Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Flash (CW) -- Spinoff of Arrow -- Coming this Fall

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-14, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts
Re: The Flash (CW) -- Spinoff of Arrow -- Coming this Fall

The upcoming "The Flash" series has scored a casting coup, nabbing beloved character actor William Sadler for the role of ruthless CEO Simon Stagg. Sadler first appears in the show's second episode.

In the comics, he sends his daughter's fiancé to Egypt and leaves him for dead, only for the latter's exposure to an artifact to transform into Metamorpho.
Old 07-14-14, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts

Wow, that is a good 'get.' Don't know much about the Flash world but Sadler is awesome.
Old 07-14-14, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 745 Likes on 545 Posts

So I'm just going to either wait for the Outsiders or JL to show up.
Old 07-14-14, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,034 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
Vic Stone/Cyborg has already been confirmed to be in Batman v Superman. He is being played by Ray Fisher.

As to why they replaced Martian Manhunter with Cyborg in the New 52 Justice League, it's the same reason Amanda Waller is a skinny hot chick now instead of being an obese woman. The comics are basically being used to push the movies/TV shows. A hot chick looks better on movies/TV than an obese woman. Likewise, they want a minority on the Justice League, so they put in Cyborg. They could have just used John Stewart to replace Hal Jordan, but Hal isn't as replaceable as Martian Manhunter is.
Not to mention that Hal is (or at least was) John's baby and one of the few characters to keep pre-new-52 continuity, so they weren't replacing him. Otherwise because of the cartoon I could easily see them doing that instead (because other than the reason of race, of all the Teen Titans I wouldn't have considered Cyborg up for promotion).

Wait, Routhe as Ray Palmer? No Asian Atom, no sale...
Old 07-15-14, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The version of John Stewart in the animated TV show was really well-done, but he was a rather different character from the comics, a very tough-minded ex-Marine. Still, not using Hal worked out for them. Though given that Johns has spent the last 10+ years rebuilding Hal from scratch, I'm sure he'd rather keep him abound. I don't know, I just think that with MM, the JL feels odd .
Old 07-18-14, 01:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.newsarama.com/21611-wentw...key-rogue.html

Wentworth Miller has been cast as Captain Cold.
Old 07-18-14, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm wondering if this show will be more Smallville than Arrow.
Spoiler:
They seem to be replacing the meteor freaks with Star Lab explosion villains. The pilot even has Weather Wizard according to that article.
Old 07-18-14, 08:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kdogg
I'm wondering if this show will be more Smallville than Arrow.
Spoiler:
They seem to be replacing the meteor freaks with Star Lab explosion villains. The pilot even has Weather Wizard according to that article.
I very much doubt it. This is definitely going to be Flash, and not a show about Barry Allen who never wears the costume like Smallvile was.

Spoiler:
The pilot episode was leaked weeks ago. I watched it, and it was pretty good. Much better than Smallville ever was. And yes Weather Wizard was in it. There was also
Spoiler:
an animal cage where the animal had broken out it and and the name plate read Grodd. Very awesome Easter egg and I hope Gorilla Grodd does get an episode later.
Old 07-18-14, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Some pretty interesting DC Comics-related tv news has been spinning out of the Television Critics Association press tour today. TV Guide has a consise rundown of events:
  • “Episodes 8 of both shows, Arrow and Flash, are going to be a two-hour crossover event,” Kreisberg says.
  • “DC’s Geoff Johns says DC wants to keep its film and TV universes separate. Doesn’t want TV writers to try to fit shows into the movies”
  • Prison Break star Wentworth Miller to play Flash Villain Captain Cold.
  • Geoff Johns also says that The Flash tv series will be ”the most faithful DC Comics adaptation ever”

IGN followed up with Johns on the “separate universes” point, and he told them, “You’ll see a lot of DC universe characters [on The Flash and Arrow]. You won’t see Batman or Superman. We’re on production on Batman V Superman now. So you’ll see characters like The Atom or Firestorm, but no not Batman or Superman right now [on TV].”

