Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Wayward Pines (FOX) premieres 5/14/15 - S: Dillon, Howard, Gugino - Season 1 Thread

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Wayward Pines (FOX) premieres 5/14/15 - S: Dillon, Howard, Gugino - Season 1 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-15, 07:49 AM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Wayward Pines (FOX, premieres 5/14/2015) - S: Dillon, Howard, Gugino -- Series Th

Originally Posted by barelypure
OK, question: Ethan escapes and Pilcher goes after him and tells him they are in the future. In the meantime the teacher is indoctrinating the kids that they've jumped 2000 years into the future. The road guy tells the wife that he saw people in pods. If I buy the whole suspended animation scenario how was the sheriff able to go back and intercept the wife and kid driving in from Seattle to cause their accident and still be around 2000 years later when they emerged. Same question as to the nurse. Both are occupying 2 time lines. The real estate guy said they get 2 to 3 new people every month. I'm assuming they are being released from the pods. But someone, actually a lot of someones over the 2000 years, had to be the caretaker for the pods. If the abbies have taken over the world and it doesn't exist how we know it there has to be some type of time travel. And if there is time travel then just go back to when the abbies started and kill the 1st ones. Problem solved and no Wayward Pines.
Maybe I just over think these shows. It would have made more sense to keep everything present day while the abbies take over. Then the new arrivals could be people escaping to WP.
"borrowed" from another board:

"Its an illusion of the story structure that the events happened in the order they were shown. Here's the order that works:
They took Dillon put him in deep cold till he was needed. Then a few weeks later when the wife and kids go looking for him the sheriff takes them. They get put in the freezer. At some later point, the sheriff is put in the freezer. Two millenia pass, and the sheriff is thawed and put in charge of the town. So is Carla Gugino (though why a trained FBI agent is thawed just to run a toy shop is odd) and everyone else as needed. Years pass. Then Dillon is thawed out, followed by his family. In that order it fits just fine."
Old 06-15-15, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts
Re: Wayward Pines (FOX, premieres 5/14/2015) - S: Dillon, Howard, Gugino -- Series Th

I just caught up with this one over the weekend. Despite the major plot holes (which may or may not ever get filled) I'm enjoying it. I have no knowledge of the books so I don't know what's coming or what to expect next.

Most of my questions have already been raised...how were the sheriff and guy with glasses in both timelines, who cared for the bodies for 2k years, why did they wait so long, why the hell are they actively killing some of the very few humans left on earth (especially women who could have children to further the species) rather than just telling the truth, why do they think keeping adults in the dark is a good idea...
Old 06-16-15, 06:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure I understand why everyone is so confused about the timeline. It seems pretty straightforward to me, although they play it out of order on TV. Blairwitchfan summarized it pretty clearly a post or two ago.
Old 06-16-15, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I like the show. I like the twist. I want to see how it plays out.

I also take comfort in knowing that everything gets wrapped up in the next five episodes. It can be frustrating when you leave the season with so many unanswered questions and in the middle of the plot. Even more heartbreaking when the show gets cancelled. There is definitely a quota of movies and TV shows like that I can handle at a time.
Just caught up on this and totally agree. I hope this becomes a standard for American series. I'd MUCH rather have a relatively strong 10 episodes than 22-23 where half of them didn't matter to the overall storyline at all.

There are holes and assumptions made in this series, but it's fun to just go with it like we had to do with 24. Just enjoy it for what it is and it's a great ride.

Despite several faltering movies, I've always enjoyed M. Night Shyamalan's direction and pacing. Glad to see it on the small screen.
Old 06-26-15, 09:29 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

So this could possibly get a 2nd season:
http://deadline.com/2015/06/wayward-...al-1201452683/
Old 06-26-15, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
Despite several faltering movies, I've always enjoyed M. Night Shyamalan's direction and pacing. Glad to see it on the small screen.
Despite his name being plastered all over it, M Night only directed the first episode. They let Zal Batmanglij do a few episodes too which is cool, I never saw The East but I enjoyed Sound of My Voice (he was using it as training since he has a Netflix show coming out next year with Brit Marling)
Old 06-26-15, 10:17 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

The East was great. I'm really looking forward to the Netflix show.
Old 06-28-15, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Strafe
I'm not sure I understand why everyone is so confused about the timeline. It seems pretty straightforward to me, although they play it out of order on TV. Blairwitchfan summarized it pretty clearly a post or two ago.
This.

I have been following along at http://www.reddit.com/r/waywardpines because the discussion here is kind of dead but man the amount of people who can't follow the timeline is frustrating.

