Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Spartacus: Vengeance -- Season Finale -- "Wrath of the Gods" -- 3/30/12

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-12, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Spartacus: Vengeance -- Season Finale -- "Wrath of the Gods" -- 3/30/12

I think I pretty much ignored the whole Naevia aspect of the episode because in any real scenario, she's worm food. It started out realistically enough with Ashur easily besting her, but then he had to stop, give bad guy speeches, and twirl his mustache. Cue eyeroll. It'd have been more "honest" if he killed her and then Crixus killed him. But it wasn't completely unearned. They did show her receiving training. They did talk about how hard it is to sever a man's head. They did set up her need for vengeance. It was a weakness, not a bottom falling out.

I look back at how I felt really underwhelmed at the beginning of the season and it really came into its own. As the credits rolled on the finale, I was left thinking, "That was a nice ride." Seeing Crixus, Gannicus, Oaenamus, and Spartacus all fighting together was bromance. I'm glad Oaenamus made peace with Gannicus in the moments before his end (shown not only by his final words, but also in going to the front of the line to hold the rope supporting Gannicus' descent).

As Lucretia went over, I thought, "She didn't have to do that." Just kill Ilithyia and the baby. Or just kill Ilithyia and keep the baby for herself. But no. She's mad (crazy), and mad people do mad things. I would only suggest that in the acting department, there was an absence of underlying suggestion as to her always being crazy. Having been around "off" people who can nevertheless pass for normal, there's always something a bit "off" about them. Lucretia had long periods of seeming totally sane. Her madness was earned within the story, but the acting just didn't portray it to me.
Old 04-01-12, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
Historically he was the first to die.
I know but since they already took liberties with the actual history they could have at least kept him on for at least half of the next season.
Old 04-01-12, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What a great finale. Would had like Spartacus chop Gaber's head or body in half.
Old 04-01-12, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
I know but since they already took liberties with the actual history they could have at least kept him on for at least half of the next season.
The actor who plays him is going to be on True Blood this season so I guess there were scheduling issues too.
Old 04-03-12, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
No its been confirmed she is dead too.
they better get some great tits to replace her fine set
Old 05-10-12, 04:01 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/...y-for-season-3

pics from S3 bootcamp... Manu is a freak!
Old 05-10-12, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Cool stuff. Hope that results in Liam being more buffed up for Season 3.
Old 05-10-12, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I dont want to read the thread cuz I dont have stars and wont watch till i get the blu, but I gotta know. How was the season? Was Batiatus absence a huge hole? Spoiler Free please.

I think outlook is not so good with barely 2 pages of posts
Old 05-11-12, 04:43 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ravenous
I dont want to read the thread cuz I dont have stars and wont watch till i get the blu, but I gotta know. How was the season? Was Batiatus absence a huge hole? Spoiler Free please.

I think outlook is not so good with barely 2 pages of posts

this past season started out rocky... I'm not going to lie... Batiatus WAS missed throughout, however surprisingly the Glaber character really transformed into a complex twisted fuck, so it sort of made up for Batiatus' loss. After about episode 4 I believe, the show kicks in to high gear, and has a finale that will leave your jaw on the floor.

Oh, and the new Spartacus will eventually grow on you, but it won't be until the last couple of episodes of the season. But you will still desperately miss Andy Whitfield.
Old 05-13-12, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the info man! Yea I figured itd be hard to adjust to no Andy and the new guy looks a lot smaller. And I have no idea who Glaber is so I figure new awesome character, and looking forward to that.
Old 05-13-12, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Thanks for the info man! Yea I figured itd be hard to adjust to no Andy and the new guy looks a lot smaller. And I have no idea who Glaber is so I figure new awesome character, and looking forward to that.

