TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Comic Book Men - New AMC reality show set in Kevin Smith's NJ comic shop

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-12, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Re: Comic Book Men - New AMC reality show set in Kevin Smith's NJ comic shop

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
By the way, the only way I know Willis was pissed is that I heard it out of Kevin's mouth at a live event in DC. The way he explained it was clearly the tilted toward Kevin Smith version of what happened, but even in it Willis comes off as mostly a guy who was just pissed he somehow got talked into a shit movie with a director barely above amateur status.
I'm sure it's titled towards Smith, but to be fair, for the most part everyone always gushes about working on Smith's movies. The negative stories (Jeremy London, Willis & Linda Fiorentino) seem to be few and far between.
Old 02-14-12, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm sure it's titled towards Smith, but to be fair, for the most part everyone always gushes about working on Smith's movies. The negative stories (Jeremy London, Willis & Linda Fiorentino) seem to be few and far between.
That's what I expected, and the London/Fiorentino stories to me said a heck of a lot more about them than about Smith from all I have heard about them from everybody's side. Willis on the other hand to my knowledge hasn't moaned about it (like I said, I mostly know about it due to Smith) and to me had some pretty good points. That said, there is a pretty layered history between those two with Willis nearly tanking Jersey Girl by rebuffing the fan at the time Smith when approached to do the Will Smith cameo and then Smith doing the Die Hard cameo. While a lot of it could come down to personalities, it really is objectively offensive that anybody would ever hire Kevin Smith to direct based on his skill set. Based again exclusively on what Kevin had to say about it, I think an argument could be made that Bruce Willis actually knows more about the technical side of making a film than Smith does.
Old 02-15-12, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KS talks about the Willis incident in the Too Fat for 40 video. One of the best videos in the series.

Really funny the part where Bruce asked him why is he going to Carnegie.

I'm a KS fan, but not watching this show right now.
Old 02-15-12, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I could literally just go down and hang out at the local comic shop.
At 10pm on a Sunday?
Old 02-15-12, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Also at all the Walking Dead figures on the checkout counter so it's in frame when the camera shows the staff and a shelf full of Walking Dead comics on the wall behind the customer when the camera is on them. Well played AMC, well played.
Don't forget the Clerks action figures

I thought the comic book store would be a lot bigger because Kevin Smith owned it compared to a regular mom and pop store

Ming takes a lot of crap

Surprised nobody gets their collectables and figures graded before taking them to the store and letting the employees touch their stuff with their bare hands but that probably would take away half of the shows content.
Old 02-15-12, 05:21 PM

Having worked in a comic book store and being a collector of books and film-related items this show interested me. I also like Pawn Stars and this is similar to that. I'm not sure how popular this will be or if it will work as an hour show but I'll stick with it for now.

I have a Dawn of the Dead poster with green titles (which is the more rare than the red titles which I'm surprised that expert didn't mention).

I have no doubt those people coming in the store are real and not staged.
Old 02-15-12, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TerryW
I have no doubt those people coming in the store are real and not staged.
I think they are both real and staged. Real in that they aren't actors and that is their stuff, possibly even the transactions are real. Staged in that they are not just walkins. The shots of them entering the shop and the staff saying hi, what you got blah blah, were obviously not genuine. At a minimum they are scheduled, but more likely they were "cast" by the producers looking for people who wanted to be on TV and either have interesting stuff or are interesting themselves.
Old 02-15-12, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Only thing i dont like isnot seeing regular daily business in an open store on a Wednesday.
Interaction with regular customers.
Everything else I'm fine with.
Old 02-15-12, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by wmansir
I think they are both real and staged. Real in that they aren't actors and that is their stuff, possibly even the transactions are real. Staged in that they are not just walkins. The shots of them entering the shop and the staff saying hi, what you got blah blah, were obviously not genuine. At a minimum they are scheduled, but more likely they were "cast" by the producers looking for people who wanted to be on TV and either have interesting stuff or are interesting themselves.
Probably when they are shooting the show, whomever enters the store is told they may be on camera. They may even have them sign a waiver before entering.
Old 02-16-12, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I enjoyed the first ep, I used to listen to SMODcasts with kevin and Scott, but rarely listen now, but once and awhile I still do.

I cannot believe this primo Time Slot for this show.. wow.

I'll keep watching because I like Walt, I liked him on the podcasts and am happy to see him in the forefront.
Old 02-16-12, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by wz42
There was a guy who used to come into a comic book store of someone I knew who *just* was interested in She-Hulk comics.

Everyone one assumed it was an Amazonian fetish of some sort. If they get enough unique characters like that it could be be a viable series.

Or they could follow the trials of the virgins trying to get laid.
Its funny that you would say this. I have some very old Wonder Woman comics from the 1940s. Never gave much thought about it till I watch a show about DC comics. Read them last week. Yup they are right.

