TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Glee (Fox) -- Season 5 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-13, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Glee (Fox) -- Season 5 Thread

Synopsis:

BEATLEMANIA HITS LIMA! ON THE ALL-NEW SEASON PREMIERE OF "GLEE" THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 26 ON FOX

The members of New Directions are back in action and take on their biggest assignment yet: the Beatles! As Will enlists the kids to pay homage to the classic song catalog from the Fab Four, Blaine and Kurt attempt to answer questions about their future together. Meanwhile, Rachel's New York ambitions take an unexpected turn in the all-new "Love, Love, Love" season premiere episode of GLEE airing on Thursday, Sept. 26 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (GLE-501) (TV-14 D, L)

Cast: Matthew Morrison as Will Schuester; Lea Michele as Rachel Berry; Amber Riley as Mercedes Jones; Chris Colfer as Kurt Hummel; Kevin McHale as Artie; Jenna Ushkowitz as Tina; Naya Rivera as Santana Lopez; Darren Criss as Blaine Anderson; Chord Overstreet as Sam Evans; Jacob Artist as Jake Puckerman; Melissa Benoist as Marley Rose; Becca Tobin as Kitty Wilde; Alex Newell as Wade "Unique" Adams; Blake Jenner as Ryder Lynn; Mike O'Malley as Burt Hummel

Guest Cast: NeNe Leakes as Coach Roz Washington and Erinn Westbrook as Bree.

Remember, this was renewed for 2 more seasons.

Reportedly, 3 episodes will air, then the show is taking a long break to re-address the season.

Episode 3 will supposedly address Finn.
Old 09-26-13, 11:43 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts
re: Glee (Fox) -- Season 5 Thread

Are people still watching this? I bailed at the beginning of Season 3. How has it been?

I doubt you'll need to do weekly threads for this.
Old 09-26-13, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Are people still watching this? I bailed at the beginning of Season 3. How has it been?

I doubt you'll need to do weekly threads for this.
Go ahead and rename the thread series thread.
Old 09-26-13, 02:33 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tend to dislike these "songs by a single artist" episodes... they usually feel so forced in their attempt to weave the story around the catalog (versus using songs that match the beat of the story).
Old 09-26-13, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Should it be a series thread or a season thread?
Old 09-26-13, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: Glee (Fox) -- Season 5 Thread

Originally Posted by DJariya
Reportedly, 3 episodes will air, then the show is taking a long break to re-address the season.
IMDB shows 3 episodes airing and then nothing until November 7th. That's pretty common for this show though. Last season, they got in 4 episodes before vanishing for a month.
Old 09-26-13, 09:33 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
IMDB shows 3 episodes airing and then nothing until November 7th. That's pretty common for this show though. Last season, they got in 4 episodes before vanishing for a month.
Plus Cory ODed so they need to take a break for a few months after that.
Old 09-27-13, 12:10 AM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

If this episode is any indication of how the rest of the season will be I may give up on this myself....

First off, nobody wants to hear karaoke versions of Beatles songs. I think The Beatles are one of the few groups that nobody has ever done a remake of their songs and improved on it. If they were going to include the songs into the context of the show they should have just played the original versions.

Next, the second-string kids just don't bring anything interesting to the covers of the song

Why are they not introducing any more new talent? The kids they brought in last year when members of the original cast 'graduated' definitely brought some freshness to the show. So why don't we get anyone new this season?

Worst of all, the Sue Sylvester character has just become a cartoon. Nothing in her storylines ever seems remotely in the same reality as the rest of the show. At this point they should just get rid of her, she ran her course after the first season.

While I wouldn't normally say this, this show needs to be less gay. Too bad Kurt couldn't have OD'ed instead of Finn.

Lastly, bring back Britney!
Old 09-28-13, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

That was just... meh. I love the Beatles but didn't think much of any of the performances, not to mention their being really forced. I think I own all the Glee albums but have no desire to get this one.

There were a couple nice character moments, I'll admit, and I did like the blowout at Dalton. I have a friend who I used to talk Glee with a lot before we went different ways a couple years ago (coinciding with the decline of the show, I guess), and he was raving about this episode. I just don't see it.