If you have seen season one in its entirety you should know who Gaius Clauduis Glaber is (played by Craig Parker). He is the Roman commander that captured Spartacus and directly/indirectly responsible for his wife's death, thus a bitter arch-nemesis for Spartacus. He is also the husband of Ilithyia.
Old 05-14-12, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Or... Darken Raul.
Old 05-14-12, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by ~~ PAL ~~
If you have seen season one in its entirety you should know who Gaius Clauduis Glaber is (played by Craig Parker). He is the Roman commander that captured Spartacus and directly/indirectly responsible for his wife's death, thus a bitter arch-nemesis for Spartacus. He is also the husband of Ilithyia.
Oh, D'uh, thats right! I was totally in Gladiator mode still so totally forgot about those characters (Oor Haldir ). I havent seen S1 in awhile. Been enjoying the swift Gods of the Arena a few times though.
Old 09-16-12, 12:57 PM

Goddamn that was awesome! I will say the season was a step down without Batiatus. Not only that, there were no great lines! The writers must be new or forgot stuff... Gods had that magistrate saying "Words fall from your mouth".... than Batiatus "You kiss my cheek only to finger my ass" etc. Those lines of poetry were gone! That was fucking weird and a huge let down.

I got used to Liam and he made the role his own about 8 eps in Oh and Monsters was beautifully directed! Go back and watch that if youre a film guy. FUcking hated Onemaeas dying, was hoping to see him and Gannicus fighting more ala Vorenus and Pullo.

I forgot all the history so I have no idea whats next (besides the deaths). Whose going to be the main villain? I dont even remember Julius Ceaser playing a part in all this
Old 09-16-12, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Julius Caesar and Marcus Crassus will be Spartacus' main enemies in the upcoming final season. I hope they get some female villains in there too to replace Lucretia and Illythia.
Old 09-18-12, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

I really liked the entire season. It was a little slow going in the first but that was mainly getting used to the new Spartacus. I liked him by the end and felt he did a good job.

I looked forward to watching this entire series chronologically before the new season starts in January.

Hated that Ashur died though. He was a great snake of a man and a fun character to hate and I almost shed a tear when Onemaeas died.
Old 09-20-12, 11:51 PM

Oh hell yea, i hated Ashur dying too. I dont really think we need female villians to get in the way. Its gonna be a cast and hard hitting series and love that Ceaser is coming out.
Old 01-16-13, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

So as fate would have it, just prior to "Spartacus: War of the Damned" starting up my 6 months of free Starz just expired on my DTV account. But as I was looking through the program guide I noticed that the Audience channel is carrying the first episode one day after it appears on Starz. Anyone know if this is a one-off promotional type airing? Or will they carry all the episodes? Sure would beat signing up for Starz for 3 months just for 10 hours of TV.
Old 01-16-13, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Answered my own question. It's a one-off. Looks like Audience did this with last season as well.
Old 01-16-13, 12:37 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
So as fate would have it, just prior to "Spartacus: War of the Damned" starting up my 6 months of free Starz just expired on my DTV account. But as I was looking through the program guide I noticed that the Audience channel is carrying the first episode one day after it appears on Starz. Anyone know if this is a one-off promotional type airing? Or will they carry all the episodes? Sure would beat signing up for Starz for 3 months just for 10 hours of TV.
you can always call DTV CS and get another 3 months. be friendly, but threaten to leave for Verizon or something. I haven't paid for Starz on and off for 3 years now.
Old 01-16-13, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Might end up doing that. I usually time these sort of calls with Sunday Ticket renewal deals as well, but by Jupiter's you-know-what why not get a little winter/spring love from DT V as well.
Old 01-16-13, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Or, given that you obviously like the show, reward the people who produce it and subscribe to the channel.
Old 01-16-13, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

DTV has a current 2-for-1 3mo STARZ/SHO offer going. My 6-month free STARZ and SHO just expired too (probably got the same deal - during the Viacom dispute), so I'll be doing that.
Old 01-16-13, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MikahC
Or, given that you obviously like the show, reward the people who produce it and subscribe to the channel.
The nerve!
Old 01-16-13, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
The nerve!
If you get Starz, after Spartacus ends, the new show "Da Vinci's Demons" will premiere in April shortly after Spartacus ends. It's a period show about Leonardo Da Vinci.

Also, around May or June, the 2nd season of Magic City premieres. If you have no idea what it is, it's about 1950's Miami and the Mob and Gambling scene.

So it's not like there is nothing to watch on the channel besides the movies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.