TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Black Sails - (Starz) - Season 1 Thread - 1/25/14

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-14, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Black Sails - "V." - 2/22/14

Originally Posted by creekdipper
This post soon appearing in a STARZ promo near you!

I had forgotten about True Detective when I typed that.
Old 02-24-14, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Loved this episode. Some interesting sea-action, and pretty interesting cliffhanger. Everything is starting to gel pretty well.
Old 02-24-14, 07:40 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good episode for you war mongers.

Kidding, I've enjoyed them all, this probably the most. I would think it'd be hard to get a bunch of cannons off another ship, glad they didn't make it too simple.
Old 02-28-14, 10:48 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Black Sails - "VI." - 3/1/14

Season 1, Episode 6
Episode Synopsis: Chasing the Andromache proves costly; Eleanor realizes she'll need help from Silver; Billy encourages Gates to confront Flint; and Bonny decides it's time to take a stand. Original Air Date: Mar 1, 2014
Not sure if I'm going to be around tomorrow, posting a day early.
Old 03-01-14, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Watching part V right now and it's about damn time we got some action at sea. It's taken awhile, but things are coming together.

Maybe they were holding out on the pirate ship CG budget until later.

Eleanor's ego has really gotten inflated in the last few weeks.
Old 03-01-14, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Damn, the battle at sea is really intense. Now this is really feeling like a pirate show. Lots of carnage.

at Dufresne, being a lowly bookkeeper, being involved in the attack and chewing off that guy's throat like a vampire.

Best episode of the season.
Old 03-03-14, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Black Sails - "VI." - 3/1/14

Did no one watch this? The show gets better every episode. Not totally sure how they went from spotting sails on the horizon to suddenly being safe due to darkness, but whatever. I'll ignore it because pirates.

Just in case no one saw it yet:
Spoiler:
Billy, Noooooo!

I think Flint is supposed to be the hero, so we'll probably find out that it's just coincidence that our Captain's enemies die as soon as they start talking, but I kinda hope they go all in the other way. He doesn't look like a guy you'd want to fuck with, and this is a pirate show after all.
Old 03-03-14, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 165 Posts

Not that these are spoilers, but anyone who read Treasure Island and know its major characters would be aware who is or is NOT gonna make it on Black Sails. Unfortunately the suspense of this episode is lost to me due to that known info.

My conjecture based on the current pacing of the show, is that the first season is about the preparations. The second season will be the hunt. If they elect to make additional seasons it would deal with the consequences and fallout from the previous events that eventually set the table and lead to the novel.
Old 03-04-14, 03:10 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~
Not that these are spoilers, but anyone who read Treasure Island and know its major characters would be aware who is or is NOT gonna make it on Black Sails. Unfortunately the suspense of this episode is lost to me due to that known info.

My conjecture based on the current pacing of the show, is that the first season is about the preparations. The second season will be the hunt. If they elect to make additional seasons it would deal with the consequences and fallout from the previous events that eventually set the table and lead to the novel.
My doubloon's on Black Dog. Well, maybe Ben Gunn to take it all.
Old 03-04-14, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Six episodes in and I've seen about 12 minutes of action in 5 hrs and 20 minutes. Bah. I don't know why I'm still watching this thing.
Old 03-07-14, 03:21 AM
Banned

Funny...I've been really critical of the show (and the anachronistic dialogue still drives me up the wall...Hannah New's character is the worst offender), but finally caught up & watched Episodes 4, 5, & 6 in one sitting (well, with beer & bathroom break). I actually enjoyed it more this way since the story didn't drag out with the landlocked setting over a period of weeks.

Liked the sailing bit when they were trying to catch the ship. Didn't mind the smaller focus on the clerk during the battle scene, and liked the below-decks story.

Warming up to the show now & actually looking forward to VII. Out-of-time-period dialogue and all.
Old 03-07-14, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

So far I'm only finding this okay-to-average.

I find that the plot is overly complex with all of the agendas, pirate politics, connections, relationships, and vendettas. There's a lot of stuff going on here for a show that just began, and the ensemble cast isn't particularly strong. Nobody really stands out and everyone just sort of blends into the background. There's a lot of shit going on here... I would compare it to Game of Thrones in that regard... but Game of Thrones has better writing and actors to carry the viewer along.

It's mildly interesting, but we'll likely cancel Starz once this is over.
Old 03-07-14, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~
This kind of a strange set-up, wherein it mixes real, historical pirates like Anne Bonny, Jack Rackham, and Charles Vane in with characters from Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island.

