Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Devious Maids (Lifetime) -- From the creator of Desperate Housewives -- Series Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Devious Maids (Lifetime) -- From the creator of Desperate Housewives -- Series Thread

Old 06-12-13, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Synopsis:

Lifetime will premiere its highly-anticipated new drama "Devious Maids," executive produced by Marc Cherry ("Desperate Housewives") and Eva Longoria ("Desperate Housewives"), on Sunday, June 23, at 10PM ET/PT. The ensemble all-star cast, Ana Ortiz ("Ugly Betty"), Dania Ramirez ("Entourage"), Roselyn Sánchez ("Without a Trace"), Edy Ganem ("Livin’ Loud") and Judy Reyes ("Scrubs"), portray five maids with ambition and dreams of their own while working for the rich and famous in Beverly Hills.

In "Devious Maids," murder and mayhem collide in the mansions of Beverly Hills’ wealthiest and most powerful families. Class warfare has never been as fun and dirty as it is in the tony enclave where the staff is as clever, witty, outrageous and downright devilish as their employers. Whoever holds the dirt holds the power, and before the season is over, illicit affairs will be revealed and deep dark secrets exposed as we learn the sordid details behind a shocking murder of a beloved housemaid.

The series centers on a close-knit group of maids who are bonded together by their jobs, life struggles and the melodramatic "upstairs-downstairs" universe that engulfs their employers. Rosie (Ramirez), a widow who left her son back in Mexico when her husband died, works as the maid and nanny for a pair of self-absorbed and successful actors, Peri and Spence Westmore (Mariana Klaveno, "True Blood," and Grant Show, "Swing Town"). Aspiring singer Carmen (Sánchez), hopes that her pop star employer Alejandro (Matt Cedeño, "Days of Our Lives") can help jump-start her career, but Odessa (Melinda Paige Hamilton, "Mad Men"), his very loyal housekeeper and her boss, will stop at nothing to stand in her way. Zoila (Reyes) is the senior maid for Genevieve Delatour (Susan Lucci, "All My Children"), a codependent, emotionally unstable wealthy woman. She works alongside her teen daughter Valentina (Ganem), who has a crush on Genevieve's handsome son, Remi (Drew Van Acker, "Pretty Little Liars").

In the series premiere, the women turn to one another for support when their friend and fellow maid Flora (Paula Garces, "CSI Miami") is brutally murdered at the home of her employers, Evelyn and Adrian Powell (Rebecca Wisocky, "American Horror Story," and Tom Irwin, "Grey’s Anatomy"), at one of the largest society events of the year. Meanwhile, newcomer Marisol (Ortiz) is hired to clean the home of Taylor and Michael Stappord (Brianna Brown, "Homeland," and Brett Cullen, "Damages"), a newlywed couple with a complicated love history. But Marisol has ulterior motives and when someone she loves becomes wrapped up in Flora’s murder, she goes undercover to learn the truth.
This show was created by Marc Cherry and is produced by Eva Longoria. It's sort of a spinoff of Desperate Housewives. I believe one of the characters played by Roselyn Sanchez was introduced in the Desperate Housewives series finale.

Anyways, I caught the Pilot today. It was posted online and was available to stream on Lifetime's app. I was going to wait until it officially premiered, but after I started the episode, I couldn't stop and all of the sudden it was over.

Pretty good overall. It's a murder mystery with a little dark humor. I loved Ana Ortiz as the lead. There is an interesting twist with her character at the end. She is pretty much the central character of the show. Also, Paula Garces is in the Pilot and she has a role that is similar to Brenda Strong's on Desperate Housewives.

Susan Lucci is also on this show and she was perfect as the over the top Beverly Hills diva who is afraid of getting old.

Liked the chemistry with all the ladies as well. Surprised that ABC passed on this show. It would have been perfect as a Desperate Housewives replacement.

Also, funny note. The show takes place in Beverly Hills, but is filmed in Atlanta.

