Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ballers (HBO) -- S: Dwayne Johnson -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 6/21/15

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-15, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts
Re: Ballers (HBO) -- S: Dwayne Johnson -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 6/21/15

So Spencer is having troubles with Vernon because of his friend Reggie.
Jerret is having problems with his team-mates treating him like a rookie and fucking with him all the time.

Those two story lines have been repeating themselves the last 3 episodes. The stories are moving at a snails pace.
Old 07-13-15, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Liked last night's episode.

Vernon is a greedy naive idiot and Reggie is a fucking leach. I was glad to see Spencer tell them to fuck off. Spencer should have told Reggie to do all the fucking negotiating

5 years, $101M. Too bad they didn't cast Jerry Jones. I would have loved to have seen him tell Vernon to fuck off with that figure. Especially considering how hard ball he's been playing with Dez Bryant.

at Charles being tempted.
Old 07-14-15, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

This seems to be getting better. I'll stick with it.
Old 07-20-15, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk God

After last week's good episode, the show regressed to probably the worst episode of the season.

The only good scenes featured Joe and Spencer together. The Rock and Corddry have good chemistry and play off each other quite well.

This was just a showcase of cliched and dumb behavior from these jocks.

Hated the Vernon blackmail plot. I laughed at how his leach buddy really had nothing to add in that whole conversation.

at how dumb Charles was for e-mailing the photo of that groupie to himself. Just a contrived way to create conflict between him and his wife. Charles is just a dumb meathead. His subplot is probably the worst of the 3 running storylines.

Disappointed with how the whole Ricky and Alonzo thing transpired. Alonzo is confronted with a serious issue that could end his career and he walks back into the strip club. it was kind of neat that Jerret used his girlfriend's uncle to help with it, but I was hoping more would come from it than just a slap on the wrist and you can take your #18 back.

The ending was really abrupt. This is where the show would probably benefit being 1 hour. Some of the plots just don't feel fleshed out for a 30 minute episode.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-20-15 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-21-15, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hated the pilot, liked most of the subsequent episodes until this past week, which felt like a step backward. Still, this show has lots of untapped potential with a great cast and interesting setup - they just need to focus less on business and more on characters Hope they give Dule Hill more to do soon as well.
Old 07-22-15, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think this show could sustain an hour. They're struggling to fill the 30 minutes.

I agree this week was pretty bad. In a way I wish this show was more like Arliss so that Rock and Cordry could interact with more clients. I think the big problem I'm having with this show is that the cast is just boring. I really like Rock's whole deal and Ricky is really good as well. But Vernon and Charles are just boring characters.
Old 07-22-15, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Yeah we need more plot lines of The Rock, Cordry and that agent guy working together to do deals.
Old 07-22-15, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hate Cordry, same character in everything he does.

Watched the last couple of episodes back to back, only because I had nothing else to watch and I couldn't sleep. I'll probably watch the rest of the season after it finishes airing, but really, if I never saw another episode, I wouldn't care.
Old 07-22-15, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't mind Cordry in this, but I kind of wish they went with another actor because Cordry makes things too comedic. Which would be fine if this was a straight up comedy, but this show seems to be walking that dramedy line.
Old 07-22-15, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
Different strokes, I guess. I like Corddry and think he's the most consistently entertaining part of the show.
Old 07-23-15, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Different strokes, I guess. I like Corddry and think he's the most consistently entertaining part of the show.
Old 07-23-15, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
I like him but I do agree he's the same character all the time. I see 0 difference between his character here and on Community.

I thought the latest episode was pretty good. Not as good as the last two or three but thought it was better than the pilot.

I wish the Rock wasn't completely tied up in Vernon. I'd like to see him do more and have one off clients show up with problems. Basically make Rock like Ari Gold except have him be the focal point.

I liked the conclusion of the Ricky/Alonzo feud. It was pretty funny stuff. Loved the conversation between Ricky and Charles at the strip club.

I'm not a huge fan of the Charles stuff but it's ok. It was pretty predictable that he wasn't going to cheat but his wife would find out anyway. And as an aside: make a choice. If you want to come clean, come clean. If you're going to lie, go all the way with it. He should have just told his wife that it's some chick that Ricky had on the side and he sent the pic to him and he saved it. She'd probably still be pissed but not nearly as much. I'm not married and my longest relationship lasted about 6 months. So maybe my advice isn't very good.
Old 07-27-15, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Much better than last week's episode.

Liked Spencer's storyline about him putting off the MRI and being scared of what they would find.

