Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hello Ladies -- New HBO Series -- Starring Stephen Merchant, Christine Woods

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-13, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Re: Hello Ladies -- New HBO Series -- Starring Stephen Merchant, Christine Woods

I have to admit....this loser is painfully funny to watch.
Old 10-07-13, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Hello Ladies -- New HBO Series -- Starring Stephen Merchant, Christine Woods

I thought last nights show was really funny.

Him running back to the limo and trying to talk to that girl again was really funny.

So was the naming of the three jazz musicians. 1) Miles Davis 2) Lance Armstrong 3) The Loneliest Monk
Old 10-08-13, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Love it so far.

This show makes me feel a little better about the Bored to Death cancellation.
Old 10-09-13, 08:02 AM

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Yeah, I thought the 2nd episode was better than the pilot. The main characters are still losers no doubt, but I found it more enjoyable overall. I basically cringed through most of the pilot whereas this episode was a little more genuine and believable. Hope this trend continues.

As mentioned above, his effort at a second chance with the girl in the limo was pretty funny.
Old 10-09-13, 08:28 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I also thought the second episode was better. I think having the dual storylines (Stuart and Jessica) works well, and I hope it becomes the standard format.
Old 10-14-13, 01:14 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

yes -this is fantastic. Tonight's was amazing. I love his little coding buddy.

and Mona Lisa - what's not to love?
Old 10-14-13, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Stunned how good this show is...
Old 10-14-13, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by thelwig14
Stunned how good this show is...
So painful to watch, but so funny.
Old 10-14-13, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really liking this show. It's like a cross between Maron & Entourage.
Old 10-14-13, 07:04 PM

I'm in agreement with you guys. Really liking the past couple episodes. Oh, and to the Glenn Frey song at the end.
Old 10-15-13, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a hard time watching this show. It is so ridiculously cringe-worthy. I can watch the most horrific horror movie without flinching, but I watch Hello Ladies and find myself covering my eyes because I just cannot stand to see what idiot thing our "hero" is going to do next.

It's pretty great.

I like that everyone on the show (save for the wheelchair guy) is their own distinct type of loser by their own design.

I do wonder why Smerch is so cheap though. He seems like a guy that is doing well financially, so outside of just being a penny pincher, I'm surprised he would be bothered by how much the wine cost in the past episode.
Old 10-16-13, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boredsilly

I do wonder why Smerch is so cheap though. He seems like a guy that is doing well financially, so outside of just being a penny pincher, I'm surprised he would be bothered by how much the wine cost in the past episode.
Well, he did drop $800 on random drinks in the pilot. That may have broke him.

As horrible as he was on the first date, I couldn't help but feel he was sort of in the right to be angry on the second date. I understand the whole point of the humor was for her to admit that she was texting her brother who had leukemia the whole time at the end and thus humiliate him, but she kinda comes off rude and insensitive if she's texting the entire time she's with someone else, when she could have just told him from the start "I'm having some family issues, please don't take it personally if I'm distracted tonight."
Old 10-17-13, 02:36 PM

Very funny show! She had texted him that she was having personal issues which was why she was delayed getting back to him, but he, completely in self absorbed character, never asked her what they were. If he had asked, he would have known why she was texting all night.
Old 10-20-13, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm really glad we got the scene with Kevis and Martin reading Stephen's life list. I paused the DVR to read the whole thing, and it's definitely David Brent tastic. It's silly, but it makes the show more enjoyable to me knowing that Stephen is decent deep down -- just socially broken. Makes him more sympathetic, than pathetic -- at least to me.
Old 10-21-13, 08:17 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I always feel like I need a massage after watching this show because I've been cringing so hard.
Old 10-21-13, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Latest episode was god damn hilarious
Old 10-21-13, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
I always feel like I need a massage after watching this show because I've been cringing so hard.
I had to fast forward through bits of the party. The tap dancing? I just could not take it!
Old 10-21-13, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Groucho
Old 10-21-13, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I had to fast forward through bits of the party. The tap dancing? I just could not take it!
I think I paused it twice during that sequence.

Yikes.
Old 10-22-13, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I just wanted to thank everybody for their recommendations of this show. The pickings are slim this fall, and I needed a new show to watch.

I gave up on Veep and Girls this past season, and I had never heard of Hello Ladies or the guy starring in it.

That being said, I rolled through all 4 episodes last night and fucking loved it. Laughed so hard during some of it.

I also really like Episodes with Matt LeBlanc on Showtime, but I don't even know if it's coming back.
Old 10-22-13, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

This show is unbearable. I literally need to take breaks while watching it because it gets so uncomfortable. That tap dance just kept on going, and the same with the toast. I think I paused the last episode at least 5 times just to recover.
Old 10-22-13, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The series seems to be gathering comedy steam as each show seems to be better than those it preceded. Was loving when he got cock-blocked in the nightclub from copping a feel. I'm just wondering how many more times he can repeat sticking his foot in it formula and have the show remain funny enough to survive.
Old 10-22-13, 03:26 PM

This is a very difficult comedy to watch, no doubt. This week's episode was pretty good. Felt bad at the end where his dream girl was 20-feet away in a bikini.
Old 10-22-13, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I'm really enjoying this show. I don't get the cringing part though. I always find myself laughing because I end up asking myself "How dumb are these people?" Except for the tap dancing scene. That did make me cringe because it went on forever.
Old 10-22-13, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I cringe and divert my eyes in horror more times watching this show than during any so-called "horror" movie of the last 10 years.

Love it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.