Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Breaking Bad -- "Hazard Pay" -- 7/29/12

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-12, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Breaking Bad -- "Hazard Pay" -- 7/29/12

So now we know how the M60 that Walt purchased at the beginning of episode one fits in. Walt is gonna go out like Tony Montana... "say hello to my little friend"!
Old 07-30-12, 08:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AVP77
I understood it as a threat to Jesse, as in 'Don't cook by yourself, or else'. It came a bit out of left field, but I guess they're trying to show Walt losing his grip?
Walt mentioned that maybe Gus killed Victor because he was trying to cook when he wasn't supposed to and over stepped his boundaries. I took Walt's comment to Jesse as meaning Mike handling the business when he really hasn't done it before as over stepping his boundaries and the same thing needs to happen to Mike. I don't know.
Old 07-30-12, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy shit!

I had to send a message to a friend after the first 15 minutes or so. I told him that he needed to watch the episode ASAP!

The scenes between Walt and Mike are so tense.

I like how it seems, at least in Twitter, that Bryan Cranston is more like the guy in MITM than Walter White.
Old 07-30-12, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
Walt's idea to cook while homes are being fumigated seems good but also could be a fair bit risky. If someone opened the equipment containers or if a neighbor saw some oddities going on while the fumigation is being done.
And the direction of this episode made a point to show steam being vented from the house... I'm thinking that might be important later. As in, someone is going to wonder why gas is being vented from a house that's being fumigated.
Old 07-30-12, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
And the direction of this episode made a point to show steam being vented from the house... I'm thinking that might be important later. As in, someone is going to wonder why gas is being vented from a house that's being fumigated.
Good point. I also wondered about that.
Old 07-30-12, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm. Could be, but it looked like more of an exposition shot of how the new mobile lab worked to me. But you never know with this show.

Skyylip finally telling that shrew Marie to shut her irritating mouth was nice. That Skarlap is yet again figuring out a way to be a **** about everything is no surprise.

Walt geeking on Scarface. Watching that film's final scene, where it all comes apart and the drug lord who went too far is wasting everyone with a machine gun? "Everyone gets killed in this." That is definitely a foreshadowing scene.

Walt is so openly envious of Gus. It's funny how that keeps coming up.

Walt getting testy with Mike. He's planning on killing Mike. That's what that stuff in the last scene was. "Taking liberties that weren't his to take. Maybe he flew too close to the sun... got his throat cut.", is Mike taking their money(liberties) to pay off his guys. The point of contention in the previous scene. Also a creation of the magnet heist. That thing just keeps paying off.

That little smug look as he hugged that shrew Marie, he knew he had played her, that was classic.
Old 07-30-12, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

What was Jesse paying for, separately from the others? Also why didn't Walt pay back Jesse for the magnets.
Old 07-30-12, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I thought they did pay Jesse back and thanked him.

Walt clearly hates paying so much for Mike's jammed-up guys, and it's hard to blame him, but he has to know that without Mike he's got nothing--Mike seemed to turn that batch into a large pile of cash fairly quickly.

Comotose Sklyar is incredibly annoying. I hope they move that long soon.
Old 07-30-12, 11:02 AM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I loved Skinny Pete showing his musical chops on the keyboard at the music store. Who knew?

Thos.
Old 07-30-12, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

The respect Walt is showing Jesse is pretty interesting. First he's not worried about how Jesse deals with telling his girlfriend about the meth cooking and then when Jesse offers to pay double for the legacy fund, Walt didn't let him and instead put his money in.

Walt clearly cares for Jesse. Maybe not as much as he cares about himself and his money but Jesse is important to him. I wonder if Jesse will use that against Walt down the line.

Originally Posted by bluetoast
What was Jesse paying for, separately from the others? Also why didn't Walt pay back Jesse for the magnets.
I believe they did. I think Jesse covered the set up cost for the lab and the magnets. Mike and Walt paid him back for that.

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
I wasn't paying attention at the end, but during that last conversation between Walt and Jesse, Walt implied that they should kill Mike, correct?
I believe it was either that or he was implying that they kill the ones they are paying off.
Old 07-30-12, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
I wasn't paying attention at the end, but during that last conversation between Walt and Jesse, Walt implied that they should kill Mike, correct?

Someone thought that Walt was referring to himself

http://www.vulture.com/2012/07/break...azard-pay.html

It suggests a dawning self-awareness on Walt's part that he's in over his head. Maybe the cash-subtraction exercise shook his complacency. But if this is evidence of Walt thinking clearly about his predicament, is there any chance that it'll sink in? Walt invokes the story of Icarus, but in his mind, what's the takeaway? That sooner or later Walt's own wax wings will melt and send him plunging to earth, or that Icarus was a fool who deserved what he got because he didn't know how hot the sun was?
Old 07-30-12, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jesse grabbing that tortilla off the assembly line had me for some reason. That move was just so him.
Old 07-30-12, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Yeah, they wouldn't have shown that if it wasn't going to foreshadow something important.

