Reload this Page >

SNL 10/12/13 H: Bruce Willis MG: Katy Perry

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-12-13, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=n41806" frameborder="0"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.nbc.com/assets/video/widget/widget.html?vid=n41721" width="560" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Willis' first hosting gig since 1989. I can see him either being really stiff or unfunny, or really letting loose and being great. He's ripe for self-parody and it seems they touched on that a little in the 2nd promo above.
Old 10-12-13, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: SNL 10/12/13 H: Bruce Willis MG: Katy Perry

This is going to be fucking awful.
Old 10-12-13, 08:27 PM

Received 770 Likes on 503 Posts

Thanks for starting the thread CharlieK. I've been traveling.
Old 10-12-13, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Thanks for starting the thread CharlieK. I've been traveling.
Always happy to help.

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
This is going to be fucking awful.
I think you may be right, but I always hope for the best.
Old 10-12-13, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Drinking game
One shot for every Willis smirk
One beer for every deadpan line read without reaction
One pint of bleach if he sings during the monologue. Fucking Bruno.
Old 10-12-13, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

did the show just switch over to the season finale of weekend update for anyone else then switch to current season?
Old 10-13-13, 01:08 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In 20 years someone will ask Katy about her musical performance on SNL. Yikes.
Old 10-13-13, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

"What's a chun???!!!" hurr hurr hurr hurr hurr

Last edited by PatD; 10-14-13 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-13-13, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
In 20 years someone will ask Katy about her musical performance on SNL. Yikes.
I seriously doubt that. Nobody is going to ask her a thing in 20 years.
Old 10-13-13, 11:10 AM

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I wouldn't blame Katy Perry, it sounded like the volume was lowered on her vocals and she was getting overshadowed by the backing track or something...

Bruce Willis was predictably horrible. I can't believe he actually did pull out the harmonica and do Bruno as someone earlier thought would happen!

The more I see Cecily Strong do Weekend Update the more Tina Fey seems like a genius. She's not awful but she lacks that tongue in cheek delivery that Tina had.

Jay Pharoah has come a long way. I was hoping they ditched him 2 years ago but he has slowly come into his own. Maybe its finally time for Kenan to leave.

Lady Gaga Talk Show was probably the funniest bit but should've been better given all the material to work with. The makeover bit with the high school principal coming out with a square on her head was the only laugh out loud moment.
Old 10-13-13, 12:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesix
I wouldn't blame Katy Perry, it sounded like the volume was lowered on her vocals and she was getting overshadowed by the backing track or something...

Bruce Willis was predictably horrible. I can't believe he actually did pull out the harmonica and do Bruno as someone earlier thought would happen!

The more I see Cecily Strong do Weekend Update the more Tina Fey seems like a genius. She's not awful but she lacks that tongue in cheek delivery that Tina had.

Jay Pharoah has come a long way. I was hoping they ditched him 2 years ago but he has slowly come into his own. Maybe its finally time for Kenan to leave.

Lady Gaga Talk Show was probably the funniest bit but should've been better given all the material to work with. The makeover bit with the high school principal coming out with a square on her head was the only laugh out loud moment.
Yes because you can't have more than 1 black on the show at a time.
Old 10-13-13, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Or maybe because the guy is so 'mono' in everything he does. Every character he does has the same mannerisms, voice, gestures. I never thought he was funny. His Steve Harvey is not Steve Harvey. It's Kenan in a suit.
I will give him props for knowing his lines with his eyes closed on this last Weekend Update though.

Other than that, this episode sucked. Few and far between do I find SNL funny anymore.
Only thing I find enjoyable anymore is Weekend Update.
Old 10-13-13, 10:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Weakest episode of the season so far. I though a few of the bits were good, like "boy dance party" and the beer pong rules but most everything else was a dud. Bruce Willis wasn't great but I just blame the writers for this one.
Old 10-13-13, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really wish NBC wasn't sucking Lorne Michaels' dick. This show has needed a new showrunner and new writers for years now. The only way I see that happening anytime soon is if Michaels drops dead.

