Old 08-08-15, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
re: Sense8 (Netflix) - from Wachowskis & J. Michael Straczynski - Series Thread

Old 08-08-15, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts

This article points out that the main characters on this show all share the same birthday: August 8. So Netflix renewed the show on their birthday:
http://www.avclub.com/article/netfli...t-secon-223564
Old 08-08-15, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome!
Old 08-09-15, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Very good news apparently there's a behind the scenes documentary on Netflix now.
Old 08-09-15, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
Very good news apparently there's a behind the scenes documentary on Netflix now.
Sense8: Creating the World
http://www.netflix.com/browse?jbv=80062064&jbp=0&jbr=2
Old 08-14-15, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Just watched the behind the scenes. Thought it was pretty good look at what was going on.
Old 08-15-15, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Just finished season one. Amazing. Outside of that Four Non Blondes song it was pretty much perfect.
Old 08-17-15, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a slow weekend this week, so I watched this. Liked where it built to, and I'm interested in watching where it goes from here, but I have to agree that it did take entirely too long in getting there. A lot of repetitive scenes especially early on that didn't add anything, but I did think the characters were really interesting and mostly well developed (more than the concept of the show, even) so I stuck with it.

That said, I was hoping Wolfgang was going to die, because I just can't bring myself to care about him or his story.

Also wondering what Riley adds to the group. Each of them adds something (I guess Wolfgang adds a sociopathic nature and safecracking). Riley adds… what? They can learn how to DJ? For that reason I was actually thinking Wolfgang and Riley weren't long for this world, but I guess they're going to wait to start killing people off.

Oh, one more thing. I liked how several of them were fine killing dozens of people without even flinching or reacting. Because that's what happens in real life. You kill someone and then you whistle as you skip down the street.

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 08-17-15 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-16-16, 10:35 AM

Received 4,678 Likes on 3,168 Posts

<iframe width="670" height="377" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/h7JTJzb6ybQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

‘Sense8’ won’t drop its second season on Netflix until May 5, but co-creator Lana Wachowski has a pre-holiday gift for fans hungry for new footage: a brand new trailer for the two-hour Christmas special, debuting Dec. 23 on the streaming service.

The special will really be the first episode of the second season. In the trailer, which you can watch above, the Sensates — telepathically connected people from around the world — you came to know and love in Season 1 are all still busy connecting, sitting in prison, feeling things, and running from the people out to get them.

Wachowski also taped a message explaining the reasoning behind making a Christmas special for a show that might not, at first glance, seem to lend itself to the kind of holiday special audiences are used to. “When I was a kid, I loved holiday specials in the shows I used to watch,” she says. “Holidays can make you feel so connected, in the way holidays can make you feel so isolated and alone. I wanted to tell a story in the first episode that was kind of about time in the present and how the new lives these characters were experiencing made them feel empowered, like they could do anything as long as they’re together.”
Old 12-16-16, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
Wachowski also taped a message explaining the reasoning behind making a Christmas special for a show that might not, at first glance, seem to lend itself to the kind of holiday special audiences are used to...
Here's the taped holiday greeting:

Old 12-16-16, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,207 Likes on 927 Posts

Looking forward to it!
Old 12-23-16, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,709 Likes on 2,665 Posts

BUMP

FYI the Christmas special is available today.

As dex already posted, season 2 won't premiere until next May.
Old 12-24-16, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched it last night. I feel like it's more of a season 2 premiere than a "Christmas special." It covers a period of about 5 months (a little before their birthday to New Years) and deals with the fallout from last season's finale. It's also a bit exposition heavy at the beginning, re-introducing everyone, especially the new actor for the character of Capheus.

But still, the episode was great, and the Christmas stuff that was there near the end was moving. If you liked the first season, you'll like this special.

I do love the title of the AV Club's review of this episode: "Sense8’s Christmas special is the most Sense8 to ever Sense8"
http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/sense8s...-sense8-247727
Old 12-24-16, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Eh I thought only the last forty minutes were any good; the first hour had nothing but montages which just made it drag forever.

There's a really great show to be had here but so far it's oscillating between bad and great.
Old 01-04-17, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I watched it last night. I feel like it's more of a season 2 premiere than a "Christmas special."

But still, the episode was great, and the Christmas stuff that was there near the end was moving. If you liked the first season, you'll like this special.

Just watched the 'Christmas' ep last night, and I agree.
I really love the cinematic look of this show (thanks, Wachowskis!) even when the storytelling falters a bit or becomes too overtly preachy.

