Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

America's Got Talent -- Season 8 Thread -- (Stern, Mandel, Klum, Scary Spice)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

America's Got Talent -- Season 8 Thread -- (Stern, Mandel, Klum, Scary Spice)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-13, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: America's Got Talent -- Season 8 Thread -- (Stern, Mandel, Klum, Scary Spice)

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I didn't watch the whole episode, but I did check out John Wing. I thought his "magic" was rather generic and the bowling ball trick was bottom of the barrel. That's something I'd expect in a Red Robin by the magician working for tips, not somebody vying for a million dollar act. Yes, they did it faster than most, but it was fairly standard stuff. It didn't grab me at all.
John Wing is a comedian not a magician.
Old 09-04-13, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: America's Got Talent -- Season 8 Thread -- (Stern, Mandel, Klum, Scary Spice)

Originally Posted by emachine12
John Wing is a comedian not a magician.
The magician guy. Whatever his name was. Howard's wild card.

I guess his name was as forgettable as his act.
Old 09-04-13, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This show was a lot tougher to pick just 6 out of than the last one.

-I really like the Kristef Brothers and they are probably tied with comedian Taylor Williamson for my top 2 to win the show.
-The magicians totally redeemed themselves this week, as did the little girl singer
-Timber Brown is awesome, but this act was not as good as his last.
-Kenichi is still pretty badass, but i'm not as crazy about him as everyone else is.
-I even kinda liked the other comedian, John Wing.
-Chicago Boyz are entertaining to watch.

Definitely need to get rid of the stupid military wife choir and the country singers.
Really tough call this week but I just hope the Kristef Brothers and maybe Timber Brown make it through for sure.
Old 09-04-13, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,788 Likes on 1,919 Posts

D'angelo & Amanda - Great dancers, especially for their ages.

Marty Brown - Don't like country music. Blah.

Chicago Boyz - Yeah, it sort is just a bunch of guys jumping rope. But damn, they do some crazy shit.

Leon & Romy - Magicians are at a disadvantage on this program because they only have 90 seconds to do a whole act. All in all, this was pretty standard stuff done at a breakneck pace.

Anna Christine - Can't believe she's only eleven.

Kenichi - Always fun to watch. Very inventive.

John Wing - A few good jokes, but some of his material sort of fell flat.

Brandon James - Booooorrrrriiiiinnnngggg....

Kristef Brothers - Great performers and some off-the hook stunts.

American Military Spouses Choir - Dull. Without the military angle, they would never have made it this far.

Timber Brown - Thought the performance was a mess. He kept falling into the water (that was part of it, right?) and he's tugging on ropes, and I don't really now what I'm watching. And all of the flashing lights, smoke machines, and moving background images didn't help either. All of the distractions really worked against an already mediocre performance.

Jimmy Rose - Again, I don't like country music. Blah.

My personal picks: D&A, Chicago Boyz, Anna Christine, Kenichi, Kristef Bros, and either John Wing or Leon & Romy.

Who will get through: Chicago Boyz, Kenichi, Kristef Bros, and at least one of the country singers if not both.
Old 09-04-13, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,368 Likes on 930 Posts

I love the Kristef Brothers. That shit is hilarious every time.
Old 09-04-13, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 919 Likes on 652 Posts

Heads up on the results show. Unless you have a thing for Fall Out Boy, you can skip ahead to the 25 minute mark for the first result. 20 minutes of recap, commercials and 5 for FOB.
Old 09-04-13, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk God

i will only watch the fall out boy performance if they sing light 'em up. my kids love that song.
Old 09-04-13, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 175 Posts

They did.
Old 09-04-13, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk God

cool. i'll watch it with them. thanks.
Old 09-05-13, 03:24 AM
Banned

Sorry to see Anna Christine go since she did a really nice job with Wild Horses. I've heard better, but that was a solid, pro performance.

On the other hand, glad to see John Wing go. IMHO, he ranked at or near the bottom the last couple of times out (ripped off Cosby last time), and this performance was his worst. Awkward beginning in which he floundered...well, bombed badly to stone silence after which he nervously looked down & laughed. Recovered to be mildly amusing but then felt it necessary to explain the dishwasher joke (never a good sign). when the judges gushed about how good he was.

