Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

True Detective - Season Finale - "Form and Void" - 3/9/14

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-14, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: True Detective - Season Finale - "Form and Void" - 3/9/14

Even with the loaned out HBO Go credentials that apparently crashed the site, at least people are watching HBO shows like this legally as opposed to torrents or shit 3rd party streaming sites from Europe or whatever.

All the log-ins and people watching via HBO Go are counted for the show's overall ratings.
Old 03-11-14, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the finale was watched by 3.5 million people live at 9pm which is a series record (no episode had broken 3 million viewers before)
Old 03-11-14, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
To me that made a statement that when all is said and done, a woman will follow the financial winner.
WTF? She stayed with Marty for no less than 15 years, including seven years after one of his mistresses came clean to his wife. We never heard them argue about money or anything financial related.

I think it's a huge leap to take to go thinking she made sure she found someone with money to marry on a second go round. I gotta think an honest, non-adulterating one was higher on the list.
Old 03-11-14, 08:19 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I think the Audrey stuff was all a deliberate red herring, but nobody wants to own up to it.
Old 03-11-14, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Groucho
I think the Audrey stuff was all a deliberate red herring, but nobody wants to own up to it.
I don't think it was intentionally trying to throw people off, but saw this more as thematic stuff that contributed to the mood of the story. There is a ton of this kind of thing in every episode - not necessarily "clues" to a greater conspiracy, but elements that contribute to the overall feeling of dread.

The show was never about obscuring the "whodunit" aspect of the plot and I think that's messing with a lot of people digging deeper for more.

Last edited by Oliver Clothesoff; 03-11-14 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-11-14, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

"red herring"? You realize this show wasn't necessarily even about the murders, right? It's about broken men and how they affect those around them with their brokenness. Audrey was hardly window dressing.
Old 03-11-14, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
"red herring"? You realize this show wasn't necessarily even about the murders, right? It's about broken men and how they affect those around them with their brokenness. Audrey was hardly window dressing.
Sure, it is now that it's all said and done. But the first few episodes we were certainly led to believe that it was about solving murders and that there would be more to it than what we were seeing.

This is the basis of argument behind the LOST finale. Those that liked it were happy that they made the finale about the characters. Those that hated it didn't like that they introduced all these elements that they never delivered on.
Old 03-11-14, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Unlike LOST, I felt this series would be about the detectives themselves from early on.
Old 03-11-14, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Now all of the sudden they don't want to show nudity? I want my money back!
UH... EEWWW!!! I was getting sick to my stomach just hearing that cow moan!!!
Old 03-11-14, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Unlike LOST, I felt this series would be about the detectives themselves from early on.
And as far as I've seen, the creators of True Detective never said a bunch of stupid shit about their show that bit them in the ass when they couldn't deliver.
Old 03-11-14, 12:27 PM

I agree that the arc of the two main characters was the primary driver for the show, but let's not pretend the "whodunit" aspect wasn't important. Otherwise, they could've just revealed the killer in the first episode, "Columbo" style.
Old 03-11-14, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I agree that the arc of the two main characters was the primary driver for the show, but let's not pretend the "whodunit" aspect wasn't important. Otherwise, they could've just revealed the killer in the first episode, "Columbo" style.
Nor should we forgive them for all the cliches that found their way into the 'catch the killer' sequence in the finale.
Old 03-11-14, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I don't want to rehash Lost, but the "it's about the characters" line was bullshit in relation to that show. The characters were never consistent, and frankly a lot of them were annoying as fuck.

This show, while I would have liked more about the mystery, I loved the two characters, and I am pretty satisfied with the ending. These two guys were just really fun to watch together week after week.

Yes, I'm pissed creepy lawnmower guy wasn't a red herring, and instead was some weird multi-accented, serial killing child molestor. Yes, I wanted it to be more about a cult of rich dudes, but I think many people saw that coming so maybe the creepy guy mowing lawns is pretty unexpected in that regard.
Old 03-11-14, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I don't want to rehash Lost, but the "it's about the characters" line was bullshit in relation to that show. The characters were never consistent, and frankly a lot of them were annoying as fuck.
I don't want to rehash it either and I have no problem with anyone that thinks TD was better than LOST.

My point was simply that TD left plenty of questions out there and tried to cover it up with "we got our guy, that's all that we can do" which was similar to Lost throwing out "whatever happened, happened".

While I thought the show was great and created two awesome characters, I didn't find the ending to be 100% satisfying. I wanted to know more about the cult and their satanic rituals. I wanted to know if and how Marty's daughter was involved. And if she wasn't, why give us hints that she was part of the bigger picture?

