TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part II

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-13, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Re: Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part II

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
If your business is in dire enough straits that you can't float a loan for an emergency expense, I'm not sure that a surrendering a good sized chunk of your income is going to beneficial. It just comes off of credit card transactions, right? Cash and check payments wouldn't be affected. But if a significant amount of your income is from credit card transactions, it sounds like it's going to hurt.
You underestimate the magnitude and level of stupidity out there when comes to people and money and debt.
Old 11-01-13, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Flip cup is a little beyond my time, but I've played too many games of beer pong to count. I guess I don't see the appeal of that cup -- would you really do shots out of it (I'd rather have a cup that can hold more beer ), but it doesn't cost any different than a regular cup, so I guess I can see something in it.

Teepee guy needed help. And a lot of it. Glad he got it.

I'd try the cleaning product but if it doesn't make it past Whole Foods, I'll never see it.
Old 11-01-13, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

The tree t-pee guy was totally without guile. And my wife and I loved him.
Old 11-01-13, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was very happy for tree tee-pee guy.

Those 180 cups seemed ridiculous to me, but I am way past my college days.

The environmentally friendly cleaners seemed great, but sounded a bit pricey. I buy whats cheapest. I cant save the planet.
Old 11-01-13, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

I really don't see the point of those cups.

Doesn't everyone already know that you can measure out a shot in a red cup? Bottom line is 1 oz (shot), mid-line is 5 oz (wine glass), top line is 12 oz (beer can), and a full cup is 16 oz (pint)? I'm surprised nobody called him out on that.
Old 11-02-13, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Wish Paul Mitchell would have replaced Cuban instead of Robert. Hope last night isn't a sign that Robert will be in only a handful of episodes this year. He's my favorite shark. On the other hand, I wouldn't do a deal with Cuban if my life depended on it. Surprised so many people that come into the Tank want to.

Then again, I understand ABC's desire to have the most "entertaining" sharks in the line up.
Old 11-02-13, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Wish Paul Mitchell would have replaced Cuban instead of Robert. Hope last night isn't a sign that Robert will be in only a handful of episodes this year. He's my favorite shark. On the other hand, I wouldn't do a deal with Cuban if my life depended on it. Surprised so many people that come into the Tank want to.

Then again, I understand ABC's desire to have the most "entertaining" sharks in the line up.
Probably because Robert seldom does deals. And it's kind of the point of the show.

**insert montage video of Robert saying "I'm out" here**
Old 11-02-13, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really liked the addition of John Paul (technically the actual Paul Mitchell is dead), he seemed to try not to overstep his bounds, and he fit right in. There was definitely a grace period when Cuban first got on board, but JP seemed to get it immediately.

I have a feeling the two permanent sharks are Cuban (since he's the most famous one) and O'Leary (since he has the strongest personality) and the rest will rotate from here on. And I think that's a really good idea, because it helps keep the show fresh, and it's developing new personalities and new rivalries (looks like Lori and Barbara are back for a new round of hissy fits next week.)
Old 11-02-13, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sydonesia
I really liked the addition of John Paul (technically the actual Paul Mitchell is dead), he seemed to try not to overstep his bounds, and he fit right in. There was definitely a grace period when Cuban first got on board, but JP seemed to get it immediately.

I have a feeling the two permanent sharks are Cuban (since he's the most famous one) and O'Leary (since he has the strongest personality) and the rest will rotate from here on. And I think that's a really good idea, because it helps keep the show fresh, and it's developing new personalities and new rivalries (looks like Lori and Barbara are back for a new round of hissy fits next week.)
Damon has been a regular since the beginning as well, I think? I don't see him going anywhere. Agree about the other two, O'Leary is also on Dragons Den in Canada - he loves these shows and loves playing the villain.

There have been a lot of big deals these last two episodes, both we're really good. I don't enjoy bad pitches, usually.
Old 11-02-13, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Flip cup is a little beyond my time, but I've played too many games of beer pong to count. I guess I don't see the appeal of that cup -- would you really do shots out of it (I'd rather have a cup that can hold more beer ), but it doesn't cost any different than a regular cup, so I guess I can see something in it.

Teepee guy needed help. And a lot of it. Glad he got it.

I'd try the cleaning product but if it doesn't make it past Whole Foods, I'll never see it.
I agree about the cup, although I could see using it. I think the real brilliance there was the marketing aspect though, incentivizing college kids to adopt it. Without that aspect it is more of a crapshoot.
Old 11-02-13, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
Damon has been a regular since the beginning as well, I think? I don't see him going anywhere. Agree about the other two, O'Leary is also on Dragons Den in Canada - he loves these shows and loves playing the villain.

