Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

TURN: Washington's Spies (AMC) -- Series Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

TURN: Washington's Spies (AMC) -- Series Thread

Old 04-07-14, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: TURN: Washington's Spies (AMC) -- Series Thread

I thought this was pretty good. I like this period in history, so it was cool to see finally see a show based in it. Happy to see it got decent numbers, I hope they they keep improving.
Old 04-08-14, 03:41 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Liked it. Wasn't it advertised as a six-episode miniseries? If so, the pacing will be pretty fast, so could be a pretty good ride.

Impressed with the period details in sets & costuming. Dialogue seemed appropriately-written, too, and they avoided cliches for the most part. Of course, the British have to be sadistic villains, and the inn-keeper's hot wife had to be a former flame of our hero, but otherwise it had some interesting twists.

Also liked that, aside from Jamie Bell, didn't recognize any of the other actors.
Old 04-08-14, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Liked it. Wasn't it advertised as a six-episode miniseries? If so, the pacing will be pretty fast, so could be a pretty good ride.

Impressed with the period details in sets & costuming. Dialogue seemed appropriately-written, too, and they avoided cliches for the most part. Of course, the British have to be sadistic villains, and the inn-keeper's hot wife had to be a former flame of our hero, but otherwise it had some interesting twists.

Also liked that, aside from Jamie Bell, didn't recognize any of the other actors.
It's actually 10 episodes and this is not a miniseries.
Old 04-08-14, 04:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya
It's actually 10 episodes and this is not a miniseries.
Thanks for the correction.

Dunno where I got that impression that it was a limited series...could have sworn that I heard it in the tv ads. May have confused it with something else.

Glad to know that it's planned as a continuing series (saw the list of episodes on Wiki after reading your post). I'd hate to see it end on a cliffhanger or have lots of unresolved plot threads. Hopefully, if it has an impressive first season, it will get renewed.
Old 04-08-14, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Burn Gorman (Torchwood, Pacific Rim), Angus Macfadyen (Braveheart, Equilibrium), and Kevin McNally (Pirates of the Caribbean, Valkyrie) were all great in this as well.
Old 04-08-14, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I liked it. They did a good job of showing just how divided loyalties were during the Revolution and that not every man in a red coat is an over-the-top baddie.
Old 04-13-14, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Turn -- "Who By Fire" -- 4/13/14

Episode Synopsis: The murder of a royal officer has Abe seeking the killer's identity before Anna is framed for the crime. Meanwhile, Ben and Caleb brutally interrogate Simcoe.

Episode 2 of 10

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...-debuts-694189

The Pilot episode last week did decent considering it had no lead-in and was facing Game of Thrones. Got 2.1M viewers in the 1st airing and 3M with the re-air included.

I liked the 1st episode, although I know this isn't going to be a popular, water cooler talk, must see show on Sundays.
Old 04-13-14, 12:50 PM

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
Re: Turn -- "Who By Fire" -- 4/13/14

My reactions were mixed on the pilot. That said, I'll stick around for a few weeks to see how things shape up.
Old 04-13-14, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Being against Game of Thrones is tough, many more people would be watching if it was not for that.
Old 04-16-14, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk God

This was an episode that I think I need to re-watch again. I still have it on my DVR. Watched it last night, but found it a little hard to follow. Very talky, especially following the last episode with the Red Coats all being plowed down.

This is a show that you really need to pay attention to otherwise you will miss alot of small details.

The real star of this episode was Angus MacFayden. I thought he was good as Robert Rogers. We saw little of him in the Pilot.

I can see how nobody here felt the urge to talk about this since you all probably had no idea what was going on.
Old 04-20-14, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Turn -- "Of Cabbages and Kings" -- 4/20/14

On the run from the British, Ben is betrayed by his own militia. Abe travels with Richard to New York to spy. Mary confronts Anna.

Written by: Michael Taylor

Directed by: SJ Clarkson

Episode 3 of 10
Old 04-22-14, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Watched episode 1 and liked it enough to watch episode 2, but not knowing any of the characters, it was a little tough to get into it.

After watching episode 2, I re-watched episode 1 and liked it a lot more.
Old 04-22-14, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Turn -- "Of Cabbages and Kings" -- 4/20/14

Good episode on Sunday.

The show 3 episodes in is now going full throttle into the spy storyline with Abe.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that nobody is watching this show right away. A lot of story to follow and this is a new show and nowhere near as popular as another in the same timeslot.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-22-14 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-22-14, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Good episode on Sunday.

