Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

TURN: Washington's Spies (AMC) -- Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-14, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
TURN: Washington's Spies (AMC) -- Series Thread

Surprised have not seen anything on this yet, Looks like something up my alley. Jamie Bell Stars and I have liked him quite a bit in his movies.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/01/11/tu...an-revolution/

This is odd: There haven’t been that many movies and TV shows about the American Revolution.

AMC’s Turn showrunner Craig Silverstein (Nikita) points this out during our interview and my first thought is that he must be wrong. Then he challenged me to name more than a half dozen or so titles. There just aren’t many when compared to the libraries of films and shows chronicling every aspect of the Civil War, World War II and the Vietnam War. The war that founded our country gets surprisingly little attention in pop culture — at least, until recently, when Red Coats started showing up in titles like Assassins Creed III and Fox’s Sleepy Hollow (now we all know what Hessian troopers are).

With Turn, Silverstein aims to not only dramatize a lesser-understood war but also commit an act of storytelling revolution by flipping a core assumption about the fight for independence on its head.

“What we’re told in school is that it was a very David vs. Goliath tale, that we fought the British for our freedom,” Silverstein says. “In reality it was a war fought between neighbors, it was fought house to house … there were many people living here who believed they were British subjects and this uprising was a criminal movement that needed to be put down and if the American cause were actually achieved it would lead to chaos. There had been nothing before that to suggest it would work. There were people divided within homes. It wasn’t like we were repelling an alien invasion force, it was more like a divorce.”

In the show, Jamie Bell plays a cabbage farmer who becomes a spy for Gen. George Washington (clearly a career upgrade). The story is based on the book Washington’s Spies: The Story of America’s First Spy Ring. Aliases, dead drops, black budgets and other spy tropes were discovered during this period by trial and error, Silverstein points out.

“I was surprised to find it was the story about the foundation of modern trade craft and spying,” Silverstein says of the book. “The idea of spying wasn’t really formed until that point. Spies were scouts who crawled over a hill and literally spied down. The idea of somebody staying behind enemy lines and pretending to be somebody they weren’t was a revolutionary idea in and of itself … it was a dishonorable thing and not cool. They were proud of what they achieved but not proud of the way they archived it so the story was buried until like the 1930s until they found these letters.”

During the show’s press tour panel in Pasadena on Saturday, Silverstein added that — unlike many high-concept dramas that launch with big ideas and nowhere to go — there’s plenty of real-life history to mine for several potential seasons. “There’s 10 episodes including our pilot [in the first season] and there are eight years of the war,” he said. “What you’re seeing in the first season is the formation of the Culper Ring. After that there’s all their adventures and missions and incredible tension with Benedict Arnold, who is still today the highest ranked mole in history.”

http://www.amctv.com/turn/videos/turn-revolutionary

Trailer is pretty fricking solid.
Old 01-11-14, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Turn (AMC) - April 6th, 2014

This is odd: There haven’t been that many movies and TV shows about the American Revolution.
I've been wondering why this is. Plenty of great stories to be told. I'm looking forward to this.
Old 01-11-14, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Probably because the cost of costumes and location shoots are expensive. As much as I love AMC, I will probably pass on this. I am not a huge fan of shows or movies based on this time period.
Old 01-11-14, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

I hear the first season is going to be pretty damn good. The second season will consist of nothing but them sitting around a farm and talking though.

Looking forward to this!
Old 01-11-14, 11:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I hear the first season is going to be pretty damn good. The second season will consist of nothing but them sitting around a farm and talking though.

Looking forward to this!
So its about zombies? George Washington versus the zombies? Heck yeah!

