Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Flash (CW) -- Spinoff of Arrow -- Coming this Fall

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-13, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: CW’s ‘The Flash’ To Do Stand-Alone Pilot Instead Of ‘Arrow’ Backdoor Pilot Episod

Batman (1989) set up this standard where you would have "comic book/superhero/comic strip/cartoon" live -action movies starring big-name celebrities hamming it up as much as they can as the main priority, with plot, character, motivation (you know, all that "boring" storytelling stuff) as an afterthought. Schumacher took that ball and ran with it for all he was worth, but he wasn't the only one.

It wasn't until the Marvel and Nolan movies that they finally started turning this around. Blade in particular is where it really started.
Old 12-13-13, 07:05 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts
Re: CW’s ‘The Flash’ To Do Stand-Alone Pilot Instead Of ‘Arrow’ Backdoor Pilot Episod

Warning: Spoilers for the mid-season finale of "Arrow":

Last night was Grant Gustin's second episode of "Arrow" as DC comic favorite Barry Allen. At the conclusion of the episode, we saw the incident that not only gave Barry his powers (in the comics at least) but will also likely lead us into the proposed spin-off of "The Flash" some time next year. Speaking with CBR, Gustin talked about what he's excited about doing in the upcoming pilot saying:

"I'm mostly looking forward to getting the pilot script and seeing how Barry's going to handle this happening to him. He's not just excited. It's scary. That's what I loved about the character in the audition process -- it's not just he loves superheroes, and he's a fanboy, and all of a sudden he's like, "I'm going to be one, I'm really stoked about it." It's kind of like, "This is terrifying. This is really happening to me." I'm really excited to play more of that."

The pilot is expected to go into production some time next year with a script from "Arrow" co-creators Greg Berlanti and Andrew Kreisberg and DC Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns. Kreisberg and Johns also talked about the upcoming spin-off, noting the difference between the two shows.

"We'll want to keep 'Arrow' as distinctive as possible and "Flash" as distinctive as possible," Kreisberg said, "Part of the fun will be how those two things play out in both shows, if we get that opportunity."

Johns added, "But there are story reasons that Flash feels different and that he's taking on different things in his series."

The new season of "Arrow" has introduced a number of classic DC characters into the mix, will "The Flash" take a similar route? Kreiseberg thinks it will, and will likely try and use more 'fantastical characters.'

"In the same way that "Arrow" was conducive to bringing on characters like Deadshot and the Huntress and some of the more grounded people, hopefully with "The Flash" there's a way to bring on some of the more fantastical characters, that will probably still go through the grounding lens with which we view everything. But we could tackle some of the bigger villains, and possibly heroes. There's a hint of a major character in the pilot."

"But it's always important to remember -- like with "Arrow," everybody wants Batman to come on and whatnot, but Arrow has to be the coolest person on "Arrow." The same thing with "The Flash" -- Barry has to be the coolest person. If we're lucky enough to get to do more past the pilot, it'll really be about making sure that the audience loves The Flash, and Barry Allen, and Grant Gustin, as much as we do."

"Arrow" pilot director David Nutter will helm the upcoming pilot for "The Flash."

Here's a new Grant Gustin interview video that The CW released today as well:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1FFS0sWUn4g?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-13-13, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had my doubts but he made for a great character in Barry Allen. Young, eager, whip-smart, self-effacing, but likeable. And even though his origin has occurred it happened in a context completely removed from the Arrow storylines, so he can stand alone.
Old 12-14-13, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I had my doubts but he made for a great character in Barry Allen. Young, eager, whip-smart, self-effacing, but likeable. And even though his origin has occurred it happened in a context completely removed from the Arrow storylines, so he can stand alone.
He does look a bit young for his supposed position. I wish they had him given him blond highlights or something, Barry Allen had been a blond for decades.

I did like the way he was portrayed in the Arrow episodes. He's a smart guy that also happens to be friendly and a tad awkward.
Old 12-14-13, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ehh.. hair color is the last thing I worry about when it comes to translating these characters to screen. As long as they capture the essence of Barry Allen I couldn't care less if he was BALD, Jerry!
Old 01-21-14, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Variety
CW's 'Flash' Adds Jesse L. Martin
1:00 PM PST 1/21/2014 by Lesley Goldberg

He'll play Detective West, a surrogate father to Grant Gustin's Barry Allen in the "Arrow" spinoff pilot from Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg and Geoff Johns.

