Reload this Page >

Beware the Batman.

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Beware the Batman.

Old 04-18-12, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts
Re: Beware the Batman.

I know it's only a short piece but the CGI animation style doesn't do much for me.
Old 04-19-12, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I actually like the character design for Batman from what I've seen. It's different, but i like it. But not a fan of the overall CGI style.
Old 04-19-12, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

Yeah, Magpie liked the shiny objects. IIRC the story ended a little sadly, with her being highly neurotic/obsessive.
It always struck me as odd that #400 was this huge effort filled with talent, then 401 was pretty lame.
Old 04-19-12, 04:26 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Yeah, Magpie liked the shiny objects. IIRC the story ended a little sadly, with her being highly neurotic/obsessive.
It always struck me as odd that #400 was this huge effort filled with talent, then 401 was pretty lame.
Its because for about a year after Crisis on Infinite Earths, DC didn't really know what they were doing. COIE was 1985-1986 yet the Batman reboot didn't happen until a year later in #404-407 with Frank Miller's Year One. So for that year in between the Batman books were stuck in this weird state of being somewhere between Pre and Post Crisis. #400 was essentially an epic send-off to pre-Crisis Batman similar to pre-Crisis Superman's send-off in Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow. Then #401-403 were basically fill-in stories until Frank Miller's Year One.

Its funny how people complain about DC's relaunch last year being so messy and not planned out very well. COIE was pretty much just as messy.
Old 07-04-13, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts

First epsiode is July 13th.

http://www.toonzone.net/2013/06/bewa...-july-13-2013/
Old 07-04-13, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll give it a chance but don't really have high hopes for the series based on the clips that have been shown.
Old 07-04-13, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"I'm Batman."
Old 07-11-13, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts

Worldfinestonline has a VERY positive review for the 1st episode.

http://worldsfinestonline.com/WF/bewarebatman/
Old 07-11-13, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 203 Posts

Part of that trailer reminded me of the CG scenes in Mortal Kombat: The Animated Movie.
Old 07-12-13, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Set my DVR to record the series since the reviews so far have been pretty positive and I'm even hearing the show is somewhat similar in tone to Batman: The Animated Series. I have my doubts it will actually be anywhere as good but we'll see tomorrow I guess. I really wish that the animation would be more traditional style rather than CGI.
Old 07-13-13, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 208 Likes on 184 Posts

I enjoyed the episode overall, though I hate that style of CG animation (as I did with "Green Lantern"), -it just lacks any kind of detail and subtlety.

I also enjoyed the "Wonder Woman" vignette, -mostly for its style. Was it concluded in the "Teen Titans" episode (I refuse to record it)?
Old 07-13-13, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I just finished watching today's episode and I thought it was pretty decent. I liked the tone of the show and feel like it could be geared towards older audiences as well as towards a younger audience. I did find the villains used in the episode to be a bit of a surprise and those who don't follow the comics may not even know they exist. I also sort of like that Alfred's background as an MI-6 agent is being incorporated in the show a bit. Bruce Wayne himself is only used sparingly in this episode and just has a couple of scenes at Wayne Manor with Alfred with Batman obviously taking up most of the screen time. The action sequences with Batman were pretty good mostly I thought. Also didn't mind the voice acting for most of the characters. My main thing is still the CG animation style of the show. It's not as bad as I thought it would be but still seems like it'll take getting used to. As of now though I think I'll stick with the show for a while.
Old 07-13-13, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wasn't super impressed with it, but I thought it was decent and I'll at least watch until the end of the season. Like Mike86 said, it has a balance where it can be for young and older audiences. That's a lot better than what they're doing with this Teen Titans Go and Ultimate Spider-Man crap. I honestly don't know who those shows appeal to. When I was younger the Batman and Spider-Man cartoons I watched didn't treat the viewer like they were idiots. So Beware The Batman, while not better than Batman: The Animated Series, is still a lot better than the current trend we're seeing with some other comic based shows.
Old 07-13-13, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,352 Likes on 917 Posts

I watched it, and I gotta say, I was pleasantly surprised. I think the animation style of this lends it style far better to Batman than Green Lantern. I liked that the villains weren't main bad guys, but I hope we do get to see some of the others.

Batman's voice was a bit "off" to me. Just sounded too deep and too old for how old they are portraying him in the show. Beside that minor complaint, I think it was fairly good.
Old 07-13-13, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It was alright. I'll give it another shot but what was up with that weak Pink Panther sequence?
Old 07-14-13, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 780 Likes on 654 Posts

It wasn't unwatchable but the animation is goofy, particularly for the character design of Batman himself. The design for Bruce Wayne looks perfectly acceptable with normal proportions, and then he has impossible proportions in the bat costume with a strange neck.