Originally Posted by bluesix
I think The Beatles are one of the few groups that nobody has ever done a remake of their songs and improved on it.
Joe Cocker is calling on line 1. But yeah, there are very few good Beatles covers, as the recent Beatles Sheep game showed. (Fiona Apple's Across the Universe got the most support after Cocker.)
Old 09-28-13, 02:09 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I skipped through most of this episode. I'll likely stick around to see how they handle Finn then I'm probably out. Not interested enough in this show anymore to watch 2 more seasons.
Old 09-28-13, 06:04 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I was looking forward to 'Something' - which looks like it wont be til next week's episode ....
Old 10-10-13, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Heather Morris' absence was understandable given her pregnancy. Dianna Agron's absence was glaring.

Mark Saling just isn't a good enough actor to pull off that scene in the locker room.

I was done with Glee after last year, but Cory Monteith was always one of the best parts of this show. It's sad that he threw his life away.
Old 10-10-13, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I agree...I felt that Dianna's absence was pretty glaring, as well, and Mark Salling couldn't act his way out of a wet leather jacket. Really makes you wonder if he even gave a crap about Cory or not.
Old 10-10-13, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh. I didn't know Heather Morris was pregnant.
Old 10-11-13, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

The episode was uncomfortable to watch. Mr. Shue crying into the jacket (that he apparently stole from Santana?) was kind of a strange note to end it on. Good to see Emma back... so weird that character is still in a relationship with Will when the actress is barely on the show. In fact, the faculty are hardly relevant anymore.

I stuck around to see how they would handle Finn passing (which they really didn't address head on, choosing to eulogize the character without stating the circumstances), but I think I'm officially bailing. I missed the last half of season four due to the terrible writing and it doesn't seem to have improved. I agree that the series has become very "Up With People" lately. I get they want to convey positive messages to young people, it's just too on the nose for my tastes. The first season was darkly humorous and the characters were underdogs you could root for. Now, I don't really root for anyone. The new kids are so generic that I can't even remember their names. I couldn't care less about Rachel and Kurt in New York and the separate storylines rarely mesh. The show has long since become tedious to watch. Shame, as it was one of my favorites.

Last edited by joe_b; 07-09-20 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-11-13, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^My thoughts exactly - I also bailed at the same point you did and just tuned in to see Finn's send off. One thing that I saw on twitter that nailed it was this - In a show FULL of teachable moments, they danced around a HUGE one by not addressing the cause of Finn's (Cory's) death. I liked the first half of this episode, with the Kurt/Dad/Mom scene being the highlight but a lot of it felt like the Santana show...and she was never a character I thought had a deep connection with Finn so it was an odd choice...
Old 10-11-13, 09:25 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

So he just died? They never explained how or why?
Old 10-11-13, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm... I haven't watched Glee since the end of season 3 and I was barely watching the episodes at that point. I have no idea how the younger (newer) glee members even knew Finn either. Guess I missed that last season. You'd think Dianna Agron would have bent heaven and earth to make this. Even a brief cameo by Heather Morris would have been appropriate, too (via Skype with Santana?). Just kinda weird that they weren't even mentioned.

Some of the original actors looked genuinely in pain throughout the episode.

While it was kinda nice to "touch base" with these characters, I realize I don't miss this show on a regular basis, although I'll probably tune in to the finale whenever that happens.
Old 10-11-13, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Some of it didn't work for me, but overall I thought it was a well-done, emotional episode. I didn't expect Schu to have stolen the jacket but it was obvious he was going to have some kind of breaking point.

It was appropriate to have Puck back, but I hate to admit that I didn't even realize Dianna Agron and Heather Morris weren't there--Quinn especially should have been.

Madcougar, long story short: Finn returned to McKinley to teach the glee club when Schu was gone and decided he was going to become a teacher.

