Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

AMC Developing The Walking Dead Spin-Off - FEAR THE WALKING DEAD

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

AMC Developing The Walking Dead Spin-Off - FEAR THE WALKING DEAD

Old 09-05-14, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Zombies on a plane would be over quickly. They bite one guy, he bites everyone else, then they bite the pilot, the plan crashes. The end.
Old 09-05-14, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: AMC Developing Walking Dead Spin-Off

Originally Posted by Lifepawn
Looking forward to this. It has the potential to be better than the current show. Best character on the show isn't from the comics and this will have all fresh non-comic characters. Plus they'll have learned what's worked and what hasn't on the original show and be able to hit the ground running.

I hope they mix up the style a little and show more flashbacks to who the characters were right before the outbreak. They could have developed past/existing characters so much more doing that and made you actually give a **** when even a minor character dies.
I was thinking the same thing last year when it was announced. The main show is a take on the comics, and just can't make everyone happy. It would certainly cut down on the long wait between current seasons.
Old 09-06-14, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Zombies on a plane would be over quickly. They bite one guy, he bites everyone else, then they bite the pilot, the plan crashes. The end.
Old 09-06-14, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

They could set this during the 'fall' of civilization when and where it started, or at the CDC. I'd be down for something like that.
Old 09-08-14, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
That was surprisingly not bad.

I hope they take this opportunity to show the initial outbreak.
Old 09-08-14, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
They could set this during the 'fall' of civilization when and where it started, or at the CDC. I'd be down for something like that.
I'd like to see that too, although I wonder if they would go that route since it's something the comics never did.
Old 09-08-14, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

Same here. It's what's making The Strain so fun right now.
Old 09-08-14, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless that series gives us answers, why bother with it?
Old 09-08-14, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

My only problem with the spinoff is that even though I know it's not possible it feels like this has been teased for longer than the original show has been on.

And as mentioned above this is a much better idea than expanding the existing show to more episodes. With different lead characters and settings it really could be an entirely different show (yes, with zombies).
Old 09-27-14, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New article that has details about the principal characters

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/walking-de...155455212.html
Old 09-29-14, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

3 teenagers as primary characters? Not promising.
Old 09-29-14, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Teenagers are our future and as any person that has had a teenager in their house knows, teenagers know everything so this should be a highly intelligent take on the "zombie apocalypse" story. No running off alone out into the night when dad says not too. No breaking up a group into seperate individuals to search thru buildings alone. No making out with each other in highly infested areas. These are teens and I am sure they will keep the drama and angst to a minimum.
Old 09-29-14, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Half this cast will be eaten in a few seasons...I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 09-29-14, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by MScottM
Teenagers are our future and as any person that has had a teenager in their house knows, teenagers know everything so this should be a highly intelligent take on the "zombie apocalypse" story. No running off alone out into the night when dad says not too. No breaking up a group into seperate individuals to search thru buildings alone. No making out with each other in highly infested areas. These are teens and I am sure they will keep the drama and angst to a minimum.
I think my sarcasm detector just broke.
Old 09-30-14, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Damfino
I think my sarcasm detector just broke.
Oh no, I have been found out. LOL
Old 12-01-14, 09:04 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Frank Dillane and Alicia Debnam Carey have been cast in the pilot for The Walking Dead companion series at AMC, created by Robert Kirkman, on whose graphic novel The Walking Dead was based, and Dave Erickson. Adam Davidson will direct.

The untitled Walking Dead spinoff, aka Cobalt, takes place during the same zombie apocalypse depicted on The Walking Dead but in a different location. It revolves around a male divorced teacher and a female guidance councilor. WME-repped Dillane (Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince) plays the woman’s son, who has battled a drug problem. Aussie Debnam Carey, repped by UTA, plays the woman’s ambitious daughter.

This is the second consecutive pilot in which AMC has cast Debnam Carey; she also was in Galyntine. She made her American movie debut with this summer’s Into the Storm.

AMC Studios is producing.
http://deadline.com/2014/12/frank-di...ff-1201305129/
Old 12-02-14, 07:30 PM
ams

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
It is a shame that this was never made...

Originally Posted by Frank Darabont
I wanted to kick off the 2nd season with the flashback episode Sam describes, which would have followed a squad of Army Rangers getting trapped in the city and trying to survive as Atlanta falls. 

The idea was to do this with a very focused “you are there” documentary feel. Not going all shaky-cam, but still making it a bit rawer and grainier than the rest of the show. We’d start with a squad of maybe seven or eight soldiers being dropped into the city by chopper. They have map coordinates they need to get to; they’ve been told to report to a certain place to provide reinforcement. It’s not a special mission, it’s basically a housekeeping measure putting more boots on the ground to reinforce key intersections and installations throughout the city. And we follow this group from the moment the copter sets them down. All they have to do is travel maybe a dozen blocks, a simple journey, but what starts as a no-brainer scenario goes from “the city is being secured” to “holy shit, we’ve lost control, the world is ending.” Our squad gets blocked at every turn and are soon just trying to survive. I wanted to do a really tense, character-driven ensemble story as communications break down, supply lines are lost, escape routes are cut off, morale falls apart, leadership unravels, mutinies heat up, etc. (Yes, this approach owes a spiritual debt to a number of great films, including Walter Hill’s Southern Comfort.)