Last edited by SterlingBen; 06-28-15 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-28-15, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Despite his name being plastered all over it, M Night only directed the first episode. They let Zal Batmanglij do a few episodes too which is cool, I never saw The East but I enjoyed Sound of My Voice (he was using it as training since he has a Netflix show coming out next year with Brit Marling)
The East is a very interesting film because it doesn't really follow the standard thriller formula. One of the more memorable films I've seen this decade.

http://www.doblu.com/2013/10/02/the-...lu-ray-review/

Getting back to Wayward Pines, I really hope there are more reveals coming about Pilcher's plans. I don't think his revelation holds up if you think about the massive engineering feat it would require to achieve.
Old 06-28-15, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, we know there's some sort of time travely, future tech thing happening. In this last episode, we see one of the operators clearly speaking to someone from the "past," who is calling in regards to her husband, if I recall.

So, you know... There's that.
Old 06-29-15, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by invisiblegt
Well, we know there's some sort of time travely, future tech thing happening. In this last episode, we see one of the operators clearly speaking to someone from the "past," who is calling in regards to her husband, if I recall.

So, you know... There's that.
There is no time travel.
She was speaking to a likely new member of Wayward Pines, pretending to be an operator.

I don't recall a group A/group B plot in the books, but I like it. It goes a long way towards giving a plausible reason why these people would be kept in the dark.
Old 06-29-15, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 972 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
There is no time travel.
She was speaking to a likely new member of Wayward Pines, pretending to be an operator.

I don't recall a group A/group B plot in the books, but I like it. It goes a long way towards giving a plausible reason why these people would be kept in the dark.
Agreed. I had a big problem with the idea that the town needed to be kept in the dark, but this at least attempts to address the issue. I'm not sure I'm fully on-board with the explanation, but it's no longer something that will prevent me from enjoying the show. I'm still not 100% sure why they need to even bother with the adults if they're never going to go along with the new reality.

I was a little concerned that once the "mystery" was revealed all of the the intrigue would be gone from the show, but I've found myself enjoying the last couple of episodes much more than the previous ones. The faux-Twin Peaks quirkiness of the early episodes never worked for me and I'm glad to leave them behind.
Old 06-29-15, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I still don't understand why, if they only have a limited supply of humans remaining, would they intentionally execute people for just for asking questions. I could see putting them back in stasis if they cause too much trouble, but it seems like a waste to go to all that trouble to save the human race only to kill people for dumb reasons.
Old 06-29-15, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I'm still not 100% sure why they need to even bother with the adults if they're never going to go along with the new reality.
I think they're logic is that they need to "ease" the kids into it. Waking up the kids-only and then schooling them about what's happening might result in the same loss of life that Group A had.

The Group A/B exposition also tells us that they don't have a definite plan. They're just going with whatever happens.

I don't know how it ends. I kind of hope they execute all the adults who aren't 'in the know'.
Old 06-29-15, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I still don't understand why, if they only have a limited supply of humans remaining, would they intentionally execute people for just for asking questions. I could see putting them back in stasis if they cause too much trouble, but it seems like a waste to go to all that trouble to save the human race only to kill people for dumb reasons.
It doesn't make sense at all. They have a finite supply of Humans in freezers and no way to get new ones. The expense of freezing a person for 2 millenia should be astronomical. Killing should be an absolute last resort. They seem to use it as the first option.
Old 06-29-15, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jadzia
It doesn't make sense, which is why I am hoping there is more to be revealed about the nutty leader's plans.
Old 06-29-15, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It doesn't make sense, which is why I am hoping there is more to be revealed about the nutty leader's plans.
When they killed off Juliette Lewis' character (before we knew what was going on with the town), I wondered if perhaps she (and the other reckoned people) were not actually dead. Of course, then they had Matt Dillon find her body.

Still, I was thinking that the writers should have made the whole public execution thing a hoax to scare people in line, but really they are just bringing people over to the other side to help out with the town maintenance. That would have made a lot more sense than what they are doing.

Plus, if people are so curious they want to know what is happening, those are probably the people that would be more valuable to help run things than to live in ignorance in the town.
Old 06-29-15, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

This show might have one of the most contrived plots of all time.

It's really hard for me to swallow the results of group A but I'm willing to accept it. There is a problem I have with the logic behind Pilcher's plan. He has a couple hundred volunteers and he has a bunch of frozen people who were kidnapped. After the results of group A, you would think that Pilcher would alter his plan and realize that most kidnapped people aren't going to accept their fate. At that point, you'd think that he would focus on his volunteers to breed the next generation instead of trying something that's even worse than what he did before.