The show 3 episodes in is now going full throttle into the spy storyline with Abe.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that nobody is watching this show right away. A lot of story to follow and this is a new show and nowhere near as popular as another in the same timeslot.
I watched episode 1. I liked it enough to watch episode 2, but I had trouble really getting into it. After watching episode 2, I went back and rewatched episode 1 and liked it a lot more.
Old 04-22-14, 12:24 PM

Much better episode than episode 2 which was kind of confusing. That green screen work at the end of the episode with the boat on the water was terrible.
Old 04-22-14, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

I noticed that too - of all the water scenes.

Show is tough to follow.
Old 04-27-14, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Turn -- "Eternity How Long" -- 4/27/14

Abe and Richard grapple with orders to dig up gravestones; Ben and Caleb try to get their intelligence to General Washington.

Written by: Andrew Colville

Directed by: Adam Davidson

Episode 4 of 10
Old 05-04-14, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Turn -- "Epiphany" -- 5/04/14

Set during the twelve days of Christmas, Caleb and Ben follow mysterious orders as General Washington's Army crosses into enemy territory. Hewlett frees Anna's slaves.

Written by: Aida Mashaka Croal

Directed by: Michael Uppendah

Episode 5 of 10

Seems like this show isn't getting alot of eyes here. I'm assuming it's a tough watch or because of that other show on HBO.
Old 05-11-14, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Turn -- "Mr. Culpeper" -- 5/11/14

Episode Synopsis: Abe is ambushed by a desperate patriot on the way to New York. Meanwhile, Gen. Washington charges Ben with the task of creating America's first spy ring.

Episode 6 of 10

Guess nobody is watching this right now or you're saving the episodes for the summer.
Old 05-18-14, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk God

TURN -- "Mercy Moment Murder Measure" -- 5/18/14

When an old threat returns to Setauket, Abe risks everything to protect Anna. Robert Rogers travels to a prison ship seeking a mysterious man.

Written by: Andrew Colville, Michael Taylor, Craig Silverstein

Directed by: Nick Copus

Episode 7 of 10

Season is almost over. I guess this show is: 1) too difficult a watch to really have anything compelling to talk about. or 2) Being on against one of the most popular shows on TV kills any desire to watch this let alone talk about it. 3) There is way too much on Sunday nights and not enough time to watch this. 4) You genuinely have no interest in a Revolutionary war period show.

I'm a few weeks behind, but I'm still following it.
Old 05-18-14, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Re: TURN -- "Mercy Moment Murder Measure" -- 5/18/14

I'm liking it so far but there's no buzz about it, just like Low Winter Sun, so I'm fearing this will meet the same fate.

Then again, there's not much buzz about Hell on Wheels and we're going into Season four. So who knows.
Old 05-18-14, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
I'm liking it so far but there's no buzz about it, just like Low Winter Sun, so I'm fearing this will meet the same fate.

Then again, there's not much buzz about Hell on Wheels and we're going into Season four. So who knows.
Very true. Absolutely zero coverage on this show in the media. EW.com pretty much ignores it and I barely see any reviews or recaps about it. Media doesn't seem to care about it. AMC is doing a poor job promoting it vs their other shows like Mad Men and Walking Dead. Then again, a period show about the Revolutionary War is a little hard to promote to younger viewers.
Old 05-18-14, 09:30 PM

Yeah there doesn't seem to be much buzz about this show online. I'm liking it though, I thought last weeks was the best yet. They did kind of take their time setting up the spy ring. I don't mind the back story but it should have happened a few episodes sooner.

Good points about it being up against Game of Thrones and there being a lot on Sunday nights. Game of Thrones is the only show I watch live and don't get to this until later in the week.
Old 05-18-14, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I LOVE this time period and I read books on it several times a year and I'm not interested in this show anymore. When I first heard of Turn I was so excited but I only lasted 4 episodes, if they can't hook me (A Revolutionary War nut) then they can't hook anybody. There aren't' any other shows I watch at this time slot (As I do not have HBO) but I started watching River Monsters or Parts Unknown when Turn went South.
Old 05-19-14, 11:35 AM

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

^ Wow, that's saying something. I bailed after episode 3 which is really saying something since I nearly give all AMC shows the benefit of the doubt by at least watching it through the 1/2 way point.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.