As for the icarus analogy, I thought it meant the guys who are being paid for silence. Victor was overstepping his bounds by wanting to be a cook. The other guys are overstepping their bounds by blackmailing Walt & Jesse.

Walt still has the ricin and probably doesn't want to do anything that will obviously arouse Mike's suspicion.
Old 07-30-12, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
The respect Walt is showing Jesse is pretty interesting. First he's not worried about how Jesse deals with telling his girlfriend about the meth cooking and then when Jesse offers to pay double for the legacy fund, Walt didn't let him and instead put his money in.
I got the impression that that was just Walt manipulating Jesse under the guise of showing him respect.
Old 07-30-12, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I believe it was either that or he was implying that they kill the ones they are paying off.
I also got the impression Walt was going to go after the guys on the list. It shows how opposite Walt and Mike really are. I wonder how the hell he's gonna hit the guy in prison?

My favorite line in the episode was, Mike handles the business, I handle Mike. Good stuff.
Old 07-30-12, 02:07 PM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
I got the impression that that was just Walt manipulating Jesse under the guise of showing him respect.
This was my impression as well. He couldn't have cared less that she left him; maybe that's even what Walt wanted to happen. I mean really: Walt sharing his wisdom about honesty in relationships? Come on...
Old 07-30-12, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh
Jesse grabbing that tortilla off the assembly line had me for some reason. That move was just so him.
As soon as they went to that site I was thinking, the FDA can inspect that place anytime they want.
Old 07-30-12, 02:27 PM

Walt always seems so smart ... until his greed kicks in. I'm sure most people would jump at the chance at the payday he's making, even with operating costs. If Jesse survives, he has the makings of an uber-boss ... he has changed from not caring about anything but money to being curious, understanding how things work, and a willingness to not allow himself to be consumed by money. He really seems to be doing it because he likes to.
Old 07-30-12, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

After the car wash scene and after being woken by gunshots and walking in on the scene in the living room, I was really surprised that Skylark didn't completely lose it and start strangling Walt in front of her two children. I predict that she will attempt (or start planning) to kill Walt next week. Fight or flight.

Also, I loved how they morphed the sound of the gun shots from Scarface into the sound of the money machine. Walt did a nice job managing Mike in the count room.
Old 07-30-12, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by uteotw
I thought they did pay Jesse back and thanked him.

Walt clearly hates paying so much for Mike's jammed-up guys, and it's hard to blame him, but he has to know that without Mike he's got nothing--Mike seemed to turn that batch into a large pile of cash fairly quickly.

Comotose Sklyar is incredibly annoying. I hope they move that long soon.
From what I heard, the money that was set aside for Jesse was for "start-up", which I figure was for the equipment that went into the lab they just used. Wasn't clear if that the magnet was included as "start-up".
Old 07-30-12, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

when they were running the scenario about how many cooks they could do, they said 3-4 a month, right? basically that was how many times the pest control did fumigation. so, if walt was making $135k (forgot the exact amount) after all expenses for each cook (I assume that's what it was, since it didn't make a ton of sense to show an entire month's worth of cooking), he's still making about $400k a month (give or take), which is nearly $5 million a year. wasn't his deal about $7 million with gus? so he's getting a little less, yet he's his own boss now. seems like that's a win/win to me.
Old 07-30-12, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by rabbit77
I also got the impression Walt was going to go after the guys on the list. It shows how opposite Walt and Mike really are. I wonder how the hell he's gonna hit the guy in prison?
Using the Ricin somehow?
Old 07-30-12, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
when they were running the scenario about how many cooks they could do, they said 3-4 a month, right? basically that was how many times the pest control did fumigation. so, if walt was making $135k (forgot the exact amount) after all expenses for each cook (I assume that's what it was, since it didn't make a ton of sense to show an entire month's worth of cooking), he's still making about $400k a month (give or take), which is nearly $5 million a year. wasn't his deal about $7 million with gus? so he's getting a little less, yet he's his own boss now. seems like that's a win/win to me.
3-4 houses a week. They'll pick the house that they think would make the best cooking spot.
Old 07-30-12, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
3-4 houses a week. They'll pick the house that they think would make the best cooking spot.
ok, i wasn't sure. so 3-4 a week and that $100k+ is his cut after 1 cook? walt is going to be making about a million a month. man, he's getting greedy as hell.
Old 07-30-12, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think they said that the fumigation company bug bombs 3-4 houses a week. From those 3-4 houses, they'll pick the one house that looks like it's the least risky.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.