Old 04-05-12, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,545 Likes on 2,540 Posts
Scandal (ABC) -- S: Kerry Washington -- Series Discussion Thread

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2012-04-05

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Olivia Pope (Kerry Washington) has dedicated her life to protecting and defending the public images of the nation's elite and keeping their secrets under wraps. Revered and feared at the same time, one time communications director to the President of the United States left the White House to open her own prominent crisis management firm. Olivia is hoping to start a new chapter in her life - both professionally and personally - but she can't seem to completely cut ties with her past. Slowly it becomes apparent that her dysfunctional staff, who specialize in fixing other people's lives, can't quite fix the ones closest at hand -- their own - in ABC's midseason drama, "Scandal."

In the series premiere, "Sweet Baby," young lawyer Quinn Perkins is offered a job with the crisis management firm Olivia Pope and Associates. Quinn is in awe. Olivia Pope is the former communications director to the President. She and her team of "gladiators in suites" will do whatever it takes to make their clients' problems go away, and newbie Quinn is initiated into the group with trial by fire on day one. Olivia's former boss, President Fitzgerald Grant and his chief of staff, Cyrus Beene are never far from her beat - and when a White House intern accuses the President of having an affair, Olivia is the only one they trust to diffuse the problem. But the news hits close to home for Olivia, and Quinn soon realizes Olivia's clients aren't the only ones with secrets. "Scandal" premieres THURSDAY, APRIL 5 (10:01-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

Starring:
Kerry Washington (Ray)
Henry Ian Cusick (Lost)
Tony Goldwyn (Ghost)

7 episodes. This is taking over Private Practice's timeslot, which is moving to Tuesday. Not anticipating alot of commentary here since I assume alot of you are hesitant to pick up another 1 drama.

I love Kerry Washington. One of the hottest and underrated black actresses IMO.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-al...n-abcs-scandal

Sepinwall gave it a good review for Washington's performance.

Trailers:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PMtTb3BqP7w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C9Lq6rp3pgE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by DJariya; 04-05-12 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-05-12, 10:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Scandal -- Series Premiere -- "Sweet Baby" -- 4/05/12

She's hot, but that's not enough to get me to watch another Grey's drama.
Old 04-05-12, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
She's hot, but that's not enough to get me to watch another Grey's drama.
Who says this is supposed to be Grey's Anatomy 3? Just because Shonda Rhimes wrote and produced it? From everything I read about it and a few reviews, it's a Political Soap Opera more comparable to Revenge.
Old 04-06-12, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the show's over all tonally volume was just jacked up way too much.. Like everyone was told to shout their lines quickly with angst and in a threatening manner or something.. 3/4 of the show was just person A barking at person B.. Then to show some range, they had the war hero really, really SCREAM HIS ISSUES at her..

maybe other eps will be better... but this ep was just too hectic for a legal drama about having leverage on other people.. IMO of course...
Old 04-06-12, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

^I agree that the rapid-fire delivery got irritating after awhile, but I'm sure it'll slow down in future eps.

For a moment there, I thought that that Quinn, the new chick, was Dana Barron (Audrey from NL's Vacation) Thought she aged very well
Old 04-06-12, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts

I recorded this since I'm not watching much nowadays, it's in a good timeslot, one of the commercials for it made it look interesting, plus I'm completely mesmerized by Kerry's lips. I'm guessing as a mid-season replacement, it has no hope of renewal.
Old 04-06-12, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Grey's Anatomy was a mid-season replacement.
Old 04-06-12, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Even if you didn't know that Shonda Rhimes wrote it beforehand, most people familiar with Grey's could probably guess it. It felt like she wrote a script for West Wing that was never used and then retrofitted it into a new show. Like she was trying to mimic Sorkins style and it just came off very aggressive feeling. I like how she brags about her gut being "never wrong" and it was wrong in that very episode a few times. I'm stunned the nobody associated with that show noticed that.
Old 04-06-12, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Most of the shows I usually watch on Thursdays were in repeats so I checked this and 'Missing' out for the first time. Really enjoyed 'Missing,' but I have to admit that I was bored by 'Scandel' - it just wasn't that original and the dialogue was getting annoying fast. I might give it a second chance, but I'm still undecided.
Old 04-06-12, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I recorded this since I'm not watching much nowadays, it's in a good timeslot, one of the commercials for it made it look interesting, plus I'm completely mesmerized by Kerry's lips. I'm guessing as a mid-season replacement, it has no hope of renewal.
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-years/127925/

ABC loved the ratings apparently even though everything was down last night.
Old 04-06-12, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya

You have to take ABC PR with a grain of salt, they are spin doctors that would make anything look good. This is the same department that was "over the moon" about the premier of 'Charlie's Angels' and called 'Pan Am' a "Smash-Hit" up until it's final episode.
Old 04-06-12, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Lame....maybe I can predict broadcast TV so easily now, but I knew that homosexuality would be the key point in this (either the Prez or the main client). They hammered home he was such a conservative war hero from the start.....makes it all obvious from there. And the rest was clear too with how obvious he was for her to come back.

