Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-14, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Tonight Show starring Jimmy Fallon Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Goat3001
It won't be an everyday thing. Maybe a once in awhile thing. They won't shut down Top of the Rock every evening for a small concert.

I liked it. It really was no different than his late night show which I really enjoyed too. Fallon won't keep me in stitches but he's entertaining and has a lot of fun bits.
To be honest, I didn't even realize it was open to the public. After your reply and Googling, I see it is apparently an observation deck - limited to sight seeing? Meaning no restaurant/business?

If so, I still stand by my comment. For the U2 concert, it looked like they crammed maybe a hundred people up there? I'd be blown away if, on a typical weeknight evening over maybe two hours (time to set up equipment) they even have as many people doing the observing thing as they do watching a musical performance. Then again, I didn't know it was open to the public a few minutes ago, so...

Still, this should be a regular thing - like a Friday night concert series. If they don't take advantage of that at least once a week, they're idiots. Why even bother moving it back to NYC if you have that and don't exploit it? (Don't bother answering that... I'm sure the tax credit they apparently got for the 'talk show with audience of at least *** that filmed elsewhere for at least five years' played a huge part... well, that, plus Lorne Michaels)

Maybe I'm easily swayed by imagery, but I was really blown away by the visuals they managed to get for that segment. It'd suck to think it was a one-time, or even a once-a-year type of deal.
Old 02-18-14, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coladar1

Ferguson, though? Somehow, this obscure, low-budget, basement dwelling gay robot skeleton announcing show just became the second choice. In other words, it went from it's usual guests to likely booking many folks who would've otherwise been on Leno.

Not at the start, but in a month or so? Meyers is going to suffer big time. It'll either be Zzz-list names, or people who everyone just saw the same questions asked of two nights before on Letterman and Fallon. Add into that the fact Meyers is untested, never having hosted anything like this before, and the well-known fact hosts like this usually suck hard the first year or two until they settle in and find their voice and style? A. I'd hate to be Meyers. B. I'd love to be Craig Ferguson.
another thing with Craig is that his show is very casual and he very rarely ever blatently says 'now lets talk about the movie/tv show your here to promote. I wouldn't be surprised if certain A Listers don't like doing his show due to that its not just the usual 'tell a story, then promote', so this would probably benefit Kimmel most
Old 02-18-14, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

To be honest, I didn't even realize it was open to the public. After your reply and Googling, I see it is apparently an observation deck - limited to sight seeing? Meaning no restaurant/business?

If so, I still stand by my comment. For the U2 concert, it looked like they crammed maybe a hundred people up there? I'd be blown away if, on a typical weeknight evening over maybe two hours (time to set up equipment) they even have as many people doing the observing thing as they do watching a musical performance. Then again, I didn't know it was open to the public a few minutes ago, so...

Still, this should be a regular thing - like a Friday night concert series. If they don't take advantage of that at least once a week, they're idiots. Why even bother moving it back to NYC if you have that and don't exploit it? (Don't bother answering that... I'm sure the tax credit they apparently got for the 'talk show with audience of at least *** that filmed elsewhere for at least five years' played a huge part... well, that, plus Lorne Michaels)

Maybe I'm easily swayed by imagery, but I was really blown away by the visuals they managed to get for that segment. It'd suck to think it was a one-time, or even a once-a-year type of deal.

It's hard to judge. I know that Top of the Rock is very popular, especially now that people are realizing it's cooler than the Empire State Building. It gets pretty packed, especially in the early evening which is when I imagine they'd be filming the show.

Is it so popular that they can't kick out the tourists for a short concert? I don't know. For sure it's not something they can do every night. I'm not even sure it's something worthwhile for them to do once a week. I agree with you, it was very cool to see, but I don't think they will/can make it a regular thing.
Old 02-18-14, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Didn't catch all of the show, but stayed up late enough to catch the monologue and sequence of $100 guests. Didn't even recognize Tina Fey initially. When she wants to look sexy, she looks sexy.
I think what Fallon did last night could almost be a touche of sorts to Kimmel, who is also known for getting big stars to do guest shots.

