Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Survivor: One World -- "Perception is Not Always Reality" - Season Finale -- 5/13/12

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be the Sole Survivor?
Alicia
3.70%
Chelsea
7.41%
Christina
0%
Kim
74.07%
Sabrina
14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Survivor: One World -- "Perception is Not Always Reality" - Season Finale -- 5/13/12

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-12, 01:08 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Survivor: One World -- "Perception is Not Always Reality" - Season Finale -- 5/13

Did it seem to anyone else like Chelsea was only half-heartedly making a pitch to win and that she made almost as much effort to throw the win to Kim? It's like she felt that she was only there because of Kim (which she said) and therefore owed it to Kim to support her cause as much as possible.

When Jonas asked Chelsea to describe her biggest move in the game (outside of going along with Kim), she took the opportunity to take the heat off Kim for Kat's departure. Likewise, she continually expressed admiration for Kim's game and how Kim had connected with each player (vs. her own "cold-hearted" game).

Also, it was pretty disconcerting to see the last few tribals totally revolving around Kim. It's as though only her vote counted even when they still had five left (a 3-1 vote for anyone would have made Kim's vote irrelevant). Even Jeff kept referring to the person(s) Kim wanted to take with her (as though it were a foregone conclusion that Kim would be in the finals), and talked about all of the people that Kim had sent to the jury (maybe it wasn't a big secret that Kim was masterminding everything by that point but it still was a reminder to everyone).

I also wish Jeff would quit giving advice during challenges. Didn't like him telling Alicia that she was helping other contestants by untying their bags and telling Sab & Christie that they "had no chance" in the challenge even though both Kim & Alicia ended up having to go back to check their numbers...meaning that it was possible that either of Sab or Christie MIGHT have been able to catch up and luck out of their first attempt at the combination. One can argue that they should just ignore him and keep going, but it still doesn't seem fair for him to do that.

I am amazed that neither Kim's nor Christina's final stack of bowls didn't fall over during the last challenge.

Last edited by creekdipper; 05-14-12 at 01:16 AM.
Old 05-14-12, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: Survivor: One World -- "Perception is Not Always Reality" - Season Finale -- 5/13

Yeah, not a tense finale, but at least both challenges were very close. I was pretty sure that Kim had it in the bag once she won the final immunity, but was prepared to be outraged when Sabrina was getting votes. She was pathetic in the challenges and apparently did nothing around camp as well. At least she was able to beat the "angry black woman" stereotype of this show.

Really impressed with the way Kim swept through the challenges, but I guess she *had* taken out the physical competition by that time. She truly had one of the best runs for any contestant. I happened to rewatch the scene when she was convincing Alicia to vote out her ally Tarzan, and it was masterful. She was also one of the few likable characters this season.

Alicia looked horrific with her first cleanup, and Kat looked terrible (too much eye makeup) after her first one. I echo the pleasant surprise at her jury speech, though.

I know Penner is a little overexposed, but I really liked him in his second run (he and Eliza really repaired their images that season) and would much prefer him to Colton. I'd be psyched for Skupin, too, and black Russell would be good. Too bad about Courtney, though.

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Also, it was pretty disconcerting to see the last few tribals totally revolving around Kim. It's as though only her vote counted even when they still had five left (a 3-1 vote for anyone would have made Kim's vote irrelevant). Even Jeff kept referring to the person(s) Kim wanted to take with her (as though it were a foregone conclusion that Kim would be in the finals), and talked about all of the people that Kim had sent to the jury (maybe it wasn't a big secret that Kim was masterminding everything by that point but it still was a reminder to everyone).
I thought this was strange as well.
Old 05-14-12, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
I don't like Asian women much, but yes. Yes she is.
Originally Posted by Timber
I'm don't really go Asian either but Christina certainly is hot. Not hotter than Chelsea or Kat but hot none the less.

There are men on this planet that don't go for Asian women? Consider my mind blown.