This is called poor production.....at least you tease it out.

Easy delete right here.
Old 04-06-12, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DJariya

That's great for ABC. Enjoy her lips. That's all there is to this show.
Old 04-07-12, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Even if you didn't know that Shonda Rhimes wrote it beforehand, most people familiar with Grey's could probably guess it. It felt like she wrote a script for West Wing that was never used and then retrofitted it into a new show. Like she was trying to mimic Sorkins style and it just came off very aggressive feeling.

I was thinking the same thing. They even had a similarly paced fast opening credit cut just like TWW had.
Old 04-11-12, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Just got to this tonight.

On the positive side, I loved Kerry Washington. I thought she was great. Really good presence. Desmond from Lost seems like a good co-lead for this show.

I hated how the murder case with the conservative Republican War hero ended. And I agree they really tried to rub it in your face that he was a "Conservative Republican War Hero"

at that Press conference at the end.

I'm guessing that Tony Goldwyn's President is loosely based on Clinton's shennanigans. And of course he's in love with Oliva.

Why do shows like this need to be from the perspective of a Young, Naive, Idealistic Lawyer (the Quinn character) She actually reminded me of the actress who played the Nikki character (Brandon's girlfriend) on Beverly Hills 90210 years ago.

There's only 6 more episodes left and I already watch Missing and Greys on ABC that night, so I might as well see how this 1st season finishes out.

Edit: I just read Mondo Kane's post and Nikki on 90210 was also played by Dana Barron. Go figure!

Last edited by DJariya; 04-11-12 at 02:18 AM.
Old 04-12-12, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Scandal -- "Dirty Little Secrets" -- 4/12/12

By djariya at 2012-04-05

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
"Dirty Little Secrets" - When Pope & Associates' newest client, DC Madam Sharon Marquette, is under investigation, the team needs to do everything possible to keep her client list under wraps. The list is literally a Who's Who of DC influentials - and while it's Olivia's job to protect her client, she finds herself protecting a lot more than just the madam. Meanwhile, Quinn runs into some trouble with the President's former intern, Amanda Tanner, on "Scandal," THURSDAY, APRIL 12 (10:01-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

Episode 2 of 7
Old 04-13-12, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Scandal -- "Dirty Little Secrets" -- 4/12/12

Ah much better then the pilot ep.. people talked in this ep vs just screaming at each other like the first ep.. The over all tone had a much lighter touch..

plus a good wrap up to the over all "case of the week".. I'll watch a few more eps.. I was not sure that would be the case after the pilot ep was so just angst driven..
Old 04-13-12, 06:40 PM

I've been sucked in.. didn't want to watch. The lead was too arrogant in the promos but they gave her an interesting backstory. I'm liking it. Not going to add it to the dvr just yet but I'll give it a couple more episodes.
Old 04-13-12, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts

I'm sucked in too and have already added a season pass. Enjoyed this episode more than the pilot (though I found the pilot interesting too). I didn't see the solution in the end coming but, it worked.
Old 04-13-12, 09:27 PM

I'll probably add it if it comes back next season. Thursdays are crazy but since some of my shows get moved around that night, there may or might not be a conflict. I'll have to wait and see.
Old 04-16-12, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm with the others....this one was far superior to the pilot. The 'solution' at the end was pretty laughable though. This show reminds me a little of Eyes, such a great show, which never got a fair shot by ABC.
Old 04-19-12, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Scandal -- "Hell Hath No Fury" -- 4/19/12

By djariya at 2012-04-05

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
"Hell Hath No Fury" - The team reluctantly decides to help a millionaire's son accused of rape, but regardless of the facts, public perception is a hard thing to change, and this is one case that the team might not be able to win. Meanwhile, Olivia still insists on taking Amanda Tanner as a client, but is unable to put her own past with the President behind her when Amanda's first request is a meeting with the President, on "Scandal," THURSDAY, APRIL 19 (10:01-11:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

Episode 3 of 7
Old 04-20-12, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: Scandal -- "Hell Hath No Fury" -- 4/19/12

Not quite sure which twist threw me for a larger loop: the mom turning in her son, the President's wife knowing about the affair or the pregnancy. It's a toss-up.
Old 04-20-12, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm really enjoying this show. I was kind of thrown off by the pilot, but the last two episodes have sucked me in. Also, it's hilarious watching Kerry Washington talk - she enunciates every syllable and, in doing so, does some pretty odd contortions with her mouth.
Old 04-21-12, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk God

This is a very entertaining show.

However, I'm confused....is Cyrus the VP or the President's Chief of Staff? He acts like a Chief of Staff. But I'm confused because he's usually hanging around with the VP's Chief of Staff.

The First Lady obviously knows that the Prez and Olivia had an affair, but she doesn't seem to care. She justs seemingly wants a husband who can do his job.

I'm guessing Cyrus had the audio recording all along and just "sent it to himself" so that would turn the Prez against Olivia. Now how on earth he could record something like that....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.