Bruce Willis, despite his asshole-ish traits, is always game for anything and the fact the writers couldn't do anything with his skills is just pathetic.
Old 10-14-13, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by SpanishTechno
Weakest episode of the season so far. I though a few of the bits were good, like "boy dance party" and the beer pong rules but most everything else was a dud. Bruce Willis wasn't great but I just blame the writers for this one.
It was the 3rd episode... so don't fear, there will be worse.
Old 10-14-13, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Willis wasn't great, but at least it looked like he rehearsed some and wasn't standing there (obviously, at least) reading from the cue cards like 99 percent of the other guest hosts. So while he still may be "greedy", I think he washed off the "lazy" comments about him.
Old 10-14-13, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

I personally still love Kenan. Yeah, he'll have no career after SNL and will is probably in the Tim Meadows realm of being there for too long but I still like him being there. Unlike the poster earlier I don't see just Kenan when he does say Steve Harvey, I still see a funny impression. Plus, he's a professional that can deliver his lines.
Old 10-15-13, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I seriously doubt that. Nobody is going to ask her a thing in 20 years.

Her last album broke Thrillers record for the most hit singles ever.

Who thought Pink would still be around (not a fan) after all these years?

I thought this show was ok and better than last weeks show with Miley Cyrus.
Old 10-16-13, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They get a black female host in November

Kerry Washington is set to host the Nov. 2 episode of Saturday Night Live (musical guest Eminem), NBC announced on Wednesday, Oct. 16 -- just days after cast member Kenan Thompson blamed the lack of show diversity on a lack of talented black female comediennes.

"It's just a tough part of the business," Thompson told TV Guide in a recent interview. "Like in auditions, they just never find ones that are ready."

This will be SNL's sixth consecutive season without a black female cast member, leaving a noticeable void where sketches about pop culture icons like the First Lady, Beyonce, Oprah, or even Scandal itself could take place. Thompson, 35, previously tackled black female roles like Maya Angelou and Jennifer Hudson, but has since stopped playing those characters.

"I don't know. We just haven't done them," he told TV Guide of how the show hasn't made up for this lack of representation. "That's what I'm saying. Maybe [Jay Pharaoh] will do it or something, but even he doesn't really want to do it."

Maya Rudolph, who is half black and half Jewish, previously portrayed a wide variety of characters, including Whitney Houston, Justin Guarini, and Beyonce. She left the show in 2007.

Pharaoh, who joined the cast in 2010, also recently opened up about the show's lack of a black female cast member.

"They need to pay attention," he said of the show's lack of diversity, suggesting Love Thy Neighbor actress Darmirra Brunson as a possible candidate. "Why do I think she should be on the show? Because she's black first of all, and she's really talented. She's amazing. …And I believe they need to follow up with it like they said they were going to do last year."
http://omg.yahoo.com/news/kerry-wash...us-weekly.html

Old 10-16-13, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Her last album broke Thrillers record for the most hit singles ever.

Who thought Pink would still be around (not a fan) after all these years?

I thought this show was ok and better than last weeks show with Miley Cyrus.
The main difference being Pink has some phenomenal vocal chords on her.
Old 10-17-13, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

WU is so much better with 2 anchors

Cecily Strong has filled some mighty big shoes over on Saturday Night Live's "Weekend Update" desk. Before her, Amy Poehler and Tina Fey — arguably two of SNL's finest female comedians — set a pretty high standard. So what does Poehler think of her successor?

"She's crushing it," the Parks and Recreation actress told TVGuide.com at the 100th episode celebration for her NBC comedy Wednesday. "She's so great. I sent her flowers on her first day and just wrote 'Strong, Strong,' because she's awesome. She's a huge talent."

It's a time of transition, Seth is getting ready to leave," Poehler says of her former co-anchor. "She's just starting. I remember the early days of it, and it's a hard thing to get into a groove of, but Seth is such a pro and so good at it, I'm sure he's making her feel really good. She's going to be great. She's so great already and she's just starting."

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Amy-Poeh...e-1072121.aspx
Old 10-17-13, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
The main difference being Pink has some phenomenal vocal chords on her.
Yeah, and from what I've seen on TV and online, puts on a better live show. You can't even put Pink and Perry in the same category.