Old 04-01-12, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Shameless -- Season Finale -- "Fiona Interrupted" -- 4/01/12

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2012-01-08

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Jimmy gets back into Fiona's good graces and decides to have her meet his family; Frank plots to free Monica from the psychiatric institution; and Jody and Sheila attempt to hide Karen's newborn in the second-season finale. Later, Ian runs into the guy he slept with; and the late Eddie's long-awaited insurance check arrives.

Episode 12 of 12

Promo:

<param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=1525068406001&playerID=29474209001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAAAA9pg~,GnOHJwU2r3sFsJRSf1bvZ_iPYmWg8io0&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1525068406001&playerID=29474209001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAAAA9pg~,GnOHJwU2r3sFsJRSf1bvZ_iPYmWg8io0&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>
Old 04-01-12, 06:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Shameless -- Season Finale -- "Fiona Interrupted" -- 4/01/12

Really good penultimate episode, so hoping the finale will deliver as well.

I really liked the finale last season. The final few minutes set to "Littlething" by Jimmy Eat World were very powerful. Whatever happened to Fiona working at the tax preparation place anyway?
Old 04-01-12, 09:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought that was a really weak finale, especially after last week's amazing episode.
Old 04-02-12, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Started off with too much crying, but quickly became a great episode. I really wasn't sure about this show last season, but it's gotten great. I still hate Frank for killing Butterface and think he's a fucking murderer and will never accept "redemption" for him because the writers really had him cross the line with that one.. but Fiona is still compelling as hell and the kids are funny and the show is just great and kinky and dirty and awesome. I do think they toned down the Fiona nudity this year, which is a shame.
Old 04-02-12, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

I was surprised to see Jenna Elfman turn up in this.

When Frank was comparing himself and Monica to famous couples, it would have been funny if someone said "Sid & Nancy."

So what kind of school gives a Physics AP final on what must have been the Monday after Thanksgiving?
Old 04-02-12, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Really solid finale IMO. Lots of compelling moments. I can see why it was called "Fiona Interrupted"

What the hell is the deal with Ian and his ability to attract "In the closet" married men? After seeing Harry Hamlin last week, I knew there had to be some twist with his character. A little surprised that he turned out to be Jimmy's Dad.

Karen on the other hand annoyed the crap out of me. She was such a fucking C*** in this episode that I was actually glad Sheila decided to keep the baby over her. I know she's probably coming back next season, but frankly it wouldn't bother me if she's gone.

Frank continues to be a piece of shit. After he attacked Ian about the beer, I hope Fiona keeps him out of the house for good.

You know if Bill Macy ever wanted to leave the show, I think it could easily survive and be carried by Emmy Rossum. She's just fantastic and I agree that the Fiona character is really compelling. I'd like to see Frank get hit by a truck or something.

With Fiona having her GED and now back together with Jimmy, I hope we'll see development with her next season being the matriarch of the family.

A little issue I had was Lip being out of school for how many weeks? Then he just casually walks in and takes that test.

Lip getting to snuggle with Estefania. I selfishly hope we get to see her again even though she doesn't really fit into the scheme of things.
Old 04-02-12, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Very solid finale imho. Great set ups for next year. I also loved Lip & Estefania.
Old 04-02-12, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Ian should have beat the shit out of Frank.
Old 04-02-12, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya

You know if Bill Macy ever wanted to leave the show, I think it could easily survive and be carried by Emmy Rossum. She's just fantastic and I agree that the Fiona character is really compelling. I'd like to see Frank get hit by a truck or something.
I can't agree. Frank provides a much needed comic relief. And he's an intergral part to quite a number of stories.
Old 04-02-12, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm sure Bill Macy needs a regular job now that his wife will be unemployed.
Old 04-03-12, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
What the hell is the deal with Ian and his ability to attract "In the closet" married men? After seeing Harry Hamlin last week, I knew there had to be some twist with his character. A little surprised that he turned out to be Jimmy's Dad.
I just don't see the big conflict here though. Jimmy hates his parents, so it really wouldn't be a big deal to him if his father was cheating on his mother and is gay to boot. Ian was trying to tell Fiona a couple times, but she probably would care eve less.

Frank continues to be a piece of shit. After he attacked Ian about the beer, I hope Fiona keeps him out of the house for good.
After all that Frank's put the family through, Fiona still keeps him around - so it's doubtful this will be the final straw. The writers feel they need the Frank character around - so they'll keep Fiona as a weak idiot who puts up with him at the risk of the familys well-being.
Old 04-03-12, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So was there any real point to the Amy Smart character? There seemed to be a real storyline there with her and her husband when they introduced her in season 1. She seemed wasted in season 2 for the most part.

Last edited by windom; 04-03-12 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-03-12, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^^ Agreed. Seems like they didn't have a very clear vision for her this season. Once she came clean to Finona her storyline just abruptly disappeared.
Old 04-04-12, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Maybe she refused to do nudity
Old 04-07-12, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm glad season two got its act together after the wobbly start (anyone remember Lip's cop detector he built in episode one?)

I loved the first season of this show so much that the first ep of S02 just seemed to be trying too hard to cram quirky stuff in that it almost lost me as a viewer.

But I love the characters, and this season really came together beautifully after that weak open.

Once again, I will miss the Gallaghers until their (hopeful) return for season three...
Old 04-07-12, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

No hopeful about it, Shameless is already renewed.
Old 04-09-12, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ugh. I had forgotten that I read a few months ago that Jenna Elfman was in this episode. Imagine my shock and disdain when she popped up. Can't stand her. Hopefully (fingers crossed) that she is never on the show again. This show is too good for her.

I did not see the Ian/Harry Hamlin character reveal coming, but I don't really love the idea. It's just too perfect and easy in terms of storytelling. Like the Elfman deal - this show could do better.

Aside from the those two negatives I really enjoyed the episode and the season in general (except for Amy Smart. A wasted storyline and not a terribly great actress, IMO).

And, wow, Karen is the most vile character I've ever seen on television. Tony Soprano is a saint compared to this chick!
Old 02-23-13, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry to come in late (just caught the season on DVD), but doesn't anyone think it's a little too much of a coincidence that, out of all the guys in Chicago, Ian just happens to hook up with Jimmy's dad, just before the two families meet?
Old 02-24-13, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aintnosin
Sorry to come in late (just caught the season on DVD), but doesn't anyone think it's a little too much of a coincidence that, out of all the guys in Chicago, Ian just happens to hook up with Jimmy's dad, just before the two families meet?
Yeah if you'd have read my post (the one above yours) you'd see that I thought the same thing.