Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Comic Book Men - New AMC reality show set in Kevin Smith's NJ comic shop

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-12, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts
Re: Comic Book Men - New AMC reality show set in Kevin Smith's NJ comic shop

This series was a bit more entertaining than I expected so I'm actually happy it's coming back. I think the half hour timeframe will work out fine for it. Hopefully they just keep the format of people bringing stuff in or looking to buy aspect along with some of the podcast stuff mixed in.
Old 06-25-12, 09:38 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I enjoyed the show as well, i liked the toys stuff more than the comics stuff
Old 07-07-12, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm catching up on the remaining episodes I missed from when this first aired. I'm on the Gay Superman/Garage Sale episode, and I really find it hard to believe that the garage sale wasn't staged. I can understand people not recognizing the value of individual books, but this guy who was in their age range was selling 60s comics for $2 a piece? I just found that very hard to believe.

I really enjoy this show so I'm glad it's coming back for a second season. I think the 30 minute format will work better.
Old 07-08-12, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Almost everyone believes that garage sale discovery was staged by producers. Reality shows are as phony as cubic zirconia.
Old 07-08-12, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Xander
And yeah, Bryan comes off as a dick (and may actually be a dick), but he really has a soft spot for his niece.
I read a few articles written by people who met him before this and it seemed that they couldn't believe what a douchebag he was on the show. I guess he was nothing but nice before, so it comes off that that's his schtick for the show.

I thought the zombie tattoo was in completely bad taste, even seeing now that the little girl has Down's syndrome. No matter how out there and weird you are, you need to draw a line. It really rubbed me the wrong way.

Maybe I only really noticed this since I watched 4 episodes in a row, but their blurring techniques are all over the place. In some shots Zack & Miri has been obscured in the DVD spindle then in others its there. Same with drinks, but in the garage sale episode Ming is drinking a Pepsi at the restaurant with the logo on the glass clearly facing the camera and when Bryan is talking about getting his tattoo done, his Sprite Zero can is clearly zeroing in on the screen. In other parts of episodes, if any of the cast has a soda it's blurred. I don't understand how they decided what to and what not to blur out.

They must get some good stuff in there but I don't think we needed to see Incredible Hulk #181 featured twice in two separate episodes.

Looking forward to Season 2. I just wonder what bits they're going to end up cutting out to get the show in a 30 minute slot.
Old 07-08-12, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Almost everyone believes that garage sale discovery was staged by producers. Reality shows are as phony as cubic zirconia.
Yeah, there was hella good shit in those stacks @ $2 apiece. There was no way anyone cannot know they worth a whole lot more; garage sale or not.

Although, I was given a box full of Marvel/DC comics from the 60's and 70's with almost every key issue you can possibly think of. My friend knew exactly what he had but instead of selling it he just gave it all to me; knowing I would never sell them. After all these years I still keep them separate from my own collection.
Old 07-08-12, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

If anyone cares, Kevin Smith has a Hulu show called "Spoilers". It's really just for people who like Kevin Smith and the 'best' weekly mainstream movies. Nothing groudbreaking ... at all. But I still like to watch it. Get a little Kevin Smith. He always has cool, current guests that I like seeing (especially the directors).

But seriously, put on a fucking polo, dude. Enough with those gigantic jersies. You're fat (and so am I). You're not fooling anyone.
Old 07-08-12, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The garage sale episode may have been staged but you never know with some people not knowing what they have is worth. To some people who don't collect comics or have a lot of knowledge they probably just think most comics are worthless and are just looking to get rid of them.
Old 07-08-12, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

That and people in this very thread shared similar tales of finding gems from people that have no idea what they have.

Originally Posted by troystiffler
But seriously, put on a fucking polo, dude. Enough with those gigantic jersies. You're fat (and so am I). You're not fooling anyone.
Yeah, you would think Jennifer would have a little sway in the dude's wardrobe. A team jersey once in awhile is one thing, but a daily corporate jersey shilling for his podcast is overkill...especially orange and blue.
Old 07-08-12, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
To some people who don't collect comics or have a lot of knowledge they probably just think most comics are worthless and are just looking to get rid of them.
Anecdotal, I know, but from my experience, it's the opposite: everyone seems to think they're sitting on a fortune when it comes to comics.
Old 07-09-12, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Anecdotal, I know, but from my experience, it's the opposite: everyone seems to think they're sitting on a fortune when it comes to comics.
Yep. People still think having what was popular in the 90's is still going to now send their kids to college. LOL so fun watching them find out otherwise.
Old 07-09-12, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"But this is over 20 years old! It's got to be worth more than that!"

