Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-21-12, 06:30 PM   #126
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Comic Book Men - New AMC reality show set in Kevin Smith's NJ comic shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
He had like a crazy underbite going on. I think he's always had it, but it looked way more severe. Definitely was noticeable.
Tiny teeth. I think he has dentures, now. I first noticed them on Tracing Amy.
Old 02-22-12, 09:07 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by whotony View Post
That name is familiar, who is he?

Looked it up. I think it was from CBG that i read for years.
Comic Book writer for DC and Marvel back in the 70s/80s (still could be?). Short man, was full of himself when I talked to him, as with most that known him. At the time. Known (at the time) for Black superheroes. Had something to do with starting Diamond.

I would go to his place once a week to drop off new comics. Every two or four weeks there was someone new there. His place had really dark feel to it. I never seen his customer base (I was there when the place was not open to the public).

Mesa in Trouble, my DVD/Blu-Ray Collection
Old 02-22-12, 09:39 AM   #128
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked both shows so far and will watch it until it is done. Refreshing to hear Kevin out of his normal realm. Thought the Mewes things was a bit off... wonder if they are trying to get him to be part of it? Anyone know if he gets a cut of anything since his face it part of the logo etc...
Old 02-22-12, 11:02 AM   #129
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosingMyMind View Post
Tiny teeth. I think he has dentures, now. I first noticed them on Tracing Amy.
Yeah, they definitely looked like dentures. They were really the first thing I noticed when I saw him.
Old 02-22-12, 12:23 PM   #130
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
I liked both shows so far and will watch it until it is done. Refreshing to hear Kevin out of his normal realm. Thought the Mewes things was a bit off... wonder if they are trying to get him to be part of it? Anyone know if he gets a cut of anything since his face it part of the logo etc...
I don't think Jay owns any of the store but he may get a cut of the J+SB merchandise. Kevin and Jay do their own weekly podcast and touring show and they use to do a daily show on Kevin's internet radio channel. I think they just brought him on as a "guest star" role.
Old 02-22-12, 02:13 PM   #131
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
I would bet that Mewes sold off any rights/shares he had to any of the Viewaskew universe for some magic beans or crack years ago... It seems to me they humor him out of some weird responsibility they feel for him.
Old 02-22-12, 02:29 PM   #132
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
Yeah, they definitely looked like dentures. They were really the first thing I noticed when I saw him.
They are. He admitted it to Howard Stern a while back.
Old 02-22-12, 02:39 PM   #133
DVD Talk Legend

I watched the first episode and re-read the entire thread again. Funny to read the first posts.

I'm not a fan of any comics, but found this show interesting enough to keep watching. I don't watch any "reality" shows either, but I guess most are like this.
Old 02-23-12, 04:27 AM   #134
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe they wished this guy visited their store if he was still alive

Quote:
DALLAS — Billy Wright plunked down dime after dime for comic books while growing up in the late 1930s and early 1940s, caring for the collection he started around the age of 9 until his death more than half a century later. On Wednesday, most of that collection sold for a whopping $3.5 million.

Wright’s 345 comics, nearly all of which were published from 1936 through 1941, included many of the most prized issues ever, including Detective Comics No. 27, which features the debut of Batman, and Action Comics No. 1, in which Superman’s first appears.

Experts say Wright’s collection, which included 44 of The Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide’s top 100 issues from comics’ golden age, was remarkable for its number of rare issues, but also because it was compiled by a single person in childhood who kept it in good condition until his death in 1994 at age 66.

“This really has its place in the history of great comic book collections,” said Lon Allen, the managing director of comics for Dallas-based Heritage Auctions, which oversaw the auction in New York City.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...iSR_story.html

Old 02-23-12, 06:49 AM   #135
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ouch, only rated a 3.0? Walt would probably spit on him.
Old 02-27-12, 03:23 PM   #136
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The guy who had the Secret Wars collection was the first guy who walked in the store with a graded collection. Most of them were 9.6.

The last guy had a awesome collection with all the old vintage superman and batman comics.
Old 02-27-12, 03:38 PM   #137
DVD Talk Legend

FYI, on this week's TeSD podcast Bryan said all the "walk-ins" were setup by the production crew, but the guys were not told what they would be looking at ahead of time. I'm not sure how they setup the ones where they bring in an expert.
Old 02-27-12, 03:51 PM   #138
DVD Talk Godfather

Some of those old comics were pretty cool, like the first appearence of Wonder Woman. Kind of funny that they're all just shoved in a regular ol box.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 02-27-12, 08:20 PM   #139
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
FYI, on this week's TeSD podcast Bryan said all the "walk-ins" were setup by the production crew, but the guys were not told what they would be looking at ahead of time. I'm not sure how they setup the ones where they bring in an expert.
Well the experts have been Rob Bruce, who from the sounds of it already at the store a lot, and could be there real quick if called. The Star Wars guy, who knows... when the producers set up the guy bringing it in they could have also arranged the Star Wars guy.

The commercial last night was awesome.
Old 02-27-12, 11:07 PM   #140
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
I read a Q&A with Kevin, and he said they put a sign in the store, that anyone who wanted to sell should come back at a specified date and time. That way they could film all the sales at once. The probably just had the experts there for the whole day.

