TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mythbusters 2014 Season

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-14, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Mythbusters 2014 Season

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
It's a shame. Jamie is a bore 90% of the time and rarely looks like he's having fun. Him and Adam also have very little chemistry. Kari, Tori & Grant always had fun and had great chemistry together. They were a great balance on the show.
Completely agree. I can't imagine watching this with just Jaime and Adam. As it stands, I mostly fast forward their segments at this point.
Old 08-22-14, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

To me it seems like the Tory, Kari, and Grant segments have all basically become "what can we make blow up?" which is fine at times but it gets old. If you go back and watch the earlier episodes Adam and Jamie actually proved or debunked a lot of cool myths.
Old 08-22-14, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Not even a going away parting gift for fans with a Naked & Afraid episode?
Wow. Stunned. Those last few seconds in last nite's ep made me upset. I know they had a bunch of retrospective shows coinciding with Mythbuster's 10th/Discovery Channel anniversaries the past few seasons, but those three deserved a more proper send off than the 1min. montage. But it's all TV business...I wonder when Kari, Tory, Grant were actually notified of this cost-cutting exit and if they were saving face at the Creative Arts emmys.

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Sounds like cost-cutting which will kill the show. Or is it dying already?
With the cheap junk Amish/moonshining shows the Discovery networks currently have on their plate, the long running staples such as this one and Deadliest Catch are probably on their last legs.

Jamie is a bore 90% of the time and rarely looks like he's having fun.
I can't help but think of the recurring Sid Gurney/Bart McAllister skit from the Bob and Tom radio show with Adam as Sid pushed around by bullish Jamie/Bart.

but yes, the scripted banter given to the B-team is just as hokey as the A-team's but at least those three tried to sound enthused given what they had to deliver. Jamie in contrast sometimes gives that standoffish vibe (tho I have yet to see any of their LIVE shows.)

Originally Posted by Mike86
seems like the Tory, Kari, and Grant segments have all basically become "what can we make blow up?"
I guess that explains the rushed 1 min. montage consisting mainly of them reacting to stuff being blown up

Good luck to them and look forward to their next ventures whether they reunite or go solo.

Old 08-22-14, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by skatefan20
Jamie in contrast sometimes gives that standoffish vibe (tho I have yet to see any of their LIVE shows.)
We saw live them a couple of years ago. Both Jamie and Adam seemed like they were having a great time. But it's still a bad move.
Old 08-22-14, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Jamie is just more deadpan than Adam is. I don't think anything is wrong with that or that they don't get along its just his personality.
Old 08-22-14, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Jamie wouldn't keep doing it if he didn't like it - that's just his character.
Old 08-22-14, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
To me it seems like the Tory, Kari, and Grant segments have all basically become "what can we make blow up?" which is fine at times but it gets old. If you go back and watch the earlier episodes Adam and Jamie actually proved or debunked a lot of cool myths.
Past couple of episodes included the 'tennis on the plane' and 'tipping' myths. Nary an explosion in sight.
Old 08-22-14, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Past couple of episodes included the 'tennis on the plane' and 'tipping' myths. Nary an explosion in sight.
Well I was just over generalizing but still it does seem like a lot of the segments they do basically just become that. Plus I don't particularly care for Tory or Grant anyways. Kari is hot but that's about it.
Old 08-22-14, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

It's a shame. Jamie is a bore 90% of the time and rarely looks like he's having fun. Him and Adam also have very little chemistry. Kari, Tori & Grant always had fun and had great chemistry together. They were a great balance on the show.
See I am the exact opposite. I liked the show early on, they scientifically tested a lot of myths and preconceptions. It was fun and interesting. Then with Kari it seemed like it became largely about guns and blowing stuff up and I found myself completely uninterested in it. I might watch if it goes back to it's roots. I realize she was a decent looking geek, but the show at least in my view is about the myths not the people. Pawn Stars is making the same mistake.
Old 08-22-14, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll definitely miss them, but they'd become rather forced with their comedy the last few seasons. I wonder if this has anything remotely to do with that cannon mishap a couple years ago. They had a new disclaimer this season where they said they had experts helping them stay safe as opposed to the usual "we're experts" wording.

What was great about the old days with just Adam and Jamie was that they'd go through all the steps in their experiment. They'd talk to "experts" on the particular subject and we'd see them go out collecting all the materials they needed to do the experiment. Now it's just small scale experiment, full scale experiment, and done. So I'll appreciate it if they go back to the old, less streamlined way of doing things. Maybe they can do a revisit of the exploding bumper and not half-ass it the way they originally did.
Old 08-22-14, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

It may be heresy, but I won't miss them. Their segments had become very repetitive - almost always guns and/or explosions and pretty much the exact same 'jokes' and corny banter every episode.
Old 08-23-14, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by the big train
I'll definitely miss them, but they'd become rather forced with their comedy the last few seasons. I wonder if this has anything remotely to do with that cannon mishap a couple years ago. They had a new disclaimer this season where they said they had experts helping them stay safe as opposed to the usual "we're experts" wording.