Doesn't officially premiere until the 23rd, so I'm keeping my thoughts pretty generic. But if you were a fan of Desperate Housewives, it's worth checking out.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-01-15 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-23-13, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk God

re: Devious Maids (Lifetime) -- From the creator of Desperate Housewives -- Series Thread

The Pilot airs officially tonight at 10pm

I caught the Pilot on a free preview a few weeks ago. I enjoyed it quite a bit. If you were a fan of Desperate Housewives, you will probably enjoy it. It has the same kind of mystery/dark comedy vibe. Plus it helps that there is some eye candy in the cast.
Old 06-24-13, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk God

re: Devious Maids (Lifetime) -- From the creator of Desperate Housewives -- Series Thread

Okay so I re-watched the Pilot again tonight.

The reveal at the end was interesting that Marisol (Ana Ortiz) was the mother of the boy arrested for Flora's murder. All signs seemed to indicate that she was related to Flora.

So I guess Flora was allegedly raped by someone (Adrian?) and someone killed her to cover it up.

Taylor to Marisol: "You don't have an accent?"

Marisol: "I grew up in LA" Kind of funny how the episode poked fun at a lot of Latin maid stereotypes.

at Susan Lucci sort of poking fun at her age and playing a cougar.

Loved Valentina. She's gorgeous.

As I said earlier, Ana Ortiz was great. The character is a huge departure from Hilda on Ugly Betty.
Old 06-24-13, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was definitely a lot of fun. Worth watching.
Old 06-28-13, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really liked it. There is a lot of characters to keep track of but I think they did a great job of setting up most of the storylines.
Old 06-28-13, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I had this on in the background the other day, it's alright - seems fun, doesn't take itself so seriously. Roselyn Sanchez's plotline is fucking atrocious though.
Old 06-28-13, 11:35 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

I had forgotten about this and am just now realizing it airs on Lifetime -- I think I currently have that channel filtered out on my guide.
Old 06-28-13, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
I had forgotten about this and am just now realizing it airs on Lifetime -- I think I currently have that channel filtered out on my guide.
I unfiltered Lifetime once I learned of that show where Jennifer Love Hewitt plays a whore.
Old 07-01-13, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just watched the first two episodes and enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm in for the season.
Old 07-02-13, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Loved Sundays episode. This really does have the same kind of tone as the early seasons of Desperate Housewives. Ana Ortiz has been great so far as the lead. My only real criticism is the poor casting for the kid who plays her son. That kid is awful and looks nothing like her, let alone being Hispanic.

I loved Rosi's scenes with Peri. Those were hilarious, especially after he caught her screwing that actor.

The ladies have good chemistry. The one storyline that I think is kind of lame is Carmen.

I love Susan Lucci in this as well. I wonder how genuine she is about letting Valentine pursue her son.
Old 07-27-13, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Just saw the episode from this past Sunday

The did explain one key thing that bugged me about the Pilot. I had an issue with the Red head kid who plays Marisol's son. Looks nothing like her. At least now they explain that he was adopted.

The cat fight with Valentina and the snooty princess was awesome. at the Mexican gardners watching and laughing.

We're learning more about Flora.
Old 07-27-13, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk God

The cat fight was great. I don't know in what world he doesn't boot out the princess and go for Valentina. She is one beautiful woman.
Old 07-27-13, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Word!!!

Last edited by DJariya; 07-29-13 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-29-13, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Deadline is saying this is a lock for renewal.

I haven't been following the ratings but apparently last nights episode was up again (4%) from last week and up 45% in total viewers from the Premiere (up 69% for 18 - 49 from the first ep).

First episode: 2.0 million viewers, 826,000 in 18 - 49.
Last night: 2.9 million viewers, 1.4m in 18 - 49.
Old 07-29-13, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk God

at Rosie getting some action in this episode.

Susan Lucci was the highlight of Sunday's episode. She was hilarious. Funny that Stephen Collins was just on Falling Skies a few weeks ago and this episode he's some sleazy rich dude who's Genevieve's ex. She and Zoila have some really funny scenes together.