Originally Posted by davidh777
Kat looked terrible (too much eye makeup) after her first one.
She actually looked better in her no-makeup Survivor mode. Sad that she needs another heart surgery.
Old 05-14-12, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Colton is an ass.

"Hey when I left people thought it got boring."

Edit to add: I love Colton's mom.
He's not wrong.
Old 05-14-12, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Worst season ever. The best part was when Kat, maybe the dumbest twat ever on the show, was blindsided.
Old 05-14-12, 08:22 AM

Predictable but still entertaining. Agree with creekdipper that Chelsea's final speech was basically a gigantic pitch for Kim. It's funny how these Final 3 votes are always split between two people, although I'm surprised it was Kim and Sabrina. Not that Chelsea did much, but Sabrina (somehow) did even less. Troyzan appeared pretty bitter, even at the reunion ("Outwitted and outdumbed!").

Here's Jeff take on this season:

I think this season was a bit of a letdown. No fault of the Survivors, we are the producers. We just didn’t have the standout moments and characters needed for a great season. We do next season.
Glad they're finally leaving Samoa for next season. What was this, the 5th season they filmed there? I've seen a lot of people hoping it's not Penner returning, but I really enjoyed him in both incarnations. Would be great to have Mike Skupin back...on the fence about everyone else. I read somewhere that the timing doesn't work out with Colton making an appearance. If they've already filmed S25, then he has put on a lot of weight (and then some) for this finale.
Old 05-14-12, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Boring finale. Was hoping for more Kat stupidity in the final tribal.

Alicia cleans up pretty well.
Old 05-14-12, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Yup. Worst season I've ever watched. Fast-forwarded through much of the 2 hours and it was still a waste of time. Totally agree they need to go back to just regular folks and not caricatures.

When Jonas said Chelsea was voted the hottest, did Kim mutter something like "Oh thanks"?

Also I really wish they'd take the million-dollar winner out of the $100,000 running, but oh well.
Old 05-14-12, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by uteotw

When Jonas said Chelsea was voted the hottest, did Kim mutter something like "Oh thanks"?
Yeah, she made some catty coment.
Old 05-14-12, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Yup. Worst season I've ever watched. Fast-forwarded through much of the 2 hours and it was still a waste of time.
It usually takes me about an hour to watch the 2-hours. The first 10 minutes is pure waste between the season recap and commercials. Always FF through the fallen heroes part.
Old 05-14-12, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Yup. Worst season I've ever watched. Fast-forwarded through much of the 2 hours and it was still a waste of time.
Ditto. Just did not give a shit about any of these people.

Still not sure why Alicia handed the game to Kim at final 6.

Even the jury was boring and not bitter/hostile.
Old 05-14-12, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by beyond
I read somewhere that the timing doesn't work out with Colton making an appearance.
Thank GOD. I was afraid after seeing the previews for next season that he would be one of the three & I'd have to skip next season. I fear for the safety of my TV screen if I ever have to see his stupid smug face on it ever again.
Old 05-14-12, 10:10 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Kim definitely deserved the win, but watching the "I Heart Kim" lovefest continue into the final tribal council killed any sort of suspense about the outcome and frankly just wasn't very fun to watch. What made it worse is that the few people who did seem to harbor some resentment toward the final three expressed themselves in pathetic ways... Troyzan went with a lame cryptic threat, Leif (and I think someone else) went the self-aggrandizing "Explain in details your reasoning/strategy for voting me out" route (an approach which might have made sense coming from Kat or Alicia, not so much from someone who was clearly just fodder in Kim's path).

