Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Defiance -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- From creators of Farscape & Alien Nation

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Defiance -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- From creators of Farscape & Alien Nation

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-13, 12:00 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
re: Defiance -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- From creators of Farscape & Alien Nation

Syfy has renewed the series for Season 2.

Production on the new 13-episode cycle will begin August in Toronto, with an eye on a 2014 premiere.

“Bringing the rich world of Defiance to life has been an incredible team effort. We couldn’t ask for better partners than [showrunner] Kevin Murphy, his amazing cast and crew, and Trion Worlds,” Syfy boss Mark Stern said in a statement. “We can’t wait to see where they take us in the second season.”

The audience for Defiance‘s April 15 premiere was the second largest in Syfy history in the coveted 18-49 demo, while the companion videogame has amassed more than 1 million registered accounts after launching on three platforms simultaneously.
Old 05-10-13, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
re: Defiance -- Season 1 Discussion Thread -- From creators of Farscape & Alien Nation

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I watched the latest episode tonight and was just plain board.
Same. I was 30 minutes in and deleted it and my series pass. Sci-Fi Westerns just aren't my cup of tea.
Old 05-10-13, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I watched the latest episode tonight and was just plain board.
That's exactly what I was thinking during the episode, just watched it last night. Was thinking, man, I'm bored..and spent most of the hour trying to entertain myself on my phone.
Old 05-10-13, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I like the show so far. I doubt it will re-define the genre but the characters have potential. A weakness for Julie Benz certainly doesn't hurt my enjoyment of Defiance.
Old 05-10-13, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Cool that it got a 2nd season.

I know this show isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it's good that a weekly science fiction is actually getting another season.
Old 05-10-13, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah I'm glad it got a second season. I like having a weekly sci fi show to watch.
Old 05-11-13, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Yup, I'm still on board.
Old 05-11-13, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,004 Likes on 624 Posts

I made a post after the last episode but it seems to have gotten lost in the aether. Anyways, the gist of it was:

I think Jaime Murray is doing an outstanding job in this. I've never heard her speak with anything but a UK accent, but the American (or whatever you want to call it) accent she uses in this sounds very natural. Combine that with the makeup and she disappears in the role--I would never have guessed it was her if I hadn't been told. I think her character is the most interesting so far, too. She's a power player, but she's much more subtle and clever than her husband or most of his adversaries.

As for the rest of the show, I'm liking it so far. Despite the broad cliches, they seem to be developing the characters and the internal conflicts fairly well. I hope they devote some time to expanding on the past and how things came to be the way they are.

Glad to hear it's been renewed. I'm not bored, so I'm on board.
Old 05-11-13, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's odd, I remember reading your post.
Old 05-11-13, 06:17 PM

So far I'm enjoying it. It sits on my DVR for a while so it's not a must see show but when I watch it I still wanna give it a chance to establish itself.

Jaime Murray is the best part of the show. I love her delivery as if she's unsure and sweet but being directly manipulative. Grant IS pretty sexy though. And gotta love Julie Benz in everything she does.

Very happy it's getting a second season n
Old 05-15-13, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was hoping in the Irisa backstory episode, she would have killed the albino dude, but we are left unsure if he was the right guy or not. Maybe he does not break character, and spill the beans.
Old 05-15-13, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Actually, he confessed at the end. So it was definitely him. She just let him go because a mundane life would be worse for him.

This episode was a tad awkward to me. I liked it but something felt off.

I know that Nolan and the mayor will hook up (it was practically spelled out in the pilot and every episode since) but I'm actually hoping they don't. As much as I like Julie Benz, I feel Nolan makes a better match with Mia Kirshner's character.

