Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Returned (Les Revenants) -- quasi-zombie -- Series Thread -- Sundance Channel

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Returned (Les Revenants) -- quasi-zombie -- Series Thread -- Sundance Channel

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-13, 10:44 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

In an idyllic French mountain town, a seemingly random collection of people find themselves in a state of confusion as they attempt to return to their homes. What they do not yet know is that they have been dead for several years, and no one is expecting them back. As they struggle to reintegrate with their families and past lovers, buried secrets emerge and new mysteries develop as they grapple with a miraculous and sinister new reality. But it seems they are not the only ones to have returned from the dead. Their arrival coincides with a series of gruesome murders which bear a chilling resemblance to the work of a serial killer from the past.

8-episode series (originally aired in France). First episode aired on The Sundance Channel Halloween night. It's been receiving some decent reviews (a couple here & here). It was already renewed for season 2.
Old 11-01-13, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: The Returned -- (quasi-zombie) Series Thread -- Sundance Channel

i'm in, looks good.
Old 11-02-13, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loved the first episode. Looking forward to the next one.
Old 11-02-13, 09:41 AM

Agreed. I watched this last night and was pleasantly surprised. Interesting premise for sure and like how the episode came full circle with the reveal at the end of the bus. Also, nice little setup with the twin sisters.

Definitely curious to see where this goes...
Old 11-03-13, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Really creepy and understated, and that ending made me sit up and take notice. Looking forward to more. I wish it had hit HD OnDemand sooner. Watching it in SD kinda sucked.
Old 11-07-13, 11:39 PM

2nd episode aired tonight. I think I liked it more than the pilot. Liked the introduction of the additional characters and how they're juggling their individual storylines. I'm patiently waiting for Victor to do something. I doubt he'll just sit around and smile all the time.
Old 11-08-13, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

I enjoyed this one as well. I like how this show creeps me out without resorting to cheap tactics. The detective has a conflict of interest: does he tell Adele that he's seen her dead fiancee or does he hid it from her? There are a ton of storylines on this show that I find pretty interesting too.
Old 12-03-13, 04:27 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts

Just started watching it - creepy and also very good.
Old 12-03-13, 05:05 PM

Yeah, this has surpassed my expectations. Episode 5 aired last week and there hasn't been a dud yet. Very creepy/moody show.
Old 12-03-13, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 947 Likes on 721 Posts

They marathoned it last weekend, and will be doing it again this weekend for anyone (like me) who wasn't able to catch it from the beginning.

Just heard it will be released on Blu-Ray in January, which would be nice since Sundance Channel is SD. Unfortunately, I'm already hooked (after just the Camille episode), so I'll be watching the rest of it in SD. At least the first go-around (this already looks like a show with major re-watch potential)
Old 12-04-13, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Was anyone else aware that this is a remake of a 2004 French film called They Came Back (which also was originally titled Les Revenants)? Has anyone seen it?

I've got it on my Netflix queue now, but I'll wait until I've seen all the episodes of The Returned. Obviously, at 102 minutes it's not as detailed as The Returned, but I don't feel like there's a wasted minute yet in this newer version (and I'm only 2 eps in)
Old 12-04-13, 02:38 PM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Saw this first ep. free on iTunes, and WOW--grabbed me right from the beginning. Very original, great acting, so well done. Watched the marathon & am all caught up. Highly recommended.
Old 12-05-13, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really like the casting on the twin sisters. Lena does look like a slightly older Camille. I checked to see if they're sisters in real life, and they're not.
Old 12-05-13, 12:23 AM

The entire cast is great. Camille and Victor are the standouts, IMO.
Old 12-12-13, 07:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Started watching this and I am totally hooked 2 eps in, actually it was after the first, but really enjoyed the second ep more.
Old 12-15-13, 11:08 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts

Just finished it. Great Stuff.
Old 12-21-13, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this was rated at Metacritic as the top new show of 2013.

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/be...-shows-of-2013

Sundance is airing a marathon on Sunday, Dec. 22, 2013 starting at noon est. I'm looking forward to checking it out.
Old 12-23-13, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BDB
Just finished it. Great Stuff.
Old 12-23-13, 08:31 PM

I was really impressed by the entire show, each and every episode. I have no idea where they'll go from here. The characters, living and dead, continued to be intertwined each week in fascinating ways, without ever seeming too eye-rolling or inorganic. My only quibble, and a very minor one at that, was the few times each episode that the camera would slowly pan over a group of characters, all staring and in deep thought. Almost every TV show does that though, I just remember thinking that after the 3rd or 4th time it occurred in the last episode, that the American version of this show could be called "The Standing Dead". :P Highly recommended, and a marathon viewing of the entire season would be great.

EDIT: Can't wait to learn more about Victor, wonderful child actor, although his part called for a muted expression most times. Obviously, he is different than the rest..as he was present years before the rest began to show up. It'll be tough for the writers, but I have faith.
Old 12-25-13, 10:37 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Wow. Now that's the way to do a zombie show! I found it utterly engrossing, subtly deep and the little reveals added so much depth and interest to the show. So many times little details about the past turn out to be much different than we just accepted they were. It was superbly acted.

Only slight issue I had is that even at an hour and fifteen minutes per episode they still seemed to be slightly edited as a few times there were scenes in the "previously on" that were not shown previously. Seriously considering getting the blu-ray as I expect it would be rewarding on a rewatch because of the quality of writing and little twists they had continuously, I am sure I missed some things.

Sundance really needs to be in HD
Old 12-27-13, 02:56 AM

Looks like there's a similar show coming in March to ABC called Resurrection
Old 12-30-13, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Finished watching this. I enjoyed it. I love the setting and feel of the show.
Very interesting developments with some fine performances. One of the reasons I enjoy foreign productions is that they don't feel the need to make everything overly-dramatic and monumental.

I have no idea where the show goes now. We've spent 8 episodes peeling a very interesting onion, I hope we get more concrete answers next season.
Old 12-30-13, 09:48 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by CrashNBurn69
Looks like there's a similar show coming in March to ABC called Resurrection
Huh...actually looks decent. Almost definitely inspired by the Returned. Will check it out.
Old 12-30-13, 10:21 PM

I'll give Resurrection a try because that link says Kurtwood Smith is in it (Clarence J. Boddicker in Robocop , Red Forman from That 70s Show)
Old 12-30-13, 10:23 PM

I have a question about The Returned. We receive the Sundance Channel through Cox cable. I stopped watching it because of the messages they display on the screen during a program to tell you about other shows that will be airing. Have they been doing that during the broadcasts of The Returned ? I just checked the On Demand section, and The Returned is not available there so I guess DVR-ing it and putting up with the messages would be the only way to get to see it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.