Seriously though, this is the first I have heard of this show. I am interested just because of the time period. Like said previously, there are very few movies/TV shows set around this period. The recent video game Assassin's Creed 3 was set during the American Revolution too, but unfortunately that game was pretty dull.
Old 04-01-14, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

So, anyone else looking forward to this? This will take a backseat to Game of Thrones on Sunday nights, but I'm intrigued how it'll turn out.
Old 04-01-14, 09:17 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

The promo shot AMC Keeps showing with the red N makes me think it's about the Revolutionary War and Vampires.
Old 04-01-14, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

It's not hard to figure out the lack of movies and entertainment made about the Revolutionary War. It's an all-white population of characters featured in a male-dominated society and has almost no international appeal to the European market. Which is complete anathema to the economics and culture of Hollywood.
Old 04-01-14, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Saw a commercial for it today. Set up a recording for it.
Old 04-01-14, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's not hard to figure out the lack of movies and entertainment made about the Revolutionary War. It's an all-white population of characters featured in a male-dominated society and has almost no international appeal to the European market. Which is complete anathema to the economics and culture of Hollywood.
That makes sense, but it's something different so I will give it a try.
Old 04-06-14, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Turn -- New AMC drama (90 minutes) -- "Pilot" -- 4/06/14

Based on Alexander Rose’s book Washington’s Spies, AMC’s TURN tells the untold story of America’s first spy ring. A historical thriller set during the Revolutionary War, TURN centers on Abe Woodhull (Jamie Bell), a farmer living in British-occupied Long Island who bands together with his childhood friends to form the Culper Ring -- an unlikely team of secret agents who not only went on to help George Washington turn the tide of the war but also gave birth to modern spycraft.

Written by: Craig Silverstein

Directed by: Rupert Wyatt, Nick Copus

10 episode 1st season

This is from Craig Silverstein, the creator of Nikita. He is the writer, producer and showrunner of this series.

Trailer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/m-q_lPaaWqU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is airing during the same timeslot as Game of Thrones. I'm pretty sure that nobody here will watch this right away on Sunday. Plus it's 90 minutes too.
Old 04-06-14, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
re: TURN: Washington's Spies (AMC) -- Series Thread

I don't have HBO so I'll be watching, been waiting for this show for months.
Old 04-06-14, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

To me the previews for this don't make it look that interesting. This period in history isn't my favorite though either so that may be a lot of why I'm not interested. I think AMC shows have been really hit and miss though. It seems like they got lucky twice with Mad Men and then Breaking Bad but have churned out a lot of crap since then. I know a lot of people love The Walking Dead but I haven't really been that into it since the first season.
Old 04-06-14, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I'll give this a shot. I assume that it's followed by "Talking Turn" hosted by Chris Hardwick.
Old 04-06-14, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something about the show looks "off"
Old 04-06-14, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I liked it well enough to tune in for more.
Old 04-06-14, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I don't care for GoT so even with a free preview of HBO, I opted for this instead. Really enjoyed the pilot and like the cast. I'm in for the season.
Old 04-06-14, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought it started off a little slow, but it picked up a lot as it went along and really held my interest. Enjoyed it and left me wanting more, so I'm in for the season as well.
Old 04-07-14, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was ok I guess. I can see myself getting bored with these characters pretty quickly though.
Old 04-07-14, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk God

A little slow to start out, but overall a very well made show.

Loved the costumes and set designs. They did a good job re-creating 1776 in the U.S.

Kind of ironic that Jamie Bell, a Brit, is playing an American in a show about the Revolutionary War. Some of you might recall, he also played the little boy on Billy Elliott.

The last sequence was pretty cool when all the Red Coats got plowed down. Interesting to see how this goes after Abe became an unwilling spy to basically stay alive. Craig Silverstein tweeted yesterday that all these characters are based on real people.

I don't think this show will have mass appeal. It's very niche genre for history buffs and those who like period dramas.
Old 04-07-14, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

shit, I forgot to DVR this.
Old 04-07-14, 10:16 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Not my favorite time period, but I really enjoyed this. In for awhile at least.
Old 04-07-14, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Like other people said it started slow, but the lat 1/2 hour really drew me in.
Old 04-07-14, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/amcs...wers-watching/

Roughly 2.1M viewers watched the 1st airing. 3M with the re-air included. Not bad considering the really hefty competition Sunday night. I'm guessing those numbers might increase a little since most probably DVR'd this show and watched Game of Thrones or the Country Music awards live.

This genre is a really tough sell, so it's a promising start.
Old 04-07-14, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Kind of ironic that Jamie Bell, a Brit, is playing an American in a show about the Revolutionary War. Some of you might recall, he also played the little boy on Billy Elliott.
Not ironic at all since at the time the colonists were all still considered Brittish citizens. Did you learn nothing from Sleepy Hollow?

He was also Tin Tin.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.