TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dish Network Says It Will Drop AMC in Summer

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-12, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Dish Network Says It Will Drop AMC in Summer

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
ESPN type money? Yeah that is not going to fly.
It's not that much, but they are asking for a double in licensing fees - stating that they are creating more and more original programming. But while AMC is creating some fantastic programming on average the network is performing about as well as CW in terms the A18-48 demo. IMO they should have waited 2 more years to justify the cost.
Old 06-06-12, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

The problem with that is that in two years Mad Men and Breaking Bad will be off or almost off the air. They probably need to strike for money now while those shows and Walking Dead are hot. Who knows what they lineup will look like once MM and BB are gone.
Old 06-06-12, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm in full support of any bad blood between content providers and the cable/satellite companies. All the more incentive for the content providers to start offering internet subscriptions. Or an opportunity for Netflix or Hulu to bring them into the fold.
Old 06-06-12, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by critterdvd
It's not that much, but they are asking for a double in licensing fees - stating that they are creating more and more original programming. But while AMC is creating some fantastic programming on average the network is performing about as well as CW in terms the A18-48 demo. IMO they should have waited 2 more years to justify the cost.
Yeah but in 2 years no more madmen or Breaking bad correct?
Old 06-06-12, 01:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
The problem with that is that in two years Mad Men and Breaking Bad will be off or almost off the air. They probably need to strike for money now while those shows and Walking Dead are hot. Who knows what they lineup will look like once MM and BB are gone.
Especially if they keep replacing those shows with shit like "The Killing", "Rubicon" and "Hell on Wheels"
Old 06-06-12, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by hahn
I'm in full support of any bad blood between content providers and the cable/satellite companies. All the more incentive for the content providers to start offering internet subscriptions. Or an opportunity for Netflix or Hulu to bring them into the fold.
Netflix already has the hit AMC shows, which is purportedly one reason why Dish is less inclined to pay more for the network. When you have less than a handful of shows that anyone wants to watch and they're all on Netflix, your network doesn't offer much added value to a cable/sat provider.
Old 06-06-12, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Netflix doesn't offer current season programming of any AMC series, and for TWD at least, they still only have season 1.

I got an email from AMC this morning begging for me to support their position and complain to Dish. Problem is, I don't support them, and I won't be complaining to Dish. If I have to lose TWD, so be it. Their demands are far too high.
Old 06-06-12, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Netflix doesn't offer current season programming of any AMC series, and for TWD at least, they still only have season 1.
No, Netflix doesn't have current seasons. Amazon and iTunes do though, as far as I know. I think Dish's argument on this particular point is just a broad statement that the tiny number of shows AMC has that people care about have past and present episodes available across various streaming outlets, so the network has hardly any value to a provider.
Old 06-06-12, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's true, and it does strengthen Dish's position the negotiation with AMC.
Old 06-06-12, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

AMC needs a hit. I think they should go after the rights to produce a series based on The Kingkiller Chronicle. I haven't read them, but if the Portland hipsters are right, it's even better than the Game of Thrones books. If there's one thing Portland hipsters actually know, it's their fantasy stories. Amazon reviews are pretty good too (average 4.5 stars for Book 1).
Old 06-06-12, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by RoboDad
That is because NETFLIX is not interested in carrying current seasons of TV shows, unless they themselves are the producers. The licensing costs are way too high and they don't have a business model to support it. They are very happy being a "syndication hub" for lack of a better phrase. They will get additional seasons directly after the DVDs for that season are released ("The Killing" was day and date on netflix w/ the blu-ray).

And "Mad Men" will be around in 2 years, for their final season.
Old 06-06-12, 05:21 PM
Banned

AMC needs a hit.
They already have the #1 hit series on Cable TV.

And the KingKiller Chronicle books are absolute shit. Terrible geek-pandering shit without any of the faux "respectability" something like GoT has. You may as well make a Mistborn series.
Old 06-06-12, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
They already have the #1 hit series on Cable TV.

