Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones -- "The Old Gods and the New" -- 5/06/12

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones -- "The Old Gods and the New" -- 5/06/12

Old 05-07-12, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- "The Old Gods and the New" -- 5/06/12

Originally Posted by Decker
EW's season 2 preview mentioned that a series regular from season 1 would be getting nude for the first time in season 2. I was afraid it would be Cat.
Or Brienne...
Old 05-07-12, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by starman9000
Yes, I already said they took it over with a small force. The point was the presentation reverted back to season 1 where there are like 10 people total in some of these places. Even having Theon explain how they took it over instead of showing it was pretty sucky. That was an action sequence they should have been able to pull off even on a TV show budget.
<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:southparkstudios.com:103824" width="360" height="293" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed>

Best Friends Forever
Get More: SOUTH
PARK
more...

Old 05-07-12, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This series is in full throttle right now. Great episode. I liked:

- Arya and Tywin's scene, again Williams holds her own against Dance, amazing.
- Arya and Littlefinger. What Littlefinger was saying was actually really important but it was so hard to pay attention due to the context.
- The death of Amory Lorch: "My Lord..." *dies*.
- Ygritte: "I didn't know I was moving!"
- Tonks... wow.
- Theon approaching Joffrey-levels of douchery
- Joffrey gets slapped... again!
- Dog Clegane saving Sansa, reminded me a bit of Ahnold's first appearance in the first Terminator
- Emilia Clarke's acting was a season high for her
- The variety of changes vs. the book, all of which are good ideas and tighten things up a bit.

Overall, not much to complain about here. The show hasn't really put a foot wrong yet.
Old 05-07-12, 11:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Thrush
What did the note say that Arya stole? I paused it and still couldn't make it out other than a few words.
Free burgers at White Castle.
Old 05-07-12, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Coming to this thread makes me so aware of the fact that I can keep track of very few names on this show. I don't have very much of a problem following the story while I'm watching it, but I find it very difficult to follow these threads!

With that said, the riot scene was pretty intense. I loved seeing that king get pelted with shit, even better seeing him get slapped. He deserves that and more. Pretty good episode.
Old 05-07-12, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Hiro11
- Joffrey gets slapped... again!
With Joffrey's character (abuse Sansa for Robbs victories, kill the riot crowd, etc.), and taking into account the exchange between he and his mother when he was redecorating the throne room and she rebuked him, would Tyrion have gotten away with this? Why would Joffrey be afraid of the Imp? I must be missing something.
Old 05-07-12, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tyrion is the only person who isn't afraid of Joffrey and I think deep down, Joffrey realizes what Tyrion is advising is correct so he doesn't punish him. I don't think Tyrion should push him too far though. The king is cray cray!
Old 05-07-12, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Let's not forget Tywin. He wouldn't take kindly to his idiot grandson attacking his own (albeit a dwarf) son and personal representative as acting Hand of the King.
Old 05-07-12, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ketamine
I'm not sure what your issue is. Sure you say they took it with a small group then complain that they took it with a small group. That is how it went down.
When did I complain that they took it with a small force?
Old 05-07-12, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

When did I complain that they took it with a small force?
To be honest there was a post before yours that was complaining about size of the force that took Winterfell and then I took your statement of "Last season it felt that way a lot, but the Winterfell scene just felt a little off (like he took it over with a couple guys, and then they escaped by killing his only guard)" as complaining about size but maybe that wasn't your point. In reality my quoting a post would have been better with that one instead of yours.

My response was in general to those who didn't like that winterfell was taken with only a few men and then how easy it was to get away. It seems very logical to me and is true to the source material.
Old 05-07-12, 12:43 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by barelypure
With Joffrey's character (abuse Sansa for Robbs victories, kill the riot crowd, etc.), and taking into account the exchange between he and his mother when he was redecorating the throne room and she rebuked him, would Tyrion have gotten away with this? Why would Joffrey be afraid of the Imp? I must be missing something.
Power resides where men believe it resides.
Old 05-07-12, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, yeah, I don't have any problem with the way it was taken.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just posting a minor annoyance on my end about the scale of the show, I won't be losing any sleep over it. I really like Theon in the whole sequence, as loathing as he is.
Old 05-07-12, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Coming to this thread makes me so aware of the fact that I can keep track of very few names on this show. I don't have very much of a problem following the story while I'm watching it, but I find it very difficult to follow these threads!
When I rewatched season 1 I did it with the captions on. Seeing the names helped keep them straight. Same as you I still understood well enough what was going on, but it did fill in some detail gaps, especially when some minor characters who were not in a given scene were named.
Old 05-07-12, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wishbone

Old 05-07-12, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Little Finger totally knew that was arya, that is why he said daughters at Kings Landing.
Old 05-07-12, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
When I rewatched season 1 I did it with the captions on. Seeing the names helped keep them straight. Same as you I still understood well enough what was going on, but it did fill in some detail gaps, especially when some minor characters who were not in a given scene were named.
Good idea. Thanks. I can definitely see where that would help.
Old 05-07-12, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Little Finger totally knew that was arya, that is why he said daughters at Kings Landing.
I have no idea what this means.
Old 05-07-12, 02:29 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Astrofan
No, he's not spoiling anything.

