Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Marvel / Netflix projects discussion thread - news, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Marvel / Netflix projects discussion thread - news, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-13, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
re: Marvel Preps 60-Episode Package Of Four Series & A Mini-series For Netflix

Interesting but I have to admit I'm less excited than I would've been 5 years ago for some reason. Much as i love the Marvel Universe I'm startig to feel a wee bit oversaturated... Maybe it's just me. The movies are starting to feel formulaic. SHIELD has been OK so far but really lacking that Marvel heroes sensibility, just another cop/X-Files type show.

But I love old school Power Man and Iron Fist so will check it out, although expecting a very "Bendis" version of characters.
Old 11-07-13, 02:22 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

5yrs ago these shows couldn't be made. Did Netflix streaming even exist 5yrs ago? These shows would probably have ended up somewhere like HBO and would have been very different.

This is a very interesting experiment and I'm looking forward to it. It would be cool if one of the shows was animated, rotorscoped or something, but we know that's too edgy for American audiences.
Old 11-07-13, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
5yrs ago these shows couldn't be made. Did Netflix streaming even exist 5yrs ago? These shows would probably have ended up somewhere like HBO and would have been very different.

This is a very interesting experiment and I'm looking forward to it. It would be cool if one of the shows was animated, rotorscoped or something, but we know that's too edgy for American audiences.
Yeah, Netflix Streaming started in early '07.
Old 11-07-13, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
But I love old school Power Man and Iron Fist so will check it out, although expecting a very "Bendis" version of characters.
I also love the classic Power Man and Iron Fist comics, though I don't think that will fly for Hollywood in 2013. Both Luke Cage and Iron Fist show up on the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, and the characters are barely recognizable.
Old 11-07-13, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Wish it had been Dr Strange instead of Jessica Jones. I had to look her up to see who it was.
Old 11-07-13, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

they aren't doing Dr. Strange on tv because they are likely going to do a movie with him.
Old 11-07-13, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is Jessica Drew owned by Sony like Spider man?
Old 11-07-13, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
That sounds awesome. Like the idea of planning shows that will crossover as well. Very smart and cool.
Agreed

DC/ TIME WARNER....stick a fork in your self. You're DONE when it comes to the MOVIE and TV MEDIA.

Bitches...
Old 11-07-13, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Wish it had been Dr Strange instead of Jessica Jones. I had to look her up to see who it was.
Dr Strange is getting his own movie.
Old 11-07-13, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Agreed
DC/ TIME WARNER....stick a fork in your self. You're DONE when it comes to the MOVIE and TV MEDIA.

Bitches...
Arrow is a better show at the moment than any television program associated with Marvel since the 1970's Incredible Hulk. It's pretty telling that these programs ended up on a venue like Netflix.
Old 11-07-13, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Is Jessica Drew owned by Sony like Spider man?
obviously not, since they are doing something with it.
Old 11-07-13, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Arrow is a better show at the moment than any television program associated with Marvel since the 1970's Incredible Hulk. It's pretty telling that these programs ended up on a venue like Netflix.
what television shows are associated with marvel other than 2 animated series?

i get what you are saying, but Marvel hasn't had a live action show in a while. i'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt due to their recent movie success and direction as well as Netflix's position in the industry.
Old 11-07-13, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
obviously not, since they are doing something with it.
Nice snarkiness, but reading is your friend. Jessica Jones is being used, NOT Jessica Drew, Spider Woman.
Old 11-07-13, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Which leads to why is Jessica Jones getting her own show and not "Luke Cage and his baby mama variety hour"
Old 11-07-13, 07:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Agreed

Bitches...
Yeah, I am a huge DC fanboy. Greater than 90% of my comic book collection is DC. I wish DC's movie and TV divisions could be even half as good as Marvel's has been lately.

I am really excited for the Daredevil series in particular since he is the Marvel character most similar to Batman. How gritty does NetFlix allow? Hopefully it won't be some watered down family hour shit like Agents of SHIELD. I want a dark gritty Daredevil series similar to what Frank Miller did with the character. A TV adaptation of the Born Again storyarc would give me a boner.

I really wish we could get a dark gritty Punisher MAX series too.

Also, I have never really paid any attention to these NetFlix exclusive series before now, but do these get DVD or Blu-ray releases? I hate streaming shit. Call me an old fart, but I have to have my physical media.

I watched the first five or six episodes of Arrow and gave up on it. I absolutely hated Smallville. It was a bunch of teen soap opera crap. What I saw of Arrow was exactly the same minus the teens.
Old 11-07-13, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by dalbowski
^Which leads to why is Jessica Jones getting her own show and not "Luke Cage and his baby mama variety hour"
Much like the comics, we'll probably see them lead up to how they got to that point. Plus, JJ was more interesting when she was a hard-drinkin', swearin', lettin' Luke Cage in the backdoor private eye.
Old 11-08-13, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

All it's telling me is Netflix has a better chance at making a quality Marvel show than ABC. Now I'd love to see comics or even anime based characters show up on HBO or one of the other premium channels.
Old 11-08-13, 10:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
Now I'd love to see comics or even anime based characters show up on HBO or one of the other premium channels.
I have always wanted a series based on Punisher MAX on premium cable.
Old 11-08-13, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Show some damn restraint. I like this stuff. But they're overloading it. There was a point when "Die Hard in a..." was really cool. And then after Sudden Death, they all sucked.
I agree. I fear that they're going to over-saturating the Marvel-U with a bunch of lackluster television material between the tentpole films.

The problem with this route is that the characters are split up between film and television, the A-list heroes are tied to actors and can't make appearances, etc.

And now, for every "big" movie, you'll have fifteen or so episodes of a cheap-looking television series filled with c- and d-list characters that has very little impact on the films.
Old 11-08-13, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Honestly, I don't think Marvel or Netflix is going to get A-list talent to sign on to these new series. Look at S.H.I.E.L.D as an example. They are on a high profile timeslot, major network, but the cast is mostly C to D list talent. Ming-Na Wen is probably the best known actor on that show to the mainstream public & she's not even the lead.
Old 11-08-13, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Honestly, I don't think Marvel or Netflix is going to get A-list talent to sign on to these new series. Look at S.H.I.E.L.D as an example. They are on a high profile timeslot, major network, but the cast is mostly C to D list talent. Ming-Na Wen is probably the best known actor on that show to the mainstream public & she's not even the lead.
Yeah but ABC also doesn't have a show top lined by Kevin Spacey.
Old 11-08-13, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Well Arrested Development on Netflix has some regular movie folks (Jason Batemen etc) and the previously mentioned house of cards. The Movie Stars are willing to jump on a 2-3 month filming series if they like the material (Like Sean Bean etc)
Old 11-08-13, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They may get a name or two, but it's not necessary for them to get too much name talent attached. These are established characters. The comparison to Agents on ABC is not apt.
Old 11-08-13, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm pretty sure these will have a better budget than anything from Syfy or the CW. There's plenty of acting talent on original Netflix shows also, at least other than Hemlock Grove which was a major disappointment. Oh yeah, and about AoS I have no idea how anyone involved believed that cast and premise could ever be a hit. It needed comic book characters and not necessarily superheroes. But, at least some people that we actually know that work for Shield.

Last edited by actionjackson29; 11-08-13 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-09-13, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by taffer
I have always wanted a series based on Punisher MAX on premium cable.
Amen brother! The Punisher seems ripe for a series on HBO, Cinemax, or Showtime. Guess nobody wants to do one because they must not think Punisher has a fan base.

As for these new shows, honestly I think they are probably going to stink. It's easy to see why they went with Netflix, if the first series was cancelled out of the gate they would be screwed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.