TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

AMC Developing The Walking Dead Spin-Off - FEAR THE WALKING DEAD

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-13, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: AMC Developing Walking Dead Spin-Off

Originally Posted by SuckaMC
I fully expect that a new zombie show made by the same team as Walking Dead will still have threads containing complainants about how shitty it is from the same folks complaining now. Here's a chance NOT to watch, instead of being "stuck watching it till the end... in case it gets better" Hahaha.

I really hope they start from the beginning.
Exactly. For crap's sake it's a ZOMBIE show. It's made for fan's of that type of horror. I'll say again: The Walking Dead is better than most (maybe 95%) of zombie genre movies out there. As zombie movie fans we put up with a lot of crap. If the spin off is at least as good as TWD I will welcome it.

Last edited by DeputyDave; 09-16-13 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-16-13, 05:08 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

when the shows run is over, the groups will combine for The Walking Dead: The Movie!
Old 09-16-13, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by riley_dude
Another show about Zombies but in a new location?
Oh come on.
Isn't that the formula for Romero zombie films? If we're lucky maybe this will "suck" as much as "Dawn of the Dead."
Old 09-16-13, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
when the shows run is over, the groups will combine for The Walking Dead: The Movie!
That is the current plan. They will milk this franchise into the ground. I personally am waiting on the kids' cartoon version.
Old 09-16-13, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stingermck
And this is how The Walking Dead ends. Over saturation.
I actually don't think so. At least two more seasons of TWD will be aired before this spinoff, at which point the show will probably have an end date set.
Old 09-17-13, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I actually don't think so. At least two more seasons of TWD will be aired before this spinoff, at which point the show will probably have an end date set.

Ha! Kirkman once stated, during S2 I believe, that he could see the series going 20 seasons. They are probably just going to make new stuff up when they catch up to the comic.
Old 09-17-13, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Exactly. For crap's sake it's a ZOMBIE show. It's made for fan's of that type of horror. I'll say again: The Walking Dead is better than most (maybe 95%) of zombie genre movies out there. As zombie movie fans we put up with a lot of crap. If the spin off is at least as good as TWD I will welcome it.
And this show is pulling in people that are not zombie fans. I think, even with its flaws, this is a well done show and I would welcome more of this than another cop/lawyer/doctor show.
Old 09-17-13, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Make it a 70s-style "variety" show and I'm IN... as long as Tim Conway's there, that is.
Dorf?!?!
Old 09-17-13, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I guess for a lot of people the show would be a lot better if they actually dealt creatively with the zombies and finding ways to survive/cure/win over them. Instead we get mostly soap opera level melodrama with ridiculous characters like the Governor, interspersed with some gratuitous kills of Zombies, and more illogical actions and plot elements than seem possible. I mean the second half of Season 3 was pretty terrible, because thats all they did. Some will say "but its about the people". Well the people are boring cliched and idiotic. It could be a really good show and parts of it were quite interesting but on a whole it is pretty lousy.

No I won't be catching the spin-off, and will likely skip season 4 as well. There is a good show in there if they actually concentrated on the survival element of a world overriden by zombies in a creative way.

To be honest I do not get why the zombie sub genre is so popular, and WD does not really do anything to make me understand it or seek out other zombie stuff at all.
Old 09-17-13, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I guess for a lot of people the show would be a lot better if they actually dealt creatively with the zombies and finding ways to survive/cure/win over them. Instead we get mostly soap opera level melodrama with ridiculous characters like the Governor, interspersed with some gratuitous kills of Zombies, and more illogical actions and plot elements than seem possible. I mean the second half of Season 3 was pretty terrible, because thats all they did. Some will say "but its about the people". Well the people are boring cliched and idiotic. It could be a really good show and parts of it were quite interesting but on a whole it is pretty lousy.

No I won't be catching the spin-off, and will likely skip season 4 as well. There is a good show in there if they actually concentrated on the survival element of a world overriden by zombies in a creative way.

To be honest I do not get why the zombie sub genre is so popular, and WD does not really do anything to make me understand it or seek out other zombie stuff at all.
I think people want The Walking Dead to have an HBO-sized budget like Game of Thrones with the attendant production quality. Instead the series is stuck on AMC, one of the most erratically-run and cheapest cable networks in existence.
Old 09-17-13, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I think people want The Walking Dead to have an HBO-sized budget like Game of Thrones with the attendant production quality. Instead the series is stuck on AMC, one of the most erratically-run and cheapest cable networks in existence.
I'm actually more interested in a WD spinoff than the main story at this point. New characters and stories would be interesting as hell. I have no doubt that AMC went after this though.

