Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-17-12, 08:02 PM   #1
DJariya
DVD Talk Hero

30 Rock -- Season Finale -- "What will happen to the gang next year?" -- 5/17/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2012-01-11

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
JACK (ALEC BALDWIN) AND AVERY (ELIZABETH BANKS) PLAN TO RENEW THEIR VOWS. CRISS (JAMES MARSDEN) WANTS TO PROVE TO LIZ (TINA FEY) THAT HE'S THE ONE. Determined to prove his marriage has survived Avery's kidnapping unscathed, Jack (Alec Baldwin) asks Liz (Fey) to officiate their vow renewal. Meanwhile, Criss (Marsden) tries to convince Liz that he's worth sticking around for. Tracy (Tracy Morgan) meets with Cornel West (guest star Cornel West) to discuss his influence as a black celebrity.

Episode 22 of 22

Remember this was renewed for a final 13 episode season.
Old 05-17-12, 08:19 PM   #2
grenier
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: 30 Rock -- Season Finale -- "What will happen to the gang next year?" -- 5/17/12

Didn't really feel like a season finale to me, kind of a dull episode.
Old 05-17-12, 09:10 PM   #3
dolphinboy
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: 30 Rock -- Season Finale -- "What will happen to the gang next year?" -- 5/17/12

I thought the president of NBC went on record saying none of the 3 comedies that got 13 episodes next year is guaranteed to be ending. Should any of the 3 perform well or other NBC shows fail to impress (what's new?), that one or all of the 3 could get an order for more episodes/seasons.

That said, I don't think AB would sign on for another season (and Fey wouldn't go on without him), but I took that comment from NBC to mean it was still possible for a full final season of 30 Rock.

"At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."
Old 05-17-12, 09:12 PM   #4
DJariya
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinboy View Post
I thought the president of NBC went on record saying none of the 3 comedies that got 13 episodes next year is guaranteed to be ending. Should any of the 3 perform well or other NBC shows fail to impress (what's new?), that one or all of the 3 could get an order for more episodes/seasons.

That said, I don't think AB would sign on for another season (and Fey wouldn't go on without him), but I took that comment from NBC to mean it was still possible for a full final season of 30 Rock.
A day after he said that, he confirmed that 30 Rock is indeed a 13 episode final season.
Old 05-17-12, 09:27 PM   #5
dolphinboy
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
A day after he said that, he confirmed that 30 Rock is indeed a 13 episode final season.
Thanks.

That makes me think that both Alec and Tina were also ready to move on and finish the show off.

Hopefully, with the show coming to an end for sure and only 13 shows to write they'll get back to being more consistent.

"At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."
Old 05-18-12, 12:40 AM   #6
riley_dude
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Loved the shout out to Stephen J. cannel at the end.
Old 05-18-12, 08:31 AM   #7
RoyalTea
DVD Talk Legend

The plant/baby montage was a clear sign that it's time for this show to end.
Old 05-18-12, 08:52 AM   #8
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

good finale... I will miss Avery tho. HAWT.

The show's premise leads itself to coming back a couple times of year for holiday specials and such... that'd be pretty cool, 2-3 "30 Rock" hour long shows a year...
Old 05-18-12, 09:46 AM   #9
boogieman03
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe View Post
Agreed. I enjoyed the finale.
Old 05-18-12, 02:48 PM   #10
madcougar
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I pretty much stopped watching on a regular basis last season. My DVR caught the last few minutes however and it looked funny enough. Will have to watch it online or something.
Old 05-18-12, 05:03 PM   #11
JeffTheAlpaca

I hope it gets extended next season beyond 13 shows.

Even if it is not up to par with previous seasons I will miss it and it will be sad when it leaves.

I blame the writers. Tina never writes any of the shows anymore and there is a new writer every week.

I hope Tina does another NBC sitcom hopefully with some old SNL alums.

"Oh, poor baby. Can't hack it in the big city? Gonna move to the bay area now, pretend that that was your dream the whole time? Have fun always carrying a light sweater."

Tracy calling Cornell West Questlove lol.

"My black role models were Darth Vader, ninjas, and some black licorice I tried to make into the shape of my dad."
Old 05-18-12, 11:21 PM   #12
The Bus
DVD Talk Godfather

A great and touching episode. I liked the plant bit, but the SF line was the best.

PSN: Chiwotweiler
Old 05-18-12, 11:28 PM   #13
PopcornTreeCt
DVD Talk Hero

I kinda hope Jack and Liz hook up during a drunken escapade. Make it the series finale, I just want to see it.
Old 05-19-12, 01:01 AM   #14
Groucho

No love for the Homeland references?

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 05-21-12, 09:16 AM   #15
Xander
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought it was okay, nothing really stuck out at me.

Except Hazel. I fucking HATE her. She needs to die.

Now think real hard. You been bird-dogging this township a while now. They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear by my pretty floral bonnet: I will end you.
Old 05-21-12, 11:09 AM   #16
madcougar
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
Except Hazel. I fucking HATE her. She needs to die.
She can take Kenneth with her.
Old 05-21-12, 11:28 AM   #17
RUSF18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Loved it. My fiancee hasn't seen it, and we're planning on watching it over the summer, so I was hoping they wouldn't spoil anything. Came close with the first line about
Spoiler:
Scott being forced to beat your best friend to death
but she didn't catch it.
Old 05-21-12, 11:41 AM   #18
Draven
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I thought it was great - and subtle enough that the only way you'd get it is if you actually watched Homeland.
Old 05-21-12, 03:40 PM   #19
JeffTheAlpaca

Quote:
I kinda hope Jack and Liz hook up during a drunken escapade. Make it the series finale, I just want to see it.
Tina Fey said that would probably never happen but that was during the shows peak years so maybe she changes her stance?
Old 05-21-12, 03:57 PM   #20
Troy Stiffler
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Phoenix, AZ, Passively angry as heck but gosh darn I'll sit back and take it you know, whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcougar View Post
She can take Kenneth with her.
I don't mind the characters. But it would totally make sense to have them caught up in some murder/suicide/cult problem.
Old 05-23-12, 12:22 PM   #21
Goat3001
DVD Talk Legend

Decent finale. Nothing spectacular. 13 episodes next season will be perfect for this show. This season was good but it did have some holes, hopefully 13 episodes will make everything tighter.

I do love 30 Rock but I also think it's run it's course and it's time for it to end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe View Post
Lucky for you, Elizabeth Banks does every movie she's asked to do.

Quote:
The show's premise leads itself to coming back a couple times of year for holiday specials and such... that'd be pretty cool, 2-3 "30 Rock" hour long shows a year...
That's a great point and I would love to see that. It doesn't even need to be 2-3 a year, just one live special for the holidays would be great. Too bad NBC would never do it... because they're NBC.
Old 05-23-12, 03:20 PM   #22
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

^As much as I like banks, I also don't know what compels you to do Man on a Ledge and Meet Dave, though it's probably the same thing that made her do Slither, The 40 Year Old Virgin, and The Hunger Games.

And damn did Wet Hot American Summer have a great cast.
Old 05-23-12, 03:37 PM   #23
JeffTheAlpaca

Quote:
That's a great point and I would love to see that. It doesn't even need to be 2-3 a year, just one live special for the holidays would be great. Too bad NBC would never do it... because they're NBC.
But I don't remember any show in modern times that would just return for holiday specials?

I hope Tina Feys gets a new NBC show after 30 Rock ends since she can't return to SNL.