The fact we got a happy ending for Rust and Marty is nice. They got the closure they needed. Being that they were such great characters, it was great to see. I'm also happy that they didn't find the need to resort to a big twist and decided to play is straight.

But let's not ignore the stuff they built up in the show and didn't deliver on.
Old 03-11-14, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
My point was simply that TD left plenty of questions out there and tried to cover it up with "we got our guy, that's all that we can do" which was similar to Lost throwing out "whatever happened, happened".
I took the "we got our guy" element to mean that Marty and Rust weren't super cops (hell, they weren't even cops at the end) - but instead were two troubled guys who solved one part of something much, much larger and much more evil.

To have them shut it all down - with their limited resources - would have been pushing it, imo.

Will the ritualistic killings of women/children continue? We don't know for sure. But did Marty and Rust stop the man they were after? Indeed.
Old 03-11-14, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's pretty much exactly what it meant to me too. I get what they were going for: an empty feeling at the end, knowing that the job wasn't fully done but that's how real life works. Doesn't change the fact they introduced all these elements to this big conspiracy and gave us no closure for it.

Hell, we don't even know how right Rust was as far as the whole conspiracy goes. In the first episode Marty tells Rust not to assume the story because it'll end with him trying to fit pieces of the puzzle into his pre-determined story. Rust could have been off, maybe by a lot, but it all fit into the story he already created.
Old 03-11-14, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Believe me, I wanted all that stuff explored to. But I only invested 8 episodes, not 7 seasons, into those "mysteries."
Old 03-11-14, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001
That's pretty much exactly what it meant to me too. I get what they were going for: an empty feeling at the end, knowing that the job wasn't fully done but that's how real life works. Doesn't change the fact they introduced all these elements to this big conspiracy and gave us no closure for it.

Hell, we don't even know how right Rust was as far as the whole conspiracy goes. In the first episode Marty tells Rust not to assume the story because it'll end with him trying to fit pieces of the puzzle into his pre-determined story. Rust could have been off, maybe by a lot, but it all fit into the story he already created.
Pretty clear cut what the conspiracy was (though it did take a couple viewings to piece it together):

Errol's (lawnmower man) father was sheriff Ted Childress and his grandfather was Sam Tuttle. Sam Tuttle was the leader of a cult that raped and sacrificed children; his other bastard son, Billy Lee Tuttle, was involved with it and likely also did terrible things to Errol (hence his involvement in the task force). In 1995, sheriff Childress helped cover up for Errol by altering missing persons cases.

By 2012, Errol and his half sister are all that's left of the cult and the other Tuttles are legit members of the community that are trying not to have their family associated with the murder cult. It was told in the margins and purposely left vague and maybe that's not satisfying but I didn't have any trouble putting the pieces together.
Old 03-11-14, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Even with the loaned out HBO Go credentials that apparently crashed the site, at least people are watching HBO shows like this legally as opposed to torrents or shit 3rd party streaming sites from Europe or whatever.

All the log-ins and people watching via HBO Go are counted for the show's overall ratings.
HBO Go, despite this Sunday's issues, is incredible. Best streaming service out there IMO. The HD video quality is astounding for a stream, and it doesn't seem to muck up my internet connection too much.
Old 03-11-14, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
HBO Go, despite this Sunday's issues, is incredible. Best streaming service out there IMO. The HD video quality is astounding for a stream, and it doesn't seem to muck up my internet connection too much.
And

HBO’s CEO Doesn’t Care That You Are Sharing Your HBO Go Password
Old 03-11-14, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think people need to give the Marty's daughter thing a rest. The idea that she was involved in some way is a pretty far out fan theory. I never bought it myself. It picked up a lot of steam on the internet, but just because it wasn't true doesn't mean those scenes were pointless. They served a pretty clear purpose, and I don't know why people are so focused on it.
Old 03-11-14, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0

This show, while I would have liked more about the mystery, I loved the two characters, and I am pretty satisfied with the ending. These two guys were just really fun to watch together week after week.
Most definitely.

Will be interesting to see how they cast S2. They hit the jackpot with Matthew and Woody. So so good.
Old 03-11-14, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

One question I have now that it's all over is why was Dora Lange left out there to be found in the first place? Seems like all the rest of the victims were purposefully made to disappear for good.
Old 03-11-14, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by JTH182
One question I have now that it's all over is why was Dora Lange left out there to be found in the first place? Seems like all the rest of the victims were purposefully made to disappear for good.
The reason for that is because the show is about the two main characters only and nothing needs to be explained.
Old 03-11-14, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

The video is 2 months old. Just saying, after a high profile outage during a finale, they might start caring a little more. We'll see how it does during Game of Thrones this season.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.