Reload this Page >

House of Cards (Netflix) - Season 1 Discussion Thread - Available 2/1/13

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-20-12, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Upcoming Netflix series; Fincher, Spacey: "House of Cards"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_o...U.S._TV_series)

If you haven't seen the original 1990 BBC series ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Cards ), I highly, highly recommend it. I think it's one of the best things the BBC ever did.

Anyway, this looks very promising. The premise of the show is a completely amoral (even evil) but brilliant "back bench" politician played by Spacey ruthlessly plots to become President. He's an endlessly charming, witty and cynical man who seduces people into trusting him while he slides a knife into their back. In the original BBC series, the anti-hero main character gleefully breaks the fourth wall to explain his mindset or certain aspects of his devious plan. The key attraction of the series is watching the schemes being set up and then executed while gradually coming to root for and sympathize with a complete bastard. It's like a far more sarcastic and humorous "West Wing".

Anyway, I think a remake is a great idea and I think the people involved give this real potential. There's a $100MM budget as well, it's rumored.
Old 04-20-12, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts
Re: Upcoming Netflix series; Fincher, Spacey: "House of Cards"

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-t...ries-news.html

FYI, it's not premiering until the Fall.
Old 02-01-13, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Series Synopsis:

Ruthless and cunning, Congressman Francis Underwood (Oscar® winner Kevin Spacey) and his wife Claire (Robin Wright) stop at nothing to conquer everything. This wicked political drama penetrates the shadowy world of greed, sex, and corruption in modern D.C. Kate Mara (“American Horror Story”) and Corey Stoll (“Midnight in Paris”) costar in the first original series from David Fincher (“The Social Network”) and Beau Willimon (“The Ides of March”).

Synopsis for Chapter 1:

When the newly elected President reneges on a promise, Francis and Claire decide to sever all allegiances and toss the rules out the window.

Chapter 1 was Directed by David Fincher

Written by Beau Willimon (The Ides of March)

Yes, I know. All 13 episodes have been posted. However, due to the fact that this is a heavily serialized drama, I wanted to try doing this as a weekly thread. One episode per week (On Fridays) that way we have time over the course of a week to watch and then share some thoughts. Not everyone here who has Netflix will have the time to watch this right away, so breaking this up as a weekly thread will help those avoid spoilers or those who are hesitant to watch this and want to hear some thoughts from others.

Cool?

Last edited by DJariya; 02-01-13 at 02:16 AM.
Old 02-01-13, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
re: House of Cards (Netflix) - Season 1 Discussion Thread - Available 2/1/13

Sounds good to me
Old 02-01-13, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Maybe we could do 2 threads a week or have each thread cover 2-3 episodes. This way we're not waiting 3 months to openly discuss all of it.
Old 02-01-13, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

FWIW, you can watch the 1st episode for free if you don't have netflix.
Old 02-01-13, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk God

House of Cards -- "Chapter 2-3" -- On Netflix

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Chapter 2

Spoiler:
Francis uses a young reporter, Zoe Barnes, to spin a story that puts the White House on its heels. Claire makes a cold-blooded move at work.

Chapter 3

Spoiler:
Francis must leave union negotiations to deal with a crisis in his home district. Zoe negotiates the politics of being a journalist on the rise.

Episodes 2 & 3 of 13

At the suggestion of a couple of other posters, I went ahead and created a thread for Episodes 2-3.

**Remember, if you have not watched these episodes yet, you're at risk for spoilers reading this thread. **

Someone said they don't want to wait 3 months to talk about the episodes when all of them are available. So, let's try 3 per week.

It's obvious that noone has watched any of these yet. So, 3 episodes per week seems more than reasonable with the other shows you all watch already.
Old 02-01-13, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good.

So is this basically season 3 of Boss right?
Old 02-01-13, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Shit, I'm watching first episode as we speak and it is stellar. First episode is directed by David Fincher. I also like the fact that all 13 episodes are live. It's marathon time!!!
Old 02-01-13, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: House of Cards -- "Chapter 2-3" -- On Netflix

I'm already on episode 2 and it was also directed by David Fincher.
Old 02-02-13, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Everyone has an idea. :-(

I'd have just gone ahead and created a thread for each episode just as if it aired normally. Then people can participate in the threads at their own leisure, the same as how they can view. Trying to figure out how people will view and structure episode groupings accordingly is unnecessary pigeonholing. The people who've seen episode 6 should be able to discuss episode 6 now. And the people who have only seen episode 2 shouldn't have to deal with episode 3 spoilers.