I've been wishing that HBO would try their own zombie show. It's only a matter of time until some network tries it and, like I said, I''d love to see non comic characters in a serialized show.
Old 09-17-13, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I have no issue with the production quality, I just have issues with the illogical plot lines and forced twists, and the quite boring soap opera elements and histrionics and that plague the show.
Old 09-17-13, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have no issue with the production quality, I just have issues with the illogical plot lines and forced twists, and the quite boring soap opera elements and histrionics and that plague the show.
AMC is the one that requested they continue using the prison set because of how much it cost them. I have to think network decisions like that hurt the story lines writers think up years in advance.
Old 09-17-13, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
AMC is the one that requested they continue using the prison set because of how much it cost them. I have to think network decisions like that hurt the story lines writers think up years in advance.
Exactamundo, AMC's severe budget limitations on the show drastically change the type of story one can tell. I strongly doubt season three has the same drawn-out arc with a bigger budget.
Old 09-18-13, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I don't think the problem for many is the lack of action, it's that the characters are completely unlikable and boring. They aren't even complex and compelling in a Walter White sort of way, they are just sort of there, not doing anything to make us care about them one way or the other.
Old 09-18-13, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
And this show is pulling in people that are not zombie fans. I think, even with its flaws, this is a well done show and I would welcome more of this than another cop/lawyer/doctor show.
I'm not at all a zombie fan but watch TWD. I don't think it's the greatest show out there but it is entertaining. Agree I'd rather watch another one of these than another damn police procedural or a cop show with a 'spin' on it.
Old 09-18-13, 10:39 AM
Suspended

They should combine "Better Call Saul" and the "Walking Dead" spinoff. An attorney who represents zombies suing the people that kill/harm them would be awesome.
Old 09-18-13, 10:50 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I hope the show is called "The Wheelchair-Bound Living".
Old 09-18-13, 12:07 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Ha! Kirkman once stated, during S2 I believe, that he could see the series going 20 seasons. They are probably just going to make new stuff up when they catch up to the comic.
They've been making up new stuff since day one. A lot of the broad strokes come from the comic, but not all of them, and the details are completely different (hence my sarcastic comment on page one that nobody besides me seems to think is funny).
Old 09-18-13, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Agree as they can barely sustain one show...
Old 09-18-13, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Agreed. While I do like the show (I don't think it's great, I think it's good), I think it would be a lot more interesting if the characters were doing something besides dicking around and fighting with each other. Like trying to meet up with other survivor groups or clearing out small towns of zombies or trying to meet up with the military (or whatever might be left of it) or trying to find out why the zombies came into being or trying to find a cure or getting the world back to normal. Instead they just mill around and fight with each other in every episode.

I don't get it either. Most of the zombie movies I've seen have had pretty much the same plot (and a lot of them really aren't that good). It's kind of like zombies have become this generic villain pop culture latched onto that keeps getting shoehorned into everything.
Old 09-18-13, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by big e
I don't get it either. Most of the zombie movies I've seen have had pretty much the same plot (and a lot of them really aren't that good). It's kind of like zombies have become this generic villain pop culture latched onto that keeps getting shoehorned into everything.
Millions of people in Generation Y and younger grew up playing against zombies in their videogames. Zombies were a cult horror phenomenon before videogames turned them into everyone's favorite villain.
Old 09-19-13, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I don't think the problem for many is the lack of action, it's that the characters are completely unlikable and boring. They aren't even complex and compelling in a Walter White sort of way, they are just sort of there, not doing anything to make us care about them one way or the other.
I agree. I don't want more Zombie kills, I want to feel like the show is going somewhere; moving forward.
Old 09-19-13, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

If AMC took the money they spend on lawyers to fight with cable and satellite operators and poured it into their three incredible cash cows (WD, Breaking Bad, and Mad Men), they WOULD have HBO level production values.
Old 09-19-13, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

I question how a show that only had 16 episodes in it's third season with very few reruns, can suffer from "oversaturation".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.