Also in the bottom tier: the magicians and Army wives. Pretty standard stuff.

Middle Tier: Timber Brown had a bad night, but he was so awesome previously that I thought he might get a second chance a la Marty Brown. Brandon James...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. D'Angelo & Amanda were pretty good, but I kept thinking of Flashdance when they were splashing around. Still a nice job. Jimmy Rose...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Marty was better, IMHO, and didn't deserve the snubbing he got from the judges (where were the 'off-key, quivering notes', Mel?). Very solid night for him, but he had that disastrous bellowing like a drunken sailor routine to overcome.

Top Tier: Kenichi (obviously), Anna Christine, Kristef Bros., Chicago Boyz. Last two run the risk of running out of stuff to do, but they manage to tweak it just enough to leave a lasting impression.

My Top 6 would have included Timber Brown (based on past performance) & the dancers. I'd have let all of the singers go except Anna.

BTW...Probably been discussed, but both Brandon & Marty have pretty extensive singing careers. Brandon has a long resume with major companies including the Met & L.A. Opera, 12 Tenors, touring 5 continents, releasing solo CD, singing the national anthem numerous times at Lakers games, etc. Marty had a Nashville career in the 90's with one single that charted and 4 albums released. Maybe I missed it in their background info., but you'd have thought that their previous experience amounted to Brandon singing in his room and Marty hopping off the tractor and serenading his wife in the kitchen. Turns out both are seasoned pros (although Marty has probably been away from the business for almost 20 years). At any rate, even though I really liked Marty's rendition and thought it could stand alongside most current country acts, he has had his shot before, while some of the others haven't.

Last edited by creekdipper; 09-05-13 at 03:35 AM.
Old 09-05-13, 08:24 AM

Anna Christine got sent home? That is shocking to me as she was far and away the best singer of the night. Not even close really. She basically just belted out that chorus six times and put everyone else to shame.

Who were the top 6 this week?

If either of the country singers or the military wives got through, it was a great injustice. Jimmy and Marty are both marginal with their nasally whining country voice, and the military wives exploit their story and lay on the patriotism way too thick. Worst acts of the night.

Chicago Boyz, Kenichi, Anna Christine, D'Angelo and Amanda, magicians, and Kristef Brothers would be my top 6 from the night.

John Wing is good too, but I agree he just falls a little short. He reminds me of Carlin without the bite, and I also didn't like when he explained the dishwasher thing after everyone already laughed at the joke. You could tell he hesitated with the unnecessary punch line but delivered it anyway.
Old 09-05-13, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't express how much I love Kenichi's routines. I think they're brilliant. Far and away my pick to win the whole thing.

Howard made a comment about the kid dancers and the young girl singer about how he's hoping they're having a childhood too. I'd bet those dancers are not.

Chicago Boyz iz alwayz fun. That four cornerz jumprope thing they were doing, iz that a real thing, or did they make it up for their act?
Old 09-05-13, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
Who were the top 6 this week?

Chicago Boyz, Kenichi, Anna Christine, D'Angelo and Amanda, magicians, and Kristef Brothers would be my top 6 from the night.
Those except for Anna Christine, the younger country singer went through.
Old 09-05-13, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Gentz
Those except for Anna Christine, the younger country singer went through.
smart move on the producer's part to put both country singers on the same night in order to split the vote. If they were on back to back weeks, it would have been possible for both to advance.
Old 09-05-13, 04:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chowderhead
smart move on the producer's part to put both country singers on the same night in order to split the vote. If they were on back to back weeks, it would have been possible for both to advance.
Yeah, they do that to weed out similar acts. If Forte had been performing, James would have been in trouble (they knocked off Jonathan previously). They've done it with dancers, singers, danger acts...anything that is very similar.

I think Jimmy Rose got by on his backstory more than his singing. And Timber Brown just fornicated with the mongrel in his misbegotten attempt to 'raise the bar'. Guess he overestimated how much of a splash he'd make.

