Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Shannara Chronicles -- Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-16, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
re: The Shannara Chronicles -- Series Thread

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised at the teased girl-on-girl action, as they've thrown everything else from the books out the window.
Old 02-04-16, 12:01 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Show is just plain awful now. I used to be a huge Terry Brooks fan and I don't think I'll make it through the entire season.
Old 02-04-16, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

being a Terry Brooks fan and not a fan of this show is alright. The show is only VERY loosely based on his stories. I would rather see his Magic Kingdom For Sale/Sold made into a movie/series.

But in fairness, the two leading girls in Shannara do make this much more watchable for me.
Old 02-04-16, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 824 Likes on 696 Posts

I don't think anyone could have expected a faithful adaptation when it's done by MTV. As light fantasy adventure, it's been a decent series so far with an appealing cast. I like the production design for the most part, the sets look better than I expected for a basic cable series.
Old 02-04-16, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

It's a shame cause I liked the show and its premise, but I guess I'm just too old to watch a bunch of teenagers and their hokey dialogue anymore. This would have been a great show to watch when I was in Highschool but these type of shows and most comic book shows are just too cheesy for my taste these days.
Old 02-04-16, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Like i said, the dialogue doesn't bother me. It's the wholesale changes from the book.

Spoiler:

* The Changeling never killed Eventine
* Wil was a healer in training in the book, not in the show
* Cephelo's role is completely overblown in the series
* The Sword of Shannara was never used in the book
* Slanter the gnome was in Wishsong, not Elfstones
* There was no psychic who could read thoughts
* The elimination of the fight between Allanon and Dagda Mor in Paranor from the series
* Eretria sleeps with Wil and tries to bang Amberle in the series, never in the books.
* There was no psycho in the Pykon with his kid who tortured Amberle. That was particularly atrocious.

And that's off the top of my head.

Last edited by Traxan; 02-05-16 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-04-16, 06:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Traxan
Like i said, the dialogue doesn't bother me. It's the wholesale changes from the book.

Spoiler:

* The Changeling never killed Eventine
* Wil was a healer in training in the book, not in the show
* Cephelo's role is completely overblown in the book
* The Sword of Shannara was never used in the book
* Slanter the gnome was in Wishsong, not Elfstones
* There was no psychic who could read thoughts
* The elimination of the fight between Allanon and Dagda Mor in Paranor from the series
* Eretria sleeps with Wil and tries to bang Amberle in the series, never in the books.

And that's off the top of my head.
Thanks for reminding me of that, especially since it's been well over a decade since I've read the books. I couldn't exactly place what I found "off" about the show- most likely because it resembles so little of the original story.

It's too bad, because Elfstones is probably Brooks' best Shannara story.
Old 02-07-16, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Is this in trouble? No episode is showing in my guide for 2/16 and 10 episode series are usually run straight through. Seems a bit early to preempt this for 1998 reruns.
Old 02-07-16, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,038 Likes on 856 Posts

I'm still watching but not a lot happened in that last episode. Fortunately it's been so long since I read the books that I don't notice any changes.
Old 02-07-16, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by randian
Is this in trouble? No episode is showing in my guide for 2/16 and 10 episode series are usually run straight through. Seems a bit early to preempt this for 1998 reruns.
It's doing well enough that they'll air the whole Season. I don't know if it's a problem with your guide, or maybe they have a reason to preempt it?
Old 02-07-16, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As I said previously, this show will almost certainly be renewed. MTV's guide data is all over the place, constantly changing at the last minute. It has been that way for years.
Old 02-07-16, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,683 Likes on 2,650 Posts

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...gs-feb-2-2016/

The last new episode that aired got slightly under 1M viewers and 0.4 in the demos.

That's low for most basic cable networks, but I don't know what MTV is considering good. But, those numbers are significantly higher than MTV's last 2 original shows Finding Carter and Eye Candy, which are both cancelled.
Old 02-07-16, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, it practically equaled their "hit" show Teen Wolf, and in the 10:00 slot, which conventional wisdom says contains a smaller pool of available viewers.

On one hand these numbers aren't very impressive and could easily fall in a potential 2nd Season. On the other, it's very rare to equal their "star" TW and a lot will likely depend on what else they have going. Theoretically they could do better, realistically this might be worth keeping for at least another 10 eps. How it performs on other platforms and in other countries might be a big factor too.
Old 02-07-16, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What would season 2 entail? Wishsong?
Old 02-07-16, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,038 Likes on 856 Posts

Their costs have to be high.
Old 02-07-16, 09:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's been ok so far. I'm still enjoying it but I shake my head at many of the changes from the books. I know they're different mediums but a true adaptation, ala LOTR, with minimal story changes, would've of been great. But I digress. All I'll say is if there's no Stee Jans and the Free Corps, then I'm out.
Old 02-07-16, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hate to break it to you but there is no IMDB entry for Stee Jans.

And the actor playing Hebel is 37 years old. Hebel was supposed to be in his 70s.
Old 02-08-16, 06:54 AM
Banned

I still don't understand how 10k+ years into the future an intact, working playground swing set is still left standing. Makes no sense.
Old 02-08-16, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
I still don't understand how 10k+ years into the future an intact, working playground swing set is still left standing. Makes no sense.
Technically that was a dream sequence so it doesn't count. But realistically yes, the relics shown wouldn't still be around so far into the future.
Old 02-08-16, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure its supposed to be 10K + years into the future? I was thinking more on the order of hundreds of years instead of thousands and certainly not 10 thousand.

That being said, there does appear to be far to many relics that are easily identifiable. The ships and steel girders of all of those building would have been harvested much earlier to be used by any succeeding civilization that occurred.
Old 02-10-16, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pelenor
All I'll say is if there's no Stee Jans and the Free Corps, then I'm out.
From Terry Brooks' site:

Tony writes: Why was Stee Jans left out of the TV show? He was such a critical character? And in the history on the TV show, is there no Leah, Culhaven or Callahorn?

Terry Brooks replies: Time and space constraints required that some things be cut. We talked about Stee Jans early on. He is not essential to the Elfstones story, but he may well show up in the series down the road. As for why there isn’t any Leah, Culhaven or Callahorn, none were esssential. There is a finite amount of money available to spend, so you pick and choose accordingly. Those other cities were not crucial to the telling of the story, so they got cut to allow for other things.

----------

This whole segment is real good.

http://terrybrooks.net/2016/02/tv-sh...-terry-posted/

Last edited by Traxan; 02-10-16 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-10-16, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,779 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by MScottM
Are you sure its supposed to be 10K + years into the future? I was thinking more on the order of hundreds of years instead of thousands and certainly not 10 thousand.

That being said, there does appear to be far to many relics that are easily identifiable. The ships and steel girders of all of those building would have been harvested much earlier to be used by any succeeding civilization that occurred.
A while back History Channel had a program called Life After People that showed how various man-made structures would deteriorate if they were no longer maintained. Most buildings and structures would be gone in two centuries.

Presumably, in ten thousand years almost everything recognizable would have deteriorated, corroded, and been reclaimed by nature. The only remnants of human civilization left by that time would be Mount Rushmore, the Confederate Memorial, and Stonehenge.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 02-10-16 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-11-16, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The show lost me last night with those idiotic Elf ear hunters, the whole high school plot and complete screwing of the Allanon/Evantine storyline. I'm done.
Old 02-11-16, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MScottM

This past episode makes it look like the Age of Man occurred about five years ago. Two of the characters get trapped in an abandoned high school prom stage.
Old 02-13-16, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Dragonriders of Pern?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.