Along the way, I thought we could briefly dovetail this story with a few established characters from the show. Not to overdo that, mind you, because it could get silly and too coincidental if you load too much into that idea. But I thought it would be great to veer off on a quick narrative detour that brushes our soldiers briefly up against some people we know. Picture our squad arriving at a manned barricade where some civilians are being held back from leaving the city on shoot-to-kill orders to stop the spread of contagion, it’s a panicked high-intensity scene, and in this crowd of desperate people we find Andrea and Amy. The barricade gunners panic, the civilians start to get mowed down by machine gun fire, and in this melee the girls get pulled to safety by some old guy they don’t even know. It’s Dale. He’s nobody to them, just some guy who saw the opportunity to do the right thing and reacted in the moment. This would have been perhaps a minute or two of the episode, just a cool detour like the various outposts the soldiers encounter in Saving Private Ryan, but we would have witnessed the moment that Dale meets Andrea and Amy, seen where that relationship began. I also felt it would be a great way to get Emma Bell back into the series for a moment, because she was so wonderful and we were all so sorry that her character died and she had to leave the show. (Of course if this “brush with established characters” idea didn’t work in the script stage, I’d have tossed it out. You try a lot of ideas like that as you go, see how they play. But I thought this one stood a pretty good chance of being engineered to work well.) 

So the story follows these soldiers through hell as the city falls apart and the squad implodes, with Sam’s soldier being the main character and the moral center of the group. He becomes the last survivor of the squad, and he finally gets to the map coordinates they’ve been trying to get to from the start: it’s the barricade at the Atlanta courthouse intersection from the pilot where Rick later finds the tank. The soldier is still alive when he gets there, but he’s been bitten. He’s accomplished his “simple” mission, but he’s gone through seven kinds of hell to do it (including being forced to frag his squad leader), and now he’s dying. And he crawls off into the tank just to get off the street and under cover. As his fever builds and the poor guy starts to hallucinate, he pulls his last grenade and considers ending his life. He sets the grenade down on that shelf for a moment to reflect on all the shit and misery that brought him to this sad end-point of his life, and to dredge up the courage to pull the pin...but before he can act, the fever burns him out and he dies. 

The kicker comes in the last moments of this episode:

After the soldier dies this squalid, lonely death...and after a quiet lapse of time...we do a shot-for-shot reprise from the first episode of the first season: Rick comes scrambling into the tank to escape the horde...blows that zombie soldier’s brains out...now Rick’s trapped...fade out...the end.

The notion was to take the “throwaway” tank zombie Rick encountered in the pilot, and tell that soldier’s story. Make him the star of his own movie, follow his journey, but don’t reveal who he is until the end. The idea being that every zombie has a story, every undead extra was once a human being with a life of his/her own...was, in a sense, the star of his own life’s movie. And we’ve followed this one particular guy and seen how his life ended; we witness his struggles, see his good intentions and his failures, and we experience his godawful death in this tank. That’s why I cast Sam as that tank zombie in the first place instead of just casting some extra. I had this story in mind while filming the pilot, and I knew I’d need a superb actor to play that soldier when the time came.

And then starting with Episode 202, we’d be back with Rick’s group and back in step with the flow of the established story from last season.

I always had in mind to throw in a “wild-card” episode every season, maybe as a season opener or closer. Just a separate story more in the feel of an anthology series, one that appears completely off the track of the regular series but actually does wind up tying in somehow by the fade-out. They did that sort of thing on LOST on occasion, and I really respected it. It always seemed like a bold choice that trusted the audience and rewarded their loyalty with a totally unexpected surprise episode every so often.
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52526
Old 12-04-14, 11:09 AM

Re: AMC Developing The Walking Dead Spin-Off

Cliff Curtis (Gang Related, Missing) has been cast as the male lead in the pilot for The Walking Dead companion series at AMC, created by Robert Kirkman, on whose graphic novel The Walking Dead was based, and Dave Erickson. Adam Davidson will direct.

The untitled Walking Dead spinoff, code name Cobalt, takes place during the same zombie apocalypse depicted on The Walking Dead but in a different location. It revolves around a divorced teacher (Curtis), a good man who tries to do right by everyone in his life, and a female guidance counselor. Curtis, managed by Joe Rice, joins Frank Dillane and Alycia Debnam Carey who were recently cast as the woman’s children.
http://deadline.com/2014/12/cliff-cu...ff-1201308108/
Old 12-16-14, 10:26 AM

Show will take place in Los Angeles: http://tvline.com/2014/12/16/the-wal...-spoilers-l-a/
Old 12-16-14, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking forward to seeing zombies with big tits!
Old 12-16-14, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

Awesome. Sort of tiring seeing the woods and farms all the time. Urban warfare!
Old 12-16-14, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

An urban setting would be great.
Old 12-16-14, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

So will it show any zombies wearing short sleeve shirts?
Old 12-16-14, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Dave Erickson from Sons of Anarchy as showrunner ...
Old 12-16-14, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Dave Erickson from Sons of Anarchy as showrunner ...
I trust no one from that dumpster fire of a show.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.