The network has enlisted Law & Order alum Jesse L. Martin to co-star in the Arrow spinoff built around speedster The Flash, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Grant Gustin stars as Barry Allen/The Flash in the pilot, which will be an origin story similar to what producers did with Stephen Amell starrer Arrow. Barry, who appeared in Arrow's two-part winter finale, is described as a Central City assistant police forensic investigator who arrives in Starling City to look into a series of unexplained robberies that may have a connection to a tragedy in his past.

Martin -- who played Det. Ed Green for nearly 200 episodes on the Dick Wolf procedural -- will portray Det. West, an honest, blue-collar cop who is a surrogate father to Barry. A soulful, funny and caring father to Iris -- Barry's potential love interest -- West came up through the foster care system and took Barry in after his mother's slaying and father's imprisonment. He believes in Barry and supports his efforts to prove his father's innocence.

The Flash project, from Warner Bros. Television, started as a backdoor pilot, with the third episode slated to air in the back half of Arrow's second season. The CW now will film Flash as a standalone pilot in a bid to launch "with a bang like we launched Arrow," CW president Mark Pedowitz told reporters last week at the TCA winter press tour.

Arrow co-creators Greg Berlanti and Andrew Kreisberg as well as director David Nutter are behind the potential spinoff. Berlanti, Kreisberg and DC Entertainment's Geoff Johns -- a writer-consultant on Arrow -- will pen the script for Warner Bros. Television. Nutter -- who helmed the Arrow pilot -- will also direct.

Martin's TV credits include an arc on the second and final season of Smash and The Philanthropist, Broadway's Rent and its subsequent feature-film adaptation. He next stars as Marvin Gaye in the upcoming biopic Sexual Healing. He's repped by ICM, McGowan Management and Kraditor & Haber.
Old 01-21-14, 05:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Detective West = Wally West?

It doesn't sound like Wally's character at all, but the name dropping of West would have to be a pretty big coincidence.
Old 01-21-14, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Could be Wally's dad (rebooted). Or maybe an uncle?
Old 01-21-14, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
Detective West = Wally West?

It doesn't sound like Wally's character at all, but the name dropping of West would have to be a pretty big coincidence.
Wally is Iris West's nephew so he would be the grand uncle.
Old 01-22-14, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When does this show premiere?
Old 01-22-14, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by riley_dude
When does this show premiere?
They are producing a Pilot for next season (Fall). The CW will announce in May if it will get picked up to series or not. Most likely it will.
Old 01-24-14, 08:47 PM
Banned

Two more actors added to The Flash

Two more actors have been added to "The Flash" pilot in development at The CW, according to Deadline: Rick Cosnett as Detective Eddie Thawne, and Danielle Panabaker as Caitlin Snow.

Both of those character names have significance to fans of the DC Comics source material. "Eddie Thawne" appears to be the show's take on "Eobard Thawne," Barry Allen's archrival Professor Zoom. "Caitlin Snow" is the latest version of DC villain Killer Frost, who debuted in the "Killer Frost" one-shot as part of Sept. 2013's "Villains Month."

Deadline describes Eddie Thawne as, "a recent transfer to the Central City Police Department, whose past is a mystery and who harbors a dark secret;" and Caitlin Snow as, "a highly intelligent bioengineering expert who lost her fiancé during an explosion at S.T.A.R. Labs."

"We're using a lot of mythology, a lot of characters from the comics in the development of the 'Flash' show," DC Entertainment chief creative officer and former "Flash" comic book writer Geoff Johns said in December. "I don't want to get too specific yet, but you'll see a lot of characters, a lot of elements from that. It's very much 'The Flash.'"

Cosnett has recently been seen on another CW program, "The Vampire Diaries," as Dr. Wes Maxfield. Panabaker has appeared on "Necessary Roughness" and "Bones." The two join Grant Gustin, who debuted in the title role of Barry Allen/The Flash in two episodes of "Arrow" last month, and Jesse L. Martin, announced earlier this week as playing "Detective West."

"The Flash" pilot, in contention for a spot next season on The CW, was written by Johns and "Arrow" executive producer Greg Berlanti and Andrew Kreisberg. David Nutter, known for an impressive track record with successful pilots (including "Arrow"), will direct.
Professor Zoom (aka Reverse Flash) was hinted at in a conversation Barry had with Felicity, but now we have confirmation he will be in the show.