The reunion was probably the worst one since the time Rosie O'Donnell hosted it. Kim was a bore in the reunion. Jeff went soft on Tarzan, missing the obvious: "What do your patients/colleagues think after seeing you wearing Kat's panties on your head?" They spent a substantial chunk of time trying (and failing) to redeem that spoiled, insincere jackass Colton. (But at the same time, what else did they have to work with?) They really need to shake this show up somehow, and not just with lame gimmicks.
Old 05-14-12, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie W
Thank GOD. I was afraid after seeing the previews for next season that he would be one of the three & I'd have to skip next season. I fear for the safety of my TV screen if I ever have to see his stupid smug face on it ever again.
Hahah! I hear that.

Reality Blurred seems to think it will be:

Spoiler:

Mike Skupin, Jonathan Penner, and Russell Swan.

Your TV is safe for another season
Old 05-14-12, 11:05 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Spoiler:

I can live with that.
Old 05-14-12, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Hahah! I hear that.

Spoiler:

One of those has already been given a "second chance" as a returning favorite in Micronesia.
Old 05-14-12, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
One of those has already been given a "second chance" as a returning favorite in Micronesia.
Spoiler:
Yeah, but he was taken out of the game DURING his second chance, so it still fits.
Old 05-14-12, 01:11 PM
Suspended

Didn't even waste my time watching this. Like Red Dog, I usually just FF through most of it, but couldn't even bring myself to do that. Looked online for the results afterwards. Sounds like I made the right choice.

If next season ends up being so predictable and full of players that are just along for the ride, I'm probably going to be done with the show after (starting out) watching every season so far. Just isn't enjoyable to me anymore.
Old 05-14-12, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

'Survivor' finale lowest-rated ever

Colton may have seemed like an awful human being, but he was right about one thing: Survivor did get dull after he left the show.

The Survivor: One World finale (10.2 million viewers, 2.8 adults 18-49 rating) was down a steep 30 percent from last spring’s closer to rank as the show’s lowest-rated finale ever (but, hey, at least the right person won). The reunion show (8.1 million, 2.4) was also the lowest-rated ever.
Old 05-14-12, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am not sure where the sudden anger towards predictable boots come from.

With the exception of about 6 or 7 of the 24 seasons most seasons are Pagonging's like this. The seasons like Pearl Islands and Amazon will always be the anomoly.

I think the mistake was the Producers telegraphing Kim's win in the editing so obviously when they clearly had another angle to work with. Alicia's relationship with Kat,Tarzan and Christina put her in a position where she should have made the f3 but she got totally played by Kim not just at f6 but she made a huge mistake at F7 in taking out Kat.
Old 05-14-12, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cardsfan111

I really wish Survivor would go back to casting every-day folks to compete as opposed to recruiting these cartoon characters. However, I'm not sure it's going to happen.
Let's last night you had a winner who one could easily describe as an every day normal person and was an actual fan of the show who was not a recruit. The entire f3 were altogether good likeable nice girls and you had the lowest rated finale and the lowest rated season ever and fans complaining the show got "boring" when the unlikeable a hole Colton left.

Nicuaraga which was full of cartoon charecters and big personalities with the male version of Kat as the winner and the grumpy old curmudgeon Jane wins the fan favorite award and is the highest rated out of the last 5 or 6 seasons.

I wonder what route casting will continue to go?
Old 05-14-12, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Howie2000
I wonder what route casting will continue to go?
Haven't the next two seasons already been filmed? Who knows if CBS will renew it past spring 2013 if the rating keep following the current trend. If JP's talk show is a success, he may not want to return either.
Old 05-14-12, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Well the winner has already gotten pushed from the Early Show to The Talk. That can't be a good sign.
Old 05-14-12, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
Haven't the next two seasons already been filmed? Who knows if CBS will renew it past spring 2013 if the rating keep following the current trend. If JP's talk show is a success, he may not want to return either.
It's been pretty well established in this forum that Survivor will last forever, even after Probost leaves.
Old 05-14-12, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by madcougar
It's been pretty well established in this forum that Survivor will last forever, even after Probost leaves.
This season was the all time low for the series and it probably still made CBS tens of millions and would still be highly profitable even if it dropped from a 2.9 to a 1.9.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.