Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

When did they start reviewing new seasons of continuing shows?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-28-13, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Today's New York Post newsstand edition has a front page photo of an actress from "Game of Thrones" with the words "Thrones New Season" and "Linda Stasi Review: Page 81" printed over it. Here's the link to the rave review of the Season 3 premiere:

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...mvHxDhmHwy7tOL

When did new seasons of shows start getting covered by TV reviewers? Was it "The Sopranos" or "Sex and the City"? Or something even further back? Way back in the pre-cable era when I actually watched network TV, I don't recall new seasons of "Dynasty" or "The Love Boat" or "Starsky and Hutch" getting this kind of attention. The one exception is "Dallas" and that whole "Who Shot J.R.?" commotion, which ended one season and started another. Actually, that might have been the first. But certainly, once upon a time, when "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." and "Bonanza" and "Star Trek" and "Baretta" and the like started new seasons, no one really paid attention.

But now it's a big deal when a popular series starts a new season. Or is that only with cable series like "Thrones," "Sopranos," and "Mad Men"? Does it happen at all with network series, like CSI-'What's-its-name' or "Law and Order" umpteenth variation?

Just curious.

Thanks.
Old 03-28-13, 10:43 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: When did they start reviewing new seasons of continuing shows?

It does seem odd. "I loved the first two seasons of Game of Thrones...wait EW gave season 3 a C-? Guess I'll pass."
Old 03-28-13, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: When did they start reviewing new seasons of continuing shows?

Originally Posted by Groucho
It does seem odd. "I loved the first two seasons of Game of Thrones...wait EW gave season 3 a C-? Guess I'll pass."
It would have been a A+, but for some reason they let the non-Game of thrones guy do the season review, the regular reviewer/recapper James Hibberd didn't do it.

I think shows that have a large net following/cult following seems to get reviews/recaps.