A dude on Pawn Stars last week brought in a stack of TMNT comics (the vast majority of which were Archie issues) and wanted something like $1,000 for them.
Old 07-09-12, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by troystiffler
If anyone cares, Kevin Smith has a Hulu show called "Spoilers". It's really just for people who like Kevin Smith and the 'best' weekly mainstream movies. Nothing groudbreaking ... at all. But I still like to watch it. Get a little Kevin Smith. He always has cool, current guests that I like seeing (especially the directors).

I've watched a few eps and it was OK. On thing I found funny was how Kevin would do this exaggerated clapping to prompt the audience, at the end of the opening segment for instance. Between the manic grin, the very enthusiastic clapping and the clown jersey he looked like a giant cymbal-clapping monkey toy.
Old 07-09-12, 10:06 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

That.

Craigslist is filled with these people.

RARE PS3. 80GB. 1 CONTROLLER AND MADDEN 2007. $300 NO OFFERS!!!!

Ugh.

But than again...I've picked up many items from people who have no idea what they are sitting on. Ten minutes of my time cleaning it up and I'm flipping it on eBay for $300-$400 profit.
Old 07-09-12, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
I read a few articles written by people who met him before this and it seemed that they couldn't believe what a douchebag he was on the show. I guess he was nothing but nice before, so it comes off that that's his schtick for the show.

I thought the zombie tattoo was in completely bad taste, even seeing now that the little girl has Down's syndrome. No matter how out there and weird you are, you need to draw a line. It really rubbed me the wrong way.
Eh, I listened to him on the Tell Em Steve Dave podcast for a long time. That's pretty much how he comes off there too - cantankerous and sarcastic all the time. If I were Walt (or Ming), I'd have a hard time taking shit from a guy that hasn't worked in years and lives off his parents and girlfriend.
Old 07-09-12, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I suppose that it can go both ways in terms of what a person thinks something is worth. I'm sure there are people who have rare items and have no idea and those who have worthless items who think they're worth a fortune. A lot just depends on the person.
Old 07-09-12, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
That.

Craigslist is filled with these people.

RARE PS3. 80GB. 1 CONTROLLER AND MADDEN 2007. $300 NO OFFERS!!!!
Actually that type of PS3 is fairly desirable, since it supports PS2 emulation (via software), has 4 (as opposed to 2) USB slots, reads SACDs and has an SD card slot. But I don't know about $300 desirable. Although the way that guy worded it makes it sound worse, so I can see your point with Craigslist listings.

Last edited by bluetoast; 07-09-12 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-09-12, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I have a 60gb PS3 I'd sell for $300, but nobody in my area has a clue what that actually means I think very few people remember the first line of PS3s at all.
Old 07-09-12, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I remember even when I got the 80 GB in 2007, the original 60 GB ones were hard to find.
Old 07-09-12, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I have a 60GB paperweight I'd gladly take $100 for.
Old 07-09-12, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain
A dude on Pawn Stars last week brought in a stack of TMNT comics (the vast majority of which were Archie issues) and wanted something like $1,000 for them.
I got a kick out of that. He had no idea on the value and just got them in a storage auction.

He claimed one of the issues in there alone was worth $1000 but I couldn't tell which issue it was in particular. It had an earlier look to it when Eastman and Laird penned them.
Old 07-09-12, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

LOL @ any Archie publication from the 90's being worth anything. Except Jughead's Diner.
Old 07-09-12, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

The hd on my 60g ps3 died six months ago. I loved that thing.
Old 07-10-12, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
I got a kick out of that. He had no idea on the value and just got them in a storage auction.

He claimed one of the issues in there alone was worth $1000 but I couldn't tell which issue it was in particular. It had an earlier look to it when Eastman and Laird penned them.
He had issue #3 of the original Eastman and Laird self published run, which is probably worth $150 retail. I think they offered him $150 for everything (it was like 50 issues or something) which he should have taken. The rest of it was quarter bin fodder at best.
Old 07-10-12, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

I think Discovery is running a comic book show this week along the lines of Comic Book Men.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.