TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Beware the Batman.

Old 07-14-13, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
Re: Beware the Batman.

Originally Posted by Deftones
anyone else they are pretty much telegraphing the "bodyguard" being Robin? her motorcycle was pretty much a dead giveaway for that.
That's not her they're telegraphing her being.

Spoiler:
Its Katana from The Outsiders. But she'll pretty much be filling the Robin role.
Old 07-14-13, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 781 Likes on 655 Posts

anyone else they are pretty much telegraphing the "bodyguard" being Robin? her motorcycle was pretty much a dead giveaway for that.
This is not much of a spoiler, but don't expect to see Robin in this series unless it runs years and years. Beware the Batman is heavily influenced by Nolan's version of the character in his trilogy of films, which also didn't have a Robin.

Before the shooting massacre at Dark Knight Rises, this series was supposed to be a very edgy and adult interpretation of the character aimed at teenagers. Hollywood today doesn't think Robin fits in with Batman's grim demeanor.
Old 07-14-13, 09:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, anyone who recognizes her name from the comics knows she isn't Robin.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Hollywood today doesn't think Robin fits in with Batman's grim demeanor.
He doesn't. There's also the unfortunate fact that Batman in the comics keeps getting these kids killed. You'd think he'd stop by now.
Old 07-15-13, 12:36 AM
Banned

Hollywood today doesn't think Robin fits in with Batman's grim demeanor.
Yeah, its sad. Most people only think of Burt Ward as Robin when they think of Robin. Robin has come a long long way since those days, just like Batman has come a long way since Adam West portrayed him. Its unfortunate that Robin has never overcome that stereotype in the eyes of the general public.

I would love to see Damian Wayne in a movie or animated series. He would show the general public that Robin can be a badass.
Old 07-15-13, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
No, anyone who recognizes her name from the comics knows she isn't Robin.

He doesn't. There's also the unfortunate fact that Batman in the comics keeps getting these kids killed. You'd think he'd stop by now.
I'd think having a brightly colored target to deflect bullets from you would be a strategic move. Bonus points for orphans (or whose parent is a criminal) nobody would miss, and who you can adopt (or heck, if you're the biological parent).
Old 07-16-13, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I always viewed Robin as Bruce's tacit acknowledgement that he would eventually need a replacement as Batman, either from his death or old age.
Old 07-21-13, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Batman's legs were crazy thin. Other than that, animation is fine.
Old 07-22-13, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The second episode with Magpie was much better than the pilot. I still have major problems with the art design for Batman, apparently they decided to throw the rules of anatomy out the window for Batman and no one else on the show.

There is also something very weird going on with Batman's exposed portion of his face and lips. It practically looks like he has lip gloss or lipstick on.
Old 07-24-13, 08:16 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

I'm enjoying it so far. I missed out on most of the earlier Batman animated series, need to get on them someday.
Old 07-24-13, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm actually cruising through the Batman Beyond series on Netflix with my daughter, and am now watching this with her. good quality time!
Old 07-28-13, 06:39 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

BtB is pretty decent. I watched the first three eps today, and enjoyed them a great deal!
Old 07-28-13, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

The third episode is still sitting on my DVR so I'll have to watch it tonight after Dexter. So far it's quite a bit better than I thought and the second episode was better than the first (which I still liked). I liked the fact that there was even some continuity between the two episodes and that the show isn't just going to be a bunch of stand alone episodes. Seems like a pretty decent show if you ask me. Just really wish the animation wasn't CG.
Old 07-28-13, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 208 Likes on 184 Posts

This third episode with "Anarky" was definitely the weakest of the bunch, -and the most like what I first feared the show would be like: Having two teens being mentored by the villain and given super paint guns and chain saws seemed a bit juvenile in its approach (which is fine for a Saturday morning show, just not one I'd bother with). Also, my indifference to the plot made the animation seem even more doll-like and annoying. I'm not giving up, but one more like this...
Old 07-29-13, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Anarky episode was embarrassing in spots. I really wish DC Comics would move their cartoons away from Cartoon Network, in spite of the corporate relationship.

Why did they change Anarky's colors up? In the comics I always remember him in a red costume. He looks like a Moon Knight rip-off on this show.
Old 07-29-13, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

The Anarky episode was embarrassing in spots. I really wish DC Comics would move their cartoons away from Cartoon Network, in spite of the corporate relationship.

Why did they change Anarky's colors up? In the comics I always remember him in a red costume. He looks like a Moon Knight rip-off on this show.
Why not move them to the Saturday night Toonami block?
Old 07-29-13, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
CN's intended audience for Toonami is 18-24 males. Young kids are the intended demo for the Saturday Morning slot, as a vehicle to push toy sales.
Old 07-29-13, 03:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
Because they want people to actually watch them?
Old 07-29-13, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Where could they go, though? The Hub is basically run by Hasbro and doesn't seem to have as much market penetration (and I still don't have it in HD), Disney stuff is owned by Disney which owns Marvel, and I don't think the traditional networks even have big blocks of cartoons anymore. What's left? Nick and PBS?
Old 07-30-13, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
Where could they go, though? The Hub is basically run by Hasbro and doesn't seem to have as much market penetration (and I still don't have it in HD), Disney stuff is owned by Disney which owns Marvel, and I don't think the traditional networks even have big blocks of cartoons anymore. What's left? Nick and PBS?
I haven't really thought through all of the implications, but Fox sprung to mind. That 7:30 slot before their parade of animated comedies on Sundays wouldn't be horrible.
Old 08-04-13, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The latest episode focusing on Katana was a very good episode. This has been an erratic show with uneven quality. Two of the episodes were very good to even great, while the other two were poorly done.

This episode also had the funniest DC short yet, about Lois Lane attempting to interview Batman.

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 08-05-13 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-06-13, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

The anarky episode was rather odd, the last one was good. I like Batman costume. The character designs are fine overall however the animation feels a bit stiff at times and the world they live in feels fake.
Old 09-07-13, 02:57 PM

I am liking this series.
Old 09-07-13, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I need to see at least one or two more episodes...I saw one and it didn't catch me...
Old 03-30-14, 05:52 AM

*sigh*

"CARTOON NETWORK 2014-2015 Schedule Reveals BEWARE THE BATMAN Missing, No New DC Shows"
http://www.newsarama.com/20535-carto...-dc-shows.html
Old 03-30-14, 06:53 AM

Crap!!!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.