Towards the end of that scene he brings up the value of the Stark daughters.

I'm just wondering (and no, book readers, don't spoil it for me ) if the letter she found was purposely left there for her to find...seems a bit careless for Tywin to leave it laying there.
Old 05-07-12, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by aktick
No, he's not spoiling anything.

Towards the end of that scene he brings up the value of the Stark daughters.

I'm just wondering (and no, book readers, don't spoil it for me ) if the letter she found was purposely left there for her to find...seems a bit careless for Tywin to leave it laying there.
I too was wondering if it was a test and the info is bad intel purposely left there to see about Arya's intentions .... I'll pleasently wait to find out
Old 05-07-12, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, let's finally translate that letter (spoilerized for size):

Closeup 1 (Left):
Spoiler:

Closeup 2 (Right):
Spoiler:
Old 05-07-12, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's the wide shot that we might be able to piece together:

Map of the area in question for reference (no spoilers, just hiding it):
Spoiler:

So, with the above detail, I see:

Marching ten thousand wolves to Lannisport through
the tooth. Estimate to reach you by week's end. Young Wolf
Robb Stark moving troops south by coast. ??? ???? and
turn east at Silverhill.

Last edited by pinata242; 05-07-12 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-07-12, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Astrofan
Sorry that didn't come out right, what I was saying was when Little Finger was talking about the daughters in kings landing (When he was talking to Tywin). He knew the servant girl was arya.
Old 05-07-12, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just kicks ass week after week. Another great episode.

We are reminded that though intelligent and mature for her age, she is still very much a little girl. Running with that message out like that. stammering and lying poorly when surprised, that actress is really delivering in her role.
Old 05-07-12, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ephemeral_Life
Interesting ending... Bran (via Hodor) and Rickon just walking out of Winterfell because Tonks has sex with Theon? How does that even make sense?
It makes sense. Give it time.
It makes perfect sense without even giving it time. She distracted Theon, made sure she was asleep, then helped Bran/Hodor/Rickon escape. What's so confusing about that? The only thing I can't understand is why they didn't take Maester Luwin with them.

Originally Posted by mwbmis
They certainly held back the Hound/Sansa scenes to relatively late in the season. He seemed to understand her last season.
I've been saying since Episode #10 that I feel the Hound is fond of Sansa and even feels sorry for her. I think there's a bond growing there, and I hope they take it further...I could see the Hound killing Joffrey or defying him at some point in relation to Sansa.

Given how wild Shaggy Dog is supposed to be, I'm surprised he would be that quiet in the Winterfell escape.
Probably should've been put in spoiler, as that's definitely a book reference.

Originally Posted by Thrush
Sansa is literally the only thing keeping Robb from chopping Jaimey into little pieces. That makes her extremely valuable. He may feel sorry for her on some level. But considering how he just shipped off his Niece, I dont think Tyrion lets sentiment color his actions much. I think the Hound actually cares about her.
Actually, Arya is as well. As for the Hound/Sansa, see above...I agree completely.

Still, I enjoyed the episode quite a bit, especially King's Landing and Qarth. Continue to love Arya, but I didn't feel her little dance with Littlefinger really worked.
Littlefinger TOTALLY recognized her.

Theon took Winterfell with a handful of men because most of the able bodied men are with Rob fighting the Lanisters while the 200 men left over to guard Winterfell were sent to deal with the attack on Torrhen Square. They really don't have the strength to hold it and that is why Theon asked for a raven to be sent to his sister asking for 500 men. It's not hard to believe that they are very short on guards, especially at night. From what we saw last episode, Theon likely had less than 20 men.
See, this part I didn't understand. Ser Rodrick took the 200 men to deal with Torrhen Square, did he not? So how did Theon capture him? Surely he wouldn't come back and leave the 200 men in Torrhen Square? And if he were still in Winterfell, then the 200 men would be too?
Old 05-07-12, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by abrg923
Probably should've been put in spoiler, as that's definitely a book reference.
It was referenced in the season one finale when Bran and Osha went into the crypts because of his dream that Ned was down there. Shaggydog nearly attacked them because Rickon was down there too.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.