I also liked hearing the backstory of Ricky and his supposed absentee former NFL father and how he resents him. Sucks that his hot girlfriend dumped him.

The Charles storyline is still lame and it was lame that he kissed and made up with his wife so easily even after they teased some temptations with him. So is he going to go back home and sell cars again next week?

The Vernon blackmail storyline is still lame as well. I don't think we even saw Reggie in this episode, which was good.

Episode ended pretty abruptly though with Spencer entering the MRI.
Old 07-28-15, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Except it was a CT Scan. I'm not sure why they kept saying MRI, and then Spencer mentioned going for his CT.
Old 07-28-15, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't know, I'm ready to call it: this show is just bad. I enjoy Johnson, but he's not enough to hold this mess together. It's kind of a comedy, but not particularly funny. It's kind of a drama, but there's no real central narrative thread. It's just a handful of loosely connected characters being totally boring. Lots of comparisons to Entourage, but it doesn't hold a candle. There's no strong "buddy" relationships, other than the dick Reggie and his ungrateful shitstain of a free ride. And the potential of a "behind-the-scenes" look at NFL players and their lives has been totally squandered so far.
Old 07-28-15, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
I don't know, I'm ready to call it: this show is just bad. I enjoy Johnson, but he's not enough to hold this mess together. It's kind of a comedy, but not particularly funny. It's kind of a drama, but there's no real central narrative thread. It's just a handful of loosely connected characters being totally boring. Lots of comparisons to Entourage, but it doesn't hold a candle. There's no strong "buddy" relationships, other than the dick Reggie and his ungrateful shitstain of a free ride. And the potential of a "behind-the-scenes" look at NFL players and their lives has been totally squandered so far.
Thanks for posting what I was too lazy to do myself. Completely agree. If not for Corddry I would have already bailed.
Old 07-28-15, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to agree as well.

I don't hate the show - it's just not all that interesting. The characters also aren't that interesting, and te story lines feel pretty minor, yet they're stretching them for the season. Not a lot is happening from episode to episode and many times it feels like it's just rehashing stuff in the previous episodes.
Old 07-30-15, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Much better than last week's episode.

Liked Spencer's storyline about him putting off the MRI and being scared of what they would find.

I also liked hearing the backstory of Ricky and his supposed absentee former NFL father and how he resents him. Sucks that his hot girlfriend dumped him.

The Charles storyline is still lame and it was lame that he kissed and made up with his wife so easily even after they teased some temptations with him. So is he going to go back home and sell cars again next week?

Originally Posted by MrMiyagi
Man walk on road.. Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later...squish just like grape.
Old 08-09-15, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk God

FYI

Tonight's episode airs at 10:30pm due to True Detective's extended finale.

There's 2 more episodes left after tonight

I was kind of grossed out by last week's episode seeing 80-something Marlo Thomas playing Jason's Mom with a 20-something boyfriend.
Old 08-09-15, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was kind of grossed out by last week's episode seeing 80-something Marlo Thomas playing Jason's Mom with a 20-something boyfriend.
I wasn't grossed out by it, but I was wondering why we were given a story about a secondary characters mother dating a young guy. Jason was basically an outside character in the show who we knew nothing about - and then we're thrown into a story that's pretty irrelevant to everything.
Old 08-09-15, 07:29 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Because the show has no focus and really doesn't have a clear idea of what it wants to be. Hopefully they figure it out for next season.
Old 08-09-15, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Coral
I wasn't grossed out by it, but I was wondering why we were given a story about a secondary characters mother dating a young guy. Jason was basically an outside character in the show who we knew nothing about - and then we're thrown into a story that's pretty irrelevant to everything.
You're right. It was pretty irrelevant to throw in that subplot 7 episodes in during a 10 episode season with only 30 minutes of content per week. Jason is the the 4th supporting character (behind Jerret, Vernon and Charles) on the show that I don't think anyone gives a shit about.
Old 08-09-15, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is there some reason this isn't on HBO Go?
Old 08-09-15, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the rock jamming out to taylor swift needs an emmy
Old 08-10-15, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

You're right. It was pretty irrelevant to throw in that subplot 7 episodes in during a 10 episode season with only 30 minutes of content per week. Jason is the the 4th supporting character (behind Jerret, Vernon and Charles) on the show that I don't think anyone gives a shit about.
Spencer = Vince
Jason = E
Jerret = Johnny Drama
Vernon = Turtle

It's the formula Wahlberg uses. Super nice guy, the level headed guy, the over the top guy, the young middling guy

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.