It's a brave new world of "TV" viewing.
Old 02-02-13, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by MikahC
Everyone has an idea. :-(

I'd have just gone ahead and created a thread for each episode just as if it aired normally. Then people can participate in the threads at their own leisure, the same as how they can view. Trying to figure out how people will view and structure episode groupings accordingly is unnecessary pigeonholing. The people who've seen episode 6 should be able to discuss episode 6 now. And the people who have only seen episode 2 shouldn't have to deal with episode 3 spoilers.

It's a brave new world of "TV" viewing.
You can't please everybody.

We had this discussion in a different thread. Hogging the TV Talk forum with separate House of Cards threads would be pointless and have very little to no participation. Not everyone here has Netlflix and not everyone here has the time to watch this right away. There are still a shit load of shows that air during the week (and even some popular ones are getting very little to no participation here). There are some people here who are weeks, if not months behind on their TV viewing, so trying to shoehorn 13 separate threads for a new streaming series is a little overkill.

I'm keeping it 3 episodes at a time and see how it goes.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-02-13 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-02-13, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk God

1st hour was awesome. Felt like a feature film.

Loved Spacey's character Frank Underwood. And I loved how the 1st hour showed how fucking pissed he was for getting screwed out of the Secretary of State position and now his goal is to destroy the President.

I was not bored even for one minute. Politics to me is a very boring subject matter, but I think Fincher handled the material well and showed how slimey politics can be and how dirty it can get. I think he handled it showing alot of sarcasm from Underwood, especially when he would make those remarks to the camera.

at Russo for his DUI arrrest and getting caught with a whore after proclaiming his love for that staffer. I liked how Frank got word of the arrest and is now using it as blackmail.

at how he leaked the "Tax and Spend" version of the Education bill to Zoe. Loved the reaction from everyone.

Robin Wright's character is interesting too. She seems just as determined to do dirty tactics to get ahead.
Old 02-02-13, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Holy shit, this show is fantastic.

Chapter 2 was just as good as the 1st episode.

I love how fucking sadistic Frank is. His wife is just as sadistic as him. Laying off half her non-profit orgranization and firing her office manager. Damn. What a cold bitch.

at Frank fucking over Kern's nomination for Secretary of State. I loved the reaction and outrage to the editorial.

Zoe pretty much as become Frank's little bitch with all the news he is leaking. at the bitter staff Political reporter at the Herald Janine asking "Who are you fucking?"

$10,000 for that whore's silence. That's a high price to pay. Wonder why Stamper is protecting Russo.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-02-13 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-02-13, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Watched it today and like it quite a bit. It has a similar vibe to BOSS, I think. So if you liked that show, you should enjoy this one.
Old 02-02-13, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I knew the show was gonna rock as soon as Spacey broke the 4th wall two minutes into the show. I've never seen the BBC show, so don't know if it follows the same format or not. I'm on episode 9 right now.
Old 02-02-13, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Finished up Chapter 3 today. That fulfills my quota for this week.

Enjoyed it even though it wasn't a Fincher directed episode. I could tell some differences in how Foley shot this one compared to the 1st 2 that Fincher did.

Really enjoyed the scenes where Frank went back to South Carolina to solve that problem with the Peach Tank and that girl's death.

at his little remarks to the camera during his speech at the church about not really knowing his father. Frank is a really good bullshitter.

at how pissed Zoe's boss at the Washington Herald was after her TV interview. Sounds like she will quit the job as Frank was indirectly suggesting.

Kevin Spacey is really carrying the show. This was a great vehicle for his 1st starring role in a TV series.

I have other things to watch that are taking up DVR space. Will watch 4-6 next week. I'll post a thread for that next week as well.
Old 02-02-13, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This show is a joy to watch. So happy I've found a new great show to watch.
Old 02-03-13, 01:35 AM
Suspended

This is a great show but my question is because it's not a network or cable show will it be eligible for awards like Emmy's?
Old 02-03-13, 10:44 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I knew the show was gonna rock as soon as Spacey broke the 4th wall two minutes into the show. I've never seen the BBC show, so don't know if it follows the same format or not.
It does. Ian Richardson was a Shakespearean actor, and it was apparently his idea to have the character confide in the audience (not unlike Richard III). Another great callback to the original series was the use of the catchphrase:

Spoiler:
You might very well think that, I couldn't possibly comment.
Old 02-03-13, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the idea of a weekly thread but there's no way I could watch just one episode a week. Friend turned me on to this yesterday and already watched three episodes. Going to do more today and probably finish all of them out soon.
Old 02-03-13, 10:53 AM

Several of us wanted to put up threads for all the episodes at once in a sub-forum (either singular or grouped), but we got shouted down.
Old 02-03-13, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I like how they handle text messages.
Old 02-03-13, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
I like how they handle text messages.
I've seen that technique done before, but I was struggling to remember the show/movie?
Old 02-03-13, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I dont think Ive ever seen that before.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.