How I Met Your Mother - Series Finale - "Last Forever Part 1 & 2" - 3/31/14

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-14, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother - Series Finale - "Last Forever Part 1 & 2" - 3/31/14

Originally Posted by onebyone
I can see that...

The more I think of the finale, the madder I get. I think it was pretty awful. I kind of want to sell my dvds and forget I ever watched the show. I guess I will give it time to see if I can fanwank myself an ending and just forget this mess.

This review had some good points. Hope I can at least enjoy the early seasons...eventually.
I can't see myself "getting over it." I can't imagine myself rewatching any episode ever again. I seriously feel betrayed by the writers. I know that it's just a show and I'm being a drama queen, but fuck that. It's my right as a fan who watched this show from day one to be upset just as much as it's the creators' right to do whatever they wanted in the finale.
Old 04-01-14, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 549 Likes on 341 Posts

Shitty endings to TV shows:
X-Files: check
Lost: check
Battlestar Galactica: check
Seinfeld: check
Sopranos: check
Chuck: check
How I Met Your Mother: check

I am beginning to think that it is a good thing that Deadwood never got a proper finale.
Old 04-01-14, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

at all the bellyaching at the ending. I never cared about the mother thing, but him with Robin at the end after all the incessant pining and back and forth, seemed liked a perfectly logical ending.
Old 04-01-14, 04:30 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Pretty much this: http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...onned-us-all/1
Old 04-01-14, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Shitty endings to TV shows:
X-Files: check
Lost: check
Battlestar Galactica: check
Seinfeld: check
Sopranos: check
Chuck: check
How I Met Your Mother: check

I am beginning to think that it is a good thing that Deadwood never got a proper finale.

I think you might be on to something...
Old 04-01-14, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been saying for years that the show isn't really about meeting the mother, but about the lifelong friendships among this group of five people. The mother was largely inconsequential, so the fact that they killed her off isn't what bothered me about the finale.

What did bother me was how poorly the past few seasons were executed. I get that some of that was because the network extended the run by an additional season that they weren't prepared for, but still.

My biggest complaint is that they spent an entire season on the weekend of Barney and Robin's wedding, making such a big deal about it, only to nullify all of those episodes by having Barney and Robin divorce so quickly.

And related to that, that means they wasted an awful lot of time over the course of a couple of seasons by seemingly reforming Barney from a chronic womanizer into a decent guy worthy of marrying Robin, only to have him revert to his old ways.

In the end, they also ended up changing Robin's character into one who was completely unpleasant and unlikable. She wasn't the Robin Ted fell in love with several years ago, and by having them fall in and out of love, and having her marry and then divorce Barney because of her career ambitions, made the two of them finally getting together much less rewarding than it should have been.

And that conclusion was made all the worse by the casting of Cristin Milioti, who ended up being way more likable and having way more chemistry with Ted than Robin did.

I hope some network is smart enough to give Milioti her own show.
Old 04-01-14, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by clappj
Or Barney. That seems fitting.
That's against the Bro Code. Plus I don't think Barney's been with a married women.
Old 04-01-14, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,194 Likes on 4,221 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty

I hope some network is smart enough to give Milioti her own show.
Oh, I'm sure she will. She's a star - like Adam Driver on Girls, she totally elevates the material and steals every scene she's in. Hope she gets an Emmy nod for her sporadic work on this show.
She can sing too -- I think she'd be an awesome choice for Elphaba in a movie version of Wicked if it ever get made soon enough.
Old 04-01-14, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Yeah, the song was a re-recording of Downtown Train. A previous cover was a big Rod Stewart hit in the late '80s
Actually I was talking about the Walkmen song... that's what started the 80's vibe for me.
Old 04-01-14, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

I thought it was OK, perhaps right in the middle between the Dexter and Breaking Bad finales.