The pre-air promo, just for archival purposes.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6drGAFXNgdU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-11-13, 12:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too bailed on this show after the 3rd season and tuned in to see how they would handle Finn's death. Diana Agron was a glaring absence but from I've read online both Leah Michele and Ryan Murphy both can't stand her so she wasn't invited back, which was a HUGE mistake since Santana's whole part would have been better served by the character of Quinn, who actually had a relationship with Finn. I found myself tearing up when Finn's mom began to lose it. I thought the whole Finn family (Kurt, Kurt's dad and Finn's mom) had the most believable reaction to Finn's death and I think Sue's was a close second. The rest, well, it just seemed like filler.
Old 10-11-13, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Although you don't know just who or what to believe, I read that the rumors about Dianna not being invited back because of personal tensions weren't true. They said she was contractually not able to be there at the time of shooting because of going around promoting the new movie she's in with Robert DeNiro. I guess until Dianna speaks up herself, we won't know for sure.

Quinn was mentioned briefly by Sue when she was talking to Santana about Finn.

As to why they didn't deal directly with how Finn died, they addressed that pretty much within the first few minutes, in Kurt's voiceover:

"Everyone wants to talk about how he died too, but who cares? One moment in his whole life — I care more about how he lived."

That pretty much said to me that they were tying Cory's and Finn's outcomes together, but instead of moaning about the one stupid thing he did, they chose to celebrate all the good things he meant to them.
Old 10-12-13, 11:34 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by pelenor
I too bailed on this show after the 3rd season and tuned in to see how they would handle Finn's death. Diana Agron was a glaring absence but from I've read online both Leah Michele and Ryan Murphy both can't stand her so she wasn't invited back, which was a HUGE mistake since Santana's whole part would have been better served by the character of Quinn, who actually had a relationship with Finn. I found myself tearing up when Finn's mom began to lose it. I thought the whole Finn family (Kurt, Kurt's dad and Finn's mom) had the most believable reaction to Finn's death and I think Sue's was a close second. The rest, well, it just seemed like filler.

I thought Mark Salling was looking his age (and with an almost head of hair) - I liked his acoustic version of Springstein's 'No Surrender'
Old 10-14-13, 05:43 PM

Finally got around to watching this too. It wasn't exactly at the top of my must watch list but I felt obligated.

I think what made it uncomfortable to watch was the fact that they didn't acknowledge the drug abuse that killed him. Yes, it would have clashed with the character's storyline but at least they should have said he basically killed himself. That would have been believable because Finn had been in freefall not knowing what to do with his life previously before they wrapped up that storyline by making him become the next Mr. Scheu.

I thought most of the character's reactions came off heartfelt. It made sense that only the first season cast got to express themselves. Even tho Diana Agron would have made sense to be there I didn't miss her. Santana's reaction felt the most real to me since she was trying to reconcile her bitchy side with her humanity and didn't know what to do with the feelings she had.

I expected more of a Rachel-centric episode since I always thought of her and Finn as the real stars of the show and it was nice that they didn't make it all about her.

The big misfire in this episode was Mr. Scheu burying his face in the jacket which seemed way too 'Brokeback Mountain with Ennis and the bloody shirt'. Considering how gay the show has become maybe that was Ryan Murphy's intention who knows? It just felt weird and out of place. Having his wife walk in and find him doing so just made it worse.

At least they had 30 seconds of PSAs at the end but it seemed to fall short.
Old 11-15-13, 10:49 PM

I guess I'm the only one left watching this show.

I can't say I blame everyone for bailing. Ryan Murphy seems intent on driving any mainstream viewer away from spending a minute watching anymore.

Lord knows I think we remaining viewers have been more than patient while being forced to watch Kurt's character touch on every gay hot-button issue even though he's just a high school student.

Of course it was only a matter of time before that ran its course and they finally wheeled out 'Unique' to explore any shred left of gender issues we havent already been beaten over the head with.

As a B storyline we got the school ho finally revealing how she put out and stole goody two shoes' boyfriend. How far we have come when that gets relegated to the B storyline!
Old 11-16-13, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm still watching too. This season, so far, has been hit-or-miss for me. It's actually just about the same as the past couple of seasons, to be honest. They'll have a good episode that rekindles my enjoyment of the show and then they'll have 2 that make me wonder why I'm still watching.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.