the books in that here it was played as flat out rapey, but in the books they go into more detail that it was more grief/guilt/bonding over the death of their son, etc. It did strike me as odd that Cersei couldn't stop a one handed man.

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Other than that, ho hum.
Yeah, other than all that.
Old 04-21-14, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Cutting Strong Belwas is one of the few missteps in the consolidation of the series so far. I think his character is so different that it adds a lot of depth to the series and should have been included.
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
He has a fight and then vomits two books later.
I thought this was one of the typical "let's catch our breath" episode for GoT. Not bad but not much happens. It serves to remind viewers where everyone is and not much else. Having said that, I did enjoy:
1. The return of Littlefinger was very nicely handled. He gets it.
2. That shot of the crowd on top of the absoutely enormous gate of Mereen was awesome. Where the hell those catapults came from is anyone's guess. Also, what are they feeding Danaerys' army?
3. The whole "Champion of Mereen" scene was a missed opportunity. A dragon should have simply swooped in and set the guy on fire while he was peeing. Would have been much funnier, a reference to the "shoot the swordsman" scene in Indiana Jones and appropriate to Danaerys' character. Instead, they used it to set up Daario.
4. Was that a shot of Braavos in the ad for the website? Have we been there before? I don't remember.
5. The scene with Oberyn and Tywin was pretty good. Mainly, it revealed that Tywin is likely the only clear-thinking man in the Red Keep. He seems to get it that huge threats are growing around the Seven Kingdom borders and that the Lannisters need all the friends they can get. This is more than can be said for most of the other characters in the story who can't seem to see beyond their own tiny squabbles.
6. Cersei treated like furniture again by her father and then raped by her brother next to her son's corpse. She's basically the devil incarnate, but can you really blame her?
7. The Hound was right about that farmer.
8. Ygritte shooting an arrow through the head of an unarmed, helpless and innocent man in front of a child reminds us that she's hardly an angel.

Other than that, ho hum.
That was a miss for sure. With strong Belwas it would have been a cool scene. Without him they should have gone with the dragon. I thought that was about to happen when new darwin stepped in. It was a weak scene, any half-wit with a long stick could have done that.

Old 04-21-14, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Did you stop watching after the first (maybe second) season? Because Sonny grew into a more likeable character.
Yeah, for sure. He was probably the most likable character by the end.
Old 04-21-14, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It was cool to see that Littlefinger was one of the masterminds of what happen din episode 2. The poor "fool" got fucked.
Old 04-21-14, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

also drives home the point she didn't mean to kill Jon Snow when she shot him three times.
Old 04-21-14, 10:43 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Old 04-21-14, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Not to condole what Jamie did, but just before he "raped" her... she did piss him off. I bet if she hadn't he would not had "raped" her. lol
Old 04-21-14, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

She was into it until she touched his fake hand and got grossed out.
Old 04-21-14, 11:22 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by csant
Not to condole what Jamie did, but just before he "raped" her... she did piss him off. I bet if she hadn't he would not had "raped" her. lol
Also, did you see what she was wearing? I'm pretty sure I caught a glimpse of ankle.
Old 04-21-14, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

This episode didn't change my mind about new Daario. This seems to be the first real casting blunder. Everyone else has been money, so they were due for a miscast.
Old 04-21-14, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Everyone else has been money, so they were due for a miscast.
Old 04-21-14, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Shae's okay, the only character I've felt was miscast was Mance Rayder.
Old 04-21-14, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, the internets are buzzing about the "rape" scene.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.