Didn't really care for the Carmen subplot. Thought she was being ridiculously childish. Carmen is probably my least favorite of the maids.

at how Marisol thought she could just walk in and take that DVD that she hid.
Old 08-13-13, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk God

http://tvline.com/2013/08/13/devious...edium=facebook

Renewed for a 2nd season today. Nice!! I dig this show. Reminds me a lot of old school Desperate Housewives.
Old 08-14-13, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://tvline.com/2013/08/13/devious...edium=facebook

Renewed for a 2nd season today. Nice!! I dig this show. Reminds me a lot of old school Desperate Housewives.
Which of course is the idea (besides being based off a telenovela) but you do wonder even from the get go are they going to end up with a "Melrose Place"ish subplot that causes shark jumping.
Old 04-20-14, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Devious Maids -- Season 2 Thread -- Sundays (4/20/14)

Lifetime's critically-acclaimed hit series Devious Maids (#DeviousMaids, #DeviousArmy), returns for a second season on Sunday, April 20, at 10PM ET/PT. The series is executive produced by Marc Cherry and Eva Longoria, and stars Ana Ortiz, Dania Ramírez, Roselyn Sánchez, Edy Ganem and Judy Reyes as five maids with ambition and dreams of their own while working for the rich and famous in Beverly Hills. Longoria will direct the series' eagerly anticipated season two opener, marking her television directorial debut. Devious Maids is set in a world where murder and mayhem collide in the mansions of Beverly Hills' wealthiest and most powerful families. Class warfare has never been as fun and dirty as it is in the tiny enclave where the staff is as clever, witty and downright as devilish as their employers. The series centers on a close-knit group of maids, Marisol (Ortiz), Rosie (Ramírez), Carmen (Sánchez), Valentina (Ganem) and Zoila (Reyes), who are bonded together by their jobs, life struggles and the melodramatic universe that engulfs their employers. Devious Maids also stars Susan Lucci, Grant Show, Rebecca Wisocky, Tom Irwin, Mariana Klaveno, Matt Cedeño, Melinda Page Hamilton and Drew Van Acker. Joining the cast this season are Dominic Adams (Romancing the Joan), Joanna Adler (Orange Is the New Black) and Colin Woodell (Criminal Minds).

13 episode 2nd season

Premiering super early. The 1st season premiered in late June, now they moved this up to Spring competing with a shit load of other things on Sunday.

This is also on at 10pm ET. Some of you may have to catch a re-air if you don't have enough tuners.

The big mystery arc from season 1 was pretty much resolved. However, Rosie was being deported as last season's cliffhanger.
Old 04-20-14, 03:28 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Re: Devious Maids -- Season 2 Thread -- Sundays (4/20/14)

Looking forward to this returning. Liked last season more than I thought I would. Fans of Desperate Housewives should like it. Sundays are just too jam-packed right now.
Old 04-20-14, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup this reminded me of good Desperate Housewives eps, including a sometimes meandering season long mystery arc. Too bad ABC passed this one over... maybe should have waited a year to get rid of the stink of DH and it would have had a stable fall/spring series in its 9:00/10:00p time slot.

Susan Lucci ended up with some great one liners. The antics with her Genevieve, Zoila and the blind suitor were fun.
Old 04-20-14, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Good guilty pleasure and great eye candy.

I really don't understand this obsession with the cablenets and Sunday night, particularly 10-11. I don't know why some of them don't throw their high profile shows up at 8p. They don't have restrictions w/ content.
Old 04-20-14, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Alejandro's back is too risqué for an early 8:00 time slot.
Old 06-01-15, 05:26 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts
Re: Devious Maids (Lifetime) -- From the creator of Desperate Housewives -- Series Th

Season 3 premieres 6/1/15
Old 06-01-15, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Devious Maids (Lifetime) -- From the creator of Desperate Housewives -- Series Th

I love this show! Glad it is back. I wonder who got killed from last season's cliffhanger. I am thinking Rosie.
Old 06-11-15, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The only thing I don't get about this new season is why Marisol is starting a maid placement business. I realize they are trying to keep her involved with the maids, but didn't she used to be a successful professor? I know she took a sabbatical to go undercover and then wrote her book, but I wish they would explain why she isn't a professor anymore. It seems odd that she would start a business when she has a good career to go back to.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.