Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

David Letterman - Shows, Projects, and News

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-15, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Dave Letterman announces he will retire (Last show 5/20/15) / Colbert signed as h

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I think the last show should be Murray, Regis, and whichever musical guest that Dave wants to be last.
i can see the last musical guest being either Pearl Jam or Foo Fighers
Old 04-25-15, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
Re: Dave Letterman announces he will retire (Last show 5/20/15) / Colbert signed as h

Originally Posted by sportsfan64
Some of his most poignant moments from behind the Late Show desk, like his first broadcast after the Sept. 11, 2011 terrorist attacks, will also be included.
Never forget.
Old 04-25-15, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
i can see the last musical guest being either Pearl Jam or Foo Fighers
I don't know what they'll do and while having a well known band is certainly possible, I guess my personal preference would be to bring in a singer of note to play with Paul and the band since it's their last show too.

In addition to Jerry being terrific on his last show, Jason Isbell and Amanda Shires did a Warren Zevon song. Prior to last night I had been wondering if they were going to bring in Jordan to do one of his dad's songs before the end. Maybe they still will.
Old 04-27-15, 11:26 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Holy shit, John Mellencamp came out wasted and smoking.
Old 04-27-15, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Seriously, he was drunk on the air?
Old 04-27-15, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,114 Likes on 807 Posts

Steve Martin on Friday.

No announced guest for Thursday, so it could be a really good surprise.
Old 04-27-15, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's easy to forget that Scarlett Johannson has been doing Letterman since she was 13 years old.

The Martin show on Friday should be good b/c it's not just him; it looks like they have some sort of special musical performance planned including Emmylou Harris.

Jungle Jack's final appearance is Wednesday night.

Michael Keaton's final appearance is tonight. In tribute to that here is a video of one of their first appearances together.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/l-T11erq_kI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-27-15, 11:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Seriously, he was drunk on the air?
It looked that way. They must serve drinks in the green room. He was smoking a cig too. They had to bring out an ashtray for him.
Old 04-29-15, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 608 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
I didn't think he was too bad. All these shows have booze in the green room.

Melloncamp's song was really good. Wonder if his grandmom really said that too him.
Old 04-29-15, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/l-T11erq_kI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
That clip needs to be at the ready for every person who is too young or too dumb to know why Saturday Night Live was like a cultural atomic bomb.
Old 04-29-15, 02:09 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Less than a month before he takes his final bow at the Ed Sullivan Theater, David Letterman has opened up to The New York Times in a rare interview.

The outgoing Late Show host talks about preparing for his final show, what will happen that night and what he'll do after that. He also shares his thoughts on the current late-night landscape, his memories of Johnny Carson, his rivalry with Jay Leno, his 2000 heart surgery and 2009 sex scandal.

Letterman says he's "awash in melancholia" and "full of trepidation" as he approaches his final show on May 20.

"Every big change in my life was full of trepidation," he explains. "When I left Indiana and moved to California. When [my wife] Regina and I decided to have a baby — enormous anxiety and trepidation. Those are the two biggest things in my life, and they worked out beyond my wildest dreams. I’m pretending the same thing will happen now. I’ll miss it, desperately. One of two things: There will be reasonable, adult acceptance of transition. Or I will turn to a life of crime."

In all seriousness, Letterman said he's decided "exactly" what he'll do on his final show there are still other things in the works not involving him. In terms of what that final show will be like, he says it won't be like Carson's goodbye.

"That was fantastic. I can remember when he signed off that night, it just left you [with] a nagging sense of loss. This doesn’t apply here," Letterman hints. "I want it to be a little more cheery. And I want it to be upbeat, and I want it to be funny, and I want people to be happy that they spent the time to watch it. Of course, Johnny’s last show was historic. This one won’t be. [laughs] This one, people will say: 'Ah, there you go. When’s the new guy starting?'"

He also understands how the late-night landscape is different than it was when he started, and he can't do what his younger competitors can.

"When I was watching those interim shows they did on The Late Late Show, and I saw John Mayer hosting one night, I thought, “Ohhhh, now I see exactly what the problem is,' " he explains. "Because he’s young. He’s handsome. He’s trim. He’s witty. He was comfortable. So then I realized, I got nothing to worry about. I know I can’t do what Jimmy Fallon’s doing. I know I can’t do what Jimmy Kimmel is doing. There’s nothing left to be worried about."

He adds that Leno leaving may have impacted his decision to bow out as he became the lone older man in late night.

"I’m 68. If I was 38, I’d probably still be wanting to do the show," he says. "When Jay was on, I felt like Jay and I are contemporaries. Every time he would get a show at 11:30, he would succeed smartly. And so I thought, This is still viable — an older guy in a suit. And then he left, and I suddenly was surrounded by the Jimmys."

Doing battle against the Jimmys for CBS will be left to former Comedy Central star Stephen Colbert, who was quickly named as Letterman's successor. Although Letterman seemed happy that Colbert would take over the show when the announcement was made last year, the outgoing Late Show host tells The Times that he wasn't consulted on the choice, something he was initially bothered by, but he's over it, aware that that's what happens when you decide to leave.

