TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-14, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Gooter
Caught the first half of his show last night. The Brian Williams / Lester Holt edited video clip mashup to Rapper's Delight was Awesome!!!
Yeah, that was good. I liked the charades with Cooper, McGraw and Emma Thompson also.
Old 02-20-14, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I cracked up at the Brian Willams/Lester Holt rendition of Rapper's Delight.
Old 02-20-14, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah, they did a great job on that mash-up, had to take a while to pull that one off. The last one was pretty good too.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-YCeIgt7hMs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/00IpNWoaXiw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-20-14, 03:41 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

anyone else think he is playing it safe right now and feels a little uncomfortable right now and will start to do more of his skits as time goes on and get into the groove? i mean he isn't in danger of anything right?
Old 02-20-14, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He just doesn't want to alienate his new audience members. These will be the highest rated shows of his career (thanks in part to being a new host and the Olympics) so he'll probably play it safe until Sochi is over and done with
Old 02-20-14, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

I guess it's more interesting to see what his ratings are a few weeks down the line when the dust settles.
Old 02-20-14, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm almost surprised there was no outrage over him fake smoking a joint to describe Cool Runnings (it's the obvious thing to do). Cuz EVERYTHING seems to bring upon outrage these days
Old 02-20-14, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That was pretty cool of Michelle Obama to do that skit
Old 02-21-14, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well ow we know Fallon can switch on his serious side.
Old 02-21-14, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fallon and JT rap
Old 02-21-14, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

JT should've been his very first guest instead of Will Smith. Probably a schedule conflict but still...
Old 02-22-14, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
anyone else think he is playing it safe right now and feels a little uncomfortable right now and will start to do more of his skits as time goes on and get into the groove? i mean he isn't in danger of anything right?
well whatever he is he's MILES better than those SHIT FESTERING last two guys!
Old 02-22-14, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Missed the first half hour tonight because all week he's been starting @ 11! grrrrrr!
Old 02-22-14, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by astrochimp
Yeah, but she completely crapped on the whole thing when she pulled out the extremely pretentious "My kids don't watch TV" while herself appearing on a TV Show.
Old 02-22-14, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by astrochimp
Whether they are republicans or democrats, I hate when politicans come on late night shows. I have a problem that the first week of Fallon and then Meyers are using the First Lady in a skit, and then Biden will be the first guest on Meyers show on Monday. Again, I just hate that late night comedy and politicans have crossed over as late night is the one time I want to get away from seeing a politicans face.

I'm probably in the minority as people eat this shit up, but this tells me we will be seeing more and more of these phony politicans trying to get air-time on late night shows to boost their approval ratings.
Old 02-22-14, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Whether they are republicans or democrats, I hate when politicans come on late night shows. I have a problem that the first week of Fallon and then Meyers are using the First Lady in a skit, and then Biden will be the first guest on Meyers show on Monday. Again, I just hate that late night comedy and politicans have crossed over as late night is the one time I want to get away from seeing a politicans face.

I'm probably in the minority as people eat this shit up, but this tells me we will be seeing more and more of these phony politicans trying to get air-time on late night shows to boost their approval ratings.
I think it's a temporary phenomenon. The Obama administration has very close ties to NBC's executives. It's as much a favor to the network as anything else.
Old 02-23-14, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like ratings were very solid all week. yes they had the Olympics, but people seemingly decided to give him a shot. averaged over 8 million viewers
Old 02-23-14, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKing
Yeah, but she completely crapped on the whole thing when she pulled out the extremely pretentious "My kids don't watch TV" while herself appearing on a TV Show.
It's not even a little bit pretentious if it is true.
Old 02-23-14, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Looks like ratings were very solid all week. yes they had the Olympics, but people seemingly decided to give him a shot. averaged over 8 million viewers
He had the Olympics as a lead-in and The Tonight Show is still a powerful brand for many people. The telling ratings will be a year from now. NBC has fully committed to him as their guy, the ratings will have to be terrible for them to go in a different direction.
Old 02-24-14, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Still don't think it was a good idea hiring Fallon for the Tonight Show or moving the show to New York.

I guess they're just going to let Jimmy Kimmel get all the good guests out in LA now.

With all that being said, I thought it was a good first week. The skits were enjoyable and although I normally hate when they play a game with the guest, the charades was pretty funny.
Old 02-24-14, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Still don't think it was a good idea hiring Fallon for the Tonight Show or moving the show to New York.

I guess they're just going to let Jimmy Kimmel get all the good guests out in LA now.
It's New York, not Omaha. Plenty of celebrities go to New York when they're on publicity tours. "The Tonight Show" isn't going to be lacking for good guests.
Old 02-24-14, 02:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
It's New York, not Omaha. Plenty of celebrities go to New York when they're on publicity tours. "The Tonight Show" isn't going to be lacking for good guests.
True enough, but as I brought up elsewhen, there's the added reality of no fewer than three of the four major 11pm talkers originating in NYC. Given the celebs these shows book do work and live primarily on the west coast, it is going to prove problematic. Daily, Late and Tonight shows on one side, Kimmel on the other - plus Meyers and Colbert. So five New Yorkers vying for guests five nights a week, broken down:

2 Guests, 1 Performer for Fallon, Letterman, Meyers.
1 Guest for Stewart and Colbert.

8 celebrities need to be in New York every single night, as well as three performers, usually musicians.

So 40 celebrities a week... in New York City. I just don't see how that's workable. True, we're only adding Fallon to the mix, but it's a show which adds numerous kinks - the two major, established late night brands that draw the A-listers and go head to head now must compete for guests whereas before they both drew from totally separate pools. Since Late Show was only created in 92, this has never happened previously to know whether or not it can work.

But most problematic of all is NBC requiring its two late nighters to compete for guests in New York. There's good reason why CBS split its late night properties between coasts, what with media conglomerates seeking to promote their stable of stars in film, television and music over others much of the time - why Letterman has Mark Harmon or Jim Parsons, or stars of Showtime series, and so on.

Can it work? Well, it almost has to (or else...), but long term I don't see how it will. We'll just have to see how it pans out, and exactly what's going on in six months time.
Old 02-24-14, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

The 40 number is inflated because half the guests on Colbert/Stewart are political people and policy makers who likely would never appear on the network late night shows.
Old 02-24-14, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Guests don't have to be celebrities. There are sports personalities, politicians, big-name musicians can be both guest and musician like Timberlake. They can have stand-up comedians fill up a spot if need be. There are regular people that's in the news with a feel-good story. As a last resort, bring on some animals.

A good host will make it a good show, no matter who the guest.
Old 02-24-14, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Personally, I'm really enjoying Fallon. I've yet to see how well he does in interviews, but I LOVE that he brings on the variety. He can sing, he dances, he does game show bits, he does skits--Leno, Letterman, and Fallon pretty much don't touch that stuff, and Ferguson only once in a while (though he's probably a better interviewer).

I also like that Fallon isn't sarcastic or too crass. I get enough of that with Stewart, Letterman and Ferguson. It's nice to have a "nice guy" who's hilarious and can do a wide variety of things.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.