Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Defiance -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- From creators of Farscape & Alien Nation

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Defiance -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- From creators of Farscape & Alien Nation

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-13, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
re: Defiance -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- From creators of Farscape & Alien Nation

I will keep watching, but how does St. Louis end up underground minus the arch?
Old 04-26-13, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Defiance -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- From creators of Farscape & Alien Nation

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Good question. And how to super advanced aliens who can travel light years not quickly win a war against us low-tech humans? All they would have had to do is introduce any of their alien viruses and wait for us all to die.
Old 04-26-13, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

I was wondering that too and it bugged me after they revealed the underground. I would expect to just see the top of the Arch if that much of STL (high rises) is underground.
Old 04-26-13, 08:25 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Didn't they explain away that by saying it was a "long story" or some such thing when the to-be-sheriff asked that exact question?

Once again, I guess we might never know unless the show sticks around long enough. Nice they are building up a rich universe- lame to explain it away like that.
Old 04-26-13, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Shady12
Alien daughter doesn't make much sense. Pissed that daddy wants to help save a town from destruction, tells him they aren't worth taking a risk for before he goes underground, but she risks her life to save one person who is actually willing to die.
It wasn't so much about him but about herself. She was using him as a means to do what she couldn't do for herself back when her father killed her parents.
Old 04-27-13, 09:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If all the aliens are humanoid oxy-breathers (so far), why terraform at all?
Old 04-28-13, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by resinrats
i call the albino incest people the targaryens.
fyp
Old 04-28-13, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SmithsGuy
If all the aliens are humanoid oxy-breathers (so far), why terraform at all?
Maybe the types of food they consume could be cultivated on Earth without some modification to the planet?

But, yes, given the premise, I expected humans to be wearing breathing gear.
Old 04-30-13, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

No one watched the most recent episode? It's not a good sign when people are already delaying their viewings this soon into a new series. I thought it was another solid episode, though I think it's going to end up being too much of a traditional sci-fi series to garner the popularity of something like Battlestar Galactica. I keep getting a Stargate: Atlantis vibe from it in tone, but with more sex and violence and obviously less spaceships.
Old 04-30-13, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i found the episode somewhat confusing in parts. i may be slow, but did not cop on that the visions she was having were of the other chick. i thought it was her PTSDing her life and her parents, and didn't make the connection it was different people until late. i guess they tried to make that obvious with the dread hair, but it went over my head.

i wonder what their prisons are like. country club or federal, pound me in the ass.

the monsters looked like the Greendale flag, e pluribus anus.
Old 04-30-13, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I liked the grass coat and the ending with the different fathers and their daughters.
Old 04-30-13, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...3-more/180187/

Defiance is actually still doing well for SyFy

2.3M viewers and 0.8 last night. The re-air got 1.1M and 0.4

I read the other day that one of the Producers Michael Taylor left the show.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/defi...-taylor-exits/
Old 04-30-13, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
I read the other day that one of the Producers Michael Taylor left the show.
An Executive Producer exiting so soon rarely augurs in a better future for a show.
Old 05-02-13, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk God

I watched Monday's episode last night. It was a weird episode. I don't think I really followed the plot very well.

What stuck out like a sore thumb was the horrible looking creature effects. They looked so cartoonish.

So far this series doesn't really have a space adventure feel to it. A lot of it is set on earth.
Old 05-03-13, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
So far this series doesn't really have a space adventure feel to it. A lot of it is set on earth.
Why do you think this is supposed to be a space adventure? It's clearly a sci-fi Western.
Old 05-03-13, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
Why do you think this is supposed to be a space adventure? It's clearly a sci-fi Western.
Yes I know it's more of a Science Fiction western. The early promos made it look more like a sci-fi space adventure with some earth scenes. Which is fine, but I know a lot of the people in this forum would prefer an outer space adventure like Battlestar Galactica. It has some very small similarities to Firefly, which I know was also a space western.
Old 05-03-13, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by aynrandgirl
i thought it was an allegorical pseudo biblical narrative with Irisa as the Christ figure and Nolan the New Zealand version of the Holy Ghost.
Old 05-04-13, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I enjoyed the episode well enough. The pacing really reminds me of early Farscape. It's these kind of simplified morality stories, but I expect as the writers figure out the characters it will start to develop stronger overall story arcs.
Old 05-04-13, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Just caught up with all the episodes. I'll keep going with it this season and see how it goes. I'm on board with most of the comments in this thread. It's cliched and occasionally cheap-looking; and my stomach turning seeing a key "star-crossed young love" story. But it's comfortable viewing. The main actors fit into their roles nicely. The setting intrigues me (still a lot that's left unexplained, which I'm guessing will gradually be filled in). I like that the show is a futuristic, high-tech, alien-filled show. There's not a lot of network support for those kinds of shows, but it's exactly the kind of thing that can really transport you away as a viewer.

The game tie-in scared me too, but aside from the commercials for it there doesn't seem to be any impact. For game players, is any major background on the world that you get that we (tv viewers) haven't?
Old 05-06-13, 12:58 PM

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I don't mind if it looks a bit cheap if it means it actually is cheaper to produce. It seems like a lot of scifi series got cancelled in recent years because they were too expensive. I don't need things to look like a summer blockbuster to enjoy a show. I'd rather it look a little cheap and last a few seasons than look awesome and get cut short.
Old 05-07-13, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched the latest episode tonight and was just plain board.
Old 05-07-13, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by riley_dude
So that's what you look like?

Spoiler:
Old 05-07-13, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm enjoying it so far. It would be nice to have a new genre series last for more than a year for a change.
Old 05-07-13, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

It was an ok episode. I missed Irisa. But I like Datak and Stahma Tarr. I think the actor's doing a good job, but I'm not completely buying into Nolan's character. For someone who's new to the city, he comes off as know-it-all and self-righteous. Yeah, I knew that's probably the leading man caricature of these kinds of shows ... but I still don't care for it. Whenever he's arguing with someone, I find myself siding with his opponent (like Datak or Amanda).
Old 05-07-13, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by riley_dude
is that like planking while watching a movie?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.