But… longer term, just perhaps adding a little fuel to the rumor fire that DC may be leading up to an annual Justice League television mini-series event which could be announced San Diego this year, exec producer Greg Berlanti also adds: Also, the producers are aiming high up on the DC roster. “Between [Arrow and Flash], we’ll have half the Justice League on our two shows this year,”
Bleeding Cool
Old 07-19-14, 07:33 AM
Banned

So the movies and TV series are definitely separate. That means either Flash will not be in the Justice League movies (which would be very odd considering he's an iconic member) or they are going to pull a Quicksilver and have two Flashes. Maybe Wally will be the Flash in the movies or maybe not since the West family is already in the TV series.
Old 07-19-14, 09:11 AM

Received 4,678 Likes on 3,168 Posts

It would be 2 Flashes.
Old 07-19-14, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

Really dumb move but typical of shortsighted DC/Warner.
Old 07-19-14, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah cause people just couldn't wrap their heads around Tom Welling AND Brandon Routh being Superman at the same time. It's fine. In typical nerd fashion, overreact first and make that your final judgement without seeing an ounce of footage of either.

I think it's so they can have a more grounded (and possibly younger) Flash in the Arrow universe but still have a superhero Flash mixing it up with Batman & Superman in the movies. I see no reason not to take this route.
Old 07-19-14, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just think it's a lost opportunity, not that people "can't wrap their heads around" having two actors playing the same character.

Edit: Also, if you think my single sentence statement was an overreaction, clearly you haven't been on a comic book forum...

Last edited by TheMovieman; 07-19-14 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-19-14, 10:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I just think it's a lost opportunity, not that people "can't wrap their heads around" having two actors playing the same character.
This

I'm not in an uproar about it at all. It just is a missed opportunity not to have the movies and TV connected is all.

Also saying Flash on TV is more grounded is a laugh riot. There's nothing grounded at all about a man who can run faster than the speed of light. We also know he is getting his flashy rogues gallery on the show since both Weather Wizard and Captain Cold are announced.
Old 07-19-14, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm just saying I haven't seen an ounce of footage in regards to the direction they are going so it's absurd to make a judgment either way.

Whose to say tying the two together wouldn't limit the possibilities of one or the other?
Old 07-19-14, 11:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm just saying I haven't seen an ounce of footage in regards to the direction they are going so it's absurd to make a judgment either way.

Whose to say tying the two together wouldn't limit the possibilities of one or the other?
Not an ounce of footage? Haven't you seen any of the trailers? One trailer in particular was about 5 minutes long and give a good look at where it's going.

The pilot episode was also leaked weeks ago. I watched it, and there's nothing grounded about it. It's definitely in the superhero superpower genre.
Old 07-19-14, 11:47 AM
Premium Member

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

The pilot did feel like later Smallville-ish to me. (Around the time when Watchtower started coming into play)

I don't consider that a bad thing, though.
Old 07-19-14, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Watched the teaser and that's about it. I'll wait until it airs to see the pilot.
Old 07-19-14, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTEReally dumb move but typical of shortsighted DC/Warner.][QUOTE]

Even if they wanted to its probably pretty hard to have the two stars of two of your TV shows stopping production for a couple months in order to film a movie. I bet it comes down to logistics more than anything else.
Old 07-19-14, 12:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Watched the teaser and that's about it. I'll wait until it airs to see the pilot.
You do know that unless you are a Nielsen family then what you watch doesn't affect the ratings one bit, right? Watching a leaked TV pilot isn't the same as watching a leaked movie or playing a leaked video game. Many times "leaked" TV pilots on "leaked" on purpose by the studio to gain attention to it.
Old 07-19-14, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

Nerds and their "continuity"

Just enjoy the shows/movies for what they are, and leave it at that.
Old 07-19-14, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Nerds and their "continuity"

Just enjoy the shows/movies for what they are, and leave it at that.
It's got nothing to do with continuity, but they have an opportunity to at least utilize Flash in a JL movie, that's all. Also, is anyone here saying they won't "enjoy the shows/movies for what they are"? I'm not making a proclamation refusing to watch either...
Old 07-19-14, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by taffer
You do know that unless you are a Nielsen family then what you watch doesn't affect the ratings one bit, right? Watching a leaked TV pilot isn't the same as watching a leaked movie or playing a leaked video game. Many times "leaked" TV pilots on "leaked" on purpose by the studio to gain attention to it.
Has nothing to do with Nielsen. I'll wait until it's shown through the proper channels.
Old 07-20-14, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't know why they wouldn't want the same actor in both the TV show and the movies. Assuming the casting is good, the crossover would be excellent for the ratings of both. (Moreso the TV show than the movie.)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.