The whole kidnapping thing makes absolutely no sense to me, seeing that every kidnapped person that we've seen on this show has no valuable skills.

Also, did Pilcher say that the entire town and fence was built in 2 years? That seems pretty amazing to me.
Old 06-29-15, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm on board with the logic.

There was Group A. Pilcher thought that they'd be understanding and was direct and honest about everything that happened. They weren't and killed each other and themselves.

Now he's taking another stab and changed the plan for Group B. The point is that he doesn't yet have a solution. He's doing what he can, hoping that the results are different.

I think there's something to say here about modern plotting. I'm just going to say "superhero movies" or "sci-fi" - but it happens elsewhere. There's been a trend where the characters always know the next move, and don't have to figure things out so much anymore. I'll point out Iron Man. It doesn't matter what the bad guy has, we find out that Tony Stark has been designing 'this' to beat the bad guy.

In the Marvel Cinematic Universe-Wayward Pines crossover, we'd find out that Stark has been developing a 'dream machine' this whole time, where he can communicate with people inside their heads and ease them into the new world. And if they don't want to, he'll have a super cool gadget that blanks their memories so he can try again.

It's like you guys are disappointed that a scientist has to figure out a process to make this work. I find it refreshing. The show still feels a little silly. But really, working with the logic, it's a much realer and less convenient approach to sci-fi devices than we're accustomed to right now.
Old 06-29-15, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I still like the show and the group A/B dichotomy was a valid way to explain some things. The 2000 year timespan does throw me for a loop. It sounds like a number that was pulled out of thin air and wasn't particularly well thought out by the author.
Old 07-03-15, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

How the F did the kids get outside the truck?
Old 07-03-15, 03:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Apparently they were blown out the side of the box frame and yet they survived.

When it was going down I was ready to give the show all kinds of credit for going there (blowing up the kids) but of course they wussed out.
Old 07-03-15, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by barelypure
It just seems like there are too many holes in the story that they are 2000 years into the future. It would have been more believable to keep everything present day with the abbies evolving from some accident or other and then wiping out the surrounding communities.
Who built the wall? Who kept the pod people safe for 2000 years? The pod people would have included the sheriff and Pilcher so who was in charge?
This is my biggest hangup as well.

Remember the food supply truck, where does it come from and where does the food come from? There doesn't appear to be any farms or manufacturing facilities to produce the packaged goods or even clothing.
Not to mention all the machines, cars, and electronic devices that apparently survived two millennia without decaying. The only explanation I can come up with is that they must have a suspended animation process for all the inanimate stuff too. But that would require one hell of a big storage facility to house. And it still leads back to the original question: who were the caretakers for all of this during the intervening 2,000 years?
Old 07-03-15, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I still like the show and the group A/B dichotomy was a valid way to explain some things. The 2000 year timespan does throw me for a loop. It sounds like a number that was pulled out of thin air and wasn't particularly well thought out by the author.
Originally Posted by joliom
This is my biggest hangup as well.

Not to mention all the machines, cars, and electronic devices that apparently survived two millennia without decaying. The only explanation I can come up with is that they must have a suspended animation process for all the inanimate stuff too. But that would require one hell of a big storage facility to house. And it still leads back to the original question: who were the caretakers for all of this during the intervening 2,000 years?
I enjoyed the first two books, but when I really though about 2,000 years later part I realized it wasn't well thought out.

I agree, on the cars, machines, and other things not decaying. From the books, I vaguely remember the inanimate stuff was in storage, but still would have decayed. From the books, I don't recall any caretakers. I think Pilcher, Pope, and Pam were somehow awakened first and then slowly began selecting how to bring out.

Prior to reading the books, I had heard good things about Blake Crouch's work. I gave the trilogy a chance. I might read some of this other books at some point. He admits that he was inspired by Twin Peaks. He was also probably inspired by The Village, but won't admit it.
Old 07-05-15, 01:14 PM

So this group, Group B, doesn't know about Group A. Doesn't know they're 2000 years from their last memory. Doesn't know about the Abbies. However everyone has a mailbox. Why would they have a mailbox. Who are they writing too? Are their letters answered? Do they receive bills? When they file their tax return is Pilcher's volunteers opening them and sending them their refund checks? We haven't seen a bank is there one? Are they printing their own money? At some point the absence of mail should have tipped them off.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.