Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Knick (Cinemax) - Series Thread - S: Clive Owen / D: Steven Soderbergh - 8/8/14

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Knick (Cinemax) - Series Thread - S: Clive Owen / D: Steven Soderbergh - 8/8/14

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-14, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: The Knick (Cinemax) - Season 1 Thread - S: Clive Owen / D: Steven Soderbergh - 8/

Originally Posted by flashburn
I'm down as well. Great pilot, and that c-section was fucking brutal.
Agreed.

Although minus one point already for
Spoiler:
killing off Matt Frewer so early. Love this guy. Looks like he appears in flashbacks though.
Old 08-11-14, 07:59 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: The Knick (Cinemax) - Season 1 Thread - S: Clive Owen / D: Steven Soderbergh - 8/

Thought this was off to a great start. Great premise that has a lot of potential, imo. I think Owen is perfect in this and am excited to see where it goes. Also, Cliff Martinez musical score.
Old 08-11-14, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
Agreed.

Although minus one point already for
Spoiler:
killing off Matt Frewer so early. Love this guy. Looks like he appears in flashbacks though.
Spoiler:
I could be wrong but it looks to me like his character will appear from time to time in flashbacks and/or as an "advisor" to Clive Owens' character during one of his cocaine withdrawal deliriums. I can't believe he would agree to do this show just for that short scene.
Old 08-12-14, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Finally watched episode 1 last night. Pretty solid start. I enjoyed Clive, the score and the directing by Soderbergh.

Very interesting to see how primitive medicine was back then. It's a pretty dark show.

The C-section scene was tough to watch. That was unexpected to see the veteran doctor blow his brains out after failing that operation. The last surgery scene was also quite graphic. The mortality rate back in the early 20th century was super high and I can see why.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-17-14 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-12-14, 02:11 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

think you meant "high".
Old 08-17-14, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to me episode 2 was actually better than episode 1
Old 08-17-14, 02:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
to me episode 2 was actually better than episode 1
Yeah I liked it better as well. It focused on the other characters on the show and what they are going through. Good show so far.
Old 08-17-14, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

You can thank Bono for Eve Hewson

Old 08-17-14, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
You can thank Bono for Eve Hewson
Is that the gal from West Virginia?

This is a great show that unfortunately will probably never find an audience because its on Cinemax. What a shame.
Old 08-17-14, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

I watched this on a HBO go. they previewed it there but im guessing it wont show on HBO go regularly.
I loved the premiere and I looooooved the soundtrack. So opposite of the setting yet it fit the dark nature of the episode.
Old 08-17-14, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I watched this on a HBO go. they previewed it there but im guessing it wont show on HBO go regularly.
I loved the premiere and I looooooved the soundtrack. So opposite of the setting yet it fit the dark nature of the episode.
No that was only a special preview. It's airing regularly on Cinemax. It already got a second season, but as mentioned Cinemax isn't a really popular premium channel. Not many subscribe to it.
Old 08-18-14, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
No that was only a special preview. It's airing regularly on Cinemax. It already got a second season, but as mentioned Cinemax isn't a really popular premium channel. Not many subscribe to it.
Yeah I figured as much. Thanks.

Its funny, years ago someone told me that the only channels anyone needs is HBO and Showtime. Cinemax was the channel you only took if offered for free.
Old 08-18-14, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
Is that the gal from West Virginia?

This is a great show that unfortunately will probably never find an audience because its on Cinemax. What a shame.

She is Lucy Elkins.

She had small roles role in Blood Ties and Enough Said.
Old 08-20-14, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I saw the ratings actually went up for week 2, up past 600,000 viewers
Old 08-22-14, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

When the patient revealed why she needed reconstructive surgery, I was shocked. I thought the cause was probably abuse by her husband. After the episode, Clive Owen stated that in those years there was actually
Spoiler:
a No Nose Club in NYC that people could go to so they wouldn't feel so alone.

Put it in spoilers for those who haven't watched yet.

Some may feel that tonight's episode was kinda slow, but I enjoyed it.
Old 08-23-14, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent episode. Loved the final scene and shot with Edwards.
Old 08-23-14, 02:22 PM
Banned

Yeah another very good episode. Damn Thackery is a junkie supreme. You know it's bad when you have to search all over your arm for an open spot. I loved the camera work at the end with the fight.

I also couldn't figure out what happened with Thackery's ex until they explained it after the show. I'm curious to see what the results are after the surgery. I gotta a bad feeling about it.

Also Barrow, what creepy guy especially with the 'get those fleas off'. WTF. Not sure what his attentions are with burning the pig.

Last edited by bootsy; 08-23-14 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-23-14, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bootsy
Also Barrow, what creepy guy especially with the 'get those fleas off'. WTF. Not sure what his attentions are with burning the pig.
That dude is absolutely going to murder someone and incinerate their corpse.
Old 08-23-14, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
That dude is absolutely going to murder someone and incinerate their corpse.
That was my thought as well. He must have been trying to see if how thorough the incineration process was... if he would be able to dispose of a body without there being any evidence left of human remains.
Old 09-12-14, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

catching up on episodes of this show.

It's really good, surprised it's not getting much chatter here.

Owen is excellent, but the backdrop of that time makes for a cool setting.
Old 09-12-14, 08:19 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I have everything on the DVR... I was excited about it... but just haven't found the time.
Old 09-12-14, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Really well acted, produced, directed show with interesting backdrop of medicine and the times.

Highly recommended!!
Old 09-12-14, 08:42 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I don't have Cinemax, but was able to watch the first 4 or 5 episodes during a free trial weekend.

Love it. Can't wait to get the digital copy and finish the series. The early days of medicine was quite fucked up. I cringe every time I see them sticking their ungloved hands into the cavity of a patient.
Old 09-19-14, 11:00 PM

This show just gets better with every new episode. Quite a surprise to me.
Old 09-20-14, 02:30 PM
Banned

This had to be my favorite episode so far. Damn I feel that way almost every week.

'Call me dad' had to be the creepiest shit I've seen on the show and how he walked up behind her was equally creepy.

Algy finally breaking through to Thacker and getting what he deserves was nice.

I wonder how Thackery will take to Bertram and Elkins dating? He probably won't care that much but we'll see if it bothers him at all.

That fake baby was pretty cool and freaky.

Typhoid Mary. That bitch cray.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.