I was pretty bored by the first couple of episodes, but I liked the third one. I guess I had to get used to the guys' personalities (I'm not a Kevin Smith aficionado).

The cheesy commercial cracked me up.
Old 02-27-12, 11:49 PM   #141
DVD Talk Godfather

Surely Walt could have gotten his money back on that tub of comics the first lady brought in. Offering $250 seemed like a joke.

I wonder if we'll ever see anyone buy this stuff that's been brought in on camera. Did they end up selling that Lee Majors figure to the Batmobile guy?

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 02-28-12, 06:00 AM   #142
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fist of Doom View Post
I read a Q&A with Kevin, and he said they put a sign in the store, that anyone who wanted to sell should come back at a specified date and time. That way they could film all the sales at once. The probably just had the experts there for the whole day.

I was pretty bored by the first couple of episodes, but I liked the third one. I guess I had to get used to the guys' personalities (I'm not a Kevin Smith aficionado).

The cheesy commercial cracked me up.
Here's exactly what Bry says 21 minutes into TeSD 101. Keep in mind it came after a rant about critics of the show.

Quote:
I also want to say, just for the sake of every fucking idiot out there who doesn't realize this: No reality show who does a Pawn Star-type deal where people are bring stuff in sets up cameras and then fucking waits for weeks on end for someone to come in and fuckin bring some cool merchandise. Every fucking show has a casting session for people who are actually looking to sell stuff and then they fucking come in with it. And were not told what the stuff is, but, it's real. It actually is real.

But if you such a fuckin moron that you'd think that, like, they just setup cameras and hope to catch cool stuff coming in, nobody does it. Not even fuckin Pawn Stars.
After listening to it again it's possible that "casting sessions" could mean what Kevin is talking about. Just an advertised window for sellers to come in. I presumed it meant that someone screened potential sellers first.

The commercial was funny, but it's a pretty good bet that the whole premise was Walt's idea so he could turn the entire episode into a giant commercial for the Stash.
Old 02-28-12, 08:22 AM   #143
DVD Talk Hero

The prices they were quoting for the "Secret Wars" comics were insane. Aside from the first appearance of the black Spider-Man costume/Venom, isn't the rest of it quarter bin material?

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 02-28-12, 09:41 AM   #144
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Here's exactly what Bry says 21 minutes into TeSD 101. Keep in mind it came after a rant about critics of the show.

After listening to it again it's possible that "casting sessions" could mean what Kevin is talking about. Just an advertised window for sellers to come in. I presumed it meant that someone screened potential sellers first.

The commercial was funny, but it's a pretty good bet that the whole premise was Walt's idea so he could turn the entire episode into a giant commercial for the Stash.
Why does Walt sound and act exactly like Randal? At first I thought he voiced the character for the cartoon.
Old 02-28-12, 10:37 AM   #145
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
The prices they were quoting for the "Secret Wars" comics were insane. Aside from the first appearance of the black Spider-Man costume/Venom, isn't the rest of it quarter bin material?
For a 9.6 CGC graded copy of most of those (which is what it appeared to me to be) you can get anywhere from $20 to $40 per issue. You're paying for the grade, not the book. You may be able to get $80 for No. 8 the first black costume. So my guesstimate would be anywhere from $300 to $520 for the set.
Old 02-28-12, 02:13 PM   #146
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
No, because those books were professionally graded and put in casings (or as the fans call it "slabbed") by the Comics Grading Corp.

So the fact that they were done that and given those high grade numbers raises their prices considerably.

What was shocking was that I still though the quote they gave the guy for those books was still thought of as too low. But I'm just used to seeing CGC books get listed for crazy prices on Ebay so Flanagan could have been more on the nose with the prices then I thought.

But there's no way the guy who bought them only paid $10 for them from a garage sale. Even if he's the one who got them graded by the CGC, they charge everyone who sends them a comic to be graded at least $40 for each book they do.
Old 02-28-12, 02:21 PM   #147
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcougar View Post
For a 9.6 CGC graded copy of most of those (which is what it appeared to me to be) you can get anywhere from $20 to $40 per issue. You're paying for the grade, not the book. You may be able to get $80 for No. 8 the first black costume. So my guesstimate would be anywhere from $300 to $520 for the set.
If it costs 40 bucks just to grade each issue, aren't you coming out way behind?
Old 02-28-12, 03:19 PM   #148
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
If it costs 40 bucks just to grade each issue, aren't you coming out way behind?
Not if you bought them from a guy at a garage sale who didn't know what he had, as the seller claimed. I think that Walt was spot on when he said the guy had paid maybe $10 for the set. If the guy had paid much more than that, he would have reacted differently.
Old 02-28-12, 03:20 PM   #149
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
The guy said he bought them at a garage sale. Maybe the guy who sold them at the garage sale got them in a storage locker, or a tenent moved out and left them. Who knows... I'm sure the person who paid to have them graded wasn't part of this equation.
Old 02-28-12, 04:16 PM   #150
DVD Talk Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Some of those old comics were pretty cool, like the first appearence of Wonder Woman. Kind of funny that they're all just shoved in a regular ol box.
Probably just that way for filming...then he went back outside to the Brinks truck AMC had him arrive in.