There have been a lot of big deals these last two episodes, both we're really good. I don't enjoy bad pitches, usually.
When Barbara and Lori are on together, Daymond gets rotated out. This was I believe the first episode that Robert wasn't on, so I'm guessing future guest sharks get Robert's chair.
Old 11-02-13, 02:54 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Nausicaa

Daymond has sat out a couple of episodes this season. I don't think Sydonesia is suggesting anybody is out -- I think he's saying there will be a stable of 8 or 10 Sharks and on any given episode, 5 of them will be there, and that Cuban and Kevin will always be 2 of the 5 since they are the most popular. That approach makes sense to me.
Old 11-02-13, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Mr. Wonderful's worst nightmare of a sandwich...btwn Barbara and Lori.
Old 11-02-13, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
You underestimate the magnitude and level of stupidity out there when comes to people and money and debt.
No. Business is mostly about risk and sacrifice. I hope I'd never have to make a deal like that (I did do a car title loan a few years ago, to cover payroll). But I understand why people do want to hold onto their business. If you have a plan, and can visualize your ability to 'punch through' and make something happen, there's nothing wrong with risking it all.

And I have zero empathy for a business owner who isn't ready to sacrifice everything and string things along. That type of person should never been in business for themselves. It's best for them to provide labor and services for someone who is willing to gamble. Please don't think that collecting a paycheck and saving your pennies is anything like building a business.
Old 11-02-13, 10:37 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by astrochimp
The environmentally friendly cleaners seemed great, but sounded a bit pricey. I buy whats cheapest. I cant save the planet.
I just saw a rom-com recently where the lead character was selling something similar and did the same trick with spraying the cleaner in his mouth while on QVC. The name of the movie blanks me right now, but it was like deja-vu watching the Shark Tank pitch.
Old 11-03-13, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by PerryD
I just saw a rom-com recently where the lead character was selling something similar and did the same trick with spraying the cleaner in his mouth while on QVC. The name of the movie blanks me right now, but it was like deja-vu watching the Shark Tank pitch.
Not to mention they've already had a product that killed germs and you could also eat it: PureAyre, one of the all-time great boneheaded pitches the show ever had.
Old 11-03-13, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
You might be thinking of Guilt Trip, but that was no rom-com
Old 11-03-13, 06:15 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
You might be thinking of Guilt Trip, but that was no rom-com
You're right, that was the movie, but it does explain why i blanked out just about every detail of the movie, even the genre.
Old 11-03-13, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Going back to my college days it wouldn't have taken me and my friends long to think up some twists to make those cups work for drinking games.

Could add a layer to beer pong. After a cup is hit, you drink the beer. Then you flip it and pour a shot into the bottom. If someone lands a ball in the shot glass, drink the shot.

In flip cup... after you successfully flip your cup, pour a shot into the bottom. Once the last person on the team flips the cup, everyone rips the shot.

Kids have it so much better these days.
Old 11-03-13, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I really don't see the point of those cups.

Doesn't everyone already know that you can measure out a shot in a red cup? Bottom line is 1 oz (shot), mid-line is 5 oz (wine glass), top line is 12 oz (beer can), and a full cup is 16 oz (pint)? I'm surprised nobody called him out on that.
you just blew my mind
Old 11-03-13, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Yeah, he was on the Canadian DD for a long time. He was always my favourite.
I find the Canadian version to be less enjoyable than it used to be, but it's still a good show.
I don't mind that Robert's gone. He had no time for Dragon's Den anymore, so good riddance. I miss Brett. He was a really decent guy. The Rich Barber, or whatever he's called, is more than a tad dull.
Old 11-08-13, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: the paparazzi....I've never seen such arguing over something everyone thought initially sucked. Cubes was a total douche. They all "got their knickers in a twist." I thought it was a good idea for the reasons Mr. Wonderful said...weddings and funerals. So much money there.

Belly Buds. For pete's sake. Patent my ass.
Old 11-08-13, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk God

I can't believe the spray-painting dog guy got an offer. With $200K sitting in inventory.

That might have been the worst episode ever when it comes to ideas/products.
Old 11-08-13, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pet Paint seems ridiculous. I don't have a pet, but if I did I couldn't imagine spraying it with graffiti.
Old 11-08-13, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Interesting that they could bypass the cash stipulation with the paparazzi guy (i.e. they gave him 50k rather than the 250k he wanted and made the other 200k a "loan" that may or may not happen).

Could see kids eating up the pet spray paint.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.