I hope they let Fallon stick around for a while. I would love watching him when I'm in my elder years and being able to say I caught his first show. He's only a couple of years older than me, so it's entirely possible.
Old 02-18-14, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Just watched it. I never watched him on late night.
I think he's pretty dull, but I do like the music pieces, and the U2 acoustic was great.
I'll tune in for the good musical guests, but I doubt if I will watch one interview he does.
Old 02-18-14, 08:57 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I can't help to remember Conan's first week on Tonight Show. It was crazy funny with him in Universal Studios. I wish he was host now that Leno is gone.
The music on the roof was super cool. They need to do this because this was one of the only good things about the show. The dancing and interview with Will Smith sucked. I liked Leno better than Jimmy.
Jimmy is cute and sweet but not that funny. He should change the whole show to a musical review because the only time when he is really funny is when he is impersonating Neil Young or with Justin Timberlake.
Old 02-18-14, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Fallon is a better host than I ever thought he would be from his SNL career. His sincerity works for him, it doesn't appear to be a carefully crafted stage persona. He's not the greatest comedian, however. Which will eventually wear on audiences over the years. It will be interesting to see what happens if Jon Stewart bolts for CBS if Letterman retires.
Old 02-18-14, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What will also be interesting is if Fallon has to interview politicians and be serious with serious issues and not just 'fanboy' over them.
Old 02-18-14, 11:37 PM

Haven't watched a late night show in about a decade, but saw the Evolution of Hip Hop Dancing clip and gave the rest of the show a shot. Loved every second of it, especially the $100 cameos, U2's acoustic set, and the rooftop performance. Will be checking this out daily on Hulu+ now.
Old 02-18-14, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fallon managed to talk Jerry into doing the Olympics routine "the awfulness of winning the silver medel'
Old 02-18-14, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

and he wastes a Kristen Wiig interview with her impersonating an One Direction member
Old 02-18-14, 11:58 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
and he wastes a Kristen Wiig interview with her impersonating an One Direction member
I think that was Wiig's bit, she was on his show before and pretended to be Michael Jordan.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/J4-Tru0XREY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-19-14, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I was hoping lady gaga would trip down those stairs but she didn't.

She's good at falling down.
Old 02-19-14, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by mcnabb
To this day, I thought Letterman should have gotten the Tonight Show after Carson as he was much funnier then Leno.
I don't know if that would have the been the right thing to do in terms of ratings, but I agree that Letterman was funnier at the time. Letterman also went through that long period after 9/11 where they couldn't get any guests to fly out there. During that time, it was like a rotating guest list of mostly NY-based people like Regis Philbin, Marv Albert, Tom Brokaw, Howard Stern, etc.

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Now something happened to Letterman in the past 10-15 years where he has just gotten angrier, more political, and less funny as I rarely watch him these days. But if anyone remembers back in the late 80's, Lettermans 12:30 show was in many ways just as great as Carson's 11:30 show.
I totally agree. The shows he did at NBC were classics. It was never the same after he went to CBS.

Originally Posted by jeffkjoe
The question is:

Jimmy Fallon used to book the SNL weekly hosts on his old talk show.

So now that both Fallon and Meyers have their own shows, who gets first dibs on booking the SNL hosts? Meyers? Because his show is on the same floor as SNL?
I'm sure Fallon will get the bulk of them, but that's only 21 guests per year out of some 200+ shows that Fallon will do.

You just know Ferguson has got to be ready to send NBC a fortune for setting things up for him this way. Let's be blunt, Conan and Arsenio both are z-list by and large for attracting the "huge names." Just reality of their network and ratings and so on.
Conan and Arsenio are z-list in terms of ratings, but both get pretty good a-list guests. Being in L.A. and having lots of celebrity friends is probably the main reason.

As for Feguson, I love him. I think he's doing the most intelligent, unique show in Late Night. But I recognize the fact that his show is too unconventional for mainstream audiences. His guests will get better simply by The Tonight Show moving East.

Admittedly, daytime talkers like Ellen, The Talk, View, yadda yadda change the game, offering extra LA outlets... But this was a win for Ferguson before the battle even begins. Add into that Tonight and Late Show diluting the available guests for Meyers? I mean, there are just so many big names in NYC - figure six celebrities and three musicians a night, five nights a week.
The View is in NY. So are Kelly & Michael, Charlie Rose, The Today Show, Good Morning America, CBS This Morning and Howard Stern's radio show. The ratio of talk shows to available A-listers is clearly going to favor Kimmel & Ferguson.

