Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Twin Peaks Returns As Showtime Limited Series From David Lynch & Mark Frost

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-14, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: ‘Twin Peaks’ Returns As Showtime Limited Series From David Lynch & Mark Frost

Originally Posted by story
This is one of those shows I remember trying to watch as a kid when it first came on (I remember being enticed by the commercials saying how it was for mature audiences) and I just didn't get it. Vague recollections of creepy scenes from the movie. Knew just enough about the show to enjoy its parodies on Simpsons and SNL. But I have yet to give it a shot. It's on Netflix, right? Will have to go for it in the next few months.
I know the audience felt it lost steam in the second season, but it's the perfect show for binge-watching. I made it through the entire series in three or four days.
Old 10-06-14, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: ‘Twin Peaks’ Returns As Showtime Limited Series From David Lynch & Mark Frost

Since the show was produced by CBS and the new BD's were just released by CBS, It makes perfect sense for Showtime, a CBS subsidiary, to produce this limited series. At least Lynch and Frost will have the freedom to produce R rated material. I don't think anyone would have been happy if this were picked up by a major network.

I already have Showtime, so I'll be looking out for it in 2 years.
Old 10-06-14, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

I already have Showtime, so I'll be looking out for it in 2 years.
I don't have Showtime, so I'll be subscribing in 2 years.
Old 10-06-14, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
A TV show based on a breastaurant? I guess I'll give it a try.
Basically it's a spinoff of Undercover Boss which had a whole episode set at a Twin Peaks.
Old 10-06-14, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Crazy news. Pretty excited, but I don't want to get myself too hyped. Too bad we have to wait until 2016.
Old 10-06-14, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Adboy151
Wow.

Excited -- never thought it ever happen -- but still such, a long way away.

I'm sure he'll try to bring back and many people as possible as it makes sense storywise, save for Jack Nance (Pete), Don Davis (the Major), Dan O'Herlihy (Andrew) and Lara Flynn Boyle's face (Donna) who have passed. (Hell, just get Moira Kelly again.)

The tough one is Bob since Frank Silva died in the mid-90s.

Piper Laurie (Catherine) and Everett McGill (Big Ed) are retired, but we do know Lynch and McGill had reconnected lately. Gotta have Big Ed back.
Originally Posted by chuckd21
Pete and Andrew died in the bank explosion. That one is easy to explain.
Even if they hadn't father time would certainly have claimed Andrew if not both.

Ray Wise is the obvious choice to play bob
Old 10-06-14, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From Twitter:

Kyle MacLachlan @Kyle_MacLachlan
Better fire up that percolator and find my black suit :-) #Twinpeaks
Old 10-06-14, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Limited series is the best way to go.
"Limited" just means "we'll wait and see how the ratings go" these days. "Under the Dome" is a "limited" series on CBS.

But for now, let's just be happy with what we're getting.
Old 10-06-14, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Getting an actual actor to play BOB this time wouldn't be so bad.
Old 10-06-14, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I know everyone's looking forward to Dale Cooper's return, but I really hope we'll see characters like Harry Truman, Hawk, Andy and Albert Rosenfield return...they were my favorites. I guess they can get Kiefer Sutherland as well, considering his role in FWWM.

Among the cast still living, I doubt we'll see Piper Laurie again (in her 80s and pretty much retired) - although I'm hoping they'll want Richard Beymer back.

As far as "sure things" - I think it's a safe bet that Kyle MacLachlan, Madchen Amick, and Ray Wise (in one form or another) will all be back, as Lynch is pretty close with all three of them. And, of course, we already know he's reached out to Everett McGill.

The real exciting thing is we're going to be introduced to a ton of new actors and characters that we'll probably fall in love with. I wonder if all the hotel rooms in North Bend, WA for next summer just got booked...that place is going to be swamped with tourists/fans - assuming Lynch doesn't shoot in LA (doubtful) or changes locales (really doubtful).
Old 10-06-14, 02:38 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Madchen Amick better back.
Old 10-06-14, 02:39 PM

Sheryl Lee should be back, if only in the Red Room. She's too iconic not to be part of this.
Old 10-06-14, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I will see you in 25 years.

Wow.
Old 10-06-14, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Getting an actual actor to play BOB this time wouldn't be so bad.
Silva was an actor, albeit not very successful outside of this venture. And he did a damn good job at being one of the creepiest characters ever seen on TV. His presence will be sorely missed.
Old 10-06-14, 02:45 PM

Awesome. I have a reason to do a re-watch binge!

Well, given the estimated date I can take my time.
Old 10-06-14, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I guess I may have to get around to watching the originals. At least I've got a year to do it.
Old 10-06-14, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I don't think anyone would have been happy if this were picked up by a major network.
Because the existing CBS episodes really sucked.
Old 10-06-14, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Because the existing CBS episodes really sucked.
I'm saying in general producing shows for OTA hinder the writing process greatly. A lot of TV show runners have expressed this. At least Lynch and Frost have the freedom to make an edgier series than the one from 25-26 years ago.

There's a lot of great network/OTA shows, but certain dramas work better for cable like this.
Old 10-06-14, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

CBS had nothing to do with the original show at the time. It aired on ABC, CBS got the rights due to Paramount acquiring the Republic Pictures catalog. Since CBS and Paramount were corporate siblings they ended up with the Twin Peaks rights.

One of the most interesting things to consider while watching Twin Peaks is the fact that the show was airing on the same network as the TGIF lineup. It's kinda a miracle that it even lasted as long as it did under those circumstances.
Old 10-06-14, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

I have watched Twin Peaks every October since it first aired and my parents recorded it on VHS tapes. Then I got the official DVD set, the Gold Box DVDs and now the BD set. I watched the new BD set in September but with this news I am going to have to watch it again starting tonight.
Old 10-06-14, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So who does Lynch bring back as Donna?
Old 10-06-14, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I read on an Alan Sepinwall interview with Frost that Showtime plans to reair the entire series sometime before the new season begins.
I think that is a smart move on Showtime's part. They will need to reel in the people who haven't watched the original series. I was a kid when the original aired on ABC, but my parents watched it and I remember watching a few episodes with them. In the early 2000s, Bravo aired reruns and I watched those with my parents and I enjoyed the series. Chiller also reran the series when they first started. I know some people who have watched Twin Peaks due to later shows that have been compared to TP.
Old 10-06-14, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Never thought something like this would happen especially after all these years. I thought the rumored but cancelled Graphic Novel would be the closest we'd get to more Twin Peaks. Super excited and connecting it to the whole 25 years thing is a great way to have everything fit together. Lynch involved with every episode too is fantastic. Definitely getting showtime when this airs.
Old 10-06-14, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cartload
So who does Lynch bring back as Donna?
I was wondering about that. Lara Flynn Boyle messed up her face with plastic surgery. Moira Kelly played Donna in Fire Walk With Me, maybe Lynch will call her.

Last edited by writer106; 10-06-14 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-06-14, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant11
I thought the rumored but cancelled Graphic Novel would be the closest we'd get to more Twin Peaks.
As far as I know that was basically something done on spec, I don't think it had any official origin or endorsement of any kind.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.