It really felt like Nolan's version of Batman with a few tweaks. I think they even modulated Batman's voice to some degree.
Old 07-14-13, 02:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was pretty awesome, IMO. Set to record the series on my DVR.

Maybe I just haven't been watching kids cartoons in a few years but it seemed surprisingly mature, too.
Old 07-14-13, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 962 Likes on 590 Posts

I watched this with my son. I personally thought the style of animation was annoying. Voice work was okay and the pig dude & toad thing were pretty creepy. You can keep the younger badass Alfred though. I found that more obnoxious than anything else.
Old 07-14-13, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Seems as though a lot of people aren't aware that Alfred actually has had an MI-6 background in the past. That wasn't entirely made up for this show but it hasn't exactly been touched on a ton except for some comics. I do agree though that I don't know if I love the characterization of him on the show. The design was kind of what threw it off for me.

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
This was pretty awesome, IMO. Set to record the series on my DVR.

Maybe I just haven't been watching kids cartoons in a few years but it seemed surprisingly mature, too.
Cartoons like this are really hit and miss now days if you ask me. A lot of what I see is so dumbed down that it's unwatchable. This did seem to have a good balance like I mentioned earlier of being able to be geared towards younger and older audiences.
Old 07-14-13, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk God

The Justice "trilogy: (JL / JL:U / Young Justice) was not dumbed down in any way.
Old 07-14-13, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
The Justice "trilogy: (JL / JL:U / Young Justice) was not dumbed down in any way.
That's why I said it's hit and miss. Some of them are good but not all of them. For instance I would say a lot of the Marvel stuff is pretty crappy such as Ultimate Spider-Man. Same goes for DC with crap like Teen Titans Go! and the Green Lantern series didn't impress me much from what I saw. Even some of the more recent Batman shows (The Batman, Batman: The Brave and the Bold) while having some moments weren't anything I could watch very frequently without feeling kind of silly for watching. I do realize that Batman: The Brave and the Bold was kind of harkening back to Adam West Batman/Silver Age Batman but still it didn't do a lot for me.

Last edited by Mike86; 07-14-13 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-14-13, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 208 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I watched this with my son. I personally thought the style of animation was annoying. Voice work was okay and the pig dude & toad thing were pretty creepy. You can keep the younger badass Alfred though. I found that more obnoxious than anything else.
This is the direction they went in the "Earth One", - graphic novel aimed at bookstores, -by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank, which attempted to present a more grounded "Batman" for the YA audience. Alfred was presented as more of a "Sean Connery-type" , an older, gruffer, mentor and man of action.
Alfred's gone through a few changes over the years. I believe he was "killed off" during the '60s for a time, and came back (after suffering from amnesia) as a villain called "The Outsider". Back then DC also re-tooled him to have been part of the OSS and involved in WWII espionage. Bringing him up to date makes them go with MI-6, which has been popularized by "James Bond". Older Comics fans can feel free to correct any faults in my memory.

I'm not crazy about this version of Alfred, nor the addition of the girl to increase demographic appeal, but I'll give it another episode (which is more than I've given "Ultimate Spider-Man or the latest incarnation of "The Avengers").
Old 07-14-13, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 780 Likes on 654 Posts

I don't mind the addition of the Asian girl, even though it is blatant pandering to two different key demographics. I did mind that Alfred just introduced her to Bruce and said this will be your new driver. It's gotten ridiculous in recent years, Batman's secret identity is not much of a secret anymore. Half of Gotham City seemingly knows Bruce Wayne is tightly connected to Batman.
Old 07-14-13, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I don't mind the addition of the Asian girl, even though it is blatant pandering to two different key demographics. I did mind that Alfred just introduced her to Bruce and said this will be your new driver. It's gotten ridiculous in recent years, Batman's secret identity is not much of a secret anymore. Half of Gotham City seemingly knows Bruce Wayne is tightly connected to Batman.
I'm not a big fan of it either but on the same token it does sort of make sense to me as to why they do it. It makes certain characters look kind of stupid to be dumbfounded as to the identity of Batman (or any hero really) if the pieces are there to figure it out. Gordon in the comics has had his hunches as to Batman's identity for a while even though he doesn't come out and say it. He's a good detective himself so it makes sense that he'd start piecing it together.

Spoilerized for those who may not have seen The Dark Knight Trilogy
Spoiler:
I also didn't mind the the way Nolan handled it in his films. Lucius knowing who he was made total sense to me. Same goes for not minding when Bruce told Gordon. Bane knew who he was in the comics so I sort of figured he would find out who he was in The Dark Knight Rises too and that led to Selina finding out. The only one that sort of bothered me was Blake figuring it out so easily. I guess you could chalk that up again to him being a good detective though.

Last edited by Mike86; 07-14-13 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-14-13, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk God

anyone else they are pretty much telegraphing the "bodyguard" being Robin? her motorcycle was pretty much a dead giveaway for that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.