I'm not sure if this is supposed to act as a prequel to Treasure Island, or if it's just some kind of mash-up. If it's set up as an actual prequel, then it's not difficult to figure out who's going to live and who's going to die.

The show also plays fast and loose with history; at the time this was taking place, Anne Bonny would have been twelve or thirteen, though she was probably part of Jack Rackham's crew at the time. The actress playing her looks a bit older than that.
Old 03-07-14, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 165 Posts

Starz seemed to have marketed this as a prequel to Treasure Island, at least that's what I recalled when first reading about it.

It's fine for what it is. Despite knowing the outcome I came for the entertainment and their interpretation and journey toward that end. It's no different than watching shows featuring many other fictional or real historical figures. For dramatic effects they mostly play fast and loose with facts and timelines. Personally I just go with it.
Old 03-07-14, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Same here. I treat the whole thing as a stand-alone fiction. There is enough to be distracted about and not to like as it is. That said, I thought the last two episodes were finally something worth watching. I'll stick it out at least to the end of this season.
Old 03-08-14, 08:25 AM

Black Sails - "VII." - 3/8/14

Season 1, Episode 7
Episode Synopsis: Flint comes clean to Gates; Silver is put in a tough position by Randall; Eleanor experiences loss; Rackham gets help from Max; and Vane has a life-or-death encounter. Original Air Date: Mar 8, 2014
Old 03-10-14, 03:44 AM
Banned

Re: Black Sails - "VII." - 3/8/14

The problem with 8-episode seasons: If you get too many conflicting plot lines involving multiple characters, you leave the viewers lukewarm since very little gets resolved.

Look at past historical theatrical epics that seemed really long at 3-4 hours and how much story got packed in (without characterizations suffering). I cannot fathom why a pirate series can't have a separate story that can be wrapped up each season while allowing for some ongoing plots to be continued in future seasons. That rewards the viewers for their loyalty while allowing for a somewhat satisfying conclusion if the show gets canceled. The cable model for shows such as Justified, Sons of Anarchy, Dexter, True Blood, etc have shown that most viewers like at least one major plot to be resolved each season. With only one episode left this year, can't see how Black Sails can pull that off since they haven't put out to sea to hunt the Orca yet. All of the main players are still standing even though a few circumstances have changed.

When *&%$ Jack #@*$ Rackham becomes the most *%@! interesting character (he's grown on me...I can relate to his frustration at the snail's pace & the short-sightedness of some of the leaders), the *%#$ show is in *$#! trouble from a #!@& writing angle, for #$&* sake.
Old 03-10-14, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Agree. But it should be noted that the end of this episode was the two ships leaving port.

I highly doubt they take the ship next ep though. Maybe the final shot will be the ship on the horizon (leading to season 2's 8 episode sea battle ).

Maybe the crew mutinies against Flint? And then Billy shows up somehow.

I guess Vane plans on taking Nassau with his new crew.

I would have liked to have seen more with that Zangief-looking dude.

They buried Vane naked?
Old 03-10-14, 07:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dalbowski

I would have liked to have seen more with that Zangief-looking dude.

They buried Vane naked?
I kind of wondered when first seeing him if he was going to be Edward Teach.

They may have buried Vane naked, but they left him with a shovel.

Now I see what Eleanor found so interesting about him.
Old 03-10-14, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Every time I see him I remember him from Shameless.
Old 03-10-14, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

I thought there was a baby elephant sneaking up behind him.

A lot of stories going on and to me it was like cramming too much into one season. At least we can look forward to more seasons. Here's to seeing next season with more action.
Old 03-10-14, 07:34 PM
Banned

Maybe Bay just wanted to prove that he could produce a show with lots of diverging plot lines (even with Neil Marshall at the helm).

Now he can get back to doing what he does best in Season 2. "They blowed up...real good!"
Old 03-15-14, 03:22 PM

Black Sails - Season Finale - "VIII." - 3/15/14

Season 1, Episode 8
Episode Synopsis: The hunt for the Urca continues; Eleanor's plans become unsettled; and Bonny and Rackham are haunted by their past indiscretions. Original Air Date: Mar 15, 2014
Season finale. Will return for a 10 episode 2nd season.

I bailed on this... just wasn't into it and too much else to watch. If I have time over the summer I will marathon the 8 episodes... Or wait until a little before season 2 starts.
Old 03-15-14, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Black Sails - Season Finale - "VIII." - 3/15/14

ever since dubya left the Whitehouse, this satisfies my requirement for bush.
Old 03-15-14, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Black Sails - Season Finale - "VIII." - 3/15/14

did not expect him to snap his neck like that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.