Looking forward to S02 in May...
Old 01-04-17, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

My main gripe with the show is that it doesn't really have a narrative. The Wachowski's writing is easily the best prose on Netflix but it gets lost in itself so quick. And their gender fluidity and sexual agenda being forced into the limelight without needing to be is distracting as well. I want to know more about why I should care about these characters and why I should fear this antagonist. That being said, the Xmas special was great. The German guys are awesome.
Old 01-04-17, 09:32 AM

The article I posted above said "The special will really be the first episode of the second season."
Old 01-04-17, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
The article I posted above said "The special will really be the first episode of the second season."
I think this is aimed at my comment. I understood what the article stated and took it to mean that, from a production standpoint, it was the first episode (or two episodes, given its double-length) of the second season.

Still, even though it was produced as part of the second season, there's the separate question of whether they write/directed it to work as a standalone special, or more as just part of the overall season. Doctor Who does this a bit with its Christmas specials, which are often standalone stories even if they involve some continuity. Another example is Battlestar Galactica Razor, which was technically produced as the first two episodes of season 4, but was conceived of and released as a separate "TV Movie."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...zor#Production

So I was commenting on the "feel" of the episode in terms of how it fit into the series, in contrast to just the production order.

Originally Posted by starseed1981
My main gripe with the show is that it doesn't really have a narrative. The Wachowski's writing is easily the best prose on Netflix but it gets lost in itself so quick. And their gender fluidity and sexual agenda being forced into the limelight without needing to be is distracting as well. I want to know more about why I should care about these characters and why I should fear this antagonist. That being said, the Xmas special was great. The German guys are awesome.
I disagree with most of this. I don't feel the gender and sexual issues are being "forced" into the narrative; they're just part of the show overall exploring the variety of human experience. Also, I feel like almost the entire first season was character development, showing us more about these characters and getting us to care about them.

Regarding fearing the antagonist, we've already seen them attempt to lobotomize Nomi, and in flashback we saw Whispers lobotomize a little girl. They also kidnapped Riley and attempted to use her to get to the rest of the group. The group itself seems to have massive resources, and either sanction by a lot of governments in the world or the ability to act with impunity within them. They did manipulate Chicago PD to track down and capture Jonas as a "terrorist."

Whispers himself is scary for his ability to (now) find Will wherever in the world he is, and for lengths we've seen him go in the past. He's also disturbing because he's going after his "own kind," people just like him, by assisting in the location and eradication of them.
Old 01-04-17, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,038 Likes on 636 Posts

I liked the 'Christmas' episode. I am disappointed about the recasting of Capheus, though. The new guy is okay, but the original actor really had a more earnest look and persona that fit the character better. I wonder how they'll deal with the Will/Whispers situation. Keeping Will drugged up all the time won't be very interesting. Will our sense8 group try to kill Whispers? Is there any other way to break the connection?
Old 01-04-17, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I liked the 'Christmas' episode. I am disappointed about the recasting of Capheus, though. The new guy is okay, but the original actor really had a more earnest look and persona that fit the character better.
The original actor was more exuberant, and was one of my favorite characters in the first season. The new actor is a bit more reserved. I'll reserve judgement until I see the full 2nd season though. It must not be easy to take over a roll right in the middle of filming (even reshooting some scenes), and it could take a while for the writing to be adjusted to the new actor's strengths.

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I wonder how they'll deal with the Will/Whispers situation. Keeping Will drugged up all the time won't be very interesting. Will our sense8 group try to kill Whispers? Is there any other way to break the connection?
I felt like this special was meant to establish that simply trying to hide Will wasn't going to work, and set up the idea that they're now going to attempt to stop Whispers.

Killing him isn't the only option. Kidnapping and drugging him would work, or possibly blackmailing him so they have an "inside man" into the agency out to get them. Holding his daughter hostage would be one way. Of course, killing him is cleaner.

They also may want to try and free Jonas, although apart from Will who has a connection with him, I'm not sure any of the others would be as invested in getting Jonas back.
Old 01-04-17, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 499 Likes on 294 Posts

Is Whispers like them? I can't remember if that was established. I thought he had found another way, perhaps chemical, to find/interact with the sensates.

Also, I think their only option is to kill the guy. Seems cleanest.
Old 01-04-17, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Is Whispers like them? I can't remember if that was established.
It's pretty established. The only drugs Whispers takes is to block his sensate abilities.

From the special:
Jonas: That's his daughter. Fancies himself quite the family man. Loves pretending to be one of them...

Will: What are the pills?

Jonas: We call them blockers. Cuts you off from the psycellium. Temporarily turns us into them. Keeps hunters like him protected and prisoners like me isolated.....

Will: How many hunters are there like Whispers?

Jonas: [low chuckle] No one is like him. But there are others, collaborators, networks of recruiters working for BPO...
Old 04-10-17, 11:03 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/V8vd0AjdNbQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-10-17, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

New Episodes May 5.

Maybe the thread should be retitiled a "Series Thread" instead of just "Season 1" thread?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.