Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Catch a Contractor - Home Improvement Revenge show w/ Adam Carolla - Sundays on Spike

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Catch a Contractor - Home Improvement Revenge show w/ Adam Carolla - Sundays on Spike

Old 03-11-14, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Catch a Contractor - Home Improvement Revenge show w/ Adam Carolla - Sundays on S

I would prefer that they show a little more of he actual work, and less of Skip Bedell puffing out his chest but I am enjoying it otherwise.
Old 03-30-14, 11:07 PM
Suspended

Re: Catch a Contractor - Home Improvement Revenge show w/ Adam Carolla - Sundays on S

Funny show tonight. All these families have been morans so far, and tonight they were called out on it.
Old 03-31-14, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I liked Carolla's reactions when he realized that the contractor had all the answers, and it was the customers that were at fault.
Old 03-31-14, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

It's an OK show. I actually like the brevity and wouldn't want it padded out to an hour. I'm not too fond of Corolla and his lame observations delivered nasally.
Old 10-22-14, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This came back at the end of September. I watched some of last week's episode at a someone's house. Still entertaining, but it's now an hour. I think the format works a lot better.
Old 10-23-14, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One hour is too long, as predicted. A lot of standing around and saying, "What's this crap? It looks like Ray Charles applied the grout".
Old 10-23-14, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kind of agree. 20 minutes was way too short, but this feels too long. I think it's because they spend too much time on the before, and not enough time on the actual work being done.
Old 10-23-14, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^That's true. Too much time confronting and insulting the crook.
Old 10-24-14, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

I haven't watched this show.

Handymen are hit and miss. There seems to be two types. There's the guys who really know what they're doing. These are the guys who generally quote higher, pay themselves well, and leave cushion for problems. And then there's the guys who are basically "DIY" people, with little skill and experience, who do home improvements for a living.
Old 10-24-14, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I haven't watched this show.

Handymen are hit and miss. There seems to be two types. There's the guys who really know what they're doing. These are the guys who generally quote higher, pay themselves well, and leave cushion for problems. And then there's the guys who are basically "DIY" people, with little skill and experience, who do home improvements for a living.
My landlord hired this kind of guy to fix a few things in my condo recently

So far it looks like the work hasn't been shoddy, nothing's broken down...yet?
Old 10-25-14, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

The show is even better (less rushed) in the hour format.
Old 10-26-14, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

I do like the longer format, but it still feels 'off.' I think the segments are out of balance. Just a tad too much reaming the contractor before going into the 'fix it' and 'reveal' phases.

This week's episode with Robert and the jacked up pool, was good. Just kept boasting about how good he was and then smash cut to his shit work. Good stuff. Also the finished job didn't even look like the same property. Pretty amazing work.
Old 11-05-14, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Busting the same guy twice? Manny has some major cajones to do that to a Marine. What a dipshit. This one was a blast.
Old 11-06-14, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Yeah, but it's just too long. As well, I'm still waiting for an episode in which a fraudster says, "Fuck off, take me to court", and the programs shows these Corolla and Bedell guys pursuing the lawsuit through to the end, including payout. To me, that would be more entertaining.
Old 06-22-15, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Fuck this show. Handyman are often unreliable. But Adam and the other guy stand around and nitpick and belittle the poor guy. And there's nothing that can come of it. I mean, if you're an unlicensed contractor, there's a very good chance that you have no way to "take a loss" on a project that you under-quoted. I would equate to a bill collector calling and harassing someone who is totally broke.

The people who hire them are to blame. You can't go to your "cheapest buddy" to do work. Some guy quoted $40k in work, and then ran out of money. That's what happens in just about every home improvement project run by unlicensed contractors. The husband/wife should have went to a pro firm who would have quoted it at $70k, and got the job done. Boo hoo. Instead, they go with the cheap guy, and then act like he should be able to pick up the bill for an under-quoted project.

I don't know. Maybe I just "get it" more than other people. But if someone quotes you $40k, and you think "that's all?", it's always going to end with problems. It sucks that a contractor/handyman gets you into that position. But it also sucks that you didn't know better.
Old 06-22-15, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,432 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Fuck this show. Handyman are often unreliable. But Adam and the other guy stand around and nitpick and belittle the poor guy. And there's nothing that can come of it. I mean, if you're an unlicensed contractor, there's a very good chance that you have no way to "take a loss" on a project that you under-quoted. I would equate to a bill collector calling and harassing someone who is totally broke.

The people who hire them are to blame. You can't go to your "cheapest buddy" to do work. Some guy quoted $40k in work, and then ran out of money. That's what happens in just about every home improvement project run by unlicensed contractors. The husband/wife should have went to a pro firm who would have quoted it at $70k, and got the job done. Boo hoo. Instead, they go with the cheap guy, and then act like he should be able to pick up the bill for an under-quoted project.

I don't know. Maybe I just "get it" more than other people. But if someone quotes you $40k, and you think "that's all?", it's always going to end with problems. It sucks that a contractor/handyman gets you into that position. But it also sucks that you didn't know better.
A few years ago I got quotes for landscaping the back yard. Three were from $3000 to $5000. One was for $1200. Guess who I immediately eliminated?
Old 06-22-15, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm close to having had it with this show. It really is awfully drawn out now with the put-downs. Besides, you know everybody is being paid an appearance fee, so who cares. If it were real, that would be more interesting.