And the KingKiller Chronicle books are absolute shit. Terrible geek-pandering shit without any of the faux "respectability" something like GoT has. You may as well make a Mistborn series.
In the context of this thread, they need a NEW hit that will sustain their momentum into the next 5 years. Their best shows are getting close to retirement age. Breaking Bad only has 1 season left (2 years). Matthew Weiner has publicly stated that he wants the show to end after 2 more seasons (not including this one). None of the other AMC shows seem like they're going to last more than 2 more years. So that's what I mean by a new hit.

And the prevailing critical and reader reviews seem to disagree with your opinion of the KingKiller Chronicle. Not saying that you're wrong, but there at least seems to at least be a good storyline (well, one with popular appeal) there to work with for a TV series.
Old 06-06-12, 11:18 PM
Banned

Not saying that you're wrong, but there at least seems to at least be a good storyline (well, one with popular appeal) there to work with for a TV series.
You should probably read the books before you talk them up and quote the 5-star Amazon reviews so readily. Twilight also has a storyline with popular appeal. They could just make a TV series of that. It would be about as well-written, and probably get better ratings.

And I quote:

"Kvothe tells a story of himself that paints him as basically a god among men, a prodigy who excels at nearly anything he attempts. While he is not flawless, every time he makes a mistake I get the feeling it is only to show us how capable he is at overcoming mistakes. This book is like a really long Chuck Norris joke."
Old 06-07-12, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You should probably read the books before you talk them up and quote the 5-star Amazon reviews so readily. Twilight also has a storyline with popular appeal. They could just make a TV series of that. It would be about as well-written, and probably get better ratings.

And I quote:

"Kvothe tells a story of himself that paints him as basically a god among men, a prodigy who excels at nearly anything he attempts. While he is not flawless, every time he makes a mistake I get the feeling it is only to show us how capable he is at overcoming mistakes. This book is like a really long Chuck Norris joke."
So one quote (without source) validates your (SINGLE person) opinion? Look, I'm not going to get into a protracted debate about this book series because that was not the point of my post. I would like to see more fantasy genre series being produced, preferably by content providers who have a track record of producing quality series. AMC fits that bill as the content providers. KingKiller comes up in discussions about Game of Thrones, so I threw it out there as an example, NOT to vouch for it. It's not only popular, but critic reviews have been good (much better than Twilight - which is essentially a teen romance novel series). You don't like it? Fine, pick another.
Old 06-07-12, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Twilight also has a storyline with popular appeal. They could just make a TV series of that. It would be about as well-written, and probably get better ratings.
They did. Vampire Diaries.
Old 06-12-12, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am eager to see what AMC is planning to do when it comes to original programming within the next couple of years. They do need a new hit.
Old 06-29-12, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...n-walking-dead

http://www.sfgate.com/business/bloom...ni-3673257.php

Looks like they're following through. They dropped Mad Men for "Bikini Barbershop" (I shit you not!). They're also dropping The Walking Dead. I'd be pretty upset if I was a Dish subscriber.
Old 06-29-12, 12:54 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm also looking forward to seeing how or if AMC will react to this if it moves forward. AMC would stand to lose $84M/year if Dish drops them.
Old 10-21-12, 02:59 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

It's done.

AMC will return tonight.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/cabl...medium=twitter
Old 10-21-12, 03:11 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Excellent Now to see if AMC is re-airing the Walking Dead premiere tonight before episode 2.
Old 10-21-12, 03:27 PM
Suspended

131 is currently some lame music channel.
Old 10-21-12, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Now to see if AMC is re-airing the Walking Dead premiere tonight before episode 2.
They always show the previous episode right before the new episode - so "Seed" will be shown again tonight
from 8:00 pm EST to 9:00 pm EST.

Last edited by LaxBandit; 10-21-12 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-21-12, 03:29 PM
Suspended

Which means a few hours....hmm.
Old 10-21-12, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Dish had to pay $700 million in the deal!

but they also got a 500 Mhz of spectrum from Voom, so that is probably worth every penny.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.