TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mad Men -- Season 7A Premiere -- "Time Zones" -- 4/13/14

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-14, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: Mad Men -- Season 7A Premiere -- "Time Zones" -- 4/13/14

Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
don and peggy gotta be getting the band back together one more time right?
It's really being telegraphed that way. Their own firm?
Old 04-15-14, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
its gotta be right?

draper/olsen
Old 04-15-14, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, and how old is he, like 22? He's way too young to be in a position like that.
He's actually 29, so it's more believable. He just played a younger character on that Cougar show I guess (never watched the show).
Old 04-15-14, 01:19 PM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Agree overall. Still like the show, and I'll watch it when it's on, but this ep. wasn't great after so long a wait, and putting an entire year in between "seasons" just makes me lose interest. I forget some of what was going on and just don't care that much to try recap everything. (Breaking Bad was the exception.)
Ken sure turned into a real jerk, but I like CA Pete much better (so far).
Old 04-15-14, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts

Loved the first episode, happy to be watching this again.

Wished there had been a scene updating us on Sally. By season 5 she became so close to being one of the lead characters (after Peggy and Don I thought she was the most interesting character) but at the start of Season 6 she got pushed way into the background, took a couple episodes before they even gave her a line. I see this as such a missed opportunity.

Did not miss Betty. I had some hope she might not even be in this season till I noticed JJ in the promo photo.

Love Ted being a front for Don.

The airport pickup scene was fantastic, I watched it twice, marveling at all the details from the extras to the traffic and the old bus. It was as visually busy and engrossing as any of the money shots on Game Of Thrones.

Ken having no depth perception was hilarious and I laughed for about a minute when Pete came into the diner in his stupid Carlton get-up and bright tan.

I love this show.
Old 04-15-14, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Coladar1

And it dawned on me - what're the odds we see a Talking Mad, or Madly Talking next year for the final batch? They did it with Breaking Bad... and while this *really* isn't the type of show to spend a half hour to hour discussing episodes at length (Just imagine last night - 'Man, that earring toss was way off the mark!' 'That sammich must've been mighty tasty!' But, well... Talking Dead and Talking Bad. I could so very easily see them doing likewise as a 'farewell tributary sendoff to the greatest drama ever!'

Is it possible for an entire network to 'Jump the Shark'? Methinks it'll happen if we get seven eps of Chris Hardwick talking mad.
Couldn't disagree more.

This show, more than any other (especially Walking Dead, which is all surface, zero depth), has more things to talk about than you can imagine; history, sociopolitical themes, character motivations, and so on. You can write dissertations on single episodes, and keep peeling it back like an onion.

For example, this episode, one big theme is lying. Even though Don laid himself bare at the end of last season (his story in the Hershey pitch, and showing his daughter the house he grew up), here he is back to lying and putting up a front for everyone. From Neve Campbell (I have to work), to the lie of his marriage, his current career tragectory - one scene was even framed with the inauguration of a president who was known for lying. And that's just one thing. There's so much more. But it requires depth and proper research, and goes far beyond "wasn't that cool when..." moments.
Old 04-15-14, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

I agree. I love how this show has episodes based around a certain theme (lying, fear, etc), and those themes represent not only what the characters are going through, but also the social, political and economic climate of that time.

The series isn't just about an Advertising Agency or the people that work there, but also about the era in the US. There's certainly a lot going on under the surface.
Old 04-15-14, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

I also liked the sandwich scene, mainly for the fact that someone suggests something to Don and he likes it. Even if it's a freaking sandwich.
Old 04-16-14, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So this premier had the lowest ratings since Season 2. Splitting the season was definitely a mistake. People are moving on from this show.
Old 04-16-14, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of people got disappointed with the last season, even here in this forum.

So maybe some decided to wait until next year and watch the full season.
Old 04-16-14, 11:36 AM

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I don't remember what happened to Ken's eye, but I liked the earring gag. The rest of the episode fell pretty flat. It seemed like too much style and not enough substance.
Old 04-16-14, 12:44 PM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I did laugh when Don said he felt "completely at ease" with Megan's manager.
Old 04-16-14, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Quatermass
I don't remember what happened to Ken's eye, but I liked the earring gag. The rest of the episode fell pretty flat. It seemed like too much style and not enough substance.
He was shot in a hunting accident in Detroit (by clients) in either the series finale or the episode before that. I didn't think it would be permanent though, so that sucks.
Old 04-16-14, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
He was shot in a hunting accident in Detroit (by clients) in either the series finale or the episode before that. I didn't think it would be permanent though, so that sucks.
It's only been a couple of months since the incident happened. Don is watching Richard Nixon's 1st inauguration speech, which puts the show in late January 1969. I bet an eye injury like Ken's takes several weeks to heal.
Old 04-16-14, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh damn, for some reason I messed up on the time frame. In that case yeah he's probably still healing.
Old 04-16-14, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Seriously? Nobody here has figured out that the one-year split is being done to make the show eligible for two years' worth of Emmy Awards? Now that the competition is out of the way (Breaking Bad), Jon Hamm and the Mad Men crew can (possibly) get some hardware.
Old 04-17-14, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Seriously? Nobody here has figured out that the one-year split is being done to make the show eligible for two years' worth of Emmy Awards? Now that the competition is out of the way (Breaking Bad), Jon Hamm and the Mad Men crew can (possibly) get some hardware.
I thought that was understood. That and padding out their earnings based on revenue generated in the next calendar year from work that's already done.
Old 04-18-14, 02:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Breaking Bad isn't out of the way until after this years Emmys and it will still have to compete with not only BB but True Detective, House of Cards, etc.
Old 04-19-14, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Decent enough episode to start the new season. I liked the stuff with Pete and Don in California. Also Roger's midlife crisis and apparently partaking in hard drugs and orgies now I sort of felt lost at some parts and feel like I should have re-watched the first six seasons before starting the new one. I might wait for the first half of this season to be over and re-watch everything again from the beginning.

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
It sort of seems that way but honestly I don't know how many times the show feels the need to do that. They've already shook things up with the firm so many times it just feels kind of redundant to do it again.