If he had been consulted, he might have brought up making a more diverse selection, he says.

"I always thought Jon Stewart would have been a good choice. And then Stephen. And then I thought, well, maybe this will be a good opportunity to put a black person on, and it would be a good opportunity to put a woman on," he says. "Because there are certainly a lot of very funny women that have television shows everywhere. So that would have made sense to me as well."

Letterman says he "will be completely in the hands of my family" after he signs off, for the first time able to plan his summer vacation around what his son wants to do.

But he speculates that leaving the Late Show might not mean saying goodbye to CBS, pointing out how Jane Pauley is now a CBS contributor.

"So maybe one day, something of that level will happen to me," he says.
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/s/david...040001501.html
Old 04-29-15, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Steve Martin on Friday.

No announced guest for Thursday, so it could be a really good surprise.
Filled in the missing guest. It's the first lady.
Old 04-30-15, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thought the Keaton appearance on Tuesday was fantastic.

Jack Hanna actually started crying last night after day played some highlights from the CBS years.
Old 04-30-15, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Jack Hanna actually started crying last night after day played some highlights from the CBS years.
I always loved seeing Jack Hanna and Letterman together. Their awkward chemistry was off the charts.

I'm going to miss it. I wonder if Hanna had some type of contract with Letterman. I don't remember him being on any other late night talk shows over the years.
Old 04-30-15, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
I always loved seeing Jack Hanna and Letterman together. Their awkward chemistry was off the charts.

I'm going to miss it. I wonder if Hanna had some type of contract with Letterman. I don't remember him being on any other late night talk shows over the years.
I don't know about a contract, but Dave did thank him among other things for his loyalty last night.

Hanna had an Ohio station following him for his last appearance. He said in an interview that they never talked off the show until very recently when Dave brought Harry in. He also said that a bond was sealed between them in the late 90s after Letterman sent flowers and a personal note when Hanna's daughter was fighting a brain tumor (she was on the show last night)
Old 04-30-15, 06:42 PM
Banned

Hanna didn't need a contract with Dave. He single handedly helped the Ohio Zoo become one of the most well known zoos in the nation.
Old 04-30-15, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,928 Posts

I hope Hanna comes back when Colbert takes over.
Old 04-30-15, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thought the Keaton appearance on Tuesday was fantastic.

Loved both episodes and even Scarlett had genuinely sweet things to say about Dave.

Next week:
M-Will Ferrell
T-Reese Witherspoon
W-Martin Short
Th-Tina Fey
F-Ray Romano

8 shows after next week.

Colbert could keep the Jungle Jack tradition and I kind of hope he brings back the hot toy lady Letterman's been bringing on for years.
Old 04-30-15, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not that she isn't famous, but Reese Witherspoon feels like an odd guest choice for this close to the end.

So eight episodes left...Julia Roberts, Tom Hanks, Oprah Winfrey, Howard Stern, George Clooney, Don Rickles, Bill Murray. That doesn't leave a lot of open spots.
Old 04-30-15, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not that she isn't famous, but Reese Witherspoon feels like an odd guest choice for this close to the end.

So eight episodes left...Julia Roberts, Tom Hanks, Oprah Winfrey, Howard Stern, George Clooney, Don Rickles, Bill Murray. That doesn't leave a lot of open spots.
I doubt Reese was a choice for one of his last guests in that way. I think they clearly decided to mix in high caliber guests who do have things to promote with true friends of the show.

If they were purely going with Letterman's "friends", I don't think even Scarlett Johnasson or Robert Downey Jr. would have made the cut. Natalie Portman seems more of a friend of the show, for example. From the newer generation of stars, Jennifer Lawrence has become a great Letterman guest.

Neither seem like they'll be seen again with Dave.

Clooney also wouldn't have made it if you just go by stars who were truly friends of the show. Oprah wouldn't either, but after their feud and making up, it makes sense-like Madonna would have made sense. Clooney is just an all-around great guy and huge star paying tribute to Dave, but who's also promoting his latest film.

I think Hanks will keep it light, but I'm expecting tears from Julia.
Old 05-01-15, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

She's not at that Julia Roberts / Drew Barrymore level but Dave has always been a fan of Witherspoon since Walk the Line
Old 05-01-15, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jesus, Samantha Bee crying tonight when Jon Stewart did a tribute for her last ever show and Jack Hanna sobbing after a similar highlights clips; I just can't take all of these goodbyes.
Old 05-01-15, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tonight's guest is Mr. Steve Martin.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2GvSvCMC2Ys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-02-15, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone who says Dave hasn't been funny since he went to CBS, that is one of the clips I cite as proof to the contrary.
Old 05-02-15, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Loved both episodes and even Scarlett had genuinely sweet things to say about Dave.

Next week:
M-Will Ferrell
T-Reese Witherspoon
W-Martin Short
Th-Tina Fey
F-Ray Romano
Add the President to Monday and Nathan Lane to Tuesday. There are also quite a few notable music guests next week.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.