Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

12 Monkeys (SyFy) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 1/16/15

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-15, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 12 Monkeys (SyFy) -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 1/16/15

I'm loving this show so far, it keeps me interested from start to finish.
Old 02-19-15, 04:42 AM

I was thinking that the body in the tube was one of the other people that Jones had sent back while perfecting the splinter process.
Old 02-21-15, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I just watched my last episode of 12 Monkeys tonight. I can tolerate hammy overacting and cheesy dialogue if the story is engaging or there is some other hook (like with Z Nation which at least is self-aware of its silliness and plays with it). But this show is just a ridiculous, nonsensical mess. It has managed to make time travel and apocalyptic plagues boring. As much as I like the Tall Man's softer spoken cousin as the bad guy, I can't stand any of the other characters, especially the lead Cole. I cringe ever time he speaks. Anyway, I hope it gets better for those who stick with this, but I'm done trying to convince myself that I'm enjoying it or care what happens in the next episode.
Old 02-21-15, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Agree with Bill, I'm out. I liked the first couple episodes, but it's gotten progressively worse to the point that I don't care what happens. Too bad, I did really like Amanda Schull in this (reminds me of Naomi Watts), but they were using her less and Cole more, who sucks.
Old 02-21-15, 02:31 PM

Show's getting better and better with each episode.
Old 02-21-15, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryW
Show's getting better and better with each episode.
Weird, as I said above, I feel exactly the opposite.

What makes you feel that way? I think they're losing their thread, and Cole is becoming not just more annoying, but obviously miscast.
Old 02-21-15, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Different strokes for different folks. This show is great and far better than sci fi channels usual stuff. Personally I like Cole. Could they have done better, maybe. I'm not really seeing the bad you guys are seeing in him.
Old 02-21-15, 05:19 PM

I was initially really annoyed by Cole in the pilot probably because, to prepare myself for watching, I watched the film again. I just hated the actor playing Cole. Never seen him before but he just rubbed me the wrong way.

After the show started getting into the complexity of going back and forth and convincing people to help, it has gotten better. Now, it's a show I really look forward to watching each week.

I understand why a show can be polarizing because of an certain actor or performance. I cannot stand Adrien Brody so I will stay away from most things he is in.
Old 02-23-15, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like the actor playing Cole (he was in Nikita also for those that never have seen him before). In fact, I kind of like the whole cast so far.
Old 03-01-15, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

It's a tough role because Cole is supposed to be losing pieces of his mind as he keeps time traveling. I actually thought the last couple of episodes have been great, bringing the government aide in on the time travel. That whole plot around a Edward Snowden substitute was brilliantly realized.

While a couple of episodes were spotty (the one set mostly in the future was poor) 12 Monkeys has been a very solid show. I've liked it more on the whole than Z-Nation. I hope it gets a Blu-ray release.
Old 03-01-15, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't realize Cole is the fire kid from the X-Men movies at first. We really like the show but it is a little confusing with the different alternate universes.
Old 03-02-15, 11:31 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I binge watched the last 5 episode yesterday and I'm convinced this is the best sci-fi show on TV right now (even better than Continuum). That's saying a lot considering it's on the mostly awful SyFy.
Old 03-02-15, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it's better than Continuum as well.
Old 03-03-15, 12:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just finished the Snowden episode - so now what? Interested to see whether and how he comes back ...
Old 03-03-15, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it's an engaging storyline. I don't care much for the lead, but if you think about it he really is a good fit. The survivors of the future aren't going to be perfectly coifed Greek gods. They would be scruffy (fits Cole perfectly), dirty and mostly morally dubious... anyone who survived would have had to make some hard decisions along the way.

It was interesting to see the plague in action. But, it was so virulent and killed so quickly that it would seem unlikely to pose a global threat. Those types of diseases usually burn themselves out after killing everyone in a small area and then having nothing left to infect.

Cole's friend is underused. I guess his main purpose is to humanize and provide background info on Cole. I wonder if he is supposed to be next in line for correcting the timeline if Cole is unable to fix it. The splintering is catching up with Cole fast.
Old 03-03-15, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by leeta
Cole's friend is underused. I guess his main purpose is to humanize and provide background info on Cole. I wonder if he is supposed to be next in line for correcting the timeline if Cole is unable to fix it. The splintering is catching up with Cole fast.
That is where I think the show is headed. He's Cole's eventual replacement.

Good news, 12 Monkeys: Season 1 has been announced for Blu-ray. Syfy has been heavily committed to pushing their shows out on Blu-ray. I'm starting to get the feeling they have it written into the television contract with the producing studio.
Old 03-04-15, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The stuff in the future drags the show down. None of it has been engaging in the least. The rest of the show they have done a great job with.
Old 03-04-15, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Thrush
The stuff in the future drags the show down. None of it has been engaging in the least. The rest of the show they have done a great job with.
I disagree. The "future stuff" keeps it far more interesting, and sets it apart from the typical "time traveler from the future gets stuck in our present" trope. It is nice to be able to compare the two settings, and also to be able to see the small ripple effects that Cole is having on his own timeline.
Old 03-04-15, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
That is where I think the show is headed. He's Cole's eventual replacement.
That will be a big problem, though. Part of what keeps the show moving is Cole's relationship/chemistry with Cassie.
Old 03-04-15, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't see any characters as important to my continued enjoyment to the show. Sure i like Cole and Cassie but they can be be replaced with anybody. What I'm hoping for is rotating cast of people, that Cole is just the first time traveler of many we are introduced to.
Old 03-04-15, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
What I'm hoping for is rotating cast of people, that Cole is just the first time traveler of many we are introduced to.
They haven't made it clear whether the other time travelers were simply killed or just didn't return.
Old 03-04-15, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't see any characters as important to my continued enjoyment to the show. Sure i like Cole and Cassie but they can be be replaced with anybody. What I'm hoping for is rotating cast of people, that Cole is just the first time traveler of many we are introduced to.
I'm walking if Cassie gets cut from the show.
Old 03-04-15, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
That will be a big problem, though. Part of what keeps the show moving is Cole's relationship/chemistry with Cassie.
The way the preview for this week's episode played out, maybe his friend Ramsay will get to go back in time to save Cole.

Obviously the stuff in Chechnya didn't stop the plague but Cole is gone. So now Ramsay will go back and get Cole out of there before the strike.

I like this show...not as off the wall as Helix but very entertaining.

p.s. I was waiting for a snyde remark from Cole about the food on the bamboo sticks after his encounter with the 12 monkeys assassin in the previous episode.
Old 03-04-15, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't see any characters as important to my continued enjoyment to the show. Sure i like Cole and Cassie but they can be be replaced with anybody.
That's fine for you, but you shouldn't presume that all viewers feel that way. I suspect that many would lose interest if either of the main leads were replaced.
Old 03-04-15, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by randian
They haven't made it clear whether the other time travelers were simply killed or just didn't return.
I think from the pictures Ramsay dug up on the German Dr's office that Cole seems to be the first to survive.....several dead bodies were shown in the chair along with one guy missing his head.

Although I agree with the above poster that I think the body in the night room, patient zero, was probably from the future.

Maybe some of the Dr's failed time travelers were killed in the process and appear in the past already dead?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.