I own a comic shop sometime back (had video games that took money, yes I dated myself). Everyone thought I was just a kid that never really left. They would have to bring in people to keep this show going. Really, how many people can talk about a given comic for 40 mins?
Old 02-16-12, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by wmansir
It's been sometime since I walked into a comic shop. Do they still buy comics or just used the old ones that they did not sell new? I'm not talking about comics from 40s, to the 80s.
Old 02-16-12, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drq2
It's been sometime since I walked into a comic shop. Do they still buy comics or just used the old ones that they did not sell new? I'm not talking about comics from 40s, to the 80s.
It depends on the store and the comic book. Locally, Bedrock Comics will definitely buy Gold and Silver Age books. Anything after that will be a crapshoot. I took a complete set of several titles from the 80s to 90s in (all in NM shape) and was told they weren't interested. I told them I was willing to let them go for pennies to the dollar and still no. In fact, I remember then not being too interested in a complete run of Vol. 1 New Mutants.

However, a buddy of mine sold the first 60 issues of Walking Dead to them recently no problem.
Old 02-16-12, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by madcougar
It depends on the store and the comic book. Locally, Bedrock Comics will definitely buy Gold and Silver Age books. Anything after that will be a crapshoot. I took a complete set of several titles from the 80s to 90s in (all in NM shape) and was told they weren't interested. I told them I was willing to let them go for pennies to the dollar and still no. In fact, I remember then not being too interested in a complete run of Vol. 1 New Mutants.

However, a buddy of mine sold the first 60 issues of Walking Dead to them recently no problem.
I used to by close to everything when someone walked in. I only paid .05 back then still. My money was on the new books, they all came from Marvel or DC (I also sold to comic shops). Underworld Comics in Cleveland, Oh was the name. I understand they cannot keep the stock on hand. Still as a shop if you keep saying your not buying. Its only time before your customers stop buying also.
Old 02-16-12, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Walking Dead back issues are in high demand and can go for crazy amounts. New Mutants, aside from #98 (first appearance of Deadpool) not so much.
Old 02-17-12, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Walking Dead back issues are in high demand and can go for crazy amounts. New Mutants, aside from #98 (first appearance of Deadpool) not so much.
Oh I know. I wasn't asking for very much for the New Mutants. I was mostly surprised because of the fact it was a complete set and I was asking pennies to the dollar - not of perceived value but cover price.

I have another buddy who recently sold the first 90 issues of Walking Dead, all first prints for almost 1K.
Old 02-17-12, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cover price isn't really a good indicator. The vast majority of bronze and modern age comics end up in 25 cent bins at stores. Pretty much anything printed after the late 70s, when the direct market was created, is virtually worthless and relatively easy to find.
Old 02-17-12, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
Cover price isn't really a good indicator. The vast majority of bronze and modern age comics end up in 25 cent bins at stores. Pretty much anything printed after the late 70s, when the direct market was created, is virtually worthless and relatively easy to find.

DM started more around 78/79 (Marvel Had Spiderman where you would see the UPC at). You are right about the books, not all are really worth very much. I have the 1st 300 spidermen. I have to say about 50 are worth anything more then $50 if that. This can be said about any comic really.

It's easy to find also came from the DC. It was about how much you ordered (as a store) home much your % per cover price was. My cost was 20% of cover. Look up Alice Copper issue. Talk about way to many out there.
Old 02-17-12, 03:00 PM

I came here to read about the show and it feels like I walked into the show. Comic book nerds!
Old 02-17-12, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
I came here to read about the show and it feels like I walked into the show. Comic book nerds!
Sorry about that, even so my stories about running a Wholesale/Retail comic shop.
Old 02-17-12, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by drq2
Sorry about that, even so my stories about running a Wholesale/Retail comic shop.
No worries. I just found it funny.
Old 02-17-12, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Oh I know. I wasn't asking for very much for the New Mutants. I was mostly surprised because of the fact it was a complete set and I was asking pennies to the dollar - not of perceived value but cover price.

I have another buddy who recently sold the first 90 issues of Walking Dead, all first prints for almost 1K.
Very few stores actively sell back issues these days.

I'd guess that it's a combination of factors:

1) eBay. Most comic book people are also tech savvy and know that they can get more by selling on eBay than by selling to the local shop. They also know that they can buy back issues they want for less on eBay than the local shop.

2) The market has been flooded with so much material that there's really no way to keep a selection of material on-hand in limited floor space. In the 1980s a good selection of back issues wasn't that difficult to keep on-hand, but when DC, Marvel, and a dozen indie companies dump several hundred comics onto the market each month, there's not space to keep all of this shit.

So if I'm running a shop, I'm only going to be on the lookout for back issues I can flip easily... New Mutants #98, Walking Dead #1-10 (or so), Miracleman, golden and silver age books, etc. Those 100 old New Mutants books will just sit in box taking up space.
Old 02-17-12, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Walking Dead back issues are a big deal? Hmm I have 13-70 something...maybe I could get some dough out of that.
Old 02-17-12, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally caught this tonight. It was interesting enough for me to tune in again. FWIW I'm in a camp that grew up loving Clerks/Mallrats....haven't really liked Smith's offerings since then, but don't hate him, an have not interest in his podcasts, and I feel I'd probably hate him if I did listen.

I think the fact that I've become more interested in comics lately, and have a pretty casual knowledge of them, will make this show a bit more interesting for me.
Old 02-19-12, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

$100 for a full set if Crisis On Infinite Earths.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.