I guess for a show that limped into its finale, I probably liked it more because it didn't suck than any other reason.
Old 04-01-14, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,194 Likes on 4,221 Posts

Originally Posted by Damfino
I thought it was OK, perhaps right in the middle between the Dexter and Breaking Bad finales.
Wow, that's a big range right there.
Old 04-01-14, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep. I guess it would be closer to Dexter. As much as I hated the last scene of HIMYM, the finale wasn't as bad as Dexter. Dexter is in another category.
Old 04-01-14, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Okay that last song when they were showing the cast really tugged at the heartstrings. Maybe it helped that I haven't watched the show in the last 4 or so years but I thought it was a perfect ending. The show was about Ted and Robin from the start and when they revealed that she was the aunt it felt like it a rip off. Yeah it sucks that Ted got the mother and Robin but me as a viewer got the mother and Robin which I think was what I personally wanted from the beginning.
Old 04-01-14, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Wow, that's a big range right there.
I was going for the widest range possible!
Old 04-01-14, 08:10 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Okay that last song when they were showing the cast really tugged at the heartstrings. Maybe it helped that I haven't watched the show in the last 4 or so years but I thought it was a perfect ending. The show was about Ted and Robin from the start and when they revealed that she was the aunt it felt like it a rip off. Yeah it sucks that Ted got the mother and Robin but me as a viewer got the mother and Robin which I think was what I personally wanted from the beginning.
That is exactly why...
Old 04-01-14, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
That's a really good article, and it articulates why the series finale was such a let-down. The whole concept of "how I met your mother" is rendered completely moot by the fact that the mother is dead and it's all about Ted wanting to be with Robin. Now, I'm not one of those who complained the last several years "Waaahhhh.....when is he gonna meet the mother???" I always expected it to be in the final episode, and I thought the whole point of the show was to show Ted's mistakes and bad luck until he finally met someone he truly connected with. Hell, I didn't even need to see him interact with Tracy that much (although I did really like that everyone else did, and I'm glad that was part of the final season), I would have been happy knowing that he did finally meet the one. The finale should have been Tracy and Ted together, telling the story to the kids. That's all you need to see.

I also never had a problem with the entire final season being Barney and Robin's wedding, EXCEPT for the fact that the entire thing dissolves a few minutes into the finale! That's another thing the article mentions, and it really makes the final season a total waste of time.
Old 04-01-14, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked it. Ted waited 9 seasons while he watched everyone around him find someone, and in the end, he was able to have two loves in his life. I don't think ending up with Robin at 50-something takes away at all from his relationship with the Mother. His first love passed and, after many years, his kids gave him their blessing to go after Aunt Robin. I thought it was nice.
Old 04-01-14, 08:40 PM
Mok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked it Ted and Robin deserve to be together.
Old 04-01-14, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant

***They showed how people lives change and "Groups" can't stay exactly the same...and life changes us all***

I believe the "Mother" was truly loved, but once she passed, Ted and Robin are now in place to best friend that can be romantically involved.
Thank you. Well said.
Old 04-01-14, 09:23 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

So Mosby wanted to bone Robin. Got it.
Old 04-01-14, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts

At his age, it was likely more about companionship... otherwise he'd be a man who gets lost in his stories as Tracy feared he could become.
Old 04-02-14, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

What a bout the pineapple!?!

Oh, and the line of dialogue about "What kind of mother wouldn't show up to her daughter's wedding..." Did Ted already know Tracy was sick, or what was that about? And why didn't they get married for so long (other than to advance the narrative)?
Old 04-02-14, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

That line about not showing up to wedding was stated the year of "the illness", god, such a shitty way to just throw the awesome mother character under a bus....

Wait, what if she didn't die of "the illness" and was actually hit by that stupid Robin Bus.
Old 04-02-14, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Then again, I don't know why anyone would complain about the way this show ended. That is what I will be saying if I lived in a multi-verse where this was the way it ended...
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0caCEG1nH3E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-02-14, 04:05 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Then again, I don't know why anyone would complain about the way this show ended. That is what I will be saying if I lived in a multi-verse where this was the way it ended...
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0caCEG1nH3E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Wow. This works much better... and I wasnt even that unhappy with the original ending.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.