TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones -- "The Lion and the Rose" -- 4/13/14

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-14, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- "The Lion and the Rose" -- 4/13/14

Originally Posted by Traxan
If I were that kid who played Joffrey, I'd take a few years off acting and enjoy being a teen, because he is going to be SERIOUSLY typecast.
I always think of him as the kid in Batman Begins who happens to be playing (played) Joffrey.

Old 04-14-14, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Ellen got a GoT hashtag trending this morning:

@TheEllenShow

Everyone's so excited about Game of Thrones, I think I wanna start watching. Can anyone catch me up really quick? #SoFarOnGameOfThrones
I hope the replies were along the lines of #It'sNotThatKindOfShow
Old 04-14-14, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I hope the replies were along the lines of #It'sNotThatKindOfShow

#EveryoneDies
Old 04-14-14, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
In hindsight, Joffrey should have known better than to drink from a vessel with a pestle.
seriously. everyone knows that the flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true.

Originally Posted by B.A.
Finally.

So where is the fool taking Sansa?
Spoiler:
Not to Funkytown
Old 04-14-14, 01:04 PM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
My money is on Chester Tate, but he had amnesia and doesn't remember doing it.

I will love you forever for making this reference.
Old 04-14-14, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
If only there were some way for us to figure out what happens next on this show!

Sorry, but I always think these "what'll happen next?!?" discussions about this show are pretty funny. Storm of Swords was published almost 13 years ago. It's a good book and worth reading, it turns out.
Yeah, I've read the books, which is why I enjoy seeing the tv viewers try to piece things together.
Old 04-14-14, 01:09 PM

The big visual clue in the episode is

Spoiler:
you can clearly Lady Olenna Tyrell palm the gem from Sansa's necklace. Diana Rigg actually removes it and hides it in her hand after touching Sansa's braid.
Old 04-14-14, 01:09 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
seriously. everyone knows that the flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true.

Spoiler:
Not to Funkytown
I thought
Spoiler:
they were going down to Electric Avenue?
Old 04-14-14, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
If only there were some way for us to figure out what happens next on this show!

Sorry, but I always think these "what'll happen next?!?" discussions about this show are pretty funny. Storm of Swords was published almost 13 years ago. It's a good book and worth reading, it turns out.
A lot of people don't care to read and find the TV show more appealing It's funny, I have the first 4 books and never finished reading the first one.

Anyway, I think spoiler complaints are perfectly fine, and obviously millions of people avoided spoilers for other big events in the series so I can see why people would get upset. That said, I agree with DJariya that if people are that sensitive it avoid social media until they can see it especially for shows like this or Walking Dead where major characters can die.
Old 04-14-14, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
A redditor explains how the poison got to Joffrey here: http://imgur.com/gallery/0EQr6
So as a non-book reader, does this also spoil who was behind the plot?
Old 04-14-14, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by beckham
Yes, mostly.
Old 04-14-14, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Toonview
The big visual clue in the episode is

Spoiler:
you can clearly Lady Olenna Tyrell palm the gem from Sansa's necklace. Diana Rigg actually removes it and hides it in her hand after touching Sansa's braid.
So what was the whole purpose of
Spoiler:
them giving the necklace to Sansa and then Lady Tyrell having to snatch the piece of the necklace in order to poison Joffrey? Couldn't she just had the poison on her in the first place? What if she never got the chance to swipe it from Sansa?
Old 04-14-14, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
So what was the whole purpose of
Spoiler:
them giving the necklace to Sansa and then Lady Tyrell having to snatch the piece of the necklace in order to poison Joffrey? Couldn't she just had the poison on her in the first place? What if she never got the chance to swipe it from Sansa?
I'm guessing
Spoiler:
being a wise tactician, it was just one of many different plays she had put in place, and the one she chose to go with when the moment presented itself.
Old 04-14-14, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Well....

Spoiler:
...he was an accomplice in it. That's how he knows to get Sansa out of there. If it plays out similarly on the TV show, the poison will have been hidden in one of the jewels of the necklace he gave her (a hairnet in the book), and then taken off by Lady Owlyene, and slipped into Joff's wine. If you re-watch the episode, you'll see Owlyene admire the necklace while talking to Sansa, and the last place Joffery's cup was parked on a table before Tyrion gives it to him for a final drink, was right near her.
Yes, I know all of this already. I've read the books. Also, you butchered Olenna's name.
Old 04-14-14, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

For me I'm more interested in the why than the who as far as the plot., That's something I hope to remain unspoiled on.

