Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Westworld -- The News, Rumors, Casting, Discussion Thread [Possible Spoilers]

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Westworld -- The News, Rumors, Casting, Discussion Thread [Possible Spoilers]

Old 07-11-14, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts
re: Westworld -- The News, Rumors, Casting, Discussion Thread [Possible Spoilers]

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I'd much rather see a Logans Run series.
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Mass Effect in HBO please?
I'd eagerly watch both.
Old 07-11-14, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Westworld -- The News, Rumors, Casting, Discussion Thread [Possible Spoilers]

Knocking on door of HBO...'Hello?' Could you please perfectly adapt Stephen King's The Dark Tower 7-book, 4000+ page epic series of novels as a mega-TV series for as long as it needs to run to tell the complete story without cancelling it? Thanks.

I think Westworld might work as a limited series.
Old 07-22-14, 06:45 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

After True Detective, toplined by Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson, the casting bar for HBO‘s new drama series is pretty high. Enter the pay cable network’s pilot Westworld, which has locked in Oscar winner Anthony Hopkins and Evan Rachel Wood for lead roles. The project, inspired by Michael Crichton’s 1973 sci-fi movie set at an amusement park, hails from from J.J. Abrams‘ Bad Robot, Person Of Interest creator Jonathan Nolan, writer Lisa Joy Nolan, producer Jerry Weintraub and Warner Bros TV. It landed at HBO a year ago with one of the biggest commitments ever for the premium network, a pilot production commitment, and now has been officially greenlighted to pilot with Hopkins and Wood on board. Described as a dark odyssey about the dawn of artificial consciousness and the future of sin, the series will keep the setting of the movie, which starred Yul Brynner, Richard Benjamin and James Brolin and introduced new digital visual techniques. In his first TV series role, Hopkins will play Dr. Robert Ford, the brilliant, taciturn and complicated creative director, chief programmer and chairman of the board of Westworld who has an uncompromising creativehbologo3 vision for the park — and unorthodox methods of achieving it. Wood plays the provincial, beautiful and kind Dolores Abernathy, the quintessential farm girl of the frontier West — who is about to discover that her entire idyllic existence is an elaborately constructed lie. Also in talks for a lead role in the pilot is James Marsden. This marks Wood’s return to HBO where she had a recurring role on True Blood and co-starred in the miniseries Mildred Pierce. Husband-and-wife duo Jonah and Lisa Joy Nolan wrote the script and are executive producing Westworld with Abrams, Weintraub and Bryan Burk. Jonah also will direct.
Old 07-22-14, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

Anthony Hopkins, damn that's a huge signing for this show.
Old 07-22-14, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I would definitely watch this as long as no one who ever had anything to do with Lost is involved in any way.
Old 07-22-14, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I would definitely watch this as long as no one who ever had anything to do with Lost is involved in any way.
This is from the co writer of The Dark Knight Trilogy. He's Christopher Nolan's brother.
Old 07-22-14, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 714 Likes on 584 Posts

This will help me get over the Boardwalk Empire hangover.
Old 07-22-14, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Oops.

hails from from J.J. Abrams' Bad Robot[/b]
Old 07-22-14, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Again, J.J. Abrams has absolutely nothing to do with this show other than a Producer credit and his production company making it. This is Jonathan Nolan's show. He's also the creator and head writer of Person of Interest on CBS.