I also didn't know Geoff Johns was writing the pilot, but this article says that he is. That good news. Johns' work on Flash in the comics was awesome.
Old 01-24-14, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Sounds like they are doing this right. Sweet.
Old 01-24-14, 09:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deftones
Sounds like they are doing this right. Sweet.
Now if only they could get the movie people on the ball...

Its pretty funny (in a sad way) that a third rate character like Green Arrow is going better than Superman is.
Old 01-25-14, 12:52 AM

to Panabaker
Old 01-25-14, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by taffer
Now if only they could get the movie people on the ball...

Its pretty funny (in a sad way) that a third rate character like Green Arrow is going better than Superman is.
Even more sad we're in the age of CG, and still forced to defer to non-effects heroes like GA on TV. Probably even sadder that there's this utterly ridiculous philosophy of late that this type of stuff has to be on the big screen - or even works on the big screen period.

These are from comic books, hundreds of issues, tons of character development and continuity. They actually don't work on feature film nearly the way they should on episodic TV. Before CG, and now, affordable CG for a TV budget, okay, maybe. Now? If you wanna do the big pilot/origin as a feature, awesome. Continuing them as franchises, unless you do the Marvel thing where everything ties together and we're getting 2-3 movies a year in the same universe/continuity, just isn't the way it should be. These stories and characters have a wealth, an abundance even, of stories and characters that one movie every three years just makes wasteful uses of.

~×~ for the Trek franchise. I mourn for all the awesome stories that might come out of a tapestry so rich.
Old 01-25-14, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Coladar1
Even more sad we're in the age of CG, and still forced to defer to non-effects heroes like GA on TV. Probably even sadder that there's this utterly ridiculous philosophy of late that this type of stuff has to be on the big screen - or even works on the big screen period.

These are from comic books, hundreds of issues, tons of character development and continuity. They actually don't work on feature film nearly the way they should on episodic TV. Before CG, and now, affordable CG for a TV budget, okay, maybe. Now? If you wanna do the big pilot/origin as a feature, awesome. Continuing them as franchises, unless you do the Marvel thing where everything ties together and we're getting 2-3 movies a year in the same universe/continuity, just isn't the way it should be. These stories and characters have a wealth, an abundance even, of stories and characters that one movie every three years just makes wasteful uses of.

~×~ for the Trek franchise. I mourn for all the awesome stories that might come out of a tapestry so rich.
I don't think they work on film nearly as well because Hollywood is catering to the teen and foreign markets when they make a blockbuster. The animated DC movies have turned out quite well at times and they never run much longer than 75 minutes. The animated ones are more aimed at an adult, American audience than the typical Hollywood blockbuster. The animated Wonder Woman movie should have been the template for her live-action project.
Old 02-08-14, 11:13 AM
Banned

Flash's suit looks pretty good. It definitely puts DOFP's Quicksilver to shame.
Old 02-08-14, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Wouldn't mind seeing The Flash Omnibus Vol. 1 .
Old 02-08-14, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We'll have to see how the suit looks in reality. I'm not overly fond of the design, Flash's suit is so iconic that even DC barely tweaked it for the New 52. They should drop the visor look.

They have also cast Iris West, Barry's destined wife. It appears they will be changing Wally West's ethnicity for the show.
Old 02-08-14, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the look of the suit, but it looks a little too much like a motion capture suit. Actually, it really reminds me of what a live action Impulse suit might resemble.
Old 02-09-14, 01:18 AM

I'm surprised they're even giving him a suit that elaborate.
Old 02-09-14, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I'm going to bet this will take over the Wednesday at 9pm timeslot next season.

Arrow and Flash Wednesdays on The CW is pretty much a lock to be a hit. (for their audience at least)
Old 02-09-14, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
I'm surprised they're even giving him a suit that elaborate.
They kind of hinted in the Arrow episodes that Barry is a big fan of comics. This can't be Smallville, where the hero ran around for a decade in a flannel shirt.
Old 02-09-14, 03:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
We'll have to see how the suit looks in reality. I'm not overly fond of the design, Flash's suit is so iconic that even DC barely tweaked it for the New 52. They should drop the visor look.

They have also cast Iris West, Barry's destined wife. It appears they will be changing Wally West's ethnicity for the show.
It actually does look like a New 52 design. Jim Lee added a lot of unnecessary lines to everyone's suit, and CW's suit has a lot of unnecessary yellow lines too...

The visor was likely taken from Jay Garrick's New 52 suit in the Earth 2 comic.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.