It does never cease to amuse me how those who read the books earlier seem to exhibit the "we were here first" kind of attitude when being flippant about spoilers.
Old 04-14-14, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've read some of the books, in fact I think I got just a bit beyond King Jeoffry's death, for some reason I thought it happened much closer to the Red Wedding in the books. I stopped reading them when I started watching the show because frankly I think HBO does it better. I'm not against reading, I read a couple of books a week, it's just I don't think Martin is nearly as good of a writer as he is given credit for.

I, for one, am looking forward to being surprised and shocked by the show. I can't imagine how great the Red Wedding would have been had I not known it was coming.
Old 04-14-14, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyDave

I, for one, am looking forward to being surprised and shocked by the show. I can't imagine how great the Red Wedding would have been had I not known it was coming.
It was great for me to not know. Same with Joffrey's death. I had no clue. This is why those of us who probably won't catch up on the books basically have to beg readers to be considerate. We'd like to have the same surprise they were able to have when they read the story.
Old 04-14-14, 01:59 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
It was great for me to not know. Same with Joffrey's death. I had no clue. This is why those of us who probably won't catch up on the books basically have to beg readers to be considerate. We'd like to have the same surprise they were able to have when they read the story.
I can agree with this. I think spoilers happen for a couple of reasons. Part of it is because people can be dicks just because. They read the book, they know what happens, they don't care if they spoil it or they get a kick out of ruining it for people. Another group might be readers that go a little too far, but really don't mean to spoil it, because they are excited that new people are being introduced to GoT.

Even though I've read the books, I am still surprised at things in the show. Plus, I just like seeing how it translates on the screen and comparing it with what I envisioned when I was reading the book. I watched the Red Wedding episode live because I really wanted to see how it would be done on the show. During season 3, I was watching with friends and we were a few episodes behind, so I watched that episode on my own because I couldn't wait to catch up. I didn't say a thing about it even though I really wanted to talk about it.
Old 04-14-14, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sort of, the images were all from the TV show, I suppose you could have missed these images and not put them together.

I wouldn't click on it though if you care about
'spoilers' and not reading the books.
Old 04-14-14, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
For me I'm more interested in the why than the who as far as the plot., That's something I hope to remain unspoiled on.

It does never cease to amuse me how those who read the books earlier seem to exhibit the "we were here first" kind of attitude when being flippant about spoilers.
Especially when most of them only started reading it after they heard HBO was making a show or the show had already started.
Old 04-14-14, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Sort of, the images were all from the TV show, I suppose you could have missed these images and not put them together.

I wouldn't click on it though if you care about
'spoilers' and not reading the books.
Wow, that just shows me how much on this show goes completely over my head. That's why I sometimes wonder if book readers get more out of it.
Old 04-14-14, 03:01 PM

Just don't read past the first comma of the first picture's caption - the poster says who is ultimately behind it. In fact don't read the first caption at all, the GIF is good enough. Other than that the rest could be considered speculation, but pretty clearly spells out what happened and who executed the plan while at the wedding. I'm not a book reader and despite the spoiler, I'm glad I looked. It's a testament to the level of detail and care that goes into making this show, since 99.9% of viewers I'm sure missed it, but the fact it's there if you really look for it is just awesome and why I LOVE this show.
Old 04-14-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,278 Likes on 731 Posts

Spoiler:
OK so if Lady Olenna Tyrell palmed the poison from the necklace.. what was the point of that? Were people being searched on their way in? Why wouldn't she have just worn the necklace? Or a bracelet? This is a bit of a complicated everything-needs-to-go-just-right setup to do it this funky way. At least in my opinion.
Old 04-14-14, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by General Zod
Spoiler:
OK so if Lady Olenna Tyrell palmed the poison from the necklace.. what was the point of that? Were people being searched on their way in? Why wouldn't she have just worn the necklace? Or a bracelet? This is a bit of a complicated everything-needs-to-go-just-right setup to do it this funky way. At least in my opinion.
Spoiler:
I think it sufficiently distances her and the Tyrell's from any involvement. We don't have all the background, but presumably if the plot were exposed before or after, Sansa has the poison, and the fool gifted her the necklace. The fool might know more by virtue of having the necklace, but no one would look to the Tyrells, and probably no one would believe the fool who has sufficient motive on his own.
Old 04-14-14, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Not a book reader but I would guess that there would be no way to trace the plot back to her if they found out that the poison came from the necklace.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.