Not at the start, but in a month or so? Meyers is going to suffer big time. It'll either be Zzz-list names, or people who everyone just saw the same questions asked of two nights before on Letterman and Fallon.
That's a good question as to whether a guest would appear on both Fallon and Meyers during the same week. Usually, someone who flies to NY to promote a movie will do either Today or GMA, then go do either Kelly & Michael or The View, followed by either Letterman or Fallon that evening. Just as guests generally don't do both Today & GMA the same week, I wouldn't think we'd see someone on both Fallon & Meyers the same week. I could be wrong though, it will be interesting.
Old 02-19-14, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Is there some rule that all the main host of the Tonight Show must have names that start with the letter "J". Jack Parr, Johnny Carson, Jay Leno, Jimmy Fallon.
Old 02-19-14, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

They closed Top of the Rock for both Sunday night and Monday night. Filmed U2 doing two takes each night. Sunday was a backup for Monday. It held about 100 fans, mostly U2.com fan club members from the NYC area. They ended up using Monday nights 2nd take of Invisible for the actual show.

Rumor is after the performances, all the TS staff/execs loved the backdrop, but want to be careful to not overuse it for performances.
Old 02-19-14, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by movieguru
Is there some rule that all the main host of the Tonight Show must have names that start with the letter "J". Jack Parr, Johnny Carson, Jay Leno, Jimmy Fallon.
Steve Allen.
Old 02-19-14, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by movieguru
Hey, that's nowhere as bad as the Late Late Show - I smell a network money-saving Illuminati conspiracy!

What were the odds you went from a host named Craig to... a host named Craig? Directly? (Kilborne to Ferguson, for the exceedingly young/poor memories amongst us) Cripes, how many people can one even think of named Craig, period? The J-conspiracy, which Conan also disproved along with Steve Allen, has nothing on the Craig-spiracy at CBS (All even begin with C! It's all connected! The extradimensional lizards wearing meat suits have the whole thing planned! Run for your life!)
Old 02-19-14, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

Actually this is one of the best things and greatest strengths of Fallon's show.

What was going to be interesting or particularly entertaining about a standard five-minute interview with Wiig? Are you just dying to get an update on if she will make a Bridesmaids 2?

Instead, Fallon let's her come on TV and do some piece of goofy comedy.

People are so concerned about Fallon's ability to do interviews. Interviews are BORING (except for Craig Ferguson's interviews). The more Fallon's Tonight Show is like a comedy/musical variety show, the better it is, I say.
Old 02-19-14, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Seems like it's hard to find a late night host who's both an interviewer and entertainer. Fallon is clearly an entertainer, and Letterman the interviewer. I don't find Kimmel to be much of either, but he has easy access to guests.
Old 02-19-14, 08:10 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I think I will be watching Kimmel from now on after watching the Tonight Show since the 1970's when I first started when I was 9 years old.
I prefer the host to be more like Kimmel as he tells funny jokes like Carson and Leno and Conan.
I will tune to Fallon when he has one of his special music moments.
Old 02-20-14, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

What will also be interesting is if Fallon has to interview politicians and be serious with serious issues and not just 'fanboy' over them.
Why would he need to ever be serious with politicians? Any Tonight Show interview should be light. Fallon had Chris Christie, Obama and Romney on Late Night and he did a bit called 'Slow Jam The News' and they were great.

Here is the Obama one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAFQIciWsF4

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Actually this is one of the best things and greatest strengths of Fallon's show.

What was going to be interesting or particularly entertaining about a standard five-minute interview with Wiig? Are you just dying to get an update on if she will make a Bridesmaids 2?
I agree completely. I rarely watch the interviews, regardless of who is hosting. I'd much rather watch Tom Cruise smash eggs on his head then hear him talk about whatever movie he's promoting.

I hope he keeps those bits around now that he's on the Tonight Show. The best part of Late Night was how he got all these celebrities to play these silly games.
Old 02-20-14, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by dex14
Man do I hate that...
Seconded. I tend to find something less funny when a person is cracking up. Its the same level as idiot tracks...sorry i mean laughter tracks.
Old 02-20-14, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Count Dooku

Instead, Fallon let's her come on TV and do some piece of goofy comedy.

People are so concerned about Fallon's ability to do interviews. Interviews are BORING (except for Craig Ferguson's interviews). The more Fallon's Tonight Show is like a comedy/musical variety show, the better it is, I say.
Agreed. Love the fun and the freshness that Jimmy Fallon brings to his shows. His "Best Of" was some of the freshest stuff I've seen on late night in a while. This guy knows how to use social media and is current. I loved the Accapello U2 performance. It's moments like that which sets him apart from Letterman, whom I find dry and boring.
Old 02-20-14, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Caught the first half of his show last night. The Brian Williams / Lester Holt edited video clip mashup to Rapper's Delight was Awesome!!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.