Getting Sir Anthony Hopkins as one of the leads is pretty huge and will almost certainly get this show greenlighted. However, he's 76 years old now, I have to wonder what his contract is if this show gets made. I can't imagine he will want to commit to more than 8-10 episodes and maybe 2 years maximum.
Old 07-23-14, 06:55 AM

Also.... J.J. really had nothing much to do with Lost after the pilot.
Old 07-23-14, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dex14
Also.... J.J. really had nothing much to do with Lost after the pilot.
I was kind of surprised when he was choses to direct M:I III because he barely even had any directorial credits on TV. He's almost always touted as "the creator of Lost," did he even write any episodes besides his creator credit?
Old 07-23-14, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

This is about the "dawn of artificial consciousness and the future of sin"? That's the most pretentious thing I've ever read. Turned off already. It's HBO, so willing to give them benefit of the doubt. "The Leftovers" isn't helping with my perception of new HBO programming though.
Old 07-23-14, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I was kind of surprised when he was choses to direct M:I III because he barely even had any directorial credits on TV. He's almost always touted as "the creator of Lost," did he even write any episodes besides his creator credit?
Nope... just the pilot. And an E.P. credit. Really had nothing to do with anything after that.
Old 07-23-14, 03:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Getting Sir Anthony Hopkins as one of the leads is pretty huge and will almost certainly get this show greenlighted. However, he's 76 years old now, I have to wonder what his contract is if this show gets made. I can't imagine he will want to commit to more than 8-10 episodes and maybe 2 years maximum.
He probably dies in the pilot.
Old 08-11-14, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

Ed Harris Set as Key Villain in HBO's 'Westworld'
12:15 PM PDT 8/11/2014 by Lesley Goldberg

HBO's Westworld adaptation continues to add to its already impressive cast.

Four-time Oscar nominee Ed Harris has landed a pivotal role in the premium cable network's adaptation of the sci-fi hit, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Inspired by Michael Crichton's 1973 feature film, the drama is billed as a dark odyssey about the dawn of artificial consciousness and the future of sin.

Harris (The Hours, Pollock, The Truman Show, Apollo 13) will star as The Man in Black, described as the distillation of pure villainy into one man.

He joins a cast that includes Anthony Hopkins, Evan Rachel Wood, Jeffrey Wright, Rodrigo Santoro, Shannon Woodward, James Marsden, Kyle Bornheimer and more.

J.J. Abrams will executive produce alongside veteran producer Jerry Weintraub and Bad Robot's Bryan Burk. Person of Interest's Jonathan Nolan, who co-wrote the pilot, will executive produce and direct as well. Lisa Joy co-wrote the pilot and will exec produce. Kathy Lingg will co-executive produce and Athena Wickham is a producer on the Warner Bros. Television drama. David Coatsworth is set as a co-executive producer and line producer, with Susie Ekins set as a co-producer.

The casting brings Harris back into the HBO fold after his role as Sen. John McCain in HBO's Game Change and role in Empire Falls. Harris earned Emmy nominations for both roles and a Golden Globe win for the former. He next stars in feature Run All Night. He's repped by CAA and Ziffren Brittenham.
Old 08-11-14, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ed in the Yul role? He seems a bit old.
Old 08-11-14, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts

He's 10 years older than Brenner was when he played the role. But back then actors always seemed older than they really were and now they seem younger, so it probably events out.
Old 08-11-14, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 543 Likes on 338 Posts

J.J. Abrams and Bad Robot are on a roll. Hopefully this will be as successful as Undercovers, Alcatraz, Almost Human, Revolution and Believe.
Old 08-11-14, 05:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

"Find a white actor who's bald. Willis and Malkovich are unavailable? Okay, Harris will do."
Old 08-12-14, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

First I've heard of this project. I like Ed Harris, and the others that are starring, so it's something I'm definitely interested in.
Old 08-12-14, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

I'm in.
Old 08-12-14, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Lifepawn
He probably dies in the pilot.
That's okay, I hear they are courting Sean Bean to join the show in the 2nd episode.
Old 08-13-14, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk God

http://deadline.com/2014/08/thandie-...ld-hbo-818992/

Thandie Newton was cast. She's already on the Directv series Rogue.

Previously announced, James Marsden was cast as the young male lead.
Old 08-13-14, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This cast is insane.
Old 08-13-14, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Kyle Bornheimer is in this?!?

Well, it should be a halfway decent one season show. Or maybe it's just a guest spot. A show can survive a guest appearance from him.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.