What was great about the old days with just Adam and Jamie was that they'd go through all the steps in their experiment. They'd talk to "experts" on the particular subject and we'd see them go out collecting all the materials they needed to do the experiment. Now it's just small scale experiment, full scale experiment, and done. So I'll appreciate it if they go back to the old, less streamlined way of doing things. Maybe they can do a revisit of the exploding bumper and not half-ass it the way they originally did.
Yeah, the whole "talk to experts" part of the show was only in the first season. Even at that, I don't think it even lasted the full season. The people they talked were always awkward and the segments always felt like filler more than anything.

Reading comments on various sites and it seems like it's almost 10-1 in the "bad move, I'm done Discovery" to "Good, never liked 'em." It seems viewership is down, but when you only show 8 episodes, don't promote it and move the show around the schedule like Scrubs what do they expect? If it needed retooling, then retool away. Adam & Jamie were bungee jumping bobbing for apples for fucks sake. How is that science? I still maintain they should have never gone with an A & B group in the first place. The show was at it's best when they mixed the teams up depending on the myth and build.

Also reading around I forgot about Discovery dumping Bear Grylls a two years ago. Also, I had no idea any of the behind the scenes drama with Dual Survival. Sounds like Discovery is to blame for fucking that show up as well. Discovery is on a roll.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 08-23-14 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-23-14, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely has a 'cost cutting' vibe to it. I have two daughters that love the show. I imagine interest will drop without Kari around. Really dumb move on Discovery's part.

I wonder if they have stuff already in the can that they're scrapping.
Originally Posted by TGM
beyond idiotic. not going to lie, a big reason I watch is to ogle Kari.
Adam and Jamie were the pure science end. The trio provided the charisma, the charm, the humor. They always looked like they were having so much damn fun.

The roots were easy because when the show started they had hundreds of myths to bust. The show changed because the myths were changing. Doubt I will watch much any more.

Of course these executives are just plain too dumb for words. On local news radio, the morning show team of Chet and Beth, who were always on the top of the charts for listeners, they fired Beth as a cost cutting move. Well listening to one guy just blather on all morning without the give and take and discussion was boring. There were times he sounded out of breath. Now they just fired poor Chet after 20 years because of declining ratings. HEY!! DUMB FUCKERS!! You ruined his show then blamed him.
Old 08-23-14, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

there are rumors out there that they want to keep the trio together and give them a show on discovery or the science channel.
Old 08-23-14, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

but when you only show 8 episodes, don't promote it and move the show around the schedule like Scrubs what do they expect?
Exactly. This season alone they started on Saturday then suddenly moved to Thursday. Previous years they'd switch it around. For as long as the show has been on, wouldn't surprise me if it had been on each night of the week at some point...
Old 08-23-14, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Broke the news to my two daughters, both had pretty much the same reaction. Why? One of them even said the show's gonna be boring now.

Mythbusters resonates with girls, and Kari helped fuel that. This move is going to put a dent in that half of the fanbase.
Old 08-23-14, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

I thought she was the only reason anyone watched anymore.
Old 08-24-14, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kari was the only reason I even realized the show was still on and not canceled.

It does scream of production cost cutting in order to keep the show's budget in line and not canceled. But seriously, this show should have died a long time ago.
Old 08-24-14, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The scheduling of this show has always been so haphazard that I've never bothered trying to catch new episodes. Now I just notice them when the DVR catches a new episodes, before that I mostly saw them when they were repeated. That wouldn't work today because Discovery has gone so far to shit that I don't even consider checking it when looking for something to watch.
Old 08-24-14, 08:48 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

the scheduling has sucked for years, not to mention that my DirecTV DVR chooses to record every episode even if set to First Run.
Old 08-24-14, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't known when new episodes were on for years. We watch whenever we are surfing and it is available.
Old 08-24-14, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Odd question ... Does anybody make a point of watching shows like this when they are new? I'll watch reruns and marathons all day long, but I don't think I have ever watched an episode for its first-run broadcast. This goes for shows such as Mythbusters, BrainGames, and Going Deep (a new personal favorite).
Old 08-24-14, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Of course. That's what a TiVo is for. Picks 'em up for me.

You're also 120 posts deep into this season's thread. Obviously some of us do.
Old 08-24-14, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I watch them as they air.
Old 08-25-14, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's too bad that they're being let go, but my interest in the show the last 3-4 years has been pretty minimal after being really into the show early on.

Side note...I did notice Kari's R2 dress on ebay for charity this past week.

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.