Anyhow, I'm still on board for season two.
Old 05-15-13, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm hoping that he gets to have them both like the ambassador in this episode. Oh wait, I meant that for me.
Old 05-15-13, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought they were hinting at that.
Old 05-16-13, 05:28 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

This show is just not working for me... I'm trying... so hard... but I think I hate it.
Old 05-17-13, 06:56 PM

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
This show is just not working for me... I'm trying... so hard... but I think I hate it.
I'm the opposite. I thought the show was okay, but I was very impressed by the last two episodes. I like it more now.
Old 05-18-13, 09:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Actually, he confessed at the end. So it was definitely him. She just let him go because a mundane life would be worse for him.
i was just hoping they would not have told us, and made her a more questionable and morally ambiguous character. Watching future episodes wondering whether she killed an innocent man.

i am happy to see that when Aliens finally land on earth, all our parts are compatible and we can have sex with them.
Old 05-26-13, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
i am happy to see that when Aliens finally land on earth, all our parts are compatible and we can have sex with them.
That's pretty much been the way things work with most sci-fi series though. At least starting with that trailblazer Captain Kirk, who's never shy about showing alien species Earth mating habits. In Farscape, everyone was having sex like bunnies ... except poor Rygel

Just caught up with the series on the DVR. The stories in the individual episodes seem rather routine (how many times has that "stagecoach in peril" plot been used in Westerns?). And while I think the actor is doing a good job, I'm still having trouble with Nolan's character ... one week he's busting balls over arms trafficking even though it helps the city, and the next he's gunning down an unarmed fugitive in cold blood rather than turn him over to the authorities.

But the details of the world (and glimpses of things to come) still have me intrigued. A question for people playing the game and/or exploring online resources more ... is there more background available? I agree with a comment I read on imdb ... watching this show feels like you picked up a series halfway though its run. We still know almost nothing about the war and the deal with all these aliens. It's probably smart of the producers to reveal this over time (since that's one of the things keeping me watching). But I want this series to start incorporating these things into the stories ... instead of having the episodes be recycled western/action plots.

Last edited by brainee; 05-26-13 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-26-13, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Seems like an ok show. Nothing great but watchable. Best thing going for it is likable hero character you can get behind. Reminds me of second rate, maybe third rate, Babylon 5. Different alien species crammed together in small local with hero(es) trying to maintain sense of order among squabbles and cultural differences. Seems Earth Republic is being set up as primary villain. Just like on B5. Small group, undergunned, up against big bad Earth government.
I know zilch about the game. Wouldn't surprise me if whatever is in the mine is super ancient alien tech/ship. Nothing to do with races depicted in show and is far more advanced/powerful than any of these alien races have.
When the big bad Earth Republic shows up with massive army to attack Defiance, the people in Defiance get the ancient tech in the mine working and kick the Earth Republic's ass.
Then the show can shift gears when these ancient aliens, who are none too friendly, show up because they were alerted when their tech was activated.
Old 05-28-13, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is the sort of show I love, but I think it's extremely boring and done poorly. Trying to convince myself to stop watching now but I want to like it.
Old 05-28-13, 10:17 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I gave up on it about 2 weeks ago. Just couldn't get into it at all, unfortunately.
Old 05-28-13, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't give up if Rockne is involved. I owe him too much from Farscape.
Old 06-04-13, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm out. I just can't stay interested. Even knowing that S2 has been greenlit, I'm just bored watching this show (I keep picking up the iPad to surf while trying to stay interested). I'm a huge fan of sci-fi, but this just isn't doing it for me. Sigh...
Old 06-04-13, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,004 Likes on 624 Posts

I'm still on the fence. There's good and bad. The young (teenage?) couple is terrible. I wish they would write them off the show. And I'm not really caring so far about the other stuff going on with the mining family and the old lady from LOST. But I like several of the other characters--the mayor, her sister, Nolan, Stahma (Jaime Murray). I even like Irisa, though she's kind of borderline.

In this latest episode, I was really starting to roll my eyes at the whole mysticism/magic that was seemingly allowing the dead leader of that Irathient gang to resurrect and continue to heal and survive normally fatal injuries so he could act on his vision to save Defiance from the falling ship. But then they somewhat redeemed themselves with the explanation of the smart computer from the ship and the nanites. I thought that was actually pretty cool. However, there is still some element of mysticism regarding Irisa's visions, and that is bothersome.
Old 06-04-13, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have loved a scene right when the old lady is leaving, the son walks past and waves that golden trinkit in front of her and tells her he's chucking it in mine's blue lava, just to see her reaction.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.