Edit: Somebody ought to hire Timber Brown to do stunts for Superman movies. The guy's so graceful that he's the only person I've seen that reminds me of those great Mac Raboy Capt. Marvel, Jr. covers in which the character seems to be floating through the air.
Old 09-10-13, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 919 Likes on 652 Posts

Prediction time:

Top 6:
Kenichi
Catapult
Taylor Williamson
Collins Key
Kristef Bros.
Forte

wildcard: Cami Bradley

I'm putting Cami on the outside because those 6 cover every category on the show without doubling up on singers. It's actually a pretty good mix.
Old 09-11-13, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 606 Likes on 437 Posts

The magician kid didnt even do a trick.
Old 09-11-13, 12:26 AM

Taylor and the Kristef Bros. need to co-win this thing or something. I get the feeling Taylor wants to be a lot more edgy and racist like a Tosh or something, but can't on stupid NBC. He is probably way more funny.
Old 09-11-13, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 606 Likes on 437 Posts

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think the Brothers are very good.

Especially the bigger, strong one. He doesn't look very strong or at least strong enough to me.

The guys job is to be strong and lift his smaller brother but he is always wobbly and looks
as if he is about to fall or drop his brother.
I'm certain he messed up at the end of the last bit on tonights show. He Looked like he was supposed to lift him up just as the bit was ended but he couldn't do it so smaller brother just jumped down and basically did a "Ta Da"
Old 09-11-13, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, the jumprope finally got tired and betrayed them.

Williamson had his best set tonght.

I liked how Kenichi made the act smaller, but still amazing.

Catapult was nothing short of genius.

The country singer is so bland, I can't even remember his name.

Collins Key is the WORST of the 12.
Old 09-11-13, 01:07 AM

Similar to whotony not liking the Brothers, I must be the only one who doesn't really like Kenichi anymore. He literally rolled around on the stage for 90 seconds and it was "amazing"...I could do that. Some of his earlier dancing was ok, and parts of his video screen stuff worked, but overall he is pretty boring to my gf and I now
Old 09-11-13, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
The magician kid didnt even do a trick.
yeah, that was pretty bad. Good looking guy but his tricks are sub par. He took the 1st bag and the 3rd bag and smashed those even though Heidi said 1 and Mel B said 2.
Old 09-11-13, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,788 Likes on 1,919 Posts

Chicago Boyz - Kind of blew it, didn't they? They seemed off; I noticed a few mistakes in their routine.

Branden James - FFed through it. The singers bore me.

Innovative Force - Good performance; much better than their last one.

KriStef Brothers - I realize people like them, but I'm sort of getting bored watching them. Seems like it's the same thing over and over again with minor variations.

D'Angelo & Amanda
- Great dancers, though there's sort of a sameness to them every week.

Catapult - I guess I don't see what everyone else sees. It's sort of difficult to tell what's going on, and to keep their characters straight. They had so many shadow people running around that it just sort of turned into one big blur. I sort of 'got' that it was about bullying, but couldn't really draw any kind of storyline out of their performance.

Forte - ZzZzzzz... singers...

Taylor Williamson - Dude's hilarious.

Collins Key - Wretched performance. That shit wouldn't fly at a kid's birthday party.

Kenichi Ebana - I thought this one was really weak, too. All he did was roll around on the floor, did some leaping that was synced with a strobe light to make it look like he was flying, and then got lifted off the stage by a pair of wings. Looks like the wings didn't work or something - shouldn't they have been growing out of his back?

Jimmy Rose - FFed.

Cami Bradley - FFed.
Old 09-11-13, 07:48 AM

These novelty acts really have a tough road. There are so many shows they need to up their performance level for. They are pretty much spent by the finale. Singers just need to get up there and sing and everyone thinks that's amazing. They do the same damn thing every week.
Old 09-11-13, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by magiccmom
These novelty acts really have a tough road. There are so many shows they need to up their performance level for. They are pretty much spent by the finale. Singers just need to get up there and sing and everyone thinks that's amazing. They do the same damn thing every week.
At least Howard is up there basically hammering this point home every episode, because it's true.

I agree re: Kristef Brothers. They are okay, but really not that good. I was at a Ren Faire a few weeks ago and there was a similar acrobatics show there, with people balancing on each others bodies